July 30, 2015 / 14 Av, 5775

David-Storobin-010612

Well, here’s who I am. I was raised by a single mother who worked for $5 or $6 an hour. I went to college and law school and started my own business. When I started my own law firm, I really had nothing. I had to max out my credit card just to start.

In addition, I’ve always been involved in all sorts of organizations. For example, I’m on the New York board of directors of the American Jewish Committee. I participate in the Russian Jewish American Experience, which is a major organization in Brighton Beach. I also started a Jewish club in my law school and built it up to be the biggest club in the school when I was there.

I’ve also written all sorts of articles and have been on TV and radio arguing for Israel and the Jewish community. That’s just a brief list of things.

As someone who came to America from the Soviet Union at age 12, do you believe you have an advantage in this election, considering the large Russian Jewish community in the 27th district?

Yes, there is an advantage, but everyone has to obviously lock up every major community.

The Russian Jewish community, in other words, is tight-knit and will vote for one of its own.

Well, it really depends on the person. Everyone – whether he’s Republican, Democrat, Russian, Italian, etc. – is going to be his own person.

But a lot of people are proud that the community is starting to grow in terms of being able to succeed in the United States. Coming here at the fall of the Soviet Union, everyone was very, very poor because whatever money you even had got wiped out because of inflation and the collapse of the Soviet Union. So everyone started out with zero, or just about zero, and people are very proud of the fact that finally the community can break out and join the middle class. [If I get elected], this would obviously be another step towards joining the middle class and becoming normal Americans.

How many people are there in the 27th district, and what percentage of them are Russian and Orthodox Jews?

There are about 325,000 people in the district. We believe about a quarter of them are Russian Jews and another quarter are observant Jews.

With the federal government involved in more and more aspects of our lives, some people ignore local elections, thinking they don’t matter much. Why should the average person care about this special election?

The federal government has the more glamorous issues that make their way onto CNN and Fox News. But if you look at the issues that play a role in real people’s lives, a lot of them are dealt with on a local level. Albany has a nearly $70 billion budget and passes all sorts of laws related to almost everything that affects your life – education, funding for schools and nonprofits, gay marriage, etc.

You have to have somebody who is fighting for you in Albany because at the end of the day a politician either sides or doesn’t side with you. And that’s what this election will come down to. Lew Fidler does not side with our district. His ideology is not the ideology of the dominant majority of this district.

About the Author: Elliot Resnick is a Jewish Press staff reporter and author of “Movers and Shakers: Sixty Prominent Personalities Speak Their Mind on Tape” (Brenn Books).

9 Responses to “‘I Will Absolutely Fight For You’: An Interview With Would-Be State Senate Candidate David Storobin”

1. Jim says:

I plan on supporting the Republican candidate for disgraced Senator Carl Kruger’s seat. Mr. Storobin seems like a good, honest person in-sync with the values of the communities of this Senate District. I hope the Jewish Press joins me in supporting David Storobin for State Senate.

2. Moshe says:

Mr. Storobin flubbed Albanys $135 billion budget by calling it an “almost 70 billion” budget. Such a simple fact. A would be senator would know. Not ready for prime time, perhaps!

3. Alex P says:

Finally a great candidate! I have seen David speak multiple times on Russian Television. He is quite impressive and very knowledgeable. As a Russian Jew and with many friends in the Jewish community I can safely say this is exactly who we need. Hope he makes it!

4. Marina says:

David Storobin is finally a worthy candidate to represent the district. I will definitely support David in the race for the Senate! I hope the district joins me in his support. I wish him luck.

5. Yehuda says:

I’m excited to support David Storobin for State Senate and the Republicans expand their majority!
    The NYS Senate Majority Leader, Dean Skelos, has been a great friend of the Jewish community and of Jewish causes. It would only be appreciative of us that we as a community show our support for the Republican candidate.

6. Yehuda says:

Give me a break Moshe. Because Mr. Storobin got mixed up between the NYC budget and NYS budget you deem it a flub? People make mistakes and can get confused.

