It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- IDF Soldiers Injured in Terror Attack From Sinai
on October 22, 2014 3:20 PM
- UPDATED: Car Rams Through Gush Etzion Checkpoint, Guard Injured
on October 22, 2014 2:10 PM
- IDF Checks for Terror Tunnel Threat in Northern Israel
on October 22, 2014 1:11 PM
- Large Blaze Threatened Yitzhar
on October 22, 2014 12:22 PM
- Circumcision – Are Muslims Doing It Wrong?
on October 22, 2014 11:45 AM
- IDF Confirms Hamas Mega-Attack Plan
on October 22, 2014 10:39 AM
- 2 New Chief Rabbis Elected for Jerusalem After 10-Yr Hiatus
on October 22, 2014 10:09 AM
- US Restricts Air Travel from Africa to Contain Ebola
on October 22, 2014 2:46 AM
- Israel Attempts to Insert Reason into UN Debate About Middle East
on October 22, 2014 2:12 AM
- Syrian Mortar hits Israeli Golan Tuesday Morning
on October 21, 2014 11:05 PM
- Head of Iran’s Top Clerical Body Dies
on October 21, 2014 5:48 PM
- ‘Radicalized’ Convert to Islam Attempted to Murder Canadian Soldiers [video]
on October 21, 2014 5:45 PM
- Abbas Wreaks Vengeance on Arabs Selling Land to Jews
on October 21, 2014 5:17 PM
- Israel’s Government Recruits Citizens to ‘Fight Ebola’
on October 21, 2014 4:58 PM
- Beach Boys Cancel Israel Performance
on October 21, 2014 3:58 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: