…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- New Jersey Businesswoman Launches ‘Give18’ for Victims of Terror
on November 26, 2015 2:36 PM
- Russia Punishes Turkey by Importing Tomatoes from Israel
on November 26, 2015 1:54 PM
- Update: One dead, 3 Seriously Hurt after Bus Overturns in Samaria.
on November 26, 2015 1:02 PM
- Report: Europeans Funded ICC War Crimes Submission against Israel
on November 26, 2015 12:31 PM
- Norway, Sweden, Clamping Down on Illegal Migrants
on November 26, 2015 12:20 PM
- Paratroopers Chief: Beating the Terror Wave is Not a Military Issue, it Requires a Political Decision
on November 26, 2015 11:42 AM
- Update: Attempted Attack at Tapuach Junction, Terrorist Shot
on November 26, 2015 10:32 AM
- Meet the Anonymous IDF Source for Left-Leaning News: Maj. Gen. Roni Numa
on November 26, 2015 10:24 AM
- Turkey Backpedals as Tensions Rise With Moscow, Says ‘Didn’t Know Downed Plane Was Russian’
on November 26, 2015 9:12 AM
- Middle East Hackers Who Attacked Major Israeli Targets Exposed
on November 26, 2015 9:10 AM
- Getting Under the Skin of Medieval Bible Mystery
on November 26, 2015 2:00 AM
- Turkey Releases Recording of Warning to Russian Fighter Jet
on November 26, 2015 1:30 AM
- Cameron Pushing Reluctant Parliament on UK Bombing ISIS in Syria
on November 25, 2015 11:01 PM
- IDF Recommends Giving Palestinian Authority Weapons and Freeing Prisoners
on November 25, 2015 10:23 PM
- 200 North American Lone Soldiers and New Olim to Celebrate Thanksgiving in Tel Aviv
on November 25, 2015 10:18 PM