Moshe, you must really be none other than Lew Fidler commenting. I can see why. You are running scared in a district that John Mccain won overwhelmingly and you and Mike Gianaris whole-heartily supported the corrupt Carl Kruger.

BTW, when are you planning to run the ads that tout the 15 Million you helped deliver exclusively to LGBT community?

7. Theo says:

Storobin has been getting a lot of grassroots press lately and I get the sense that he understands the local needs of the community and will be able to leverage his position as part of the majority to help that community.

In addition clearly there is an issue with Democrats in local office, the temptation to take advantage of the situation for their own needs seem to be to much for them. I think the Republican ticket is the way to go and it seems likely that Storobin is the preferred candidate.

8. Michael says:

Go, David!
    I will vote for you as well as all my friends.
    It’s time for the true Republican from Russian-Jewish
    Community to become State Senator.

9. Izzy says:

Anyone who votes for Lew Fidler is aiding a crook! Fidler still has not returned some $88,550 that he got back in his 2009 campaign, though he ended up winning with 81% of the vote. PLEASE go to Daily News Editorials, Nov. 8, 2009, “Fidler on the hook,” & Sept. 11, 2010, “Stop the money grabs.” . To quote the 2010 Editorial:”‘The worst of the bunch was Brooklyn Democratic Councilman Lew Fidler….Tell grabbers like Fidler to get lost.”

The White House will free Pollard but bar him from traveling to Israel for five years.
US Won’t Let Pollard Out of Country for Five Years

By most accounts, the one person with the political muscle to swing enough Democratic votes to override a veto is Sen. Schumer.

The next day, in a speech in New York to the Council on Foreign Relations, Mr. Kerry substantially upped the ante.

In Israel, the judiciary has established itself as superior to ALL other branches of the government.

The Fifteenth Day of the month of Av became a day of national rejoicing. The moment that had seemed hopeless became the moment of Redemption.

I think the melodies in our religious services have a haunting sound to them that just permeates your guts and gets into your soul. If you have any musical inclination, I think they inspire you to compose.

Cavalier analogies to the Holocaust are unacceptable, but Huckabee’s analogy was very appropriate.

Pollard was a Jewish-head-on-a-pike for all American Jews to see and to learn the explicit lesson.

If the Iran deal passes, Obama’s WH becomes world’s leading financier of terrorism against Americans

{Originally posted to the author’s website, FirstOne Through} Some passionate and eloquent liberals have bemoaned the state of inclusiveness among Jews today. Leon Wieseltier, editor of the New Republic penned an angry piece “J Street’s Rejection Is a Scandal” about the exclusion in 2014 of J Street from the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations. […]

Magnanimity by Moshe Dayan, allowing Muslim control of the Temple Mount, led to today’s situation.

It was modeled upon a similar fund that had been set up by Sephardic Jews in Venice. But Amsterdam’s Dotar was initially more ambitious in scope.

Rav Aharon Margalit is a bestselling author – his book, As Long As I Live, has been translated into four languages – and a standing-room only lecturer. Both religious and non-religious audiences flock to hear him. What makes him so extraordinary? Rav Margalit is a Chasidic Jew who experienced incredible challenges from a very young […]

J Street is the vanguard (Jewish face)in support of Obama’s Vienna Accords Nuclear Deal with Iran

“I hold the woman’s place over that of men in every fundamental aspect of public and private life.”

More Articles from Elliot Resnick
Harvey Rachlin

Marc Shapiro

In his day, Rav Kook was the greatest writer of haskamot and pretty much everyone in the Lithuanian Torah world wanted his approbation.

But on the human level, public protest played a very central role. And that’s not my position – it’s the position of historians who are experts in this area.

When words lose meaning, the world becomes an Orwellian dystopia; a veritable Tower of Babel

My best book is one that hasn’t been published yet.

Israel is not the only issue that has drawn Jews closer to conservative Christians in recent decades. The culture wars have played a significant role as well.

What books might people be surprised to find on your bookshelves?

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/i-will-absolutely-fight-for-you-an-interview-with-would-be-state-senate-candidate-david-storobin/2012/01/04/