…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- Religious Leaders Call for Negotiation, not Legislation on Muezzin bill
on December 5, 2016 4:39 PM
- Arab Party Wants Netanyahu Investigated for Incitement over Arsons
on December 5, 2016 3:24 PM
- Israeli Military Industries Demonstrate 80-Mile Range Magic Spear Rocket
on December 5, 2016 1:48 PM
- Emerging Amona Deal: Compensation for Arab Claimants, Regulations Act Preserved, Evacuation On
on December 5, 2016 1:06 PM
- 1.1 Million Israelis Volunteered in 2015
on December 5, 2016 11:23 AM
- 6 Jerusalem Arabs Arrested for Incitement Via Social Networks
on December 5, 2016 9:58 AM
- Report: Mall Operator Won’t Hire Bedouin Security Guards
on December 5, 2016 8:56 AM
- US Secy Kerry Asks Saban Forum: What’s Your Vision of a Unitary State?
on December 5, 2016 1:41 AM
- Amsterdam Police Foil Jihadist Attack on Synagogue While Dutch Lawmakers Hope to Reduce Security Costs
on December 4, 2016 9:44 PM
- Trans-Israel Highway Extension Reaches Northern Negev
on December 4, 2016 8:22 PM
- Hamas Digger Electrocuted, Killed in Gaza Terror Tunnel
on December 4, 2016 7:22 PM
- Firebombing and Stoning Attacks Kick Off New Week in Israel
on December 4, 2016 6:34 PM
- Finance Committee Approves Long Term Savings for Every Child Retroactive to Jan. 2015
on December 4, 2016 6:17 PM
- Arab Media Report Israeli Navy Fires on Gaza Fishermen
on December 4, 2016 5:58 PM
- Yesh Atid Calls to Dissolve Israel’s Parliament
on December 4, 2016 5:38 PM