Obama’s policies don’t—in the strict sense of the term—reward businesses for shipping jobs overseas; they merely punish businesses for remaining in America. Taxing executives more while adding to the regulatory and cost burden will make things worse.
If one wants to analyze Obama’s claims the auto industry is the place to start. Look at the policies of General Motors, the most favored and government-influenced of all American companies, which has shipped jobs overseas. If American cars are on those foreign streets, it will be because they were manufactured in China. (I wonder if Obama’s choice of South Korea rather than China as the Asian country in his list was deliberately made to conceal that fact).
And then, par for the course, he announces a new and unneeded additional bureaucracy called the Trade Enforcement Unit that will carry on investigations that could be done by existing institutions. That’s how Obama creates jobs.
Then he produces a real whopper:
Yet Obama has claimed victory over the terrorists while U.S. forces in Iraq were at their height. His own statements undercut that argument. And what big new way is the United States been striking blows at its enemies since the withdrawal? I cannot think of anything (continued drone strikes in Yemen?). But if you think that the Benghazi terrorists (not the California videomaker), the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas in particular, the Syrian Brotherhood and Salafists, Hizballah, etc., are “enemies” then how has the Obama Administration escalated efforts against them now that it has pulled all those troops out of Iraq and can spare them for other operations?
Like much of Obama’s speech, if one actually pays attention to the language and claims, it dissolves into ridiculousness.
Then we come to the “Arab Spring”:
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Moshe Feiglin Drops Out of Likud PM Race
on December 18, 2014 11:06 AM
- The Jewish Hipster Party
on December 18, 2014 10:14 AM
- Terror Threat Puts Kabash on Sony’s NYC Film Release
on December 18, 2014 2:30 AM
- Harvard Boycotts SodaStream (Despite Company’s Surrender)
on December 18, 2014 2:16 AM
- Israel’s FM Liberman Declines Swedish Meeting Request Over PA Recognition
on December 18, 2014 1:35 AM
- US Re-Defines ‘Unilateral’ to Justify PA Burying the Oslo Accords
on December 17, 2014 10:16 PM
- ‘Freedom of Speech’ Under Abbas-led Palestinian Authority
on December 17, 2014 8:01 PM
- Alan Gross Freed From Cuban Jail
on December 17, 2014 5:32 PM
- Boy Arrested Trying to Recreate Chanukah on Temple Mount
on December 17, 2014 3:45 PM
- European Jewish Leaders: Court Decision on Hamas ‘Legitimizes Murder’
on December 17, 2014 2:04 PM
- Jeb Bush Uses Hanukkah And Christmas Greeting To Launch Presidential Bid
on December 17, 2014 1:21 PM
- Netanyahu Rejects EU Court’s ‘Technicality’ to Whitewash Hamas
on December 17, 2014 1:15 PM
- Fear and Loathing in the Palestinian Authority
on December 17, 2014 12:23 PM
- Haredi Israelis Get the Most Benefits and Are the Deepest in Debt
on December 17, 2014 12:16 PM
- EU Court ‘Temporarily’ Removes Hamas from List of Terrorist Groups
on December 17, 2014 11:41 AM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: