…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Bernie Sanders Claims ‘Very Strong Religious’ Feelings
on February 5, 2016 3:42 PM
- Netanyahu, Edelstein, to File Complaints with Ethics Committee Against Arab MKs
on February 5, 2016 2:03 PM
- Defense Ministry’s Gilad: Preventive War Against Tunnels Impractical
on February 5, 2016 1:32 PM
- Senior Israeli Official: French Peace Initiative Doomed like the Rest
on February 5, 2016 11:33 AM
- Chuck and Rachel and Bernie and Hillary Talk ISIS [video]
on February 5, 2016 10:51 AM
- Here’s an Easy Way to Find Out if Your Congress Member is Actually Pro-Israel
on February 5, 2016 3:06 AM
- Netanyahu Asking Knesset Speaker for Sanctions Against Pro-Terrorist Arab MKs
on February 4, 2016 9:22 PM
- Simpsons Search Engine for Folks Who Want to Be Cool and Jewish
on February 4, 2016 8:25 PM
- Ultra-Orthodox MK Bill Ends Action Against Tax Debtors before Holidays
on February 4, 2016 7:21 PM
- Russia: Bad Turkey Planning Invasion of Syria, Good Israel Cooperating with Russians
on February 4, 2016 5:53 PM
- ‘Everyone Said You Were A Heroine, My Hadari’
on February 4, 2016 4:27 PM
- EU Official Caught Crossing Jordan River with Smuggled Gold, Smartphones, Steroids
on February 4, 2016 4:04 PM
- Netanyahu Visits ‘Heroic, Resourceful’ Policewoman in Hospital
on February 4, 2016 3:22 PM
- COGAT Freezes Work, Trade Permits for Extended Families of Damascus Gate Killers
on February 4, 2016 2:24 PM
- Catholic Holy Land Custodian: Muslim Leaders Must Confront Extremism
on February 4, 2016 1:53 PM