It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Inside Look at Princeton’s Israel Divestment Failure
on April 27, 2015 3:42 PM
- Shhhhhhh! Police Now Say Bus was Firebombed Saturday Night
on April 27, 2015 12:22 PM
- Gilead Sciences to Open Office in Israel
on April 27, 2015 11:36 AM
- Fate of Israelis Still Unknown as Nepal Death Toll Climbs to 3,300 [video]
on April 27, 2015 10:42 AM
- Sources: Al Qaeda Bombed Hezbollah and Framed Israel
on April 27, 2015 10:03 AM
- Meretz Warns against ‘Danger’ of Bennett as Education Minister
on April 27, 2015 9:19 AM
- Reports: IAF Strikes Syrian/Hezbollah Targets Overnight
on April 27, 2015 7:30 AM
- IAF Airlift to Arrive Overnight with Rescued Israelis from Nepal
on April 26, 2015 11:07 PM
- Chabad Co-Emissary in Nepal Hopes for ‘Only Good News’ in Video
on April 26, 2015 10:34 PM
- In UK, Muslim Candidate Sneers at Ed Miliband, ‘The Jew’
on April 26, 2015 7:55 PM
- Arab Tries to Steal Guard’s Gun
on April 26, 2015 6:56 PM
- GOP’s Sen. Ted Cruz Courts Jewish Vote in Las Vegas
on April 26, 2015 6:17 PM
- Peres & Associates Turning Political Cache into Millions in Cash
on April 26, 2015 3:57 PM
- Israeli Search and Rescue Organizations Arrive in Nepal
on April 26, 2015 2:43 PM
- Abbas’ Son Loses $10 Million Libel Suit in US Court
on April 26, 2015 2:37 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: