Another issue that is being mishandled is that of Syria’s Kurds. The easiest thing the West could do would be to help Syria’s Kurds who just want autonomy, not to be subject to the current directorship, radical Arab nationalists, or Islamists. This would make the Kurds of Iraq, American allies, very happy. But Obama won’t do that because it would make Islamist-ruled Turkey, an enemy of America that President Barack Obama loves more than any other country in the region, very unhappy and so probably won’t happen.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Germany to Begin Supplying Kurds With Weapons to Fight Islamic State
on September 2, 2014 1:41 AM
- Did You Know September 1 is an Israeli National Holiday?
on September 2, 2014 1:02 AM
- SodaStream May Close Maaleh Adumim Factory
on September 1, 2014 11:41 PM
- Last Soldier Killed in Protective Edge Laid to Rest
on September 1, 2014 11:31 PM
- Arab Rock Throwing Attacks Wounds 3-Year-Old Girl
on September 1, 2014 11:22 PM
- The Real and Radical Legacy of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach
on September 1, 2014 11:05 PM
- Hamas Propaganda Video Compares 9/11 with IDF Bombing of Gaza
on September 1, 2014 9:45 PM
- Israeli Children, Parents On Gaza Border Start New School Year with Mixed Feelings
on September 1, 2014 8:15 PM
- Monday Review: Intense Fighting Causes More Spillover Along Israel’s Border
on September 1, 2014 7:32 PM
- Israel’s Economy: Stunned But Still Strong
on September 1, 2014 7:27 PM
- UN Commander Says ‘Raise the White Flag’ as Syrian Rebels Take UN Peacekeepers Hostage, Attack Others
on September 1, 2014 6:33 PM
- Gasoline Prices Dropped at Midnight
on September 1, 2014 5:38 PM
- Gaza Belt Communities Fear Lack of Security, IDF Pullout
on September 1, 2014 4:33 PM
- Arab Rock Attacks on Israeli Drivers in Jerusalem, Gush Etzion
on September 1, 2014 3:57 PM
- Bennett Praises Govt Decision on Gush Etzion in Visit to Yeshiva Mekor Chaim
on September 1, 2014 3:15 PM