April 16, 2014 / 16 Nisan, 5774
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

50 Reasons to Make Aliyah

Oh – there’s one that I forgot – Obama may be re-elected tonight. Gevalt!

Aliyah

Photo Credit: Kobi Gideon / FLASH90

Share Button

A few readers have written me lately, saying that my blogs are too hard-hitting, and that I would have better results with honey than with smashing people over the head with a sledgehammer.

I am not totally convinced.

Many people have barricaded themselves in Diaspora ghetto communities who walls are as thick as bomb shelters when it comes to the mitzvah of living inIsrael, and a sledgehammer is needed to chip their defenses. But for a change, I’m willing to give honey a try, so I’ll try to post a few blogs that are dripping with love and see what reactions I get. Let’s start out with listing 50 reasons for making aliyah. Oh – there’s one that I forgot – Obama may be re-elected tonight. Gevalt!

50 Reasons to Make Aliyah:

1. To get closer to G-d.

2. To fulfill the Torah commandment to live in the Land of Israel.

3. To perform the mitzvot in the place they were meant to be performed, and not in a place where we do them as reminders, so that we will still remember how to perform them when we return to the Land.

4. To live in the Land of our Forefathers.

5. To live in the Land of Prophecy.

6. To live in the Land that Hashem promised to the Jews.

7. To break free from being a despised stranger in gentile countries.

8. To escape gentile cultures and the spiritual pollution of the Diaspora, which clouds and distorts pure Jewish thinking and prayer.

9. To play a part in the ingathering of the exiles.

10. To play a part in Israel’s Redemption.

11. To play a part in the rebuilding of Jerusalem.

12. To actualize our daily prayers to return to Israel and thus be true to the words that we say.

13. To make the wish, “Next year in Jerusalem” a reality.

13.  To have a government of Jews.

14. To have a Jewish army.

15. To live in a country according to the Jewish calendar.

16. To live in a country where the official language is Hebrew.

16. So your children won’t intermarry.

17. So your grandchildren won’t intermarry.

18. So your great grandchildren won’t intermarry.

19. To forget about Xmas.

20. To erase the Chillul Hashem of living in a foreign land, where the gentiles mock G-d, saying that He doesn’t have the power to keep His People in Israel.

21. To live amongst Jews.

22. To live in the place here prayer ascends to Heaven.

23. To live in the place of the Shechinah, the Land that Hashem watches over from the beginning of the year to the end.

24. To live in the Land where Avraham, Yitzhak, and Yaacov lived and are buried.

25. To live in the Land where every place I walk earns me a higher place in the World to Come.

26. So my children will grow up to be proud Jews.

27. So my children will grow up without dual identities and schizophrenic complexes.

28. Because Israeli women are the real thing, not trying to be like shiksas, and Israeli men aren’t teenagers who never grow up.

29. Because Israeli mothers still cook meals for the family.

30. Because there is more Torah in Israel than anywhere else in the world.

31. Because there are more Torah Gedolim in Israel than anywhere else in the world.

32. Because there are more frum communities in Israel than anywhere else in the world.

33. Because there are more yeshivot, heders, Talmud Torahs, religious colleges and religious schools for girls in Israel than anywhere else in the world.

34. Because the Kohanim bless the congregation each day.

35. Because of the extra mitzvot you can only do in the Land.

36. To become a bigger Jew, ready to live for the Clal, to become a building of our Nation in our Land, even if it means sacrifice, rather than living a small private life motivated by my own personal interests and pleasures.

37. To live in a place where my taxes support yeshivot, Tzahal, Jewish charity organizations, terror victims, Jewish hospitals, the city of Jerusalem, the ingathering of the exiles….

38. To be near Jerusalem.

39. To be near the Kotel.

40. To be in the place where the Jewish holidays are natural to the climate of the Land.

41. Because of the beautiful biblical scenery.

42. Because the food is great with the most delicious kosher pastries and cakes in the world.

43. Because you can get bagels in Israel too.

44. Because radio broadcasts begin in the morning with “Shema Yisrael.”

45. Because of the modern apartments and fantastic villas and the most beautiful men and women in the world.

46. Because of the thriving economy.

47. Because Israel’s an international leader in high-tech.

48. Because of the excellent medical care.

49. Because of the respect for the elderly.

50. Because that’s where I truly belong and where G-d wants me to be.

Is there something I missed? Please send them in with your comments!

