Obama’s policies don’t—in the strict sense of the term—reward businesses for shipping jobs overseas; they merely punish businesses for remaining in America. Taxing executives more while adding to the regulatory and cost burden will make things worse.
If one wants to analyze Obama’s claims the auto industry is the place to start. Look at the policies of General Motors, the most favored and government-influenced of all American companies, which has shipped jobs overseas. If American cars are on those foreign streets, it will be because they were manufactured in China. (I wonder if Obama’s choice of South Korea rather than China as the Asian country in his list was deliberately made to conceal that fact).
And then, par for the course, he announces a new and unneeded additional bureaucracy called the Trade Enforcement Unit that will carry on investigations that could be done by existing institutions. That’s how Obama creates jobs.
Then he produces a real whopper:
Yet Obama has claimed victory over the terrorists while U.S. forces in Iraq were at their height. His own statements undercut that argument. And what big new way is the United States been striking blows at its enemies since the withdrawal? I cannot think of anything (continued drone strikes in Yemen?). But if you think that the Benghazi terrorists (not the California videomaker), the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas in particular, the Syrian Brotherhood and Salafists, Hizballah, etc., are “enemies” then how has the Obama Administration escalated efforts against them now that it has pulled all those troops out of Iraq and can spare them for other operations?
Like much of Obama’s speech, if one actually pays attention to the language and claims, it dissolves into ridiculousness.
Then we come to the “Arab Spring”:
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- Sobriety in Our Time: Iraqi Parliament Bans Alcohol
on October 23, 2016 1:04 PM
- Israel Will Not Sign On to US Regulation of Israeli Drone Exports
on October 23, 2016 12:45 PM
- Egypt’s Tunnel Destroying Officer Assassinated
on October 23, 2016 11:34 AM
- Report: S. Korean Military May Lease Israeli Reconnaissance Satellite
on October 23, 2016 10:28 AM
- Test Rocket Fired From Gaza [video]
on October 23, 2016 9:48 AM
- Closures Imposed on PA Crossings for Jewish Holiday of Simchat Torah
on October 23, 2016 12:01 AM
- Bob Dylan Maintains Silence, Continues to Ignore Nobel Award Committee
on October 22, 2016 11:23 PM
- Gaza Digger Dies in Hamas Tunnel Collapse
on October 22, 2016 10:43 PM
- Day 3: Arab Peacemakers Still Imprisoned by Palestinian Authority; Human Rights Groups Silent
on October 22, 2016 10:04 PM
- Global Competitiveness Report Gives Israel High Marks for Innovation [video]
on October 22, 2016 9:38 PM
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Mosul as Iraqi Forces Close In
on October 22, 2016 9:22 PM
- Egyptian Court Denies Appeal, Sending Morsi to 20 Years in Prison
on October 22, 2016 8:33 PM
- Massive Cyber Attack Knocks Out Major US Internet Sites, Then in Parts of Europe
on October 22, 2016 8:22 PM
- Discovery: ‘Jerusalem’ on Hebrew Papyrus
on October 21, 2016 1:41 PM
- Report: US, Egypt, Asking PA Not to Approach UN Security Council before US Elections
on October 21, 2016 9:51 AM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: