October 23, 2014 / 29 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

The ‘A’ Word

And of course Apartheid Israel is a bold faced lie. A big lie. The Big Lie of the 21st century. The kind of lie used by Hitler’s Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.
US Secy of State John Kerry will soon be on his way to London to meet with PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.

Photo Credit: Matty Stern / US Embassy of Tel Aviv/Flash 90.

I am not one of John Kerry’s fans. I did not vote for him when he ran for President. And I did not support him as President Obama’s choice for Secretary of State. I had always seen Kerry’s support for Israel to be somewhat lacking in decisiveness. I simply wasn’t sure where he really stood despite his positive voting record.

Now that he has been in office for some time, I have come to a better understanding of his position. He indeed has a more favorable view of Israel than I had once thought. His views do not match mine. But I am convinced that his support for Israel is strong.

Understandably as Secretary of State he has always tried to counterbalance his support for Israel with support for the Palestinians. But in the balance, I believe his support for Israel is real – even while I disagree with his obsession to get some sort of peace deal between the two peoples.

Not that I don’t want peace. I absolutely do. And I would support any compromise that would work toward that end – provided of course that Israel remain a free, safe, and secure Jewish State. The problem with Kerry is that he is blind to the fact that it is currently impossible to achieve that. As long as there is a Hamas or a Hezbollah whose clearly stated objective is to wipe Israel off the map – an objective that they constantly act upon by firing rockets indiscriminately into populated areas of Israel… and as long as there is an Iran and an Islamic fundamentalist belief that Israel must be eradicated by any means necessary… there is no possible way to have any kind of peace agreement that will hold.

I bring all of this up in light of the recent Apartheid statement made by Kerry. In his attempt to express the urgency of making peace he said that if Israel doesn’t do it, it is in danger of becoming an Apartheid State. (He made similar comments recently about the possibility of another Intifada.)  All of this quite nicely fitting into the Palestinian narrative.

As one editorial indicated, using the word Apartheid in any context with Israel is the new Antisemitism.  And of course Apartheid Israel is a bold faced lie. A big lie. The Big Lie of the 21st century. The kind of lie used by Hitler’s Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels. He is famous for saying that if you repeat a big lie often enough people will start believing it. Goebbels  filled the air with a media campaign full of disgusting lies about the Jewish people. And that  made many people believe that Jews were the vermin they he said they were.

Why is using Apartheid in the context of Israel a Big Lie? Aren’t the two peoples separate and apart? Do not the Palestinians suffer because of Israel’s security needs? They do. But not because Israel discriminates against them racially, religiously, ethnically, socially, or any other way. It is because they have no choice.

The security fence that for example causes so much grief to Palestinians was built for lack of any other way of securing its borders from attack by suicide bombers from Judea and Samaria (the West Bank of the Jordan River). Since the security fence was built, there haven’t been any. Prior to that, it seemed like an everyday event.  There are other inconveniences that Palestinians feel at the hands of Israel for security reasons. But to say that this is in any way Apartheid – or that this will lead to Apartheid – is not only an insult to Israel, it is an insult to South African blacks who actually lived through it!

I am reminded of a presentation made by David Olesker, founder and director of JCCAT (Jerusalem Center for Communication and Advocacy Training) at an HTC Melave Malke last year. He told us that the amount of cruel anti black legislation and treatment of black South Africans then versus the way the State of Israel treats its West Bank Arabs now are worlds apart. The differences are so many, it would take hours to list and describe them.

But Anne Bayefsky of the Touro Institute on Human Rights said it best. From Fox News:

It makes no difference to the anti-Semite how preposterous the charge is. One-fifth of Israel’s citizens are Arab, enjoying more democratic rights and freedoms than in any Arab state. With Israeli Arabs elected to the Israeli parliament, appointed to the Israeli Supreme Court, and senior members of Israel’s foreign service, the charge is patently false. The claim also stands in marked contrast to Palestinian insistence that no Jews will be allowed to settle in “Palestine.”

The very idea of a Jew inhabiting Arab-claimed territories has been labeled the crime of “Judaization,” now a familiar term in U.N. parlance. Palestinian children’s textbooks, media, and public events of all kinds, are notoriously anti-Semitic.

The apartheid shoe fits in the Arab-Israeli conflict – on Judenrein Palestine.

The responses to Kerry’s Apartheid statement are understandable. Florida Senator Marco Rubio called Kerry’s statement “outrageous and disappointing.” House Majority leader Eric Cantor has called for Kerry to apologize to both the Israeli government and people.  And he has asked that the President repeat  an earlier rejection of any such comparison as historically inaccurate and emotionally loaded. Texas Senator Ted Cruz has asked for his Kerry’s resignation as Secretary of State and called upon the President to accept it.

