Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
- “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- 4 Women Survive Near Lynch on Mount of Olives
on October 2, 2014 4:36 PM
- Netanyahu-Obama Press Conference, Iran as Subtext [video]
on October 2, 2014 4:00 PM
- Arkansas Shooting Range Declares Itself Muslim-Free Zone’
on October 2, 2014 1:28 PM
- Barkat Says Housing Project in Jerusalem ‘Essential’
on October 2, 2014 10:27 AM
- State Dept. Complains New Homes in Jerusalem ‘Poison’ US Peace Plan
on October 2, 2014 10:08 AM
- Fliers Posted at U. of California Santa Barbara Blame Jews for 9/11
on October 2, 2014 8:31 AM
- Non-Jewish Groups Join Protest against Campus Anti-Semitism
on October 2, 2014 7:53 AM
- Biden’s New NSA Chief Mocked Israeli Nuke Fears
on October 2, 2014 2:30 AM
- PA Demands Nov 2016 Deadline for UN to Force Israeli Surrender
on October 1, 2014 11:37 PM
- Officials Try to Dismiss Arson in Fire of NJ Synagogue Leader’s Car
on October 1, 2014 11:25 PM
- US: Strict Policy Against Civilian Casualties Not for ISIS Attacks
on October 1, 2014 11:18 PM
- Hundreds March Against Murder of Recent Israeli Terror Victim
on October 1, 2014 11:13 PM
- Muslim Teen ‘Wants to Behead Jews’ in Netherlands
on October 1, 2014 9:12 PM
- Netanyahu, Obama Focus on Different Priorities in White House Talk
on October 1, 2014 8:27 PM
- Leak of 2,600 New Homes in Eastern Jerusalem Precedes Obama-Bibi Talks
on October 1, 2014 7:46 PM