Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
– “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Netanyahu Warns of Increased Iran Aggression in Middle East
on April 19, 2015 12:56 PM
- Haifa Mayor Blocks ‘Polluting Factories’
on April 19, 2015 12:25 PM
- US Consulate Targeted by ISIS in Iraqi Kurdistan
on April 19, 2015 11:19 AM
- Weather Forecast Rains Out BBQ for Yom Ha’Atzmaut
on April 19, 2015 10:47 AM
- New Pilots at Turkish Airlines Urged to ‘Marry’
on April 19, 2015 9:58 AM
- Liberman and Bennett Teaming Up Against Netanyahu
on April 19, 2015 9:49 AM
- Bomb Explodes at UNRWA Headquarters in Gaza
on April 19, 2015 9:18 AM
- Obama’s Creativity: Signing Bonus Substituting for Sanctions Lifting
on April 19, 2015 12:49 AM
- Shira Klein Medical Update
on April 19, 2015 12:30 AM
- Philanthropist and Self-Made Millionaire Taubman Dies at Age 91
on April 19, 2015 12:19 AM
- Putin Warns Israel Against Weapons Sales to Ukraine as it Lifts Ban on S300 Sale to Iran
on April 18, 2015 11:58 PM
- Netanyahu Visits Grave of his Entebbe Hero Brother
on April 18, 2015 11:48 PM
- ISIS Expands To Afghanistan and Kills 35 in Suicide Attack
on April 18, 2015 11:28 PM
- Saudis and Egypt Considering Large Scale Military Exercise
on April 18, 2015 10:04 PM
- Israel Caves in to US and Frees Tax Money for PA without Erasing Debt
on April 18, 2015 9:54 PM