It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Rabbis, Jewish Gun Club Oppose RCA and OU’s Endorsement of ‘Arbitrary’ Gun Control
on September 16, 2014 11:20 PM
- IDF Confirms: Rocket Launched from Gaza
on September 16, 2014 8:47 PM
- Arson Attack on Brussels Synagogue
on September 16, 2014 5:40 PM
- US Jews ‘Bought Israel’ During War
on September 16, 2014 4:40 PM
- Shekel Dollar Rates Breaks Year High at 3.64
on September 16, 2014 4:20 PM
- German Man on Trial for ISIS Membership Played On Jewish Soccer Team
on September 16, 2014 3:24 PM
- Death Row Inmate: ‘Kosher-like’ is Not Kosher’
on September 16, 2014 2:55 PM
- Report: ISIS Shoots Down Syrian Regime Plane
on September 16, 2014 2:11 PM
- 8-year-old Struck and Killed by School Bus
on September 16, 2014 1:36 PM
- New Cancer Drug Uses Immunotherapy to Treat Metastatic Melanoma
on September 16, 2014 1:13 PM
- Lapid Won’t Let Defense Demands Turn Into ‘Turkish Bazaar’
on September 16, 2014 12:53 PM
- Turkey Offers to Host Muslim Brotherhood Leadership
on September 16, 2014 12:34 PM
- Israel Fights Back Against the Jerusalem Intifada
on September 16, 2014 11:55 AM
- First Time: US Bombs ISIS Near Baghdad to Support Iraqi Troops
on September 16, 2014 10:35 AM
- Travel Advisory: Have a Safe Holiday by Staying in Israel
on September 15, 2014 10:22 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: