…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Netanyahu, Obama Focus on Different Priorities in White House Talk
on October 1, 2014 8:27 PM
- Leak of 2,600 New Homes in Eastern Jerusalem Precedes Obama-Bibi Talks
on October 1, 2014 7:46 PM
- PA Chief Negotiator Compares Netanyahu with ISIS
on October 1, 2014 6:07 PM
- What Did King David Drink? Israeli Wine Researchers Aim to Revive Ancient Libations
on October 1, 2014 5:02 PM
- Sitting Shiva on ‘The Simpsons’
on October 1, 2014 4:55 PM
- The Virgin of Jerusalem
on October 1, 2014 4:08 PM
- Israeli AG: Anti-Israel NGO Can Utilize National Service Volunteers
on October 1, 2014 2:51 PM
- Loyola U. ‘Suspends’ and Reinstates Students for Justice in Palestine
on October 1, 2014 1:34 PM
- Netanyahu Labels UN Views on Israel ‘Disproportional’
on October 1, 2014 12:12 PM
- Canadian ISIS Fighter Threatens to Behead Netanyahu [video]
on October 1, 2014 11:37 AM
- ZIM Shanghai Unloads at Port of Long Beach, No BDS Problems
on October 1, 2014 8:46 AM
- ‘Jews Against Genocide’ Take ‘Blood Bucket Challenge’ at Yad Vashem [video]
on September 30, 2014 11:57 PM
- Arabs Attack Hitchhiker with Fireworks
on September 30, 2014 11:33 PM
- PM Netanyahu’s Remarks to Jewish Federation Leaders in New York
on September 30, 2014 11:18 PM
- Convicted Cop-Killer Mumia Abu-Jamal is College Commencement Speaker
on September 30, 2014 9:15 PM