Another issue that is being mishandled is that of Syria’s Kurds. The easiest thing the West could do would be to help Syria’s Kurds who just want autonomy, not to be subject to the current directorship, radical Arab nationalists, or Islamists. This would make the Kurds of Iraq, American allies, very happy. But Obama won’t do that because it would make Islamist-ruled Turkey, an enemy of America that President Barack Obama loves more than any other country in the region, very unhappy and so probably won’t happen.
About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
- Former US enoy Laments Israel-US Tensions, Blames Gaza War
on August 27, 2014 12:46 PM
- Baby Hurt in Stone Attack
on August 27, 2014 12:44 PM
- Mortar Fire in Golan Heights ‘Due to Syrian War’
on August 27, 2014 11:35 AM
- Zara Fashion Botches “Toddler T” Style with Holocaust Imagery
on August 27, 2014 11:27 AM
- Mixed Reactions Among Leaders in Southern Israel to Ceasefire
on August 27, 2014 10:19 AM
- Kibbutz Nirim Mortar Victims Identified
on August 27, 2014 9:19 AM
- Pro-Israel NGO Calls on US to Reject UN Gaza Commission
on August 27, 2014 8:16 AM
- Cease-fire Terms: Even U.S. Sounds Dubious, and No Mention of ’2 State Solution’
on August 27, 2014 4:05 AM
- Hamas: “Our War is to Liberate Jerusalem, Not for Lifting Blockade”
on August 26, 2014 11:53 PM
- Second Person has Died from Tuesday’s Attack on Eshkol
on August 26, 2014 11:48 PM
- Rocket Stats for Operation Protective Edge
on August 26, 2014 11:38 PM
- Missing Yeshiva Student’s Parents Plead for Public’s Help in Search
on August 26, 2014 11:30 PM
- Israeli Public Helps Save IDF Soldier Fighting for his Life
on August 26, 2014 10:22 PM
- Netanyahu’s Cease-Fire Agreement Leads the Country into Confusion
on August 26, 2014 10:07 PM
- Updated: Suspected Terrorist Infiltration into Karnei Shomron
on August 26, 2014 9:52 PM