Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
– “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.Barry Rubin
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Ted Cruz Drops Out, Trump Supports Settlement Expansion
on May 4, 2016 10:12 AM
- Gaza Gunfire at IDF Troops 2 Days in a Row
on May 4, 2016 9:56 AM
- Update on Soldiers Wounded in Tuesday Night’s Terror Attack
on May 4, 2016 7:26 AM
- Terrorist’s Body Quickly Returned to Family
on May 4, 2016 12:06 AM
- Netanyahu Tells Soldiers Israel is ‘Island of Stability’ in Middle East
on May 3, 2016 10:34 PM
- Gunfire From Gaza Hits IDF Vehicle After Netanyahu’s Visit to Border
on May 3, 2016 10:34 PM
- Israeli Man Sentenced to Life For Burning Arab Teen
on May 3, 2016 10:31 PM
- IDF Vehicle Damaged in Terror Attack Along Northern Gaza Border
on May 3, 2016 10:09 PM
- San Diego State Jewish Students Face Disciplinary Action over Anti-BDS Flyer
on May 3, 2016 9:00 PM
- National Religious Rabbi Appointed Supreme Rabbinical Court Judge While Court Facing Shutdown
on May 3, 2016 8:30 PM
- 3 IDF Soldiers Wounded in Ramming Attack Near Dolev, Terrorist Dead
on May 3, 2016 7:05 PM
- German Traveler to Dubai Finds Himself on Flight to Tel Aviv
on May 3, 2016 3:59 PM
- UK’s Labour Party Secretly Suspended 50 Members Over Anti-Semitism, Racism
on May 3, 2016 3:15 PM
- Pentagon Confirms American Soldier Killed by ISIS in Northern Iraq
on May 3, 2016 2:40 PM
- Two Roman-Era ‘Mummy Paintings’ Stolen By Nazis Returned to Jewish Heirs
on May 3, 2016 2:10 PM