…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Israeli Court Rules: Priceless Kafka Collection Goes to Israel’s National Library
on July 8, 2015 2:30 AM
- IDF Tunnel Warning System to be Fully Operational in Days
on July 7, 2015 11:59 PM
- Exclusive: First IDF Cyber-Defense Program Opens at Yeshiva
on July 7, 2015 9:01 PM
- Shas MK Begins ‘Three Week’s with ‘Senseless Hate’ against Reform Jews
on July 7, 2015 7:04 PM
- NBA Star’s Grassroots Campaign Raises $440,000 to Save Lives in Israel
on July 7, 2015 6:04 PM
- IDF to Place Four Elite Combat Units under New Command
on July 7, 2015 4:25 PM
- Iran Deal to Miss Fifth Deadline
on July 7, 2015 3:59 PM
- Twitter Poll: Voters Prefer an Avocado over Trump in the White House
on July 7, 2015 3:17 PM
- Gaza ‘Reconstruction’ Taking Place Underground
on July 7, 2015 2:45 PM
- Food Poisoning Kills 45 ISIS Fighters
on July 7, 2015 2:37 PM
- Ryanair Flying to Israel with Big Boost to Negev
on July 7, 2015 2:25 PM
- Iran’s Rafsanjani Reiterates ‘Israel Will Be Wiped Off The Map’
on July 7, 2015 2:05 PM
- 170 Hamas Men Arrested in PA Sweep of Judea, Samaria
on July 7, 2015 12:59 PM
- Yad Vashem Wins the Oscar for Schindler’s List
on July 7, 2015 12:33 PM
- Israeli Eye Surgery Breakthrough Uses Stitch-free Cornea Transplants
on July 7, 2015 11:43 AM