…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Egypt Reopens Rafah Crossing
on December 22, 2014 7:46 AM
- India May Change UN Vote; Bibi Says Israel to Protect Citizens
on December 22, 2014 6:22 AM
- Syria Downs Israeli Drone Near Border [video]
on December 22, 2014 4:37 AM
- French Driver Shouting “Allahu Akbar” Plows into Crowd
on December 22, 2014 12:05 AM
- Jewish Man ‘Accidentally’ Run Over – Twice
on December 21, 2014 8:21 PM
- Terror Victim Protected ‘Mohammed the Zionist’ from Terrorists
on December 21, 2014 7:17 PM
- Netanyahu Exploits Elections to Raise Minimum Wage
on December 21, 2014 2:42 PM
- Abbas: We Won’t Use Violence – Unless We Will
on December 21, 2014 1:58 PM
- Kindertransport Documentary Selected for Permanent Preservation
on December 21, 2014 1:42 PM
- Black GOP Leader Prays at the Western Wall for ‘Solomonic Wisdom’
on December 21, 2014 1:34 PM
- Police Raid Homes of Anti-Assimilation Volunteers
on December 21, 2014 12:13 PM
- Rock-Throwing Terrorists Hit 4-Year-old Boy at Gush Etzion
on December 21, 2014 11:13 AM
- Jewish Home Unity Overcomes the ’Yesha Faction’
on December 21, 2014 10:40 AM
- ISIS Executes 100 Foreign Volunteers
on December 20, 2014 9:58 PM
- Temple Institute Produces Pure Olive Oil for Temple Menorah [video]
on December 20, 2014 9:48 PM