…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Cardiff Kills Exhibition of Jews, Muslims, Christians Playing Together Because It Was Shot in Israel
on September 4, 2015 5:04 PM
- A Tale of Two Prayers: Muslims and Clinton vs. Jews and Psalms [video]
on September 4, 2015 1:08 PM
- ‘Catch-22″ Comes to the Temple Mount
on September 4, 2015 10:26 AM
- Biden Tells Atlanta Jews ‘Honest to God, I Don’t Know If I Will Run’ [video]
on September 4, 2015 10:12 AM
- ‘Lone Soldiers’ Get a Treat in ‘Fun Day’ At Water Park
on September 4, 2015 9:12 AM
- British MP Accuses UK of Supporting Iran ‘at Expense of Allies’
on September 4, 2015 8:52 AM
- Cory Booker + 2 More Senators Announce Support for Nuclear Iran Deal
on September 4, 2015 1:30 AM
- Netanyahu, Kahlon Cut Taxes to Spur Sluggish Economy
on September 3, 2015 11:00 PM
- Attempted Lynch Attack on 5 US Jewish Tourists in Hebron, Saved by Local Arab
on September 3, 2015 8:03 PM
- A Jewish Family’s Search To Save a Daughter With Familial Disautonomia
on September 3, 2015 7:23 PM
- Head of Joint Arab List Hospitalized with Chest Pain
on September 3, 2015 6:28 PM
- Pres. Rivlin Meets in State Visit with Pope Francis at Vatican
on September 3, 2015 6:08 PM
- French Investigators Rule ‘No Evidence’ Yasser Arafat Murdered
on September 3, 2015 3:48 PM
- Analysis: New Pew Report Has Seen the Jewish American Future and It’s Orthodox
on September 3, 2015 3:08 PM
- Knesset Approves Budget in 1st Voting Round as Shas Threatens to Pull Support
on September 3, 2015 2:29 PM