It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Jordan, Israel Sign Historic Red Sea-Dead Sea Rescue Deal
on February 27, 2015 4:00 AM
- Obama White House Sends Susan Rice, Samantha Power to AIPAC
on February 27, 2015 3:20 AM
- New York Jury Convicts Saudi Man in 1998 Al Qaeda Attack on US Embassy
on February 27, 2015 12:52 AM
- Netanyahu Will Meet With Bipartisan Senate Leadership Prior to March 3 Speech
on February 27, 2015 12:51 AM
- Meet ‘Jihadi John’
on February 26, 2015 9:14 PM
- Stabbing Attempt in Gush Etzion
on February 26, 2015 7:33 PM
- Germany’s Central Council Of Jews Warns Against Wearing Yarmulkes
on February 26, 2015 4:08 PM
- Poll: One out of Three Americans Thinks Obama Does not Love America
on February 26, 2015 2:30 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Praises Israel for Equality for Minorities
on February 26, 2015 12:52 PM
- Palestinian Authority to Appeal Court Victory over Terror
on February 26, 2015 10:45 AM
- Arsonists Attacks Christian Seminary in Jerusalem
on February 26, 2015 10:41 AM
- Hamas Stops Palestinian Authority Novelist from Going to Casablanca Book Fair
on February 26, 2015 10:07 AM
- Canadian Leaders Rush to Condemn Anti-Semitic Vandalism in Montreal
on February 26, 2015 4:00 AM
- Montreal Hate Crime Probe Starts With Death Threats and Bullets
on February 26, 2015 1:02 AM
- Israel State Comptroller’s Report Details Housing Crisis
on February 25, 2015 11:54 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: