July 30, 2014 / 3 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge

IDC Advocacy Room IDC Fights War on Another Front

Student Union opens ‘hasbara’ room in effort to fill public diplomacy vacuum.

David-Storobin-010612

Well, here’s who I am. I was raised by a single mother who worked for $5 or $6 an hour. I went to college and law school and started my own business. When I started my own law firm, I really had nothing. I had to max out my credit card just to start.

In addition, I’ve always been involved in all sorts of organizations. For example, I’m on the New York board of directors of the American Jewish Committee. I participate in the Russian Jewish American Experience, which is a major organization in Brighton Beach. I also started a Jewish club in my law school and built it up to be the biggest club in the school when I was there.

I’ve also written all sorts of articles and have been on TV and radio arguing for Israel and the Jewish community. That’s just a brief list of things.

As someone who came to America from the Soviet Union at age 12, do you believe you have an advantage in this election, considering the large Russian Jewish community in the 27th district?

Yes, there is an advantage, but everyone has to obviously lock up every major community.

The Russian Jewish community, in other words, is tight-knit and will vote for one of its own.

Well, it really depends on the person. Everyone – whether he’s Republican, Democrat, Russian, Italian, etc. – is going to be his own person.

But a lot of people are proud that the community is starting to grow in terms of being able to succeed in the United States. Coming here at the fall of the Soviet Union, everyone was very, very poor because whatever money you even had got wiped out because of inflation and the collapse of the Soviet Union. So everyone started out with zero, or just about zero, and people are very proud of the fact that finally the community can break out and join the middle class. [If I get elected], this would obviously be another step towards joining the middle class and becoming normal Americans.

How many people are there in the 27th district, and what percentage of them are Russian and Orthodox Jews?

There are about 325,000 people in the district. We believe about a quarter of them are Russian Jews and another quarter are observant Jews.

With the federal government involved in more and more aspects of our lives, some people ignore local elections, thinking they don’t matter much. Why should the average person care about this special election?

The federal government has the more glamorous issues that make their way onto CNN and Fox News. But if you look at the issues that play a role in real people’s lives, a lot of them are dealt with on a local level. Albany has a nearly $70 billion budget and passes all sorts of laws related to almost everything that affects your life – education, funding for schools and nonprofits, gay marriage, etc.

You have to have somebody who is fighting for you in Albany because at the end of the day a politician either sides or doesn’t side with you. And that’s what this election will come down to. Lew Fidler does not side with our district. His ideology is not the ideology of the dominant majority of this district.

About the Author: Elliot Resnick is a Jewish Press staff reporter and author of “Movers and Shakers: Sixty Prominent Personalities Speak Their Mind on Tape” (Brenn Books).

Please use the Facebook Tab below to leave your comment:

9 Responses to “‘I Will Absolutely Fight For You’: An Interview With Would-Be State Senate Candidate David Storobin”

1. Jim says:

I plan on supporting the Republican candidate for disgraced Senator Carl Kruger’s seat. Mr. Storobin seems like a good, honest person in-sync with the values of the communities of this Senate District. I hope the Jewish Press joins me in supporting David Storobin for State Senate.

2. Moshe says:

Mr. Storobin flubbed Albanys $135 billion budget by calling it an “almost 70 billion” budget. Such a simple fact. A would be senator would know. Not ready for prime time, perhaps!

3. Alex P says:

Finally a great candidate! I have seen David speak multiple times on Russian Television. He is quite impressive and very knowledgeable. As a Russian Jew and with many friends in the Jewish community I can safely say this is exactly who we need. Hope he makes it!

4. Marina says:

David Storobin is finally a worthy candidate to represent the district. I will definitely support David in the race for the Senate! I hope the district joins me in his support. I wish him luck.

5. Yehuda says:

I’m excited to support David Storobin for State Senate and the Republicans expand their majority!
    The NYS Senate Majority Leader, Dean Skelos, has been a great friend of the Jewish community and of Jewish causes. It would only be appreciative of us that we as a community show our support for the Republican candidate.

6. Yehuda says:

Give me a break Moshe. Because Mr. Storobin got mixed up between the NYC budget and NYS budget you deem it a flub? People make mistakes and can get confused.

Moshe, you must really be none other than Lew Fidler commenting. I can see why. You are running scared in a district that John Mccain won overwhelmingly and you and Mike Gianaris whole-heartily supported the corrupt Carl Kruger.

BTW, when are you planning to run the ads that tout the 15 Million you helped deliver exclusively to LGBT community?

7. Theo says:

Storobin has been getting a lot of grassroots press lately and I get the sense that he understands the local needs of the community and will be able to leverage his position as part of the majority to help that community.

In addition clearly there is an issue with Democrats in local office, the temptation to take advantage of the situation for their own needs seem to be to much for them. I think the Republican ticket is the way to go and it seems likely that Storobin is the preferred candidate.

8. Michael says:

Go, David!
    I will vote for you as well as all my friends.
    It’s time for the true Republican from Russian-Jewish
    Community to become State Senator.

9. Izzy says:

Anyone who votes for Lew Fidler is aiding a crook! Fidler still has not returned some $88,550 that he got back in his 2009 campaign, though he ended up winning with 81% of the vote. PLEASE go to Daily News Editorials, Nov. 8, 2009, “Fidler on the hook,” & Sept. 11, 2010, “Stop the money grabs.” . To quote the 2010 Editorial:”‘The worst of the bunch was Brooklyn Democratic Councilman Lew Fidler….Tell grabbers like Fidler to get lost.”

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
U.S. President Barack Obama escorts Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu out of the Oval Office
Pirated Phone Conversation of Obama Slamming Bibi from Unverified Source
Young children 'recruited' by the Al Qaeda-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and al-Shams (ISIS) terrorist group for a Shari'a jihadist army in Iraq and Syria.

ISIS poses a great threat to the entire civilized world in general and liberal democracies in particular.

kerry clown

Kerry is preoccupied with pressuring Israel, notwithstanding the transformation of the Arab Spring .

journalism

With no shortage of leftist media that seek to distort the news, what should our Torah response be?

Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett

Because let’s face it: Hamas obviously can’t defeat the IDF in the field, soldier against soldier

As Peres retires, Israel fights sour legacy: Insistence on setting policy in line with hopes, rather than with reality.

Our capital was not arbitrarily chosen, as capitals of some other nations were.

UNHRC High Commissioner Navi Pillay accuses the IDF of possible war crimes in Gaza again, cutting slack to Hamas.

People test Israel every day to see how serious we really are in knowing when we are right.

Should Jews in Europe take more responsibility in self-defense of community and property?

It is time for a total military siege on Gaza; Nothing should enter the Gaza Strip.

Germany’s The Jewish Faith newspaper ominously noted, “We Jews are in for a war after the war.”

The truth is we seldom explore with kids what prayer is supposed to be about.

Almost as one, Jews around the world are acknowledging the day-to-day peril facing ordinary Jews in Israel and the extraordinary service of the IDF in protecting them.

More Articles from Elliot Resnick
Rabbi Berel Wein

King Solomon said it long ago: “Cast your bread upon the waters” because you don’t know when you’ll hit something. Our job is to do.

Allen Fagin

Formerly an attorney at the prestigious law firm Proskauer Rose for 40 years – six of those years as its chairman – Fagin holds degrees from both Columbia and Harvard Universities. He retired in 2013 to devote more time to the Jewish community.

The message is that Zionism, which used to be great, is today very institutionalized and [consists of a] bunch of people who are just squabbling over titles and budgets.

For Steinsaltz, the Rebbe was no less than “the greatest man I have ever met,” as he writes in the preface to his book.

If a child is seldom required to yield his desires and needs to those of others, surely doing so as an adult will not come naturally to him.

Wherever I was invited around the world, I always met with people and let them know that I wanted to hear great stories.

Do you think the FAA ban on US flights to Israel is political?

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/i-will-absolutely-fight-for-you-an-interview-with-would-be-state-senate-candidate-david-storobin/2012/01/04/