Another issue that is being mishandled is that of Syria’s Kurds. The easiest thing the West could do would be to help Syria’s Kurds who just want autonomy, not to be subject to the current directorship, radical Arab nationalists, or Islamists. This would make the Kurds of Iraq, American allies, very happy. But Obama won’t do that because it would make Islamist-ruled Turkey, an enemy of America that President Barack Obama loves more than any other country in the region, very unhappy and so probably won’t happen.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Tzohar Provides ‘Power to the People’ and Their IDF Soldiers
on July 28, 2014 2:06 PM
- Israeli Cabinet Cowed Back Into ‘Tit-for-Tat’ by Obama?
on July 28, 2014 1:04 PM
- Swastikas Spray-Painted in Lehavim
on July 28, 2014 12:23 PM
- IDF Soldier Wounded By Hamas Artillery During Cease Fire
on July 28, 2014 12:09 PM
- Current Status Report
on July 28, 2014 12:08 PM
- Ambassador Michael Oren Warns Obama is Legitimizing Hamas
on July 28, 2014 11:32 AM
- Elkin: Last Time We Listened to the US, Hamas Took Over
on July 28, 2014 11:01 AM
- Day 21 of Operation’ Protective Edge’ – “Israel is in Possession of all of the Attack Tunnels”
on July 28, 2014 9:30 AM
- IDF Retaliates for Ashkelon’s Morning Rocket Fire
on July 28, 2014 9:12 AM
- Rosh Chodesh Av: Global Shema for Israel’s Success and Protection of Our IDF
on July 28, 2014 6:57 AM
- UN Security Council Demands Gaza Cease Fire
on July 28, 2014 6:00 AM
- Investigation: IDF Rejects Claim it Killed 16 Gazans in UNRWA School [video]
on July 28, 2014 12:45 AM
- Weekend Update: Anti-Israel Riots Around Europe
on July 28, 2014 12:38 AM
- Palestinians Looking for UN Downgrade?
on July 27, 2014 11:06 PM
- UN Official: Criticism of Israel ‘a bit much’
on July 27, 2014 10:12 PM