…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Second Terror Attack Averted When Arab Driver Killed by IDF Fire
on September 2, 2014 7:51 PM
- Eric Cantor Joins Wall Street Investment Bank
on September 2, 2014 4:06 PM
- Poll: Hamas Would Rule Judea and Samaria in New Elections
on September 2, 2014 3:52 PM
- Arab Terrorist Attack Foiled Near Netanya
on September 2, 2014 1:38 PM
- Ehud Olmert’s ‘Talansky Affair’ Re-Opens in Jerusalem District Court
on September 2, 2014 12:58 PM
- Iran Unveils New Self-Defense Radar, Missile System
on September 2, 2014 12:04 PM
- Turkey’s New PM Says ‘No Hope’ of Normalizing Ties with Israel
on September 2, 2014 11:22 AM
- Jihadist Threat Rising on Israel’s Northern Border
on September 2, 2014 9:58 AM
- Germany to Begin Supplying Kurds With Weapons to Fight Islamic State
on September 2, 2014 1:41 AM
- Did You Know September 1 is an Israeli National Holiday?
on September 2, 2014 1:02 AM
- SodaStream May Close Maaleh Adumim Factory
on September 1, 2014 11:41 PM
- Last Soldier Killed in Protective Edge Laid to Rest
on September 1, 2014 11:31 PM
- Arab Rock Throwing Attacks Wounds 3-Year-Old Girl
on September 1, 2014 11:22 PM
- The Real and Radical Legacy of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach
on September 1, 2014 11:05 PM
- PA Propaganda Video Compares 9/11 with IDF Bombing of Gaza
on September 1, 2014 9:45 PM