Obama’s policies don’t—in the strict sense of the term—reward businesses for shipping jobs overseas; they merely punish businesses for remaining in America. Taxing executives more while adding to the regulatory and cost burden will make things worse.
If one wants to analyze Obama’s claims the auto industry is the place to start. Look at the policies of General Motors, the most favored and government-influenced of all American companies, which has shipped jobs overseas. If American cars are on those foreign streets, it will be because they were manufactured in China. (I wonder if Obama’s choice of South Korea rather than China as the Asian country in his list was deliberately made to conceal that fact).
And then, par for the course, he announces a new and unneeded additional bureaucracy called the Trade Enforcement Unit that will carry on investigations that could be done by existing institutions. That’s how Obama creates jobs.
Then he produces a real whopper:
Yet Obama has claimed victory over the terrorists while U.S. forces in Iraq were at their height. His own statements undercut that argument. And what big new way is the United States been striking blows at its enemies since the withdrawal? I cannot think of anything (continued drone strikes in Yemen?). But if you think that the Benghazi terrorists (not the California videomaker), the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas in particular, the Syrian Brotherhood and Salafists, Hizballah, etc., are “enemies” then how has the Obama Administration escalated efforts against them now that it has pulled all those troops out of Iraq and can spare them for other operations?
Like much of Obama’s speech, if one actually pays attention to the language and claims, it dissolves into ridiculousness.
Then we come to the “Arab Spring”:
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
- EU Supports Economic Activity in Moroccan Occupied Territories
on December 6, 2013 12:15 PM
- Aryeh Deri Feints Right
on December 6, 2013 10:45 AM
- Orthodox & Reform Rabbis Condemn Arab Violence against Settlers
on December 6, 2013 10:36 AM
- Arabs Help Couple Save Baby from Carjackers
on December 6, 2013 8:39 AM
- Second Generation Israeli-Americans Twice as Likely to Intermarry
on December 6, 2013 8:37 AM
- Nelson Mandela (95)
on December 6, 2013 12:20 AM
- German Soccer Team Boycotts Saudi Airline that Banned Israelis
on December 5, 2013 10:24 PM
- PA Official: We Reject US Safeguards for Israel in Peace Plan
on December 5, 2013 9:05 PM
- DC’s Eli’s Restaurant to Relocate on Same Street
on December 5, 2013 6:46 PM
- World-Renowned Pianist Evgeny Kissin to Get Israeli Citizenship
on December 5, 2013 6:23 PM
- Mohel Urges New Dads to Help Make the Cut at Circumcision
on December 5, 2013 5:58 PM
- Argentinian Rabbi Sworn into National Parliament on Tanach
on December 5, 2013 5:18 PM
- Kerry Comes with Bad News: Israel’s Security at Top of US Agenda
on December 5, 2013 4:13 PM
- Former Followers of ‘Kabbalah Centre’ Sue for Fraud
on December 5, 2013 2:42 PM
- Winter Finally Comes to Israel; Snow on the Hermon
on December 5, 2013 2:15 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: