August 3, 2015 / 18 Av, 5775

It’s a Good Thing She’s in the Knesset

Arab MK Haneen Zoabi (Balad) doesn’t allow us to flee from ourselves. She holds an intelligent, scathing and vital mirror to our faces.

MK Haneen Zoabi being ejected from the Knesset Floor in July 2011. She flew into an uncontrollable rage while the Prime Minister was speaking.

Photo Credit: Omer Miron/Flash90

“I pledge my allegiance,” Arab MK Haneen Zoabi (Balad) scornfully spit out at the Knesset inauguration ceremony. She gathered her belongings and demonstratively exited the plenum.

At that moment, I was reminded of a different Arab woman. That woman sat next to me, not in the Knesset but in the Schneider Children’s Hospital in Petach Tikva. I sat in the hospital room, next to my unconscious son. She entered at night, in traditional dress; perhaps she was from Gaza. She was accompanied by a fifty-something Israeli woman. She looked like she had just come to the hospital from an ivory tower.

The Israeli woman ran to and fro for the Arab, serving her as best she could. She filled out forms, made sure she was comfortable, brought her a chair, a cup of water. This went on and on, into the night. Not once did I hear the Arab say “thank you” or anything similar. On the contrary, she projected hostility. The more the Israeli served her, the more the Arab hated her.

In the morning, I concluded that she was right.

“What do you think?” the Arab woman accuses the Israeli in her heart. “That you can steal my land and afterwards bring me a cup of water and everything will be fine? You are on my land, Mrs. Wealthy. This is my land, this is my place, this is my hospital. You occupied me and now you expect me to thank you for helping me fill out forms in your language?”

The educated Israeli woman is intelligent and very moral. She is bursting with guilt feelings. The Arab doesn’t have to say a thing. The Israeli woman already knows that she is nothing more than a guest here, that the salt of the earth, the bedrock foundation of this land, is the Arab. She tries to appease her, to merit just a drop of legitimacy from the owner of the stolen house.

Somebody made a mistake one or two generations ago. Instead of assimilating into Europe, they were enchanted by a foolish idea and came to Israel for a complicated adventure of identity exchange. They came to find a place for the Jews under the sun in the land of their forefathers – under a new identity. The exile Jew fled to Israel – justifiably – from the religion of the exile. He tried to establish a new nation instead of the Jewish nation. He attempted to establish the Zionist nation, Israeli instead of Jewish.

The new Jew needs the Arab to adopt the Israeli identity that he invented. For if only a Jew can be an Israeli, we have accomplished nothing at all and will still remain alone with our Jewish identity. We have not found a place among the nations, but a place separated from the nations – precisely the exile condition from which we attempted to flee. Zoabi understood that the Israeli needs the Arab to help him forget that he is a Jew. “True, I broke the law,” Zoabi once insinuated at the High Court. “Let’s see you stop me from running for the Knesset. My entire party will drop out of the race and we won’t be there to hide your Jewish identity for you.”

I thought of Jonathan Pollard, whose life is slipping away from him in an American prison. I thought of him and his Jewish judges. I thought of the American Jews who bent over backwards to prove their loyalty to America. There, the Jews are hostages of their hosts. Here, in Israel, the Israelis are hostages of their guests. Of course it all depends upon to whom this land belongs. Those who feel like guests live on borrowed time; they always have to please the hosts.

It’s a good thing that Haneen Zoabi is in the Knesset. Her colleagues still suffer from a type of correctness toward the occupiers. They wait for the national anthem to be sung before leaving the plenum. As if all we have to do is let them skip the anthem and bring them a cup of water and the problem will be solved. But Zoabi isn’t playing around. She doesn’t allow us to flee from ourselves. She holds an intelligent, scathing and vital mirror to our faces. It is a mirror that constantly reminds us that we cannot exist in Israel for long without our Jewish identity.

About the Author: Moshe Feiglin is the former Deputy Speaker of the Knesset. He is the founder of Manhigut Yehudit and Zo Artzeinu and the author of two books: "Where There Are No Men" and "War of Dreams." Feiglin served in the IDF as an officer in Combat Engineering and is a veteran of the Lebanon War. He lives in Ginot Shomron with his family.

