It was wise for Obama to emphasize who is leaving rather than who is coming into power:
And it is true that military cooperation with Israel is good—which is to say, normal not the greatest in history—but what Israeli leader believes that Obama can be relied on? The ones I speak to usually say something like this: “I never thought I’d see the day when we couldn’t depend on America.”
Incidentally, a number of analyses I’ve seen since writing this article emphasize Obama’s nice sentence about Israel as if it is of great importance or some kind of revelation. It is standard–even though he repeated the word “iron-clad”–and denotes absolutely nothing new. I don’t think Obama will do much in regards to bilateral relations but let’s be frank here: Since Obama believes he knows better what Israel security needs are than do its leaders then anything he does is “pro-Israel” even if it is against Israel’s will. I’m not trying to make any dramatic point here–again, bilateral relations will continue to be okay–but to point out the bizarre way Obama’s statements get interpreted in order to praise him.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Saudi Arabia Opposes Hebrew Names for Jerusalem Gates
on March 27, 2015 10:23 AM
- Senate Warns Obama by 100-0 Vote for Pro-Sanctions Amendment
on March 27, 2015 9:55 AM
- Congressmembers: No More Money for Talks With Iran
on March 27, 2015 6:48 AM
- Mt. Hermon Open and Free for Pesach
on March 27, 2015 1:09 AM
- Israeli Unemployment Dropped in February
on March 27, 2015 12:15 AM
- White House Insists Chaotic Yemen a ‘Model’ for Obama’s War on Terror
on March 26, 2015 6:57 PM
- Abbas Praises Saudi Attack on Rebels in Yemen
on March 26, 2015 5:05 PM
- Bomb Iran, Says John Bolton
on March 26, 2015 4:06 PM
- Bomb Found Near Tomb of the Patriarchs
on March 26, 2015 3:52 PM
- BGU Researchers Found Way To Break Into Off-Internet Computers [video]
on March 26, 2015 3:23 PM
- Germanwings Co-Pilot Intentionally Crashed Plane and Killed Passengers
on March 26, 2015 3:19 PM
- Amnesty Intl Charges ‘Palestinian Armed Groups’ With War Crimes
on March 26, 2015 2:53 PM
- Netanyahu Not Replacing Dermer
on March 26, 2015 11:05 AM
- Newly Elected Arab Knesset Members Visit Abbas in Ramallah
on March 26, 2015 10:39 AM
- French Firm Pulls Out of Jerusalem Cable Car Project after PA Pressure
on March 26, 2015 10:29 AM
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/analysis/rubin-reports/obamas-careful-phrasing-conceals-disasters/2013/02/15/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: