Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
– “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Chabad of Dead Sea Works a Miracle for Wedding Blessings Before Shavuot
on May 22, 2015 7:16 PM
- Foreign Minister Hotovely: Tell the World ‘God Gave Israel to the Jews’
on May 22, 2015 4:33 PM
- Egyptian Journalist Poses as Jew and Discovers Ant-Semitism
on May 22, 2015 4:27 PM
- An Israeli Rancher Son’s Story of Land and Survival
on May 22, 2015 2:30 PM
- Neo-Nazis to March on Golders Green, London
on May 22, 2015 1:33 PM
- Obama Trying to Convince Israel to Sign Non-Proliferation Treaty
on May 22, 2015 12:58 PM
- Report: Jews Buy Abandoned Church for New Town near Gush Etzion
on May 22, 2015 12:23 PM
- Doctors Give Netanyahu Good Marks for Health
on May 22, 2015 11:34 AM
- Obama Reaching Out to (Liberal) Jews in Sermon at Synagogue
on May 22, 2015 11:17 AM
- ISIS Captures Most of Syria; Assad Escape Plan Revealed
on May 22, 2015 5:18 AM
- Rivlin Tells Bnei Akiva, ‘We Must Not Let This Happen Again’
on May 21, 2015 10:37 PM
- Most Dutch Muslims View Syrian Jihadists as Heroes, Says Wilders
on May 21, 2015 9:27 PM
- Israel Refuses to Pay $1.1 Billion Swiss Court Award to Iran
on May 21, 2015 8:08 PM
- Liberman Apologizes for Using ‘Autistic’ as an Insult to Describe Netanyahu
on May 21, 2015 7:33 PM
- Liberman Warns Netanyahu Not to Meet Arab Party Head
on May 21, 2015 5:52 PM