August 2, 2015 / 17 Av, 5775

Why I’ve Always Written So Much With Such Intensity And Why I Won’t Stop Now

Barry Rubin

Barry Rubin

We have to judge ourselves by whether we’ve lived up to our ideals and done our best. Not by the accumulation of power, wealth or fame; not for failing to achieve the impossible.

A famous Jewish story about that is the tale of Rabbi Zosia who said that he did not expect God to berate him for not having been Moses—who he wasn’t—but for not having been Zosia.

To me, that means we must do the best to be ourselves while trying to make ourselves as good as possible. I’ve really tried to do that. I don’t have big regrets, nor bitterness, nor would I have done things very differently.

And I’ve discovered the brave community of those who are supporting and encouraging each other in the battle against this disease.

Finally, I find myself identifying with a poem by a Turkish writer named Ilhami Bekir that goes like this:

“Neither vineyards, nor gardens

Do I ask.

Nor horses, nor sheep.

Don’t take my soul away,

O God!

I am curious.

I must see how this game ends!”

The game, of course, doesn’t end and I don’t expect to live to see utopia realized. But it would be nice to live long enough to see America and the world pass out from this current dreadful era, to see some restoration of sanity and reality, some kind of victory for goodness, some kind of restoration of intellectual standards, and a higher level of justice.

Some friends tell me they think we’ve turned the corner and that there’s real hope of beating the terrible forces that have messed up our societies and insulted our intelligence and tried to sully our reputations.

That’s something worth living for and fighting for. I hope to do it with you people as long as possible.

About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.

9 Responses to “Why I’ve Always Written So Much With Such Intensity And Why I Won’t Stop Now”

1. Hersh Starck says:

Hashem Yirachem and a refuah shleima.

A suggestion: If you are not already doing it, please consider studying Daf Yomi. I think it is no coincidence that this dreadful diagnosis was revealed at the turn of the new cycle.

In two months you can complete the entire Masechet Brachos. Another 5 months will give you Masechet Shabbos. Chap -a -rein! Torah is life and if you are "greedy" enough, we will definitely see you on a "completers" podium at the completion of this cycle in another 7 1/2 years, IY"H.

2. Good rule to live our lives by: "We have to judge ourselves by whether we’ve lived up to our ideals and done our best."

3. Janet Clare says:

I'm out here too, and I read and appreciate you, Barry. May HaShem give you an immediate and complete recovery, via the Moshiach even, b"H, so we can all get in on it. : )

4. Bill Bilek says:

Your writings have been an inspiration to me, and many that I work with (we met at the SPME Conference last year). It is our fervent hope that Hashem intercedes and gives you refuah shlema, and many more years to do His work, your work, our work, in support of the miracle that is our Jewish State.

5. Ruth Hirt says:

How sad, we are vulnerable to ailment and life's vicissitudes. May Adonai touch your body to restore wholeness to you. The gifts HE imbued you with, worked their way through your readers. May HE grant you refuah shleima.

6. Ruth Hirt says:

7. Ruth Hirt says:

8. Ruth Hirt says:

Barry Rubin, an uncompromising writer, journalist.

9. Ruth Hirt says:

Thank G_d, the Jehovah Rapha, He touched Barry Rubin, HE made him overcome.

Jewish and Muslim bless a crowd of hundreds at a special prayer rally at Gush Etzion junction.
Jews, Arabs Unite to Underline Co-existence in Gush Etzion
lahore

I sought a Muslim group that claims to preach a peaceful and accepting posture of Islam, Ahmadiyya

Eishet Chayil

While Orthodox men are encouraged to achieve and celebrated for it, Orthodox women too often are not

Jonathan Pollard.

Jonathan remember, as long as you’re denied your right to come home to Israel you’re still in prison

Inside of the home burned in the Prce Tag attack in the village of Duma.

Reports of a dead baby, a devastated family, and indications of a gloating attacker.

“Yesha” and Binyamin Regional Council leaders said the attack “is not the path of Jews in Judea and Samaria.”

The occasion? The rarely performed mitzvah of pidyon peter chamor: Redemption of a firstborn donkey.

American leftists have a pathological self-inflicted blindness to the dangers of political Islam

Hillary should THANK Trump; By dominating the news he’s overshadowed the implosion of her campaign

Hard to remember when Jewish youth were so hostile to their heritage as they are on campuses today.

Names of the enablers of Iran’s Nuclear weapons will be added next to Hitler’s on the list of infamy

By most accounts, the one person with the political muscle to swing enough Democratic votes to override a veto is Sen. Schumer.

The next day, in a speech in New York to the Council on Foreign Relations, Mr. Kerry substantially upped the ante.

In Israel, the judiciary has established itself as superior to ALL other branches of the government.

The Fifteenth Day of the month of Av became a day of national rejoicing. The moment that had seemed hopeless became the moment of Redemption.