It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- IDF Selects First Female Commander of Navy Ship
on November 27, 2014 7:21 AM
- 3 Gazans Caught in Israel
on November 27, 2014 6:42 AM
- Israelis Donate Masses of Hair to Cancer Patients
on November 27, 2014 3:32 AM
- Israel’s 2014 Cruise Ship Tourist Numbers Affected By… Operation Pillar of Defense
on November 26, 2014 11:45 PM
- Heart Surgery for US Supreme Ct Justice Ginsburg
on November 26, 2014 11:36 PM
- Shas: For 0% VAT on Basic Goods, We’ll Join Coalition
on November 26, 2014 9:10 PM
- Arab Charged with 3 Arson Attempts at Hadassah Hospital, Where He Worked
on November 26, 2014 8:37 PM
- The Hidden Reason the United States Won’t Release Pollard.
on November 26, 2014 5:30 PM
- Wife of Har Nof Terrorist to Lose Residency and Financial Privileges
on November 26, 2014 4:02 PM
- IDF to Stop Persecution of Observant Soldiers With Beards
on November 26, 2014 2:41 PM
- Likud Proposes Multipoint Plan to Fight Arab Terrorism in Israel
on November 26, 2014 12:20 PM
- Kinneret Rises 3.5 Centimeters in Overnight Rain
on November 26, 2014 11:28 AM
- Swiss Philanthropists Rewarding Citizens Who Stop Terror Attacks
on November 26, 2014 11:21 AM
- Released for Publication: Netanel Arami Murdered in Terror Attack
on November 26, 2014 11:13 AM
- Egged Bus Hits 3 Arabs, 1 Dead
on November 26, 2014 10:59 AM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: