February 28, 2015 / 9 Adar , 5775

Of Davenning, and OTD (Off the Derech)

Being frum today is an upper-middle-class pursuit.

vg02

So – that is my lament. I don’t see it getting better. It will get worse before it does. I just hope that my own children and grandchildren survive it. As for me – I feel more distant from Orthodoxy today than I have felt for fifty years. And I will continue to try to daven.

Visit Emes Ve-Emunah .

About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at hmaryles@yahoo.com.

17 Responses to “Of Davenning, and OTD (Off the Derech)”

1. Ken Goldman says:

my feelings as well

2. Ken Goldman says:

my feelings as well

3. Ettie Cohen says:

Very well put & to the point!

4. Ettie Cohen says:

Very well put & to the point!

5. Anthony Kent says:

Over the pond in the UK, you are correct regarding rigid black and white only services. However, I see more pockets of diversity – small orthodox minyanim without strict dress codes, modern tunes, competent lay members giving shiurim. All is not lost; Centrist orthodoxy here is much higher % wise of the overall community thanks to great inspiring leaders such as Emeritus chief Rabbi Sacks.

6. Jonathan Weisman says:

Nice article

7. A little off subject but highly interesting. Even the ignorant in the foothills of Kentucky, once under the anointing of the Holy Spirit have been filmed davening. Also, the dance they did, now done in Pentecostal churches, is the same dance the ancient Israelis did and still do. Hmmmm……

8. Mariantha Harris says:

Well done and completely honest and truthful!!! Imagine all of that and additionally being a Jew of color!!!! Just yesterday I attended a Yom Kippur service where the music was wonderful and the service in general quite "nice"!! Albeit the environment was totally unfriendly!!!! Not one person spoke to me…… I think that I was invisible!!! I did wish one person "L'Shana Tova"!! They responded mildly shocked!!! And this was the DAY of atonement!!!! I am not amazed why people leave Orthodoxy in general and Judaism in general!!!! There are few, if any warm and inviting places that follows the Torah principle of making the" stranger" welcome. Being OTD will continue to escalate until all Jews truly return to Torah!!

Another story/column criticizing observant Judaism. We're our own worst enemy! Maybe the anonymous author should join a so-called Reform congregation (spitting). They have completely "modernized" the service, have no dress code (other than women should wear yarmulkes and tallesim), and do everything possible to dilute the tradition, in the name of being "inclusive" and having a feel-good. "personally-meaningful" experience. In fact, you or your kids don't even have to be Jewish to join!

10. David Blatt says:

Well done Harry Maryles

11. David Blatt says:

Well done Harry Maryles

12. David Blatt says:

Well done Harry Maryles

13. Not every one will accept you. Don't expect people to make u happy. U must rely on the happiness from within. There is discrimination every were. Even within the family circle just that it is easy to overlook. Remember, be the change you wish for. If you like the way they worship then establish yourself there and make the way for others of your color. Remember MARTIN LuTHER KING jr never ran away

14. Mariantha, I understand how you must feel. Maybe the Jews would return to Torah if not for the leaders who commit such acts of discouragement.

15. Mariantha, I understand how you must feel. Maybe the Jews would return to Torah if not for the leaders who commit such acts of discouragement.

Binyamin and Chaya Maryles, uncle and aunt of Emes Ve-Emunah author Harry Maryles.
18,000 Iranian Centrifuges
Reducing Iran’s Number of Centrifuges Makes a Bomb More Likely
Herzog & Livni

AMERICAN INTERFERENCE in ISRAELI ELECTIONS is IMMORAL and 1000% CHUTZPADIK!

Baruch Marzel (left) and Hanin Zoabi

Extremism from Jews is considered a “danger;” Arab extremism and anti-Jewish terror is “legitimate”

Gaza-flood-300x168

It was in fact Israel, not Palestinians or journalists, who began spreading the older photos, in order to generate credibility for the “slander” angle.

3 Episodes from the Book of Esther

Next week we celebrate Purim, more relevant and illuminating in light of current events than ever

“They all attack each other” is how David described campaign tactics. “Welcome to politics, my son,”

Most Israelis think kowtowing to US demands to get on Obama’s “good side” won’t work and isn’t right

Big questions this week: Does materialism make people happy? Can one be happy with what they have?

A Rosh Yeshiva guessed 60% of bochurim in Israel’s yeshiva system belong there only 3-4 yrs post HS

Wednesday evening 25th of February there’s just the event for Anglos to attend, The Anglo Vote!

3 men pin the terrorist. In the white shirt is Jerusalem’s Mayor Barkat, taking a hands-on approach

The necessity for setting financial goals and how to realize your life’s dreams.

Not long ago Israelis waited nightly during campaigns for TV broadcasts of election campaign movies

I heard men singing…I saw men dancing. Can you imagine? It’s literally FREEZING out there! WOW!

Lapid is not anti-Haredi; He’s pro-Haredi in his way, wanting them to flourish. and join society

Israelis don’t want anyone but Bibi as Prime Minister, no matter which party they plan to vote for.

B’Zechutan is the true Social Justice party, understanding the majority,the poor, the struggling

More Articles from Harry Maryles
Rabbi Pappenheim

Copenhagen Great Synagogue

If Bibi is in the US already Pres. Obama MUST meet with the leader of America’s closest ally!

Sherut Leumi is the national service many women choose in lieu of military service-

My understanding of Footsteps is that they have no religious – or anti-religious agenda.

A violent confrontation between 2 groups erupted at the Ponevezh Yeshiva; dozens injured

There should be more information about intimacy disseminated to young people before they get married

Scenario: When you and your spouse got married you were on the same page religiously; now…

In the Hareidi world, Torah study is worshipped to the exclusion of all else. Nothing else matters

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/blogs/haemtza/of-davenning-and-otd-off-the-derech/2013/09/15/