Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
– “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.Barry Rubin
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- NY Cops Stage Traffic Stop So Jewish Guy Can Propose to Girlfriend [video]
on July 30, 2016 11:04 PM
- Assad to Netanyahu: Help Me Keep my Seat and I Guarantee You a Calm Golan
on July 30, 2016 9:43 PM
- Former Georgia Lawmaker Implies Israeli Linked to Nice, Munich Terror
on July 30, 2016 2:36 AM
- Sen. Schumer: Democrats Are on the Cusp of a Golden Era
on July 29, 2016 1:33 PM
- IDF Drafts Secular Recruit as Kashrut Supervisor
on July 29, 2016 10:48 AM
- One Injured in Haifa Drive By Shooting
on July 29, 2016 10:06 AM
- Al-Nusra Front Changes Brand Name, Severs Affiliation with Home Office
on July 29, 2016 9:54 AM
- Pokémon No: Three Israelis Injured Hunting Pokémon This Week
on July 29, 2016 8:23 AM
- Hillary Clinton Warns Trump ‘Not A Man to Trust With Nuclear Weapons’
on July 29, 2016 7:52 AM
- Anti-Semitic Hate Attack Foiled in Connecticut by FBI, Stamford Police
on July 29, 2016 3:53 AM
- French Declare Barghouti ‘Honorary Citizen’ 48 Hours After Catholic Priest ‘Sacrificed’ by ISIS
on July 29, 2016 2:02 AM
- BGI Airport’s Terminal 3 Evacuated After Little Boy Cries ‘Terrorist!’
on July 28, 2016 11:51 PM
- Ukraine Jews Come ‘Home’ Helped By Israel & IFCJ
on July 28, 2016 11:11 PM
- In ‘Noble Shirley 2016’ US Military Got Tips From IDF on Fighting Radical Islamic Terror
on July 28, 2016 10:28 PM
- Sderot Homes Reinforced Against Rocket Attacks from Gaza
on July 28, 2016 9:14 PM