November 22, 2014 / 29 Heshvan, 5775
IDC Herzliya Campus A Day on Campus

To mark IDC Herzliya’s 20th anniversary, we spent a day following Prof. Uriel Reichman, IDC’s founder and president, and Jonathan Davis, VP for External Relations, around its delightful campus.

Exacting Vengeance on the Gentiles?

Seeing the sight of Jesus on a cross must have made them feel like they were seeing Avodah Zara in the Beis HaMikdash.
A figure of Jesus on the cross defaced in Hebrew opposite the grave of Rabbi Nachman in Uman, Ukraine, Aug. 14, 2013.

Photo Credit: Alena Vovchenko / JTA

It would be similar to a Jewish patient being admitted to a hospital run by Catholics which have a crucifix in every room and defacing the one in your room with anti Christian graffiti.  Can you imagine a response by a that was similar to the Breslover response in Uman? ‘We respect other religions but not all of our coreligionists do so please remove the cross from his room or more of them will be damaged and we will end up in a war between Christians and Jews’.

This is not a response. This is an excuse… and a means of trying to get rid of that statue via a subtle threat.

That said – if I were the Ukranian government I would relocate the statue just to avoid conflict and thereby continue the positive impact tens of thousands of tourists have on their economy. But at the same time I would privately resent the reason I had to do so – the disrespect of these Chasidic Jews of my god.

The real solution to this – so that it never happens again – is for the Breslover religious leadership to re-educate their coreligionists to never do anything like that again and instead act like civilized human beings at all times. I’m not even sure if asking them to move the statue politely without any prior vandalism is appropriate. They are your hosts. Be grateful for their hospitality! Breslover leadership has to realize that if they are going to get along with others in the world, they have to teach their flock to behave like human beings at all times… and keep their outrage to themselves.

Visit Emes Ve-Emunah .

About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at hmaryles@yahoo.com.

9 Responses to “Exacting Vengeance on the Gentiles?”

1. John Keytack says:

What???

2. Shemayah Shiloh Phillips says:

I say good for them! Yes, it is Avodah Zarah, and a filthy thing from a filthy religion. But doing it in a Christian dominated country? Yikes!! You might think these Breslovers are a bit crazy but you never see crazy like Christian crazy.

3. Ron Lewenberg says:

Tolerance has to go both ways and must be taught. The cult of victimhood has to stop for the sake of Jews, especially the Hasidim who are so dependent on the tolerance of others.
    Shemayah, your bigotry is filthy and self destructive. You are a 1905 cossack in slightly different garb.

4. Karen Renea says:

When is the last time, you saw a Christian…a REAL ONE deface in any way, anything symbolic to Judaism or Israel? There is NO excuse for this behavior. Christians love the Jewish people, and recognize that the early church was made solely of Jews, for several years in the beginning. Jesus indeed was the son of God and if Jews that profess to know scripture would open their eyes and actually see the prophecies of Jesus being foretold, they would know he came to save them as well. A Jewish person has no greater friend than Christ or a Christian.

5. Karen Renea says:

A jew has no greater friend than Christ or a REAL Christian. The thing is, some may “CALL” themselves Christians, but if their actions are not Christ-like, (and that is to obey the Commandments and the teachings of Christ, who was the only begotten son of God, and who fulfilled all prophecies of his coming when he came.) then that person may Call themselves Abraham for all that it matters, but they are not Christians. Just as Jesus told his people when he was here. Abraham saw my day and was glad. But true evangelical Christians love the Jewish people, Israel and would do no harm to neither..however this cannot be said in reverse. The thing is, Christ came to break down the barrier between God and man, he is the one true Lamb that was sacrificed to be that bridge to the Holy of Holies, in the TRUE, no longer in the shadow. Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for his friends (New Testament John 15:13) Zec_13:6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. Who exactly do you think Zechariah was talking about here? Who else could call Israel “friend” and who else died to break down the barrier? Jesus nor any true follower of Jesus and the one true God, is an enemy to Israel, or an enemy of Judaism…it is the very root in which holds the branch…the OLIVE ONE you could say to the Jewish people and to true Christians. Joh 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
    Joh 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
    Joh 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
    Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
    Joh 15:21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.
    Joh 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
    Joh 15:23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
    Joh 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
    Joh 15:25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. Psa 35:19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause. Psa 69:4 They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away. Psalms 22: 1-8; Mark 15:28-39…and well over a 100 more…

6. a person on a cross, is a roman catholic symbol, nothing to do with christianity. Christ has risen, He is no longer on the cross. roman catholics don't seem to understand this, that Christ lives in a person' s heart, and we don't need crosses or statues to know His Word. this is roman catholic idolatry. so I am not surprised it angered some of the Jews, there was no need of this affront.

7. karen we dont worship statues or crosses, Christ has risen this is the joy which is in our heart, the vatican still has Christ on the cross, and they have no idea what He looked like as the only passage in the Bible we can go by Christ appearance is Isaiah chapter 53

8. Mick Bolton says:

Glad I’m an atheist. A plague on ALL religions.

9. Ahron Ebert says:

Of course he was the son of G-d. He was Jewish and all Jews are the children of G-d. See first tractact of The Talmud.

Binyamin and Chaya Maryles, uncle and aunt of Emes Ve-Emunah author Harry Maryles.
Yeshiva Beit Orot
2 Yeshiva Students Injured in Friday Night Terrorist Attack
President Ruby Rivlin

President Rivlin’s recent statements are only half right, and that’s why he’s completely wrong.

i_love_jerusalem

This is our song “Learn to Love;” May joy and light be restored to Jerusalem speedily in our days.

Free-Jonathan-Pollard-Poster

I have a dream…President Obama will go to that prison, Pardon Jonathan Pollard and set him free

Rabbi-Twersky-112114

The burden of proof that a person is against Israel but not anti-Semitic rests on that person.

Bibi’s promising a good battle, not a victory in the war; We need to WIN the war against terrorism!

For 1000s of years it was perfectly OK for Jews to pray on Herod’s Extension of the Temple Mount.

The focus on the “Occupation” since 1967 is yet another invention to justify hatred and murder.

It should be clear Israel’s existence is not the real issue; the issue is Islamic fundamentalism.

But I am not afraid.I know this is Jewish land, not because of UN/foreign gov’ts saying we can exist

A grassroots initiative of hundreds of Chareidim from Har Nof is underway to attend the funeral of Zidan Saif and to pay their respects to the fallen policeman and to the Druze community in the village of Yanuch-Jat in Northern Israel.

Discover the world of NY high society and its intrigue.

A Jew is no more exempt in this war by living in the US or UK than I am enlisted by living in Efrat

Officer Zidan Sayif saved lives in the Har Nof Massacre, but was shot in the head and is now fighting for his life.

“Y.E.” a United Hatzalah paramedic was injured while treating the wounded under fire in the Har Nof Massacre.

It is time the leaders in Israel and the world realize this has nothing to do with settlements or the Temple Mount or a fake claim of occupation and everything to do with radical Islamic barbarism!

The Leftist Israeli media has always been unabashedly political;To them “objective”=”in my opinion”

More Articles from Harry Maryles
Rabbi-Twersky-112114

Peter Kassig, American aid worker, former Army Ranger, next to be threatened with beheading by ISIS.

Artifacts are not what make the Jewish people great; it is our conduct that does.

The RCA stated their review will add protection for the convert and not tamper with Halacha.

It undermines the tenets the rabbi preaches to his congregants when his wife does not live by them

Argue with Rabbi Gordimer on the merits;Go ahead. What Rabbi Katz did went well beyond the pale.

Fiddler on the Roof moved some Jews to explore their roots; it actually led some to become observant

It is the acceptance of all Halacha that is important – not the immediate knowledge of them.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/blogs/haemtza/exacting-vengeance-on-the-gentiles/2013/08/21/