September 2, 2014 / 7 Elul, 5774
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

It’s OK for Sarah Silverman to Wear a Cross

Does anyone among our readers feel outrage at the image of this Jewish girl from upstate New York with a cross around her neck?

Sarah Silverman with the offending cross on the W. Kamau Bell "Totally Biased" show on FXX.

An article in YourJewishNews.com suggests: “Jews outraged after Sarah Silverman wears cross necklace during television interview.”

In a September appearance on “Totally Biased,” a less-than-funny FXX interview show with African-American comic wannabe W. Kamau Bell, the princess of circa 1995 outrage Sarah Silverman talked about how cruel are those “roasts” she starts in, where one’s colleagues as well as perfect strangers from the funny industry make fun of every possible aspect your body and soul. It wasn’t particularly interesting, frankly. It’s been a few years since I’ve heard Silverman tell a fresh, truly funny joke. Mostly she’s been busy attacking Republicans and elderly Florida Jews.

The only reason I went to the You Tube clip – which I can’t embed here or even link to, because of a few lines that would surely get me in trouble – was the buildup in the Shifra Unger story at YJN.

Shifra wrote: “Jews are expressing their anger after Jewish celebrity Sarah Silverman was seen on a television interview wearing a gold cross necklace, according to video uploaded to the Internet.”

And she’s right, I’m enclosing here a screen shot that shows SS with the offending cross. But who are those Jewish multitudes Shifra is writing about? Because she didn’t cite even one, singular, solitary Jew other than herself.

See, I was expecting at least the usual suspects: Abe Foxman, Abe Cooper, or at least our own Rabbi Yaakov Rosenblatt, whose open letter to Sarah so enraged her father, Donald, that it brought back his Tourette Syndrome.

But Shifra had none of those. Which, in my opinion, is reason enough to change the headline of her story to “Shifra outraged after Sarah Silverman wears cross necklace during television interview.”

The same Donald Silverman, the raging dad, responding to an item in Heeb magazine, wrote: “I told sarah that her nana (long passed) wanted to know about the cross. Sarah told me to tell nana she’s still a Jew. It came from something she wore on a movie set.”

OK, not my job to tell people you should take off symbols belonging to a religion that used them while burning alive Jews across several continents—that’s what ghostly nanas are for. But her sister, the famous Reform Rabbi Susan Silverman, also added:

“I’m her rabbi sister and called her and asked WTF? She got it, like our dad said, on a recent movie set and she just liked that it pointed to her [popular slang word meaning mammary glands]. Oy. :-)”

That aside, does anyone among our readers feel even a tinge of sadness, much less full blown outrage at the image of this Jewish girl from New Hampshire (I wrote originally ‘upstate New York,’ until Howard Graubard from Brooklyn set me right) with a cross around her neck?

Frankly, the most I’m feeling is a sense of relief. And a kind of twisted national pride: as long as Sarah Silverman kept her somewhat Jewish personality, her material was pretty strong. I liked her outrageous lyrics: “I love you more than bears love honey / I love you more than Jews love money / I love you more than Asians are good at math.” It has racial bias coupled with stereotypes, and in the context of a young girl’s love song it’s funny. But now that Sarah is going Christian, the same stuff comes across kind of antisemitic…

In any event, if Sarah is leaving us – which she has done anyway, a long time ago – it’s all good. The goyim could use a person with a good sense of humor, and we have plenty of ‘em to spare.

Somebody tell Shifra Unger ain’t none of us Jews outraged, false alarm.

About the Author: Yori Yanover has been a working journalist since age 17, before he enlisted and worked for Ba'Machane Nachal. Since then he has worked for Israel Shelanu, the US supplement of Yedioth, JCN18.com, USAJewish.com, Lubavitch News Service, Arutz 7 (as DJ on the high seas), and the Grand Street News. He has published Dancing and Crying, a colorful and intimate portrait of the last two years in the life of the late Lubavitch Rebbe, (in Hebrew), and two fun books in English: The Cabalist's Daughter: A Novel of Practical Messianic Redemption, and How Would God REALLY Vote.

203 Responses to “It’s OK for Sarah Silverman to Wear a Cross”

1. Beryl Cohen says:

yes, I do feel outrage. BUT, I don’t think that I have the right to feel so strongly about her choice.

2. Beryl Cohen says:

Yes, I do feel outrage. BUT, I don’t think that I have the right to feel so strongly about her choice.

3. Shira Louis Yashin says:

She’s not funny, she’s not smart, and she’s not Jewish anyway. No loss.

4. She’s not funny, she’s not smart, and she’s not Jewish anyway. No loss.

5. She’s not funny, she’s not smart, and she’s not Jewish anyway. No loss.

6. She’s not funny, she’s not smart, and she’s not Jewish anyway. No loss.

7. Livia Birnbaum Rothman says:

8. Boy, this is some way to get attention! Celebrities are always wanting to do that, I guess she can’t get nought attention with her jokes.

9. Boy, this is some way to get attention! Celebrities are always wanting to do that, I guess she can’t get nought attention with her jokes.

10. Boy, this is some way to get attention! Celebrities are always wanting to do that, I guess she can’t get nought attention with her jokes.

11. Faye Stiller Sued says:

12. Sarah Silverman is a shock Jock she does everything to push the envelope. Jews of Hollywood NEVER STAND UP OUTRAGED when Anti Semitic occurrences happen. The biggest one of all Barbara Walters. Never Ever backs the Jews. she has a platform everyday on the show “The View” Please get over it.

13. Sarah Silverman is a shock Jock she does everything to push the envelope. Jews of Hollywood NEVER STAND UP OUTRAGED when Anti Semitic occurrences happen. The biggest one of all Barbara Walters. Never Ever backs the Jews. she has a platform everyday on the show “The View” Please get over it.

14. Sarah Silverman is a shock Jock she does everything to push the envelope. Jews of Hollywood NEVER STAND UP OUTRAGED when Anti Semitic occurrences happen. The biggest one of all Barbara Walters. Never Ever backs the Jews. she has a platform everyday on the show “The View” Please get over it.

15. Josh Barrack says:

The only question I have, is what kind of cemetery they’ll put her carcass in when she dies unmourned. I feel bad for her parents. I’d opt for an honor killing if my daughter turned out this deranged. Christianity was created to wipe out Judaism, and kapos like this are their attack dogs.

16. Josh Barrack says:

17. Josh Barrack says:

18. bat211 says:

I don’t like it. I also don’t like people such as Sarah Michelle Gellar who won’t even admit who they are.

19. Eugenio A. Alonso says:

Why give this yenta any publicity?

20. Why give this yenta any publicity?

21. Why give this yenta any publicity?

22. Myriam Obadia says:

Quite frankly, I couldn't possibly care less. She, George Soros, and a few others seem to be Jewish only through the accident of birth and certainly not by any conscious choice or moral backbone.

23. Josh Ram says:

unless she comes to quebec

24. Josh Ram says:

unless she comes to quebec

25. Josh Ram says:

unless she comes to quebec

26. Please let Sarah Silverman, being possibly Jewish, wear the cross.
    Her name indicates Ashkenazim origin.
    Don't make such a fuss about this.
    Be proud that Sarah is doing her own thing and not giving in to the peer pressure of the so-called chosen ones.
    What about non-Jews wearing a Magen David? I see or hear nowhere a protest about this Zionist emblem, even when goyim are wearing these.
    By the way, he is a real Jew, who is having the DNA of Abraham!

27. Marianna Mujnoo says:

Wearing a cross I am fine with, it is the breathing part I am not ok with ; )

28. Wearing a cross I am fine with, it is the breathing part I am not ok with ; )

29. Hadassah DeJack says:

@Shira Louis Yashin i guess her sister the rabbi isn’t jewish either.  just because yids don’t hold to your level of observance doesn’t make them not jewish.  it isn’t the female rabbis and intermarriage that are going to undermine the fabric of judaism- it is people like you who publicly criticize other members of the tribe and call them ‘not jewish.’

30. David Blatt says:

Do I really care?

31. Marianna Mujnoo says:

32. @Josh Barrack … You need to go back and read and study … your ignorance is not bliss you are a bigot and disgusting excuse for a human being … you should go to join the evil side and follow allah … I had the unfortunate experience to view your opinions elsewhere and now here … I do not feel as bad for your daughter with a honor killing as I do with her having you as father

33. @Josh Barrack … You need to go back and read and study … your ignorance is not bliss you are a bigot and disgusting excuse for a human being … you should go to join the evil side and follow allah … I had the unfortunate experience to view your opinions elsewhere and now here … I do not feel as bad for your daughter with a honor killing as I do with her having you as father

34. Marianna Mujnoo says:

35. @Josh Barrack … You need to go back and read and study … your ignorance is not bliss you are a bigot and disgusting excuse for a human being … you should go to join the evil side and follow allah … I had the unfortunate experience to view your opinions elsewhere and now here … I do not feel as bad for your daughter with a honor killing as I do with her having you as father

36. @Josh Barrack … You need to go back and read and study … your ignorance is not bliss you are a bigot and disgusting excuse for a human being … you should go to join the evil side and follow allah … I had the unfortunate experience to view your opinions elsewhere and now here … I do not feel as bad for your daughter with a honor killing as I do with her having you as father

37. Menachem Rephun says:

38. She’s irritating as hell and keeps creating chillulei hashem with her grating shtick

39. She’s irritating as hell and keeps creating chillulei hashem with her grating shtick

40. Menachem Rephun says:

You have the right to feel strongly about anything you want to

41. You have the right to feel strongly about anything you want to

42. You have the right to feel strongly about anything you want to

43. Dan Silagi says:

Yori, I'm glad you gave your consent allowing Sarah Silverman to wear a cross. I'm sure this is gonna make her day; some Kahanist now living in Israel has given his blessing, satirical as it was. As she's Reform, she's not Jewish anyway, at least according to your and your fellow frummies, so what's the big deal?

44. Menachem Rephun says:

45. Feeling strongly about something is fine as long as it isn’t imposing your will on people or forcing them to accept your values

46. Feeling strongly about something is fine as long as it isn’t imposing your will on people or forcing them to accept your values

47. Menachem Rephun says:

She’s not really Jewish?

48. She’s not really Jewish?

49. She’s not really Jewish?

50. Menachem Rephun says:

I don’t like her but as far as I know she’s Jewish

51. I don’t like her but as far as I know she’s Jewish

52. I don’t like her but as far as I know she’s Jewish

53. Millie Kashuk says:

Sara Silverman does not represent a true Jewish Woman……In fact she
    does not represent anything related to our heritage. I am sad for her!!
    She does not belong anyplace or anywhere…We all pay a price for our actions.

54. Shira Louis Yashin says:

Her mother is not Jewish.

Candy-laden bulletin board greets children on their first day of school in the lobby of an Efrat apartment building. Sept. 1, 2014.
The message reads:
"To our dear children ... may it be a year of fun and happiness in your studies."
Did You Know September 1 is an Israeli National Holiday?
paramedikit-3

“I knew that being there would allow me to protect other soldiers.”

Kerry Repeats

JoeSettler asks what could still possibly be on the negotiating table with the PA after a summer like we just had…

Kurdistan Crisis

You did not want to listen because you could not blame my Israel.

iphone

Now everyone has easy access to the culture and all of its vices, both social and intellectual.

Connect the dots, please: All of these Muslim Arab terror organizations are connected.

“…while Hamas has been weakened it has not been destroyed…”

Jewish donors bought and donated the greenhouses to the Palestinians.

This week’s podcast discusses the need for transparency in international business dealings.

The new “Begin Plan” is an impending nightmare, it rewards the Bedouins for brazen land-grabbing.

There is absolutely nothing for Israel’s security in this American document.

Is it because of corrupt values and lack of meeting opportunities that we have a shidduch crisis?

Israel is fighting the war that none of the Western world has the ability or courage to fight.

Finish the job! Sayyem et a missima!סיים את המסימה!

Life after 50? You better believe it! Tips on how to prepare and enjoy life after retirement.

While I am no fan of the two-state solution, I think I have a solution for the Gaza strip. Let me make it perfectly clear that in no way do I believe a Palestinian people, nation or Arab State ever existed in the history of the world and certainly was not occupied by Israel. If […]

Hamas targeted the Erez Crossing when it knew that Gazans and Israeli Arabs would be there, out in the open…