December 29, 2014 / 7 Tevet, 5775

8000 meals Celebrate Eight Days of Chanukah – With 8,000 Free Meals Daily to Israel’s Poor

Join Meir Panim’s campaign to “light up” Chanukah for families in need.

Hareidim – N.I.M.B.Y.

No one wants Hareidim moving into their neighborhood. But no one is letting them build all-Hareidi communities either.

A Secular woman handing a Hareidi child a "Universal Draft" sticker during a protest.

Photo Credit: Yehoshua Yosef/Flash90

Hareidim – obviously they’re worse than the Settlers. Who wants them? Worse, who wants them next living next door to you.

For a supposedly open-minded and tolerant society, some Israelis are very intolerant of Hareidim. So intolerant that they don’t want them as neighbors, while simultaneously complaining about Hareidi neighborhoods being enclaves of intolerance and isolation.

In Friday’s (Jerusalem Post) In Jerusalem, the paper went on its usual rant about Hareidim (legally, mind you) acquiring more property in Jerusalem for their growing needs.

In this latest story, the (secular) residents of Ramat Sharett, who share a border with (Hareidi) Bayit V’Gan woke up nearly too late to stop the “machinations” that put them on the “forward position on the frontlines of the ongoing haredi-secular battle in Jerusalem”.

But luckily these secular residents managed to block the legal hareidi acquisition and construction, and reach a “compromise” with the city, thus acquiring one of the two plots in question for themselves, keeping it out of Hareidi hands who had legally already won it.

This of course follows up with their previous articles on Hareidim making inroads into Kiryat HaYovel, and other “last bastions” of secularism in Jerusalem, to the dismay of the less primitive and more open and tolerant secular residents.

But don’t be concerned, all these people say that Hareidim deserve to have a place to live, just not in their back yard.

But what happens when it’s not in their back yard?

Not surprisingly, it turns out these tolerant secular open-minded progressives don’t want Hareidim to have a place to live there either.

In the Jerusalem Post’s weekend magazine, they interviewed Brian Lurie, the new president of the New Israel Fund (NIF) and Naomi Paiss, their VP of public relations.

There’s so much disgusting stuff to talk about in that article, but one particular paragraph caught my eye.

As you may have guessed from above, there are so few communities that want to let Hareidim in, for fear of them taking over.

As a result, the Hareidim have been working on building in their own towns and cities (one in the Negev, one in Wadi Ara), where they can let their hair down, and not worry about bothering secular Jews with the threat of encroachment.

But, the NIF and other progressive group don’t like the idea that Hareidim should build all-Hareidi towns for themselves. And so they try to block it.

The Jerusalem Post quotes Naomi Paiss, NIF’s VP for public relations,

“…the NIF was involved in a campaign to change what was set up to an all-haredi 50,000-person city placed in the Harish wadi area [JS: think Baqa Al-Gharbiya and Umm el Qutuf] between a regular middle-class town of ordinary Jewish people, a kibbutz down the road and an Arab village up the hill.”

Paiss says the new city would have ruined an area where pluralism is working by artificially throwing in a new ghetto.

She says she has no problem with Hareidim moving into the new development, but the NIF is proud it has suceeded in making the new development open to all.

So let’s analyze her statement, down the road is a left-wing kibbutz ghetto. Up the hill is an exclusively Arab village ghetto (Baka Al-Gharbiya – Arab population 32,000+, Jewish population: 0). And somewhere nearby is a ghetto of middle-class ordinary (presumably secular) Israelis (who would of course welcome in Hareidim with open arms to their town).

So despite all those other ghettos nearby, a new Hareidi ghetto would have ruined the pluralism of the the area. Really.

I don’t know about you, but the hypocrisy is just reeking.

And perhaps there’s something else that Paiss isn’t actually telling us either.

This area, Wadi Ara, is actually an area overwhelmingly populated by Arabs, and not Jews, though it appears to me that she wants you to think otherwise by mentioning a kibbutz and Jewish town alongside and Arab village.

If I were a suspicious fellow, I’d wonder if perhaps the NIF fears that Hareidim moving in, with their high birth rates, would Judaize the Wadi Ara area. While a “pluralistic” town, “open to all” would prevent that from happening.

But I’m not a suspicious fellow, and I’m sure that wasn’t a consideration, even if she implied that there was only a small Arab village nearby, and not a few, including one with over 32,000 Arab residents.

About the Author: JoeSettler blogs at The Muqata.blogspot.com and occasionally on his own blog at JoeSettler.blogspot.com.

42 Responses to “Hareidim – N.I.M.B.Y.”

1. Dan Silagi says:

I don't want haredim in my backyard. Nor in my front yard. The only yard I want haredim in is a graveyard.

2. I fervently hope you will die you fecal-antisemite neo-Nazi and soon, to boot!

3. 2 important points, not, rather 3.

1. NIF is an avowedly anti-Israel, borderline antisemitic enemy organisation of the Left. A clear and present danger to the wellbeing and health of Israel and Israeli Jews.
    2. Naomi Paiss of NIF is on record (Wikileaks) in her conversation to an American official at the American Embassy that it's "not a tragedy if Israel becoems a majority Arab state in 100 years". This is the quintessential mark of an antisemite, for obvious reasons. The sheer depravity, rottenness and Nazism inside her/them is breathtaking, although knowing them it's not really surprising.
    3. JPost's In Jeruslaem is edited by a vacuous, shallow, hollow American oleh, a leftist hippy-Jew called Melanie Lidman who used vulgar language in her cheap, primitive and trashy articles in the past – connected to her Jerusalem Marathon experience 2 years ago.

4. Ellen Popper says:

If you care about Jewish continuity, yet want it to be secular/ traditional, I you had better do something to promote it : Two things, rather : Make Aliyah, and have more children. Otherwise, it is our own graves of extinction we are digging.

5. Ellen Popper says:

6. Brian Hildebrand says:

Dan Silagi for some reason thinks he has more right to breath the air of this world than anyone else, particularily the haredim. Why is that Dan, your isolationalism is less stinky then that of the Haredim?

7. Dan Silagi says:

You're Exhibit A of why Haredim are poster children for anti-Semitism. BTW, as you've probably guessed, I'm a secular Jew. Of Hungarian extraction. Now stay in Budapest with the real Nazis.

8. Dan Silagi says:

It's the Haredim who are isolationist. It is they who throw stones at secular Israelis who DARE to drive on Shabbat, on public streets in Jerusalem. It is they who put up signs in the United States demanding women and men walk on opposite sides of the street. It is they who speak Yiddish even though they were born here (in the USA), so others, notably secular Jews such as I, won't understand them.

Haredim are poster children for anti-Semitism, and that's why I despise them.

9. you are not jew, one jew can't wish death to another…
    you, actually, worse the any antisimite

10. Dan Silagi says:

I am a secular Jew, Brian. I don't demand that a Jewish woman rabbi worshipping at the Western Wall not wear a tallit (the shawl-like garment observant Jews wear in synagogue) because she's female, and thus apparently violated the fatwa of some rabbi who lived 200 years ago, and was arrested by the Jerusalem police as a result.

I don't throw stones at secular Jews who, heaven forbid, drive on Shabbat. That's what Haredim do in Jerusalem, on public streets.

I don't demand that women move to the back of a public bus. That's what Haredim do in Israel.

This is why I despise Haredim. They are poster children for anti-Semitism and a perversion of a great religion.

11. Laura Greenberg says:

Shame on you Dan Silagi. Have we as Jews not suffered enough withought our own people cursing each other. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs whether you like it or not.

12. Laura Greenberg says:

13. Should I say the magnificent Budapest is lightyears ahead of 3rd world shooting-gallery Chicago or even crime-infested NY where I can come home whistling at 3: 30 a.m. wheneevr I want while you **** in yourpant just at the sheer thought, hmmm. What a fine and dandy place your Obamafraud America is…

14. Roughly 5 % of the ultras do that, but you don't want to face that because you are a moron.

15. Dan Silagi and who the f*** cares if you are a secular Jew. Is that a merit, is that sg we have to adore? Laughable.

16. Larisa Zelenko Did you tell that to me? If so, you are on the exact same level as Dan. But you cannot be an intelligent specie Larisa bearing in mind your way of writing…

17. Should I say the magnificent Budapest is lightyears ahead of 3rd world shooting-gallery Chicago or even crime-infested NY where I can come home whistling at 3: 30 a.m. whenever I feel like it while you **** in your pant just at the sheer thought, hmmm. What a fine and dandy place your Obamafraud America is….

18. Dan Silagi says:

Gabor, if you want to call me a Nazi, call me one directly to my face. And it's a lot more than 5%, most of their leaders encourage this kind of behavior.

19. Dan Silagi says:

Gabor Fränkl From your posts, I can see that you agree with that 5%.

20. You are a Nazi. Happy now?

21. Should I say the magnificent Budapest is lightyears ahead of 3rd world shooting-gallery Chicago or even crime-infested NY where I can come home whistling at 3: 30 a.m. whenever I feel like it while you **** in your pant just at the sheer thought, hmmm? What a fine and dandy place your Obamafraud America is….

22. Dan Silagi says:

Any time you wanna dance with me, Gabor. I'm a big guy and a bodybuilder.

23. Dan Silagi says:

Gabor Fränkl I wouldn't expect anything else from the readers of a newspaper whose chief editor once was Meir Kahane. BTW, I preferred him to Haredim; at least he wasn't a coward.

24. Dan Silagi says:

Gabor Fränkl Yeah, I'm secular — and intermarried. Got a problem with that?

25. So you first suggested I did't dare calling you the n word, then I did that and I was called then a coward. Tell me, are you always so weak in logic? I have my own conclusions. So you are intermarried. Good luck, at elast your children will never be Jewish. But who cares? I am by the way not halachically Jewish. So what. But I am not a disgusting moron either wishing other Jews in graveyard. Effete pathetic snob.

26. So you first suggested I did't dare calling you the n word, then I did that and I was called then a coward. Tell me, are you always so weak in logic? I have my own conclusions. So you are intermarried. Good luck, at elast your children will never be Jewish. But who cares? I am by the way not halachically Jewish. So what. But I am not a disgusting moron either wishing other Jews in graveyard. Effete pathetic snob.

27. And by the way clintonista-idiot – there are tons of Jews who masochictically enjoy spitting in their face only so that they could wipe the spit off their face and say it was raining. nothing special. 77, others say only 69 % of Jews in America have no spine and no shame, either. Probably never had. You are one of them.

28. Dan Silagi Should I say the magnificent Budapest is lightyears ahead of 3rd world shooting-gallery Chicago or even crime-infested NY where I can come home whistling at 3: 30 a.m. whenever I feel like it while you **** in your pant just at the sheer thought, hmmm? What a fine and dandy place your Obamafraud America is….

29. Dan Silagi says:

Let's see how physically strong you are, Gabor, you big-mouthed POS. And yeah, I'm a Clintonista too, and proud of it. You're pretty good at shooting off your schwanzsucking yap from 4,500 miles away. Try it from 1 foot, see what happens.

30. Dan Silagi and by the way *THEN* if you indeed did try something stupid to physically hurt me, I would not like to be in your place based on my understanding of American cops or, alternatively, what the justice system would mete out on you… But you would be happy to rot in prison and I would even be happier, too! That's your place after all, not Meryll Lynch.

31. "Szilágyi" ROFLMAO!

