It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Unique 65-Foot Long Entrance Discovered at Herodian Hilltop Palace
on December 18, 2014 3:32 PM
- Sydney Darkens Hanukkah by Banning Chabad Menorah Lighting
on December 18, 2014 2:31 PM
- Israeli-Americans Stranded in Bus Strike
on December 18, 2014 1:47 PM
- Youth Arrested for Threatening Eli Yishai
on December 18, 2014 1:35 PM
- Putin Blames ‘Outside Factors’ for Falling Ruble
on December 18, 2014 1:26 PM
- Hamas Holds Live-Fire Training Hours after EU Takes It off Terror List
on December 18, 2014 1:12 PM
- Alan Gross Credits Jewish Efforts for His Release From Cuba [video]
on December 18, 2014 12:23 PM
- Moshe Feiglin Drops Out of Likud PM Race
on December 18, 2014 11:06 AM
- The Jewish Hipster Party
on December 18, 2014 10:14 AM
- Terror Threat Puts Kabash on Sony’s NYC Film Release
on December 18, 2014 2:30 AM
- Harvard Boycotts SodaStream (Despite Company’s Surrender)
on December 18, 2014 2:16 AM
- Israel’s FM Liberman Declines Swedish Meeting Request Over PA Recognition
on December 18, 2014 1:35 AM
- US Re-Defines ‘Unilateral’ to Justify PA Burying the Oslo Accords
on December 17, 2014 10:16 PM
- ‘Freedom of Speech’ Under Abbas-led Palestinian Authority
on December 17, 2014 8:01 PM
- Alan Gross Freed From Cuban Jail
on December 17, 2014 5:32 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: