It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Hebron Attack Foiled
on July 2, 2015 11:46 PM
- Netanyahu: Israel Faces Double Threat, From ISIS and Iran
on July 2, 2015 11:20 PM
- Israel Prepares for ISIS Escalation: Southern Highway Ordered Closed
on July 2, 2015 11:06 PM
- Jerusalem Arabs Attack Light Rail in Shuafat, Again
on July 2, 2015 8:43 PM
- London’s Neo-Nazi Rally Moved Out of Golders Green
on July 2, 2015 8:24 PM
- Report: Hamas Helped Sinai Terrorists Wage War Against Egypt
on July 2, 2015 7:34 PM
- Confirmed: No Shots, No Wounded at Washington DC Navy Yard
on July 2, 2015 4:59 PM
- Taxpayers Fork Out $90,000 for Police Commissioners’ Farewell Party
on July 2, 2015 1:11 PM
- Netanyahu Mourns ‘Britain’s Schindler’
on July 2, 2015 12:34 PM
- Safed Rabbi Arrested for Alleged Rape
on July 2, 2015 12:29 PM
- Analysis: ISIS Will Go Down to Defeat in Egypt
on July 2, 2015 12:11 PM
- ‘Britain’s Schindler’ Dies at the Age of 106
on July 2, 2015 10:24 AM
- Egypt vs. ISIS: Victory or Death
on July 2, 2015 9:49 AM
- ‘Bookkeeper of Auschwitz’: ‘I can only ask my God for forgiveness’
on July 2, 2015 8:24 AM
- What Sanctions? Iran Receives 13 Tons of Gold From S. Africa
on July 1, 2015 9:41 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: