It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Teenage ‘Scissor Terrorist’ Complains ‘I Was Just Defending Myself’ [video]
on November 27, 2015 8:50 AM
- Terrorist Killed after Injuring 2 in Ramming Attack on Dead Sea Highway
on November 27, 2015 7:44 AM
- ‘Breaking the Silence’ Regret Use of their Work Against Israel
on November 26, 2015 10:54 PM
- Canada to Give Priority in Entry to Gay Refugees, Banning Single Straight Men
on November 26, 2015 6:26 PM
- IAEA Chief Warns No Guarantee All of Iran’s Nuclear Material is for Peaceful Activities
on November 26, 2015 6:23 PM
- IAF Policy: No Downing of Russian Aircraft Penetrating Israeli Airspace
on November 26, 2015 5:47 PM
- El Al Delays Flight to Rule Out Terror at Amsterdam Airport
on November 26, 2015 5:05 PM
- Yesha Council, Leaking Central Command Chief Meeting Ends in Lovefest
on November 26, 2015 5:01 PM
- Russia Shuts Border Gates to Turkish Trucks
on November 26, 2015 4:33 PM
- Update 4:22 PM: Soldier dead, 3 Seriously Hurt after Bus Overturns in Samaria.
on November 26, 2015 4:02 PM
- Abbas Tells Kerry No One Can Stop Violence – at Same Time PA Promotes It
on November 26, 2015 3:31 PM
- Former ‘Lone Soldier’ from NY Serves up Turkeys for American Olim
on November 26, 2015 3:14 PM
- New Jersey Businesswoman Launches ‘Give18’ for Victims of Terror
on November 26, 2015 2:36 PM
- Russia Punishes Turkey by Importing Tomatoes from Israel
on November 26, 2015 1:54 PM
- Report: Europeans Funded ICC War Crimes Submission against Israel
on November 26, 2015 12:31 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: