…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Imam Attacked by Fellow Muslims After Condemning Har Nof Massacre
on November 23, 2014 6:45 PM
- Former DC Mayor Marion Barry, Dead at 78
on November 23, 2014 6:28 PM
- Is Tennessee Teaching Its Children to Hate Jews?
on November 23, 2014 5:50 PM
- New Zealand Anti-Semite Attacks Jewish Toddler
on November 23, 2014 5:04 PM
- Palestinian Authority Caught Crossing White Lines as Well as Red Lines
on November 23, 2014 4:18 PM
- Second Temple Era Military Outpost Discovered, Possibly Destroyed By Alexander the Great
on November 23, 2014 4:05 PM
- Son (Complete Opposite) of I. B. Singer Dead at 85
on November 23, 2014 3:41 PM
- IDF Shoots at Gaza Infiltrators; Hamas Claims One Killed
on November 23, 2014 3:27 PM
- Ex-Senior Justice Official Asks Homeland Security to Ban Abbas from US
on November 23, 2014 3:06 PM
- Police Disinter PA Arabs Sleeping Peacefully in Herzliya Graves
on November 23, 2014 12:41 PM
- Kerry and Netanyahu Update Each Other on Iran
on November 23, 2014 12:32 PM
- Arab Terror Hits Hard at Jerusalem Hotel Occupancy Rate
on November 23, 2014 11:57 AM
- Canadian-Israeli in Coma from Har Nof Massacre
on November 23, 2014 11:02 AM
- Palestinian Authority Claims Settlers Torched Home near Ramallah
on November 23, 2014 9:52 AM
- Hevron Terrorists Try to Burn IDF Soldiers to Death [video]
on November 23, 2014 9:16 AM