…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- American Among the Dead in Terrorist Attack on Libyan Hotel
on January 28, 2015 11:08 AM
- Israeli Night Strike on Damascus is ‘Warning to Beirut’
on January 28, 2015 10:43 AM
- Look Who is Behind the New US Democratic-Style Campaign in Israel
on January 28, 2015 8:22 AM
- IDF Retaliates Against Syrian Military Targets, Sets Off Rocket Alarms on the Golan
on January 28, 2015 12:38 AM
- Netanyahu: ‘Could Be Time for Female Chief of Police in Israel’
on January 27, 2015 11:42 PM
- Ma’agar Mochot Poll Introduces Game-Changer, Pulling Right
on January 27, 2015 10:56 PM
- Japan, Jordan Unite on ISIS Hostage Crisis
on January 27, 2015 10:47 PM
- Latest Election Poll Puts Left in Charge
on January 27, 2015 9:00 PM
- NYC All Prepped Up But ‘No Snow Go, Mayor DeBlasio’
on January 27, 2015 8:43 PM
- Report: US Sgt Released by Taliban for 5 Gitmo Prisoners to be Charged with Desertion
on January 27, 2015 8:17 PM
- David Landau (67)
on January 27, 2015 8:15 PM
- Hezbollah-Israel Conflict: an Unwanted Development
on January 27, 2015 7:18 PM
- BBC’s Holocaust Tweet Shocker
on January 27, 2015 7:10 PM
- Mount Hermon Ski Resort Reopens After Rocket Attack
on January 27, 2015 7:03 PM
- UNRWA Runs Out of Money that Israel Says Being Used for Terror Tunnels
on January 27, 2015 4:40 PM