…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Two Suspects Shot Dead Following Shooting at TX ‘Free Speech’ Event
on May 4, 2015 6:56 AM
- Hundreds of Israeli Ethiopians Protest in Tel Aviv, Block Ayalon Highway
on May 3, 2015 8:07 PM
- Bangkok Chabad Rabbi Among Winners of Jerusalem Unity Prize
on May 3, 2015 7:33 PM
- Israel Counter-Terror Bureau Nixes Travel to Tunisia
on May 3, 2015 6:08 PM
- ‘Survey Monkey’ CEO David Goldberg Passes Away at 47
on May 3, 2015 5:02 PM
- Body of Missing Israeli Hiker, Or Ashraf, Found in Nepal
on May 3, 2015 4:14 PM
- Israeli Food Tech Startup to Make Sugar Taste Twice as Sweet
on May 3, 2015 4:00 PM
- ‘Unity Day’ and Prize will Honor Memories of Abducted Israeli Students
on May 3, 2015 3:28 PM
- Breaking News; Searchers in Nepal Find Documents of Missing Israeli
on May 3, 2015 2:50 PM
- State Dept.: Iran ‘Hoodwinked Countries but This Time It’s Different
on May 3, 2015 2:32 PM
- ‘Unity Day’ and Prize will Honor Memories of 3 Kidnap-Murder Victims
on May 3, 2015 12:43 PM
- Deri Plays Tough, Refuses to Share Religious Affairs Post with Bennett
on May 3, 2015 12:35 PM
- Kachlon Says Allowing Public Buses on Shabbat a ‘Social Issue’
on May 3, 2015 12:12 PM
- Rami Levi Negotiating to Buy Mega Supermarket Chain
on May 3, 2015 10:37 AM
- Bethlehem May Charge a Fee for Tourists to Enter
on May 3, 2015 10:36 AM