August 21, 2014 / 25 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

100 Jewish Teens Kicked off a Plane: a Teaching Moment

Anyone who read this news story probably had the same thought I had: what a chillul Hashem.
Jewish high school students have been kicked

The speech made an impression every single time. And it was a speech I repeated to my students when we went on trips. It’s a speech I’ve repeated to my own children when we go places.

Children are children. Children and teens will get overexcited and misbehave. But we need to realize that the world does not look at Jewish children as children. They look at them as Jewish children. One need only look at the comments (several of which are blatantly antisemitic) below the news story to see that this is the truth. It’s a message that we as administrators, teachers and parents don’t always take to heart. In an era of self-expression, when everything has to be “fair”, we are not always as strict as we ought to be. I am not blaming the administration or chaperons of Yeshiva of Flatbush for these students’ behavior, and again, I think it could happen to any school- Jewish or not. And as I don’t have all the details, I am in no place to point blame. But I do think this is a teaching moment for us as leaders. How do we educate our children?

There is no question that schools have advanced in terms of teaching techniques and educational technology in comparison to the days when I was in school. But perhaps in some ways, we might be wise to revisit some of the ways of the past in hopes of reintroducing respect to our students.

About the Author: Ariela Davis is a native New Yorker, and the Rebbetzin of Charleston, South Carolina’s historic Orthodox synagogue, Brith Shalom Beth Israel. A veteran educato, she in New York, Israel and Houston, and was recently hired as the Judaic Studies Coordinator of Addlestone Hebrew Academy, Charleston’s Jewish day school. She writes a blog called Constant Comments, which includes meaningful and often humorous perspectives on her life as a Rebbbetzin in the deep South.

15 Responses to “100 Jewish Teens Kicked off a Plane: a Teaching Moment”

My mother also was at Auschwitz and she used to tell me the same thing and I told her she was wrong and she was wrong. All it does is feed into the Antisemitism. The reason I should have behaved was because it was a reflection on me. Jabotinski said that when you deal with an Antisemite you tell him to go to hell. He was right. My father survived the war by being on the run and eliminating these Nazis.

2. Anthony Davis says:

That's good. But I hope you also tell anti-NON-semites to go to hell, too. You know the kind – they hate gentiles and think that gentiles are inferior or subhuman. The kind that use terms like schwarze against black people, too but pretend it doesn't have a negative connotation.

Huh?

4. Ahron Ebert says:

Schwarze is not a negative word in Yiddish. It seems the further a person is away from speaking the yiddish languague the more they think it is. Watch the Movie Blazing saddles where the word is used by Mel Brooks acting as an Indian Cheif. There is is not used negativly. You are just ignorant of Yiddish. Sometimes like any word in any langugue it can be said with a negative tone. You can say "Obama" and have a negative tone and you can say "Obama" with a positive tone.

5. Ahron Ebert says:

The Flatbush kids are very wild. There is a special Coney Island Ave city bus that starts it run at the Yeshiva of Flatbush, by Ave I. The kids are wild and rowdy running around and screaming. They act like public school kids. Anyone can get on this bus and you can see this your self. It is there at dismal time around 4:30pm. Most of the kids are Syrian and in general I see when it comes to road manors the Syrians are selfish especially the woman. That doesn't take away from there being great ba'aly Tzadakah. May H-shem bless them to be able to give more.

6. Cheri Fistel says:

I read the 100 students article thinking there was a major international incident that I should warn someone about. This 100, possibly fractious, students essay is space-occupying drivel.

7. Under no circumstances is this correct behavior, but would the kids in other groups doing the same thing be kicked off? Besides that, why were all l00 on the same plane? bad idea! If in fact they were rowdy enough to get kicked off, there should definitely be accountability, something that is very scarce, nowadays, in schools.

republicc1948 auschwitz? sorry, this is a story about obnoxious kids. It has nothing to do with auschwitz.

9. Dan Silagi says:

Maybe if they acted like public school kids out of Madison HS, they could write a proper English sentence with correct spelling and usage. "Dismal time"? The entire time I spent in high school was certainly "dismal time." "Road manors""? Are those restaurants or restrooms?

