…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Mandy Patinkin Berates Late Couple at Benefit Concert
on May 24, 2016 9:27 PM
- Staten Island JCC Receives Anti-Semitic Messages over Basketball Score
on May 24, 2016 7:25 PM
- Attacks on Jews at Ancient Cemetery Cause Israel to Beef Up Security
on May 24, 2016 4:30 PM
- 11 Rightwing Questions to Incoming Defense Minister Lieberman
on May 24, 2016 4:09 PM
- Palestinian Authority Rejects Direct Talks
on May 24, 2016 2:27 PM
- Body of ‘Jerusalem Bezeq Terrorist’ Returned to Family, Buried as an ‘Honored Martyr’
on May 24, 2016 1:53 PM
- On This Day in 1991, IDF Makes a Miracle With ‘Operation Solomon’
on May 24, 2016 1:30 PM
- Israeli Elementary School Children Take Pictures from Edge of Space
on May 24, 2016 12:31 PM
- Rhode Island Residents Riled About Anti-Semitic Attack on Local Synagogue
on May 24, 2016 12:30 PM
- We Remember Eliahu ben Shaul Cohen, z’l, Legend of the Mossad
on May 24, 2016 12:24 PM
- Likud MK Miki Zohar Informs Netanyahu He’s Quitting
on May 24, 2016 11:36 AM
- Netanyahu Tells Knesset He Wants ‘Broader Government,’ Herzog: Stop Zigzagging
on May 24, 2016 10:37 AM
- IDF Hebron Soldier Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ to Manslaughter in Terrorist Death
on May 24, 2016 10:35 AM
- Ethiopian MK Meets Visiting African Women, Advocates Merging Israeli Tech with ‘Fertile African Soil’
on May 24, 2016 9:14 AM
- ISIS Blasts in Assad’s Heartland Kill 150
on May 23, 2016 11:03 PM