It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- As Hamas Threatens Families and Journalists, Who Blew Out the Lights in Gaza?
on July 29, 2014 2:30 PM
- The Battle for Jewish Jerusalem
on July 29, 2014 2:07 PM
- Skyrocketing Global Anti-Semitism Unveils Its Ugly Face
on July 29, 2014 1:20 PM
- Sleepless in Rishon Lezion, IDF Attacks in Gaza Continue
on July 29, 2014 10:39 AM
- Rami Levy Quietly Helping Families of the Fallen
on July 29, 2014 10:12 AM
- 5 IDF Dead in Infiltration, Hamas Tries to Steal Dead Bodies
on July 29, 2014 8:07 AM
- Is the US Furious Over ‘Israeli’ Criticism of Kerry?
on July 29, 2014 7:06 AM
- Netanyahu: War Means War and Not Phony Ceasefires [VIDEO]
on July 29, 2014 3:43 AM
- 2:29am Rocket Alerts in Central Israel
on July 29, 2014 2:39 AM
- IDF Releases Names of 5 Soldiers Killed
on July 29, 2014 1:25 AM
- Bibi: ‘Death From Above, Death From Below’ Will Not Continue
on July 29, 2014 1:09 AM
- Hundreds of Israelis Saved as Terror Infiltration Foiled by IDF
on July 28, 2014 8:07 PM
- Steinitz: Goal of Military Op to Demilitarize Gaza
on July 28, 2014 8:03 PM
- Massive Rocket Barrage Meant There Was ‘No Cease Fire and Never Was’
on July 28, 2014 8:02 PM
- Thaw in Hamas-Egypt Ties?
on July 28, 2014 6:41 PM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: