It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- David Wichs, Philanthropist, 38, Passes in NYC
on February 6, 2016 8:34 PM
- ‘Juniper Cobra 2016’ US-IDF Exercises Happening this Month After All
on February 6, 2016 8:15 PM
- Jewish Woman Stabbed in Bedouin Town of Rahat
on February 6, 2016 8:00 PM
- S&P Keeps Israel’s Credit Rating at A+
on February 6, 2016 7:31 PM
- Teen Terrorist Killed After Firebombing Israeli Vehicles on Highway 60 in Judea
on February 6, 2016 7:23 PM
- Bernie Sanders Claims ‘Very Strong Religious’ Feelings
on February 5, 2016 3:42 PM
- Netanyahu, Edelstein, to File Complaints with Ethics Committee Against Arab MKs
on February 5, 2016 2:03 PM
- Defense Ministry’s Gilad: Preventive War Against Tunnels Impractical
on February 5, 2016 1:32 PM
- Senior Israeli Official: French Peace Initiative Doomed like the Rest
on February 5, 2016 11:33 AM
- Chuck and Rachel and Bernie and Hillary Talk ISIS [video]
on February 5, 2016 10:51 AM
- Here’s an Easy Way to Find Out if Your Congress Member is Actually Pro-Israel
on February 5, 2016 3:06 AM
- Netanyahu Asking Knesset Speaker for Sanctions Against Pro-Terrorist Arab MKs
on February 4, 2016 9:22 PM
- Simpsons Search Engine for Folks Who Want to Be Cool and Jewish
on February 4, 2016 8:25 PM
- Ultra-Orthodox MK Bill Ends Action Against Tax Debtors before Holidays
on February 4, 2016 7:21 PM
- Russia: Bad Turkey Planning Invasion of Syria, Good Israel Cooperating with Russians
on February 4, 2016 5:53 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: