…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- Attempted Terror Stabbing Foiled
on September 30, 2016 3:59 PM
- Eulogies by Shimon Peres’ Three Children
on September 30, 2016 12:36 PM
- President Reuven Rivlin’s eulogy at the funeral of Israel’s Ninth President Shimon Peres
on September 30, 2016 12:23 PM
- Rightwing Paper Crowns Shooting Medic Azaria ‘Man of the Year’
on September 30, 2016 12:06 PM
- AG Schneiderman Deepens Trump Charity Probe
on September 30, 2016 10:53 AM
- Newcomer Rabbinic Organization Launches Lower East Side Eruv Against Establishment View
on September 30, 2016 10:11 AM
- US Flags Fly at Half-Staff Worldwide for Israel’s 9th President, Shimon Peres
on September 30, 2016 1:01 AM
- NY Gov. Cuomo, NJ Gov. Christie Cancel Trip to Peres Funeral Due to Deadly Train Crash
on September 30, 2016 12:13 AM
- Peres Funeral Closed to Public, Security Tightened, Streets Closed in Central Jerusalem
on September 29, 2016 11:07 PM
- ‘Anti-Semitism in Europe As Important As Climate Change’
on September 29, 2016 9:36 PM
- Mahmoud Abbas, Leader of Palestinian Authority, to Attend Peres Funeral in Jerusalem
on September 29, 2016 7:15 PM
- 3 Dead, 100-Plus Injured in NJ Transit Hoboken Train Crash
on September 29, 2016 7:01 PM
- Abbas Political Adviser Nimr Hammad, Dead at 78
on September 29, 2016 6:21 PM
- 3 Israeli Arabs Convicted of Funding Mourabitoun
on September 29, 2016 6:04 PM
- Temple Mount Closed to Jews On the Eve of Rosh Hashana, Due to Minor Islamic Holiday
on September 29, 2016 5:31 PM