32. Dan Silagi says:

There is something ingrained in American Law called "fighting words," Gabor. One example would be calling a Jew a Nazi, which you have done. That is considered the equivalent of throwing the first punch. So if you did that I'd be legally justified in beating the living schitt out of you. Which I'm sure I could easily do, btw. My advice to you is to stay in Hungary.

33. Brian Hildebrand says:

Dan, you are a typical liberal as you resort to name calling when ever you don't have a logical arguement. Do you really believe you are superior to anyone in this world? Liberals claim to be open minded and tolerant but only if someone agrees with them. You sound very juvenile with your in the face, "let's see how tough you are", stance with Gabor. Do any liberal democrats really practise what their party preaches or is it just a ruse to look good. The party of the little guy, the minorities unless they happen to be conservative minorities or the Hareidim. The liberal press would crucify a republican for sterio typing anyone but you seem to be quite free sterio typing Gabor with your POS and shwanzsucking remarks. I'm guessing they have something to do with being of a certain ethnic origin. I'm a Canadian of German?Dutch descent but my ancestors also experienced pograms and persecution for religious reasons.

34. Dan Silagi says:

Gabor Fränkl Yeah, and I'm a direct descendant of Ilona Szilagyi, who married Vlad the Impaler, better known as Count Dracula. So watch your neck, especially when the moon is full and the wolves howl.

35. Liad Bar-el says:

Joe Settler, look at what you've created by your article. Did you really expect the responses from the talk-backers to be tolerant and understanding with a willingness to resolve differences when only problems were mentioned with no suggestions of possible solutions to those problems? So, as you blamed, so are the talk-backers blaming. As you didn’t open your blog up for suggestions; so, you’ve received none. I’ve always enjoyed reading your blogs and have thought that you provide an informative and fresh insight to what is happening in Israel. Could you not provide some informative fresh insights on how to resolve these problems as well? Caroline Glick is another informative and fresh insight article writer but with no plans, suggestions, nor even a hint on what to do with all the problems she expertly described. Like I have done with Caroline’s articles, so will I do with yours, I will cease reading them for my eyes are full of seeing problems and I’m searching for informative fresh solutions instead.

May I make a suggestion? This Haredi housing issue is old; so, why don’t you try and handle what has become new on the Jewish news web sites lately? It appears that an effort is being made to create Jews-for-Muhammed by stating that Islam is a religion of tolerance, love and peace. It appears that Jews are falling for this effort as well. You might find, Joe Settler, that your efforts in trying to combat this Islamic effort might be the same type of efforts one would need to use to combat this Haredi housing issue.Good luck in all your efforts.

36. Joe Settler says:

Liad Bar-El: There are Nazi-wannabes in the world. We can't avoid talking about important issues just because some troll will leave a sicko comment.

The solution is obvious. Chareidim should be allowed to build new towns and communities that meet their needs.

This is not to the exclusion of working to integrate Chariedim into the work force (priority 1) and the IDF (priority 2).

All sides of the Israeli spectrum will gain from this integration, and eventually learn to live together respectfully, peacefully and tolerantly in the same community.And just as importantly, it will cause an increase of Torah in Israel among everyone.

But it will take time to integrate properly, and it shouldn't be forced overnight.

Most Chareidim want to join the work force, and many want to join the IDF. But Israeli secular society must also be prepared for the compromises it to must make for this integration to work.

37. Joe Settler says:

Islam is currently not a religion of peace, tolerance and love.

But who says it can't be in the future?

At some point they could reinterpret their religion and turn it into what it is not today.

They could have a Reformation.

Perhaps we are witnessing the first steps of that happening (probably not though).

In my opinion, promoting a reformed and peaceful Islam should be done on Islamic sites. Letting the Moslems know there is an alternative exists that doesn't justify blowing up buses and restaurants.

But Islamic sites aren't open enough to letting something like that on.

I haven't yet formed a strong enough opinion on the subject to really comment on whether the Jewish papers should cover it.

38. Dan Silagi says:

When Haredim, both in Israel and the USA, stop dictating to others, especially other Jews, how they should practice or not practice their religion, then I'll become far more tolerant of them. Right now, the opposite is happening, and it's getting worse. I can't think of a reason why any secular Jew would want to make aliyah to Israel at this time, what with Haredim not recognizing marriages, etc.

39. Liad Bar-el says:

Joe Settler 100% right on the Haredi issue. Concerning Islam, the founder, Muhammad, was the inventor of insurgency warfare and history's first successful practitioner. Muhammad used terrorism to strike fear in the hearts of his enemies on a large scale. In the case of the Jewish tribes of Medina, Muhammad seems to have ordered the death of the entire Beni Qaynuqa tribe and the selling of their women and children into slavery, though he was later talked out of it by the chief of one of his allies. On another occasion, again against a Jewish tribe of Medina, he ordered all the tribe's adult males, some nine hundred, beheaded in the city square, the women and children sold into slavery, and their property distributed among his Muslim followers. Shortly after the conquest of Mecca, Muhammad declared "war to the knife" against all those who remained idolaters, instructing his followers to kill any pagans they encountered on the spot. Muhammad was a revolutionary and a fiery religious terrorist guerrilla leader who created and led the first genuine national insurgency in antiquity that is comprehensible in modern terms, a fact not lost on the jihadis of the present day, who often cite the Koran and Muhammad's use of violence as justification for their own insurgencies. With all of this said, which is just a drop in sea of the atrocities Islam has done in this world, it would appear that the "Reformation" that you speak of will be when the Mosiach comes. If this group of Islamists for peace can turn their Islamic jihad terrorist brethren around to peace then all the more power to them. They don’t have to sell me anything about peace of which we all want, they have to sell their peace to their own people who attack us daily and want to destroy us completely with nuclear bombs.

40. Dan Silagi says:

This isn't about Haredim having the right to their own beliefs. If they want to wear black hats and shaytels who am I to stop them? What this is about is Haredim trying to impose their religion on others. Specifically, about Maris Friedman, a Chabadnik rabbi, stating the Holocaust was the fault of Jews, not Nazis. That's what got me going yesterday. I have relatives, fortunately not very close ones, who were murdered by the Nazis. It wasn't their fault any more than the tsunami which devastated Japan in 2011 was my fault.

muqata logo 486x300
Brandeis University junior Khadijah Lynch who tweeted she has "no sympathy" for slain NYPD officers, shown here on "Wake Up With Tayla Andre, "Dec. 24, 2014.
A War of Words (Some More Accurate Than Others) at Brandeis
Diogenes searching for an "Honest Man"

Corruption accusations are commonplace in Israeli politics, defining it’s political landscape.

Game of Groans

The Likud falls in the Center where Bibi wants it. But how many voters want a parve/neutral party?

Doug Goldstein

Marketing isn’t only about selling a product, the “power of eventually” will help you to succeed.

My stairs had been built, big and strong-BUT ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE APARTMENT!

Is his article satire? Or does Kai Bird really think Tzipi Livni heads a “center-right” party?

Much as I’d like to see the Jewish nation fully observant forcing Shabbat on people is NOT the way.

Loyalty seems to be a lost trait in Israeli politics, whether it’s to ideals, principles or parties.

Apartment hunting is kinda like dating: You go see anything that looks right on paper-and pray.

Latest headlines say that Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu’s Likud may only make third place if…

What are the roles of leadership and communication in running a “tight ship”?

Sabraman: Israel’s first superhero, combining the courage of the Sabra and the faith of Abraham.

Is Haredi open-ended learning on charity better than earning a living that would obviate that?

Hanuka is the miracle of emunah- belief in the L-rd of Israel and the light of our faith.

Limiting Jewish success and revival is that the anti-Jewish, anti-History Left rules here in Israel

The crisis in Jewish education is of existential importance. How should it be resolved?