8 Responses to “It’s a Good Thing She’s in the Knesset”

1. Charlie Hall says:

"I thought of him and his Jewish judges."

The late Aubrey E. Robinson Jr., who sentenced Pollard to life in prison (with possibility of parole) was an African-American judge. I don't think he was Jewish.

" the Jews are hostages of their hosts."

To the contrary, Jews are full US citizens and have been in America longer than most American ethnic groups, so in many respects the Jews are among the "hosts".

2. Jacob Alperin-Sheriff says:

What do you expect from Moshe Faygeleh (he certainly "became gay" by the Standard of the Salami Rov (Yehuda Levin) based on his meeting with the activists so I'm totes cool with using that term for him)?

3. Jacob Alperin-Sheriff says:

I'm going to state with confidence that Obama is more than willing to release Pollard to you personally, on condition that the hand-off of Pollard is done to you and you only… in the United Kingdom.

4. Leah Urso says:

Then why are Jews statistically the most persecuted ethnic group in America?

5. Leah Urso says:

Correction: I should have said "rigorous group", not ethnic group. For example, in 2011, 62% of anti-religios hate crimes were directed tow

6. Leah Urso says:

I should have said religious group, not ethnic group. In 2011 , 62% of all anti religious hate crimes in the USA were perpetrated on Jews.

7. Leah Urso says:

8. Charlie Hall says:

"why are Jews statistically the most persecuted ethnic group in America?"

Because we aren't. There are far more hate crimes against blacks:

It's a deal
New Poll: Americans Oppose Iran Deal 2 – 1
Graffiti at Duma home that was torched in Samara.

Some Israelis seem to have forgotten no one has yet tracked down the murderers of Ali Bawabsheh.

On-The-Bookshelf-logo

Aside from my own 485-page tome on the subject, Red Army, I think Jamie Glazov did an excellent job at framing things in United in Hate: The Left’s Romance with Tyranny and Terror.

Saltsman-073115

“Isn’t it enough that the whole world hates us? WHy do we have to hate each other?”

"Pistachios in our Time!"
US Secy of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif shake hands.

Who said Kerry won no concessions from Iran? He secured pistachios and Beluga caviar for America!

In 2015, Israel’s fertility rate (3+ births per woman) is higher than all Arab countries except 3

The New Israel Fund, as usual, condemns the State of Israel rather than condemning a horrible act.

I sought a Muslim group that claims to preach a peaceful and accepting posture of Islam, Ahmadiyya

While Orthodox men are encouraged to achieve and celebrated for it, Orthodox women too often are not

Jonathan remember, as long as you’re denied your right to come home to Israel you’re still in prison

Reports of a dead baby, a devastated family, and indications of a gloating attacker.

“The fear of being exposed publicly is the only thing that will stop people,” observed Seewald.

“Yesha” and Binyamin Regional Council leaders said the attack “is not the path of Jews in Judea and Samaria.”

The occasion? The rarely performed mitzvah of pidyon peter chamor: Redemption of a firstborn donkey.

American leftists have a pathological self-inflicted blindness to the dangers of political Islam

Hillary should THANK Trump; By dominating the news he’s overshadowed the implosion of her campaign

Hard to remember when Jewish youth were so hostile to their heritage as they are on campuses today.

More Articles from Moshe Feiglin
MK Moshe-Feiglin

Bibi failed the moment he transferred Israel’s Iran problem to the international arena.

MK Moshe-Feiglin

Why didn’t Israel bomb Iran a decade ago? Operationally&diplomatically it would’ve been much simpler

Eventually there will be worldwide Greece-style bank closures; Israel will be less hurt -it’s not EU

Israelis, get used to the fact soon we’ll have to live in the shadow of a nuclear Iran and Hizballah

Oslo dictated that the ONLY value for which Israel could still fight is the value of self defense.

What is the best and most protective “Iron Dome”? The justice of our cause that, “This is our Land!”

Israel’s education budget is larger than for defense; higher % than that of almost all OECD nations

20 years after the great Ethiopian aliyah, we must treat them like everyone else; no better or worse

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/columns/moshe-feiglin/its-a-good-thing-shes-in-the-knesset/2013/02/27/