Kerry has apologized for that statement citing his over 30 years of support for Israel.  From the New York Times:

Mr. Kerry added that he did not believe that Israel was an “apartheid state” or that it intended to become one. Mr. Kerry did not dispute that he had used the phrase but said it had led to a “misimpression” about his views.

“If I could rewind the tape, I would have chosen a different word to describe my firm belief that the only way in the long term to have a Jewish state and two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two state solution,” he said.

I believe him. I do not for a minute think he ever believed that Israel was or will be an Apartheid state. He simply misspoke. In his zeal pursuing peace – he used a word he shouldn’t have – and probably didn’t really mean. I think what he really meant is that relations between Israelis and Palestinians can only get worse if things continue as they are.

I know about misspeaking. I have used words both publicly and privately that I wish I could take back. Even as recently as this weekend in a private conversation I had with someone – I used a word that I did not mean which only had the slightest connection to what I really meant. And that created hard feelings that were terribly hurtful to him. I had conveyed a message that I never intended to convey. And no matter how much or how sincerely I apologized for using that word – I suspect that I will never be trusted by him again – even though my apology was accepted.

Sometimes we misspeak and use words intending one meaning – but whose common understanding of them is quite another. It happened to me, this weekend. And I believe that this is what happened to Kerry.

This does not mean that I support what he has been doing in Israel since his tenure has begun. I don’t. Even as I believe his desire for peace is sincere, his efforts are futile and a waste of time. That should be obvious to everyone by now.

But neither do I believe his mistaken use of words like ‘Intifada’ or ‘Apartheid’ are anything more than a misguided attempt to push that agenda forward. An agenda of peace that he believes is in everyone’s best interests. It would be – if it were possible. But as I said it is obviously not under current conditions. I therefore think Kerry should expend his efforts elsewhere. But I also think we ought to accept his apology and move on.

Visit Emes Ve-Emunah . / Harry Maryles

About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at hmaryles@yahoo.com.

61 Responses to “The ‘A’ Word”

1. and we must recognise jerusalem and give it to the jews as their capital forever than turnining a blind eye to.kerly u must resign because u dont know the motives of islamic race are.they want israel to dispear just like ottoman empire sucked roman empire 1453.

2. Sadly, Kerry usually speaks what he is thinking, or in this case what his boss is thinking.

3. Excuse me BUT a diplomat , if you can call Kerry that, should think ten times before opening his mouth. No excuse.

4. Dani Katz says:

He has ‘foot and mouth’ disease and when he has both feet in, he is full of it!

5. Janek El says:

problem is that while misstating your case you never were Secretary of State. Big Difference! In other words no comparison.

6. He was just checking to see if it would fly. It obviously did not. Don’t trust that snake.

7. Daniel Lang says:

Not the first time he has “misspoken.” Won’t be the last.

8. He is an idiot, and should resign

9. Anna Bishop says:

Freud is rolling over in his grave.

10. Kathy Lee says:

He knew what he was saying!

11. HE IS STILL”STUPID”FOR SAYING THAT!! DUMB ASS!!!! HE’S MAKING THINGS (WORSE!! ) STURING UP ****!! TO DAM ‘DUMB TO BE SAYING ENYTHING!!!!

12. Total BS you’re not convincing anyone, Kerry is a fool.

13. WELL SAID, “ROMEO JEAN CLAUDE”
    IT’S FOR SURE! KERLY IS CLUELESS,
    OF THE ‘HISTORY THEIR!! ISLAMIC RACE IS TO ‘RULE THE WORLD!!!! ONE DAY!!

14. על התנצלויות כאלה אמרו חז”ל :..” אפרטהייד בלגינא – קיק, קיש קרי”.

15. Those words are his legacy as secretary of state.

16. He is but a puppet, parroting the State Dept.’s and BDS Movement’s TRUE party line…

The only thing the administration is afraid of is waking up the clueless Jewish Americans who voted in these enemies of Israel (the jewish vote).

17. Oh I thought the a word was for ass aka Kerry

18. Yeah he miss spoke! Like obama when he said 36 times “if you like your insurance..you can keep your insurance..period!”

19. Give this to Kerry, Obama and the Palestinians!

20. Oh yea ?????? And who pressured you to make this post ????

21. Not what u said the other day !!!!

22. The Democrats are always on the opposite side of Israel. The Christian religious right Republicans have always been the ones to go-to-bat for Israel, and demanding that the U.S. stay pro Israel.

23. Joseph Green says:

THIS POLITICAL MISTAKE NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED!! FIRE THAT ASS!!

24. Some Will Fall For Anything

25. Yeah right. Why don’t they ever misspeak to say what a remarkable oasis of democracy, kindness and accomplishment Israel is, surrounded as it is by hostile, hateful, tyrannical neighbors whose only notable accomplishment is to plot the Jews’ demise all day long?

