It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Jews, Arabs Unite to Underline Co-existence in Gush Etzion
on August 2, 2015 8:39 PM
- Israel Energy Use Breaks Record High in Heat Wave
on August 2, 2015 7:33 PM
- Body of Missing Israeli Found in Georgia
on August 2, 2015 7:16 PM
- PM Offers Condolences to Family of 16-yr-old Gay Pride Parade Victim
on August 2, 2015 7:15 PM
- Officials Reconsider Sprouting Wildfires After Terror Victim Memorial Torched
on August 2, 2015 5:35 PM
- Israeli Defense Company Elbit Gears Up for Cyber Arms Race
on August 2, 2015 5:30 PM
- Israeli Citizen Killed in Thailand
on August 2, 2015 4:40 PM
- Netanyahu: Zero Tolerance for Terror ‘Distinguishes Us From Our Neighbors’
on August 2, 2015 4:19 PM
- Chechen Women Con Online ISIS Recruiters
on August 2, 2015 4:00 PM
- Iran Banks on End to Sanctions, Will Raise Oil Production to 1M bpd
on August 2, 2015 3:47 PM
- Gva’ot Woman Hurt in Samaria Rock Attack
on August 2, 2015 3:25 PM
- Holy Land Extremely Hot, but Iran Has It Much Worse
on August 2, 2015 2:49 PM
- Jerusalem Suburb Evacuated as Wildfire Burns Homes
on August 2, 2015 2:34 PM
- Visitors Allowed at Temple Mount Despite Arab Violence
on August 2, 2015 2:15 PM
- Inspired by Israeli Tech and Expertise, the 1st Community-based Emergency Response Program Launched in Jersey City
on August 2, 2015 2:12 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: