It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Eric Cantor Joins Wall Street Investment Bank
on September 2, 2014 4:06 PM
- Poll: Hamas Would Rule Judea and Samaria in New Elections
on September 2, 2014 3:52 PM
- Arab Terrorist Attack Foiled Near Netanya
on September 2, 2014 1:38 PM
- Ehud Olmert’s ‘Talansky Affair’ Re-Opens in Jerusalem District Court
on September 2, 2014 12:58 PM
- Iran Unveils New Self-Defense Radar, Missile System
on September 2, 2014 12:04 PM
- Turkey’s New PM Says ‘No Hope’ of Normalizing Ties with Israel
on September 2, 2014 11:22 AM
- Jihadist Threat Rising on Israel’s Northern Border
on September 2, 2014 9:58 AM
- Germany to Begin Supplying Kurds With Weapons to Fight Islamic State
on September 2, 2014 1:41 AM
- Did You Know September 1 is an Israeli National Holiday?
on September 2, 2014 1:02 AM
- SodaStream May Close Maaleh Adumim Factory
on September 1, 2014 11:41 PM
- Last Soldier Killed in Protective Edge Laid to Rest
on September 1, 2014 11:31 PM
- Arab Rock Throwing Attacks Wounds 3-Year-Old Girl
on September 1, 2014 11:22 PM
- The Real and Radical Legacy of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach
on September 1, 2014 11:05 PM
- Hamas Propaganda Video Compares 9/11 with IDF Bombing of Gaza
on September 1, 2014 9:45 PM
- Israeli Children, Parents On Gaza Border Start New School Year with Mixed Feelings
on September 1, 2014 8:15 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: