Obama’s policies don’t—in the strict sense of the term—reward businesses for shipping jobs overseas; they merely punish businesses for remaining in America. Taxing executives more while adding to the regulatory and cost burden will make things worse.
If one wants to analyze Obama’s claims the auto industry is the place to start. Look at the policies of General Motors, the most favored and government-influenced of all American companies, which has shipped jobs overseas. If American cars are on those foreign streets, it will be because they were manufactured in China. (I wonder if Obama’s choice of South Korea rather than China as the Asian country in his list was deliberately made to conceal that fact).
And then, par for the course, he announces a new and unneeded additional bureaucracy called the Trade Enforcement Unit that will carry on investigations that could be done by existing institutions. That’s how Obama creates jobs.
Then he produces a real whopper:
Yet Obama has claimed victory over the terrorists while U.S. forces in Iraq were at their height. His own statements undercut that argument. And what big new way is the United States been striking blows at its enemies since the withdrawal? I cannot think of anything (continued drone strikes in Yemen?). But if you think that the Benghazi terrorists (not the California videomaker), the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas in particular, the Syrian Brotherhood and Salafists, Hizballah, etc., are “enemies” then how has the Obama Administration escalated efforts against them now that it has pulled all those troops out of Iraq and can spare them for other operations?
Like much of Obama’s speech, if one actually pays attention to the language and claims, it dissolves into ridiculousness.
Then we come to the “Arab Spring”:
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- V’ten Tal Umatar Livracha Started Today
on October 31, 2014 3:21 PM
- Yehuda Glick’s Condition Stabilizing, “He Was Very Lucky” (1:00 PM)
on October 31, 2014 1:33 PM
- Can IKEA Put Together a Middle East Peace Package?
on October 31, 2014 1:08 PM
- US Officials Banned from Old City on Friday
on October 31, 2014 11:20 AM
- Yehuda Glick’s Doctors Cautiously Optimistic
on October 31, 2014 10:13 AM
- Elections? Polls Show Center-Left on the Skids
on October 31, 2014 9:14 AM
- Peru Foils Hezbollah Plot to Murder Israelis
on October 31, 2014 8:13 AM
- US Told Israel Temple Mount ’Must Be Opened to Muslims’
on October 31, 2014 3:40 AM
- Ya’alon Scraps Purchase of US Aircraft
on October 31, 2014 1:29 AM
- Abbas’ Fatah Party Calls for ‘Day of Rage’ on Muslim ‘Day of Rest’
on October 30, 2014 10:06 PM
- Special: Yishai Fleisher Interview with Yehuda Glick
on October 30, 2014 8:43 PM
- ‘Small Improvement’ in Glick’s Condition but Still Life-Threatening
on October 30, 2014 8:18 PM
- Israel Recalls Ambassador from Sweden over Recognition of PA
on October 30, 2014 8:06 PM
- Organization of Major Jewish Organizations: Name Calling Not Productive
on October 30, 2014 6:11 PM
- MK Moshe Feiglin to Receive Permanent Security Detail
on October 30, 2014 5:29 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: