…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Al Asqa Mosque Preacher: Jews Train Doctors to Spread Diseases
on August 3, 2015 3:52 PM
- Violent Bulgarian Soccer Fans Chase Israeli Team off the Field [video]
on August 3, 2015 3:10 PM
- Yitzhak Rabin’s Granddaughter Enters ‘Family Business’
on August 3, 2015 3:08 PM
- IDF Shoots to Scare Gaza Arabs Away from Security Fence
on August 3, 2015 3:04 PM
- Iran Openly Refuses UN IAEA Inspectors Access to Military Sites
on August 3, 2015 1:21 PM
- Rouhani: Iran Has Right to Enrich Uranium Under Nuclear Deal
on August 3, 2015 11:06 AM
- El-Sisi Signs New Election Law for Egypt
on August 3, 2015 10:43 AM
- Security Cabinet Classifies Duma Arson as Terror Attack
on August 3, 2015 10:10 AM
- Jewish Group Demands Obama Stop Demonizing Jews
on August 3, 2015 6:45 AM
- Jews, Arabs Unite to Underline Co-existence in Gush Etzion
on August 2, 2015 8:39 PM
- Israel Energy Use Breaks Record High in Heat Wave
on August 2, 2015 7:33 PM
- Body of Missing Israeli Found in Georgia
on August 2, 2015 7:16 PM
- PM Offers Condolences to Family of 16-yr-old Gay Pride Parade Victim
on August 2, 2015 7:15 PM
- Officials Reconsider Sprouting Wildfires After Terror Victim Memorial Torched
on August 2, 2015 5:35 PM
- Israeli Defense Company Elbit Gears Up for Cyber Arms Race
on August 2, 2015 5:30 PM