September 3, 2014 / 8 Elul, 5774
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

Why I’ve Always Written So Much With Such Intensity And Why I Won’t Stop Now

Barry Rubin

Barry Rubin

We have to judge ourselves by whether we’ve lived up to our ideals and done our best. Not by the accumulation of power, wealth or fame; not for failing to achieve the impossible.

A famous Jewish story about that is the tale of Rabbi Zosia who said that he did not expect God to berate him for not having been Moses—who he wasn’t—but for not having been Zosia.

To me, that means we must do the best to be ourselves while trying to make ourselves as good as possible. I’ve really tried to do that. I don’t have big regrets, nor bitterness, nor would I have done things very differently.

And I’ve discovered the brave community of those who are supporting and encouraging each other in the battle against this disease.

Finally, I find myself identifying with a poem by a Turkish writer named Ilhami Bekir that goes like this:

“Neither vineyards, nor gardens

Do I ask.

Nor horses, nor sheep.

Don’t take my soul away,

O God!

I am curious.

I must see how this game ends!”

The game, of course, doesn’t end and I don’t expect to live to see utopia realized. But it would be nice to live long enough to see America and the world pass out from this current dreadful era, to see some restoration of sanity and reality, some kind of victory for goodness, some kind of restoration of intellectual standards, and a higher level of justice.

Some friends tell me they think we’ve turned the corner and that there’s real hope of beating the terrible forces that have messed up our societies and insulted our intelligence and tried to sully our reputations.

That’s something worth living for and fighting for. I hope to do it with you people as long as possible.

About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.

9 Responses to “Why I’ve Always Written So Much With Such Intensity And Why I Won’t Stop Now”

1. Hersh Starck says:

Hashem Yirachem and a refuah shleima.

A suggestion: If you are not already doing it, please consider studying Daf Yomi. I think it is no coincidence that this dreadful diagnosis was revealed at the turn of the new cycle.

In two months you can complete the entire Masechet Brachos. Another 5 months will give you Masechet Shabbos. Chap -a -rein! Torah is life and if you are "greedy" enough, we will definitely see you on a "completers" podium at the completion of this cycle in another 7 1/2 years, IY"H.

2. Good rule to live our lives by: "We have to judge ourselves by whether we’ve lived up to our ideals and done our best."

3. Janet Clare says:

I'm out here too, and I read and appreciate you, Barry. May HaShem give you an immediate and complete recovery, via the Moshiach even, b"H, so we can all get in on it. : )

4. Bill Bilek says:

Your writings have been an inspiration to me, and many that I work with (we met at the SPME Conference last year). It is our fervent hope that Hashem intercedes and gives you refuah shlema, and many more years to do His work, your work, our work, in support of the miracle that is our Jewish State.

5. Ruth Hirt says:

How sad, we are vulnerable to ailment and life's vicissitudes. May Adonai touch your body to restore wholeness to you. The gifts HE imbued you with, worked their way through your readers. May HE grant you refuah shleima.

6. Ruth Hirt says:

7. Ruth Hirt says:

8. Ruth Hirt says:

Barry Rubin, an uncompromising writer, journalist.

9. Ruth Hirt says:

Thank G_d, the Jehovah Rapha, He touched Barry Rubin, HE made him overcome.

Hamas's leader in Gaza, Ismail Haniyeh (in blue shirt, center), benefitted politically - and in a dramatic fashion - from this summer's war.  Photo from Hamas victory rally, Aug. 27, 2014.
Gazan Deaths and Destruction Dramatically Drives Popularity for Hamas
1347905461_5613_Mideast_Israel_Palestinians_Rosh_Hashana_05475

“these soldiers are on the front lines of a war that the entire world is fighting”

yesha1

Hayovel’s vision: to share with them (Jews) a passion for the soon coming jubilee in yeshua messiah.”

Tibets spiritual leader Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lama: In the interest of Tibetans today to have peaceful co-existence with the Chinese.

Hamas Quote on Death

However, 40+ countries still use capital punishment for a variety of offenses.

The War projects to lower Israel’s 2014 GDP 0.5% but will have little influence on foreign investors

It is in the nature of the Nations of the World to be hostile towards the Jewish People.

Hamas and Islamic Jihad are actually fighting to “liberate Jerusalem and all Palestine.”

The bad news is that ISIS and Al Qaeda are on the Syrian Golan. The good news is that every terrorist in Syria is killing each other.

The congregants, Ethiopians spanning generations, were beaming with joy and pride.

The withdrawal from the Gaza Strip nine years ago did not enhance Israel’s security.

How does a soldier from a religious home fall in love with a soldier from a non- religious kibbutz?

In 19th century entire ancient Jewish communities fled Palestine to escape brutal Muslim authorities

Responsibility lies with both the UN and Hamas, and better commitments should have been demanded from both parties in the ceasefire.

But the world is forever challenging our Jewish principle and our practices.

If this is how we play the game, we will lose. By that I mean we will lose everything.