It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- A Tale of Two Prayers: Muslims and Clinton vs. Jews and Psalms [video]
on September 4, 2015 1:08 PM
- ‘Catch-22″ Comes to the Temple Mount
on September 4, 2015 10:26 AM
- Biden Tells Atlanta Jews ‘Honest to God, I Don’t Know If I Will Run’ [video]
on September 4, 2015 10:12 AM
- ‘Lone Soldiers’ Get a Treat in ‘Fun Day’ At Water Park
on September 4, 2015 9:12 AM
- British MP Accuses UK of Supporting Iran ‘at Expense of Allies’
on September 4, 2015 8:52 AM
- Cory Booker + 2 More Senators Announce Support for Nuclear Iran Deal
on September 4, 2015 1:30 AM
- Netanyahu, Kahlon Cut Taxes to Spur Sluggish Economy
on September 3, 2015 11:00 PM
- Attempted Lynch Attack on 5 US Jewish Tourists in Hebron, Saved by Local Arab
on September 3, 2015 8:03 PM
- A Jewish Family’s Search To Save a Daughter With Familial Disautonomia
on September 3, 2015 7:23 PM
- Head of Joint Arab List Hospitalized with Chest Pain
on September 3, 2015 6:28 PM
- Pres. Rivlin Meets in State Visit with Pope Francis at Vatican
on September 3, 2015 6:08 PM
- French Investigators Rule ‘No Evidence’ Yasser Arafat Murdered
on September 3, 2015 3:48 PM
- Analysis: New Pew Report Has Seen the Jewish American Future and It’s Orthodox
on September 3, 2015 3:08 PM
- Knesset Approves Budget in 1st Voting Round as Shas Threatens to Pull Support
on September 3, 2015 2:29 PM
- Australian PM in Trouble for Saying ISIS Evil Worse Than Nazi Evil
on September 3, 2015 2:25 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: