It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- The Arab Spring of Anarchy Has Come to Israel
on October 9, 2015 4:57 PM
- Tsfat Chief Rabbi Eliyahu: Soldiers Who Let Captured Terrorists Live Must Be Prosecuted
on October 9, 2015 4:15 PM
- Waiting for Rockets as Gazans Reportedly Killed in Border Clashes with IDF
on October 9, 2015 4:03 PM
- Shanghai Magnet School Offering Hebrew, Language of the ‘Smart People’
on October 9, 2015 3:34 PM
- Terrorist Captured in Afula
on October 9, 2015 1:50 PM
- Israeli Startup Launching World’s First Privately-Funded Moon Landing
on October 9, 2015 1:15 PM
- Only 0.3% of Yearly Visitors to Temple Mount Are Jews
on October 9, 2015 1:04 PM
- Arab MK Zoabi Who Swore Allegiance to Jewish State: I Don’t Take Orders from Israel
on October 9, 2015 12:58 PM
- Terrorist Shot Dead after Stabbing Policeman in Kiryat Arba [video]
on October 9, 2015 12:53 PM
- Stabbing in Jerusalem
on October 9, 2015 12:16 PM
- Jerusalem Arabs Indicted for Plot to Bring Pipe Bombs to Temple Mount
on October 9, 2015 11:34 AM
- Russia and Israel Quietly Collaborating on Attacks in Syria
on October 9, 2015 11:06 AM
- Updated: Jewish Teen Stabs 4 Arab in Dimona “I thought they were terrorists”
on October 9, 2015 9:56 AM
- PM Netanyahu’s Statement on the Ongoing Arab Terrorism
on October 9, 2015 7:49 AM
- UK Wants EU to Speed Up Deportations as Winter Approaches
on October 9, 2015 2:38 AM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: