September 17, 2014 / 22 Elul, 5774
Apartment 758x530 Africa-Israel at the Israel Real Estate Exhibition in New York

Africa Israel Residences, part of the Africa Israel Investments Group led by international businessman Lev Leviev, will present 7 leading projects on the The Israel Real Estate Exhibition in New York on Sep 14-15, 2014.

Not the Typical IDF Soldier’s Mom

A Muslim Arab Mother Whose Son Serves in the IDF Speaks Out.
Anet Haskia and her children

Anet Haskia and her children
Photo Credit: Courtesy: Anet Haskia

Anet Haskia is not the typical mom of a soldier serving in the Israel Defense Forces. But Haskia, a Muslim Arab who grew up in a mixed Arab-Jewish city in the north, is breathing a little easier this week.

For Haskia, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s decision not to enter the Gaza Strip last week was “brave and right.”

The mother of three children, with a 20-year-old IDF combat soldier, Haskia told Tazpit News Agency that “many Israeli soldiers’ lives were saved thanks to that decision.”

“Going into Gaza would have yielded success for the Hamas terrorists. Israel did what it had to do for the time being to stop the rocket attacks, and played it smart.”

Haskia who was born and raised in Acre (Akko), a mixed Arab-Jewish city in the Western Galilee in northern Israel, is openly vocal about her support for the Jewish state of Israel.

“I am proud to live in Israel,” she says. “I am even prouder for the fact that both my sons have served as soldiers for this country.”

“If I were living in Gaza, I would have no rights as a woman under Hamas,” explained Haskia. “And you can’t expect anything different—Hamas is a terror organization, they treat people like animals with no regard to human life. They will never hold democratic elections like we do in Israel.”

“I’m open about these truths,” adds Haskia. “The Arab MKs in the Israeli Knesset don’t represent me. The extremist left-wing in Israel also doesn’t represent me and others in my community, who share my beliefs. Those corrupt politicians just contribute to hate, incitement and lies.”

“When an IDF soldier is killed in combat, not one Arab MK will stand up and offer his condolences to the bereaved family,” she exclaims. “These Arab MKs enjoy democratic rights but don’t appreciate them.”

Anet explains that her attitude toward the Jewish state as a member of the Arab minority stems from the fact that she was raised in a home that “respected both Hebrew and Arabic speakers.”

“When I grew up in Akko, we had good relations between Jewish and Arab families.”

“I realized early on that I wanted my children to advance in Israeli society. They studied in a private Jewish school on a kibbutz and were exposed to a different mentality. It was not an easy road, but I taught my children to always be proud of their identity and not to cry and whine like our politicians.”

During Israel’s Operation Pillar of Defense, Haskia did not just sit worried over what may happen to her son – the proud mom did her share to help Israel as well. “For more than 12 years, Hamas has been firing rockets at Israeli civilians, and all you see are photos of Gaza in the media. And some of those photos are fakes,” Haskia pointed out.

“I noticed many times in Arab media that ‘Gaza’ photos of bleeding civilians were actually photos from other Arab conflicts in the Middle East— Syria and Iraq for example. They were being used to incite hatred against Israel, so I started to post these fake photos and their origins on my Facebook wall.”

Haskia, however, has political ambitions as well. “I want to be part of Israeli politics some day and make a difference by representing my people. There are many people who are too scared to speak up, who love Israel like I do and have done well here. They want a future where their children will not fall to hatred and incitement, but overcome that. I want to be their voice,” she concludes.

About the Author: Anav Silverman is a regular contributor to Tazpit News Agency.

32 Responses to “Not the Typical IDF Soldier’s Mom”

1. Chaiya Eitan says:

She’s a wonderful woman.

2. Benjamin Rau says:

again it is made apparent that the very nature of this “cease fire” is NEGOTIATING WiTH TERRORISTS!!! no good can come of this….

3. Benjamin Rau says:

4. Chaiya Eitan says:

Bless you and your family, Anet.

5. Your words are inspiring! Many thanks to you and your family.

6. Keith David Reitman says:

I humbly thank your family for service to your country. I commend you, Anet, for clear vision and speaking truth from your heart and mind. I hope you find your way to the table of problem solving in Israel.

7. Anet Haskia says:

Thank you all.
    This is my country and my children <3.

8. האמא הכי מדהימה בעולם

9. Mona Ostby Beck says:

This statement is so powerful and nice, Anet: It brings tears in my eyes…And Kol HaKavod to your sons!

10. משפחת חאסקייה , אתם המשפחה המדהימה , היפה והנערצת ביותר בישראל .

11. Leslie Sirag says:

I think it would be great if more moms who are teaching their children not to judge by religion or language were in the Knesset.

12. Hammud Hasson The Haskyih, you are amazing family, beautiful and most admired in Israel. agreed Hammud

13. she has put herself in danger for making these nice words in public, I respect you very much.

14. Vivi B says:

what a wonderful article about a wonderful mother and person.

15. Cynthia Song says:

You demonstrate what Israel is all about: democracy and a better life for all !!!

16. Rachel Cohen says:

brave woman! may there be many more like you. the world may be a different place…… cheers!

