…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Netanyahu’s Speech to Congress – Blocked from U.S. Prime Time, Perfect for Israel
on March 1, 2015 4:49 PM
- Bayit Yehudi Wants Edmond Levy Report Adopted by Govt
on March 1, 2015 3:41 PM
- Beitar JM Soccer Team Owner Shot
on March 1, 2015 3:33 PM
- Herzog-Livni Desperate in Face of Negative Polls
on March 1, 2015 1:53 PM
- Netanyahu Flies to New York and Washington for ‘Fateful’ Speech
on March 1, 2015 1:19 PM
- Kuwait Paper: Obama Threatened to Fire on Israeli Planes Attacking Iran
on March 1, 2015 12:48 PM
- Snow Forecast This Week for all 50 States [video]
on March 1, 2015 12:09 PM
- Answer This American Jewish Poll: Should Bibi Speak to Congress?
on March 1, 2015 11:35 AM
- German Police Detain Islamists in Security Threat
on March 1, 2015 9:58 AM
- Obama on Collision Course with Senate Bill on Iran Deal
on March 1, 2015 9:15 AM
- Desert Fantasy Or Dark Reality? Kuwaiti Paper Says Obama Threatened To Fire On Israeli Jets Attacking Iran
on March 1, 2015 12:37 AM
- California Homeowner’s Display: Hatred of Israel and US, Waves PA Flag
on February 28, 2015 11:02 PM
- Senate Resolution Unanimously Welcomes Netanyahu
on February 28, 2015 10:43 PM
- Latest Election Poll
on February 28, 2015 10:18 PM
- Kerry Warns Abbas Not to Break Security Ties with Israel
on February 28, 2015 10:02 PM