…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Jordanian Lawmakers Cancel Gaza Visit on Security Grounds
on September 20, 2014 9:02 PM
- conEdision’s Multilingual Video on Gas Safety [video]
on September 20, 2014 8:40 PM
- Lapid Slammed by Secular and Press for Shabbat Press Conference
on September 20, 2014 8:28 PM
- Israeli Drone Crashes Near Border in Southern Lebanon
on September 20, 2014 8:18 PM
- For Grass Roots Klinghoffer Protest 9/22, Jewish Establishment MIA
on September 19, 2014 6:41 PM
- Senate Approves ‘ISIS Bill’ – US Military Hopes for More
on September 19, 2014 5:40 PM
- Iranians Try to Infiltrate Israel with Stolen Israeli Passports
on September 19, 2014 4:04 PM
- 2 Gazan Killed, 3 Injured by Bomb
on September 19, 2014 3:49 PM
- France Targets Daash
on September 19, 2014 2:36 PM
- Report: IDF Tanks and Bulldozers Enter Gaza
on September 19, 2014 2:15 PM
- 1000 Kurds Run for Life from ISIS
on September 19, 2014 2:06 PM
- Saudi Arabia Buys Chinese DF-21 Ballistic Missiles
on September 19, 2014 2:00 PM
- El Al Reunites Parents of Lone Soldiers from ‘Protective Edge’ for Rosh Hashanah
on September 19, 2014 11:49 AM
- Netanel Armi Was Murdered in Terror Attack, Says Family
on September 19, 2014 11:36 AM
- Gilad Erdan May Replace Gidon Saar
on September 19, 2014 11:00 AM