…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- First Temple Era Document Mentioning ‘Jerusalem’ Revealed [video]
on October 26, 2016 11:15 PM
- Arab Terrorist Caught ‘Red-Handed’ in Attack on Jerusalem Light Rail
on October 26, 2016 10:12 PM
- Junior Terrorists-in-Training Caught With Knives in Gush Etzion [video]
on October 26, 2016 9:39 PM
- Israel’s Ambassador to UNESCO is Recalled to Jerusalem
on October 26, 2016 6:43 PM
- IDF Soldier Wounded at Rachel’s Tomb
on October 26, 2016 6:22 PM
- Arab Terror Stabber Sentenced to 17 Years, Fined NIS 50K
on October 26, 2016 6:08 PM
- Arab Terror in Jerusalem Targets Jewish Homes and Buses
on October 26, 2016 4:11 PM
- 13 Arab Fugitives Captured Overnight, Guns & Drugs Seized in Lod
on October 26, 2016 3:47 PM
- 9 Israelis Hurt in Motor Vehicle Accident in Nepal
on October 26, 2016 3:09 PM
- Israeli Bus Damaged in Jerusalem Arab Stoning Attack
on October 26, 2016 2:48 PM
- Judge Goes Easy on Stabber of Two Jews, Family Angry
on October 26, 2016 2:23 PM
- UNESCO Passes Second Resolution Erasing Judaism from Jerusalem
on October 26, 2016 1:57 PM
- Prosecution Indicts Wedding Guests for Hating Arabs While Dancing
on October 26, 2016 1:30 PM
- IDF Soldier Wounded in Gunfire From Lebanon
on October 26, 2016 1:24 PM
- Tiberias Doctor Pries 4 Magnets from Inside Child’s Stomach
on October 26, 2016 11:54 AM