…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- US Restricts Air Travel from Africa to Contain Ebola
on October 22, 2014 2:46 AM
- Israel Attempts to Insert Reason into UN Debate About Middle East
on October 22, 2014 2:12 AM
- Syrian Mortar hits Israeli Golan Tuesday Morning
on October 21, 2014 11:05 PM
- Head of Iran’s Top Clerical Body Dies
on October 21, 2014 5:48 PM
- ‘Radicalized’ Convert to Islam Attempted to Murder Canadian Soldiers [video]
on October 21, 2014 5:45 PM
- Abbas Wreaks Vengeance on Arabs Selling Land to Jews
on October 21, 2014 5:17 PM
- Israel’s Government Recruits Citizens to ‘Fight Ebola’
on October 21, 2014 4:58 PM
- Beach Boys Cancel Israel Performance
on October 21, 2014 3:58 PM
- Jerusalem Light Rail’s New ‘Zero Tolerance’ for Arab Violence
on October 21, 2014 2:42 PM
- Rare 2,000 Yr Old Monument to Emperor Hadrian Found in Jerusalem
on October 21, 2014 1:52 PM
- Syrian Death Toll for Saturday and Sunday Breaks 300
on October 21, 2014 12:01 PM
- Father and ISIS Stone Woman to Death in Syria [video]
on October 21, 2014 11:43 AM
- Proposed Conversion Bill, Change in Local Rabbinate Power Nixed by Netanyahu
on October 21, 2014 9:35 AM
- Haaretz Smears American Terrorism Expert with Political Hit Job
on October 21, 2014 2:53 AM
- Kosher Butcher in Germany Admits Selling Non-Kosher Meat for Years
on October 21, 2014 12:12 AM