…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at email@example.com.The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Obama Asks Democrats to ‘Do For Hillary Clinton What You Did For Me’
on July 28, 2016 7:18 AM
- Bloomberg: ‘Let’s Elect A Sane, Competent Person’
on July 28, 2016 6:11 AM
- US Congressman Johnson Apologizes for Calling Jews ‘Termites,’ Not Other Remarks
on July 28, 2016 2:58 AM
- Humanitarian Aid Still Continues to Flow Into Gaza
on July 28, 2016 1:56 AM
- IDF Soldier Drowns in Reservoir
on July 28, 2016 1:27 AM
- Better Benefits Offered for Police in Jerusalem
on July 28, 2016 12:23 AM
- ‘Jerusalem Has Much in Common With Hebron’
on July 27, 2016 10:44 PM
- European Union Unhappy With Israel Over Gilo Housing Project
on July 27, 2016 9:33 PM
- Islamic Guards Attack Archaeologists on Temple Mount “for Picking Up Olives”
on July 27, 2016 8:41 PM
- High School Students Help Discover a Unique 1,600 Year Old Pottery Workshop in the Galilee
on July 27, 2016 8:31 PM
- Liberman to Arab MK: Conditions at Checkpoints Are Unreasonable, Harmful
on July 27, 2016 5:27 PM
- Philanthropist Marcus Katz Dead at 89
on July 27, 2016 5:08 PM
- Knesset Committee Quarrels with Anti-Drug Officials over Colorado Legalized Weed
on July 27, 2016 3:10 PM
- Breslow Leader Confesses Rape, Plotted Murder of Disciple
on July 27, 2016 11:54 AM
- About the Hamas Terror Cell That Murdered Rabbi Miki Mark
on July 27, 2016 10:10 AM