…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Trump and Sanders on Top in New Hampshire
on February 10, 2016 4:03 AM
- WH Rescinds Objections, Israel to Receive Latest Long Distance Boeing Refueler
on February 9, 2016 9:24 PM
- Tell Jennifer Lopez Why She Should Keep Plans to Perform in Tel Aviv
on February 9, 2016 9:17 PM
- Justice Minister Has Reservations about 90-MK Ban Proposal
on February 9, 2016 8:21 PM
- Israeli Jogger Wounded in Terror Attack Near Neve Daniel
on February 9, 2016 8:10 PM
- Ted Nugent Going Anti-Semitic on Jews Who Want to Take Away his Guns
on February 9, 2016 7:19 PM
- Arab Terrorists Attacking Buses, Cars on Highway 60
on February 9, 2016 6:16 PM
- Knesset Amends Anti-Infiltration Law Lowering Migrant Detention to 12 Months
on February 9, 2016 4:37 PM
- Hamas Terrorist Killed in Khan Younis Tunnel Collapse
on February 9, 2016 4:07 PM
- ‘Small Schools, Kindergartens Don’t Qualify for Gov’t Security Protection’
on February 9, 2016 3:35 PM
- Bernie Sanders Tattoos the Rage in New England
on February 9, 2016 2:03 PM
- Court Rules Against Boy Who Sang Israel’s National Anthem on Temple Mount
on February 9, 2016 1:22 PM
- Technion Develops Small Portable Ultrasound
on February 9, 2016 1:10 PM
- India Puts Final Touches on $3b Military Deals With Israel
on February 9, 2016 1:06 PM
- Adelson’s Lawyer Tells Court the Billionaire Does Not Own ‘Israel Today’
on February 9, 2016 12:24 PM