Share Button

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." For the past several years, he has written a popular and controversial blog at Arutz 7. A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of The Jewish Press

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

37 Responses to “50 Reasons to Make Aliyah”

1. Yaacov Barak says:

Reason #51 To be able to have a shabbos meal with Tziv Fishman and his amazing family.

2. you forgot my garden tzvi tut tut tut the prettiest cutest garden in city centre which delights all who pass by. a childrens paradise. and the 2 huge eucylaptus trees from the time of moshe montifore opp our house with the bet knesset hesid and rahamim with the 12 tribes of israel engraved in the door, and eshet hayl, and in the bet knesset my shmuel one of the best carpenters in jerusalem, did some wood work for them. how can you forgot the garden my gift to jerusalem? you see we here whatever we do its for all of us to enjoy and share and here it counts and means something and brings lights down from heaven and the geulah.

3. Suzie Muñoz Cunza says:

my famili go israel in aliyah they liven in elon more family vaez gamzu issac y mathel.

4. Luna Keren says:

Because is the only place where your neshama can be happy!

5. besides that most of your reasons are similar, you have 2 13's & 2 16's. Do you know that most word processor software has a feature called Numbered Bulletpoints? #613: [OnlyInIsrael] You'll have a chevruta session with your taxi driver discussing this weeks Parsha. [FromTheBasementOfTheScienceBuilding]

6. Liad Bar-el says:

Esau hates Jacob (Gen 27:41). America is ruled by the family of Esau. Israel is ruled by the family of Jacob.

7. #51. Obama was re-elected.

8. Stephanie Armstrong says:

I want to make aliyah so bad and last nights election results just makes me that more determind.

9. I do not like most of this list.. this list is ok for people coming from eastern countries but for us in the west like me, some is offensive I am not Jewish but I married a Jew. not for religion but for love.. We don't have kids together we are to old but I take offense and this man thinking that Christmas is a bad thing when I love that tradition.. It means something to me. I don't judge others traditions so why make a statement like this. If you wish others to take Israel seriously running down others beliefs is not going to make it better. If you want to be accepted then accept my tradtions. I want to move to Israel. This might stop me. I don't judge others. If I am going to be judged I can stay where I am and at least have piece of mind that no one is going to dislike me because I'm Christian.

10. Liad Bar-el says:

Sandra, maybe you don't know what we believe concerning your holiday xmas. http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

BTW, I read that you had to put your dog down. I had a Bassett Hound for 17+ years before I had to put her down. No more pets for me. In the end they break your heart.

11. Chaiya Eitan says:

Because there are jobs here…..

12. Eric Tamez says:

This article reminds me of that old Paul Simon song– ''There must be 50 ways''. I love it.

13. Jessica Herman Owens Gräf says:

Einfach das wegen:-)

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
Tzvi Fishman, author of the Jewish Press blog Felafel on Rye and author of more than a dozen books.
Blue Valley High School, Overland Park, Kansas, the school attended by 14-year-old shooting victim Reat Griffin Underwood.
Kansas Shooting Suspect a White Supremacist, Indicted for Murder
Justin Hayet (second from right) at the State University of New York at Binghamton, supporting Israel against anti-Israel attacks.

Pro-Israel leaders on campus are as important as the troops in the IDF and professional hasbaraniks.

Children re-enacting the Exodus from Egypt, in southern Israel, April 10, 2014.

The seder reminds us of our freedom now that we are home again in the land of the Nation of Israel

IDF Crew Chiefs on Elite Helicopter Mission. Jan. 13, 2014

IDF helicopters are ready to act on a moment’s notice to defend the State of Israel.

The Samson Super Hercules aircraft ensures the IDF can safeguard Israel from far beyond her shores.

Rudoren and the Times are determined to go the extra mile to humanize Barghouti.

Gazans are among the principal victims of the terror-addicted Hamas Islamists.

Factors that you need to take into account when deciding whether to rent or buy a home.

Intelligence organizations seek enemy’s secrets; for the past 35 years, all secrets are on computers.

Guest Blogger Robert proves that one must not eat any Matzah on Pesach based on an article in Vosizneias.

Students most in danger of going OTD are those with damaged egos from teacher inattentiveness.

It is unfair to judge a 52 year old man with the glasses of a person who lives in a different world.

The president of the Cambridge Satchel Company talks about the exponential growth of her company.

The Arabs didn’t miss an opportunity for peace. Their goal has always been something else entirely.

Before Begin’s policy of withdrawing from Land liberated in the 6 Day War, today’s scenario was unthinkable.

Rosh Chodesh Nissan commemorates the very first mitzvah.