10. Alan Kardon says:

You can write all you want about other groups misbehaving, anti-semitism, etc, etc. The bottom line is these kids are not behaving properly. There is no excuse for this. It is a shame if you cannot teach manners to your children or students. You are the cause.

11. Alan Kardon says:

How can you say "Obama" with a positive tone?

12. Dan Silagi says:

Boy, are you way off on this. The kids were kicked off that plane because the captain (or possibly the crew) didn't want to transport 100 teenagers that morning. Being Jewish had nothing to do with it; had it been a Jesuit high school marching band, this guy would have had the same reaction. So there were a few kids texting while the plane was at the gate, so what? You don't have to shut off your electronic gadgets until the aircraft pulls away from the gate. The captain and crew merely ginned up an excuse to remove the kids; maybe he thought they'd get wild once underway.

Collective punishment has its place: In the military. One soldier messes up, the entire platoon is messed up, possibly fatally. This is an extremely important lesson, even if most recruits in boot camp don't think so at the time. These kids were headed to Six Flags, not Ft. Benning!

I'll bet the captain and his crew are neck deep in the Scheisse right now with AirTran. This was totally uncalled for and a violation of the terms and conditions of air travel: You behave yourself, and we'll get you to your destination as expeditiously as possible. Ninety percent or more of those kids did just that, but they were kicked off the plane anyway.

13. Grace Acosta says:

I've had to call my child's school more than once, and tell them that they need to be stricter with her! The teachers and admin are all young, nice, and want to be "friends" with the students. My kiddo needs adults that she can respect and look up to. Knowing where the lines are makes her feel safe. If there's no lines, she gets anxious, and that turns into chutzpah. She's told me as much herself! Do the kids a favor, be in charge, not a buddy.

14. Liad Bar-el says:

Your daughter would fit very well in Israel.

15. Joe Casey says:

The real problem is the school and Jewish Orgs are going to blame the airline for being anti-Semitic. They are already "calling" (i.e., pressuring) for an investigation. This is why these kids act so entitled. The blame for their arrogance and their lack of consideration falls to their community. Send them to public schools or to private schools that are not all Jewish or all white or all anything for God's sake. Raise them to be human beings not Jewish human beings.

US President Barack Obama speaking on the phone last month aboard Air Force One.
US Reveals Failed Summer Mission to Rescue Captured Journalist
Touro-012414-Goals

We all got degrees. We got married. We had families. We worked. We and were Koveih Itim

UNHRC war crimes panel head William Schabas - Not a good Schabas

But the real culprit is William Schabas, who by comparison makes Richard Goldstone look like a saint

South Africa of Flag

“The Jewish board of deputies, who are complicit, will feel the wrath of the People of SA with the age old biblical teaching of an eye for an eye.”

Doug Goldstein

Discussion on recent changes to Social Security benefits and how it will effect you.

I do not understand why Bibi or anyone else (Obama) would ever contemplate accepting any terms by an organization that states loud and clear their goal of Israel’s destruction.

It’s the 4th time in 5 years Maccabi Haifa has traveled to America to play against NBA competition.

The media dumped on the “Lehava” people as extremist – racist and should mind their own business.

What is the point of having our own state when it cooperates with those who are against us?

It was the “first family event I missed due to aliyah.”

Antisemitism, stupidity, fear, or exaggeration?

“If I’m not back in 5 minutes, I’m dead” Lt. Eitan lead a group of soldiers into the tunnel, warning them that it could be booby trapped and that if danger arose, they needed to open fire immediately. “There, I saw Hadar’s blood and his equipment.” To his right, Eitan found bags blocking the passage […]

I am a right wing religious Jewish settler and I HATE seeing pictures of kids in Gaza who are dying or suffering because of this war.

Doug speaks with World Chess Cahmpion Magnus Carlsen.

If they weren’t true they would be funny!

Professor Aumann: Instead of hitting the opponent… step back and allow the opponent to hit himself

A letter from a survivor who recounts the horrors of the 1929 pogrom in Hebron.