17. Rachel Cohen says:

18. Robert Benzekri says:

Shalom Anet Haskia,. I read your story and i am very touch by your honesty , sincerity, and your courage as well as the courage of your family and sons . I am 57 now and i lived 10 years in Israel and i served in the IDF from 1973 to 1975 . I went through the Yom Kippour war . I am a humanist and i am for justice compassion and love for palestinians and all the victims on both sides. In this last war i was completely horrified by the crimes the hamas has done to palestinians that wanted peace i with Israel , http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/palestinians-body2.jpg?w=940&h=600

19. Derrick Léa says:

אני אוהב את זה אנט! :)

20. Anet Haskia says:

אנט אוהבת את מי שאוהב אותה :-)))) תודה <3

21. Noam Dehan says:

כל הכבוד, כתבה ממש יפה! ישר כח על האומץ!

22. Lydia Ohana says:

ken yirbou michepaha kamoh kol hakavode tamchihou hazak hazak..

23. thank you for printing the truth it was very difficult during the past 2 weeks trying to defend israel against the usual Israeli bashers, friends of friends on facebook, who keep telling me what israel was doing despite the fact that they live in the UK and Turkey! My family lives in the south of Israel and we KNOW the reality of daily rocket fire. Thanks again.

24. Shoshanna Goldstein Sanders says:

Anet, Kol Hakavod Lach! You are a brave woman and you should be very proud of your sons for fighting for their country.

25. Judy Git says:

Acco is quite a remarkable little city, where Jews and Arabs live together quite peacefully. I have personally never heard of any serious incidents between the two communities. I want to thank you, Anet, and your sons for your loyalty to Israel and for their service. Thank you also for wanting to be a part of the political process. Might I humbly suggest that you and others like you in your city – both Arab and Jewish – make an effort to be noticed by the world? You provide an example of what is possible; we all can and should learn from it. תודה רבה. כל הכבוד

26. Esther Sterental says:

Thank you Anet!!! an Israeli through and through!!!May you and your children be safe too :-)

27. Gary Schoch says:

We are all one the same!!!!!!!

28. Avraham David Cohen says:

הכתבה הזאת?

29. Anet Haskia says:

אברהם כן זאת :-)

30. Miriam Hyman says:

Israel needs you in parliment and so do all the women in the region. Thank you for your courage.

31. Logic and honor…hard to find ANYWHERE in this world……courage is being afraid and doing the right thing even when the tide of opinion is against you.
    honor in a world where lies are the norm??…you are a miracle…..obviously God is very much at home in YOU!!

Gidon Saar Resignation Announcement
Minister Gidon Saar Unexpectedly Announces Resignation

A little less than 10 percent of eligible Democratic voters came out on primary day, which translates into Mr. Cuomo having received the support of 6.2 percent of registered Democrats.

The reality, though, is that the Israeli “war crimes” scenario will likely be played out among highly partisan UN agencies, NGOs, and perhaps even the International Criminal Court.

Peace or the lack of it between Israel and the Palestinians matters not one whit when it comes to the long-term agenda of ISIS and other Islamists, nor does it affect any of the long-running inter-Arab conflicts and wars.

Rather than serving as a deterrent against terrorist attacks, Israel’s military strength and capabilities are instead looked at as an unfair advantage in the asymmetrical war in which it finds itself.

Sisi:”The religious nature of the Middle East creates challenges for the governing authorities.”

For too long the media and international community have been preaching that “Palestinians” bear no responsibility for the consequences of their decisions and they are passive victims of the conflict.

Iron Dome intercepted over 1,000 rockets aimed at Israel with a success rate of over 90% in 2014

We talked about the responsibility that comes with the pen, its potential to influence and inspire.

Amnesty International:The crippling of the power station was “collective punishment of Palestinians”

Originally scheduled to be held elsewhere, the hotel canceled, pressured by local missionary groups

It’s likely that some of the rebel factions, including US clients, have indeed made pacts with ISIS

Imam Tafsirli of the Harlem Islamic center: “You cannot be a Muslim without believing in Jesus”

If simple fuel choice were implemented, the power of petroleum and those who sell it would cease.

More Articles from Anav Silverman, Tazpit News Agency
Sharon memorial event in Minsk: Left to Right: Ambassador Shagal, Israel Maimon, Chaim Chesler, Gilad Sharon.

A memorial event with a special photo exhibition honoring the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon took place on Monday.

China’s Yuanda Enterprise Group announced last week that it had bought the Israeli company AutoAgronome Israel Ltd for $20 million in order to expand its business to high-tech agriculture.

Jerusalem district firefighters and rescue volunteers, alongside U.S. Marines and families of 9/11 victims, marked the 13th anniversary 9/11 in a special ceremony held in the Jerusalem Hills.

Ashdod residents witnessed the test operation, which simulated a rocket attack from Iran on southern Israel.

Israel is sharing its knowledge in the fields of public health in coordination with the World Health Organization’s efforts to stop the Ebola Virus Disease

“Supporting Israel is a form of standing against terrorism. Because my father was murdered by terrorists, I know exactly how people feel when they are under terror attack and that’s another reason for me to stand with Israel. “

“I know that you spent your vacation doing things not according to what you planned,” the prime minister told students in southern Israel.

Hamas recently indicated to international press that it would continue building up its underground network while restocking arsenal, rockets and other weaponry

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/not-the-typical-idf-soldiers-mom/2012/11/27/