26. Lize Bartsch says:

…..and other fairy tales

27. Clo Clo says:

Do not be deceived…this ADMIN most certainly has AN AGENDA!!!!!

28. Ariel Claude says:

He said it, period. That’s enough. If he misspoke, it’s his problem like Donald Sterling is paying for his privately spoken speech. Kerry should get out if he can’t control his month…it isn’t the first time he has misspoken on Israel. Get out of office, Kerry, you’re awful like your predecessor, Hillary Clinton.

29. Kerry has a habit of the miss speak. Perhaps he should strive to be a wise man and keep his mouth shut.

30. Rohan Menon says:

Oh really now…

31. Excuses alone will not undo his words. Kerry has graduated from the BHO course in back tracking and Ignoring the obvious.

32. Karen Bryant says:

This administration seems to misspeak quite a lot.

33. Face it he id ls insane

34. Ronnie Pleet says:

It was anger and real feelings that came out

35. and you are so perfect in all you do ???

36. 2 brains, one’s lost & the other went looking for it! The terrorists should have sewn his mouth shut!

37. Ruby Harris says:

He didn’t just misspeak

38. Well then you are deliberately delusional. Kerry and his boss and Hillary all believe that the Jews are invaders in Israel and are there only because of the Holocaust. They believe the myth of the fraudulent “palestinians” They do not read history so they do not understand that the Jews are the indigenous people of Israel and that their denial of facts and history puts them in a position of denying the right of self-determination for Jews which makes them racists against the Jews. http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/04/a-tour-and-census-of-palestine-year-1695-no-sign-of-arabian-names-or-palestinians

39. Misspoke? More like put his foot in his mouth! Moron.

40. Misspoke? That’s how wars get started you idiot! Resign ~ you’re a buffoon.

41. Sara ~ Kerry’s mistakes have the potential to start wars. Your comment to Ariel is not well thought out.

42. Peggy Green says:

Sure he did but shouldn’t a diplomat of the stature of Secretary of State have more control over his tongue? Or is it just a character flaw that started in Viet Nam?

43. His boss is pushing the idea, so why wouldn’t he?

44. Sure he did. Clueless twit!

45. His true feelings came out and now he is lying

46. Did he misspeak when he recently threatened the Jewish state with more BDS?

47. Notice he never condemns the throat cutters that bomb and kill and kidnap Jews.

48. Out of the abundance of the heart our mouth speaks. I truly believe that what came out from his mouth is what he believes.

49. Hector Ramos says:

The mouth speaks what’s in the heart!

50. Hector Ramos says:

Retracting, is a convenient commodity at this point.

51. this man is a disgrace.

52. More than just an oops I didn’t mean what I said, “….out of the abundance of the heart, speaks the mouth”. Luke 6:45

53. More than just an oops I didn’t mean what I said, “….out of the abundance of the heart, speaks the mouth”. Luke 6:45

54. Jennifer Moe says:

Keep believing that! Making friends with snakes can have a very bad outcome!

55. he new exactly what he was saying this is the kind of man he is. can,t trust him.

56. Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Binyamin and Chaya Maryles, uncle and aunt of Emes Ve-Emunah author Harry Maryles.
Arabs burn tires in Shuafat neighborhood of Jerusalem.
Arab Violence in Jerusalem Forces Police to Return Law and Order
Car in Light Rail Runover

The headlines refused to scream “ARAB TERROR ATTACK;” instead the phrase “Suspected Terror Attack.”

"Shiloh"

I’ve heard many times I write what others think, making them extremely happy; that’s why I continue.

Statue of King David

Though secular, Hitman’s CV includes writing music for, recording, and popularizing religious songs.

256px-Israel-Palestine_flags.svg

Polls indicate that the Palestinians are much more against a two state solution than the Israelis.

Has the Jewish world adapted to the times? Hear the answer with Doug and his guest, Rabbi Berel Wein.

Leon Klinghoffer’s daughters: “‘Klinghoffer’ is justified as ‘a work of art’…This is an outrage.”

Kids bring in the light and let out the darkness through breathing exercises; it changes people.

If I make a million dollars in 2 weeks, how can I observe something like this and sit by quietly?”

Sometimes collective action against the heinous acts of the majority is not enough. The world should not only support the blockade of Gaza; it must enforce the dismantling of Hamas.

How long will it take for Israel and the Jewish World to admit that we are in very serious danger?

How do changes in technology affect the human life and our interactions with each other?

Palestinians (and Jordanians) often use the term “provocation” regarding Israeli action in Jerusalem

The zealots who engineered the ban have been publicly disgraced.

I am sick and tired of this one way street boycott! Time to boycott all products developed or invented in the Palestinian controlled areas! Let’s start with……umm….

Such an incredible miracle to have Israel, it’s crazy that every Jew isn’t clamoring to live here!

Driving is cultural. I come from a place with incredibly polite and safe drivers, unlike Israel.