Latest update: May 31st, 2012
“President Obama will push for the departure of President Bashar al-Assad under a plan that calls for a negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place. The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal. Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
–“A negotiated political settlement that…could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The Syrian dictatorship is led by murderous thugs who know this is a case of kill or be killed. They aren’t going to give up any of their power. And why should they since they think they’re winning and may well be right. They know the outside world won’t do anything, despite the regime having killed around 10,000 civilians.
–“A negotiated political settlement that would satisfy Syrian opposition groups but that could leave remnants of Assad’s government in place.”
The opposition is not so foolish as a Washington pundit, policymaker, or politician. They know that their only hope is to destroy the regime entirely. The democrats want to do so in order to have a modern democracy. The Islamists want Islamism. The Kurds and Druze want autonomy. How could there possibly be a coalition? Both sides know that within days people would be murdering each other. How could anyone expect this kind of deal would work or that the opposition would accept it?
If anyone in Syria might favor such a plan it’s the Muslim Brotherhood, which has toyed with the idea of using such a transition period to strengthen its own hand. So the idea cannot succeed but reveals once again that the Obama Administration seems to get many of its strategies from the Muslim Brotherhood. That’s an observation, not a conspiracy theory.
– “The success of the plan hinges on Russia, one of Assad’s staunchest allies, which has strongly opposed his removal.”
Just think about that sentence! The Obama Administration wants to depend on a country that’s disdainful of U.S. interests, wants to sabotage them, and is on the opposite side! The president wants to ask a country that is “strongly opposed” Assad’s removal to remove Assad!
And finally, equally amazingly:
- “Obama, administration officials said, will press the proposal with President Putin of Russia at their meeting next month. Obama’s national security adviser raised the plan with Putin in Moscow three weeks ago.”
It’s Obama, not Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who is pushing this plan to put Russia in control! If your enemy tries to fool or cheat you, that’s a problem. If you beg him to cheat you and hand him the means to do so, that’s a betrayal of U.S. interests.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
- German Court: Nazi War Criminal Unfit for Trial
on December 9, 2013 10:16 AM
- Days after Reward Offer, New Brooklyn Knockout Attack Reported
on December 9, 2013 10:12 AM
- 13th Anniversary of Binyamin Ze’ev Kahane’s Murder
on December 9, 2013 8:22 AM
- Students Angered by Hillel’s Pro-Israel Standards
on December 9, 2013 8:11 AM
- Israeli Developer of Swallowable Camera Bought for $860 Million
on December 9, 2013 12:30 AM
- Truth and Evil Dance on Mandela’s Grave
on December 9, 2013 12:05 AM
- Bennett Urges Annexing Major Jewish Centers in Judea and Samaria
on December 8, 2013 8:06 PM
- Murderers Released for Peace Talks Have ‘No Regrets” for Killing
on December 8, 2013 7:37 PM
- Lower East Side Synagogue Members Suing Leadership over Real Estate
on December 8, 2013 7:25 PM
- Bibi Shoots Back: Diplomatic Solution Needs Military Threat (Video)
on December 8, 2013 6:50 PM
- Alan Gross Meets with Cuban Jewish Leaders
on December 8, 2013 5:08 PM
- WOW Blame Jewish Press, Bloggers, for Graffiti
on December 8, 2013 2:52 PM
- Cost of Lapid’s Housing Plan Estimated to Be Bigger than His Ego
on December 8, 2013 2:33 PM
- Highway Work Uncovers 900-Year-0ld Fountain in Garden
on December 8, 2013 2:10 PM
- Mobile Phone Rate-Buster Kachlon to Form New Party
on December 8, 2013 1:44 PM