Obama’s policies don’t—in the strict sense of the term—reward businesses for shipping jobs overseas; they merely punish businesses for remaining in America. Taxing executives more while adding to the regulatory and cost burden will make things worse.
If one wants to analyze Obama’s claims the auto industry is the place to start. Look at the policies of General Motors, the most favored and government-influenced of all American companies, which has shipped jobs overseas. If American cars are on those foreign streets, it will be because they were manufactured in China. (I wonder if Obama’s choice of South Korea rather than China as the Asian country in his list was deliberately made to conceal that fact).
And then, par for the course, he announces a new and unneeded additional bureaucracy called the Trade Enforcement Unit that will carry on investigations that could be done by existing institutions. That’s how Obama creates jobs.
Then he produces a real whopper:
Yet Obama has claimed victory over the terrorists while U.S. forces in Iraq were at their height. His own statements undercut that argument. And what big new way is the United States been striking blows at its enemies since the withdrawal? I cannot think of anything (continued drone strikes in Yemen?). But if you think that the Benghazi terrorists (not the California videomaker), the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas in particular, the Syrian Brotherhood and Salafists, Hizballah, etc., are “enemies” then how has the Obama Administration escalated efforts against them now that it has pulled all those troops out of Iraq and can spare them for other operations?
Like much of Obama’s speech, if one actually pays attention to the language and claims, it dissolves into ridiculousness.
Then we come to the “Arab Spring”:
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- Arrangement Act Protecting Judea and Samaria Communities Approved in Preliminary Vote
on December 8, 2016 10:06 AM
- Terrorist Neutralized in Attack at Tapuach Junction
on December 8, 2016 9:07 AM
- Netanyahu to Hollande: Suspend Peace Summit, I’ll Meet with Abbas
on December 8, 2016 8:19 AM
- Netanyahu to Discuss UN Voting Record During Visit to Kazakhstan
on December 8, 2016 2:25 AM
- UK Neo-Nazi Found Guilty in Anti-Semitism Trial
on December 8, 2016 1:38 AM
- Hamas Diggers Killed in Gaza Tunnel Collapse Near Israel’s Southern Border
on December 8, 2016 12:27 AM
- Wannabe Mugger Nabbed After 90-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor Hits Back [video]
on December 8, 2016 12:03 AM
- ‘Except Amona’ Regulations Bill Passes First Knesset Reading
on December 7, 2016 10:49 PM
- Rabbi Adin Even Yisrael Steinsaltz Hospitalized in Jerusalem
on December 7, 2016 9:24 PM
- TIME Magazine Chooses Donald Trump as ‘Person of the Year’
on December 7, 2016 8:37 PM
- Haifa’s Arab Food Festival Brings Jewish and Arab Chefs Together
on December 7, 2016 5:15 PM
- New Zealand PM, Son of Holocaust Refugee, Resigns
on December 7, 2016 4:48 PM
- Liberman: We’re Blocking Smuggled Weapons of Mass Destruction from Syria to Hezbollah
on December 7, 2016 4:23 PM
- Happy 100th Birthday, Mr. Issur Danielovitch, We Loved You in ‘Cast a Giant Shadow’
on December 7, 2016 1:08 PM
- Reports: Israel Attacked Syrian Airport Overnight [video]
on December 7, 2016 12:09 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: