July 28, 2014 / 1 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge

IDC Advocacy Room IDC Fights War on Another Front

Student Union opens ‘hasbara’ room in effort to fill public diplomacy vacuum.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Does It Bother You when your Kid Comes Home Feeling like Junk?

Response to Rabbi Wallerstein's Agudah convention speech.

Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein

Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein

Change must happen because the current system is crippling us and it is keeping us from being happy and proud. We all have to work on making the changes that are needed. Just ask yourself do I want my children sending my grandchildren to the same exact school system that they had to go through? Another question to ponder; Do you think the school system will look like this in the times of Moshiach? If the answer is no, there is only one way it will be different and that is to make the changes needed TODAY. If we don’t consciously repair the system, Torah life will begin, as it has already, to decay more and more on its own. A system that is not emes has no legs to stand on and will eventually topple.

About the Author:

Please use the Facebook Tab below to leave your comment:

46 Responses to “Does It Bother You when your Kid Comes Home Feeling like Junk?”

1. Esther d says:

Beautiful! Well-written! Excellent points and thought provoking. Thank you!!

2. Sonyaelli Perlman says:

So true it hurts

3. Bezalel – your words are so wise. You are a breath of fresh air!, I love that your angle is always compassion for people. We are so hungry for change. I'm grateful to be living with someone as brave and insightful as you.

4. Glenna Frank Ross says:

Spot on! A number of us have been saying this for years. If we keep going this way, the Jewish infrastructure will not have enough resources to support it. This next generation will not have the resources to support the shuls and schools that their parents did. It is a huge concern.

5. Rachel Schreiber Levitan says:

As a BT a lot of things have always seemed strange to me. I never would have expected my parents to support me when I was an adult. In the frum world it seems to be the norm. Too much emphasis is placed on outward appearances and that is not what we teach our children, but it seems to be the way we judge others.

6. Chev Bacher says:

You probably hear me cheering all the way from South Africa. Although every community struggles slightly differently with various issues, so many of the extremely valid and disturbing points you brought up regarding the chinnuch of our children are so universal and experienced by us all. Yasher koach for bringing to the fore added awareness and insight on such important matters.As a side, you write and express yourself in a way that really reaches the reader. Thank you! And keep writing, you have so much to add!

7. Mark SoFla says:

The evite.com thing is a great idea. That way you don't get stuck with any super-frummies that don't use the Internet! :-)

8. Nitza Chana says:

My husband asked me to hold off commenting on this post. He said he really wanted to share a few things about it and why he loved and agreed with it so deeply. I agreed but did want to share it with those of you who are not friends with him. I will, however, comment on it soon after him. Please read and share.

9. Nitza Chana says:

B'H for you both. It is not easy to stand sometimes but it is always the right things to do.

10. Brittany Newmark says:

Spot on.

11. Avi Glazer says:

Oh, now it makes sense. Someone focused like a laser beam on spreading the beauty of Judaism? There had to be a Klatzko connection somewhere, right? :-)

12. David Lubega says:

My experience is not unlike your own. Growing up as a Seventh-day Adventist Christian, I had many, many rules to follow. Early in life, we learned that we “couldn’t” do this or that. Much of it made absolutely no sense to me. However, my growing understanding of life, along with my expanded vocabulary, allowed me to amend or modify my response from my earlier years. I now said, “We don’t do this or that”, and explain if asked why. I thought it was a more ‘mature’ way of handling things. My heart hadn’t changed, though. I was still very frustrated and confused about so much.

The educational system is very similar. It believes in reinforcing the value system taught at home. However, so many of us grew up hating our value system because of what we couldn’t do. A big part of our disillusionment was the fact that we were explicitly (and implicitly) taught not to question anything that couldn’t be easily explained. I honestly used to hate my parents for so many things that they couldn’t explain. I now see that nobody explained things to them, so they couldn’t pass along what they didn’t have. I have a younger brother and sister, and I tried to explain things to them from my experience, especially things that were not explained to me.

I have seen the educational costs go up substantially over the years. I remember one preacher saying that “if we continue to preach that our children must be schooled in Christian schools, yet place the costs out of reach of most people, then we have made the salvation of our children dependent upon finances.” This is from grade school to post baccalaureate levels. And I believe it is true.
    I think I went through a ‘rebellious’ phase. If something couldn’t be explained to me, I did my own research. Once I discovered ‘juicy’ bits of information, especially things that would diametrically oppose what I had been taught to accept without question, I breathed a sigh of satisfaction. A smirk also came on my face. At that point, parents, pastors, teachers, authority figures of any kind, and whomever else had nothing further to say to me about the particular issue I had researched. That was a good feeling. Yet it still didn’t fix the problems. Solutions could come only if the whole system underwent a change.

You said that a reason for lack of change is the fact that people don’t want to feel like they no longer fit in. I understand that to an extent. But I also know that in my experience, many of my fellows no longer care that they don’t fit in. They don’t want to fit in. The fact that they never did fit in is what bothers them to begin with. They left it all behind and never looked back. And there is no shortage of disparaging remarks they could make against the system they know so well.

All in all, I believe that because the whole system is built on a lie, it was always taught that one must accept everything by faith, lest the lie be discovered. For some of us, it was just a matter of time before we verbally articulated our discovery of the lie and actually make up our minds for ourselves regarding how and what we would do as a result. We know that it is just a matter of time before the system topples, as you have spoken. We feel sorry for the friends that are holding on for dear life. We have found liberation in breaking away, whatever the reason may be. I wish this liberation on everyone.

13. בן וקסמן says:

i disagree with the premise that schools have to change simultaneously. if everyone is really so turned off with what is going on, the parents at a school can demand change there, others will then follow. or you know what? not everyone will follow, some will follow and you'll create something very healthy: a second track. a different pathway. and maybe there will be another group of parents who try something else entirely and you'll have three tracks, etc. the end result will be a healthier society for everyone involved.

14. Take example from home school kids, they r happy & thriving

15. Chaya Nebel says:

wow. super well said.

16. Yael, Mrs Perlman here, we agree with you 100%. That's actually what this article is about. On a personal level we can do that. That's why we've homeschooled our kids at different times and serve hot dogs for sheva brachos instead of knocking ourselves out making a 6 course meal with speeches on a weeknight that no one wants to sit through. But we are not everyone .We have the luxury of growing up ffb and in very open homes without the need to know if we fit in or not. This change needs to be spoken about bc the mainstream society doesn't pioneer or homeschool, they look to leaders, and to the very community that they signed up to be a part of.

17. YES! Our best years were when we homeschooled our kids!!

18. WOW! I really like this train of thought

19. Caycee Polun says:

Thank you for writing this Betzalel. It's a very thought-provoking article and I think it took courage to put it out there. I agree that guidance from our Rabbanim is very critical here. These are crazy times we are living in.

20. Odes Sher says:

Wonderful article and I am in complete agreement with most of the premise. My wife and I recently moved our kids to public school and developed individual learning programs for our kids. The backlash from some Rabbis has been utter shock that we would risk the soul of our kids to the influences of the non-jewish world. From our friends the response has been positive and maybe even a sense of envy that we are saving so much money on tuition cost. The reality is that for us it was not about the money (even though this change has allowed my wife to stay home and have the proper energy to be there for OUR kids when they get home from school). Our point is that there is as much danger (maybe even more) learning yiddishkit improperly as there is in being in a non-Torah environment (our public school is safe, honest, and caring, but without the preaching). Our kids wear their Tzizit and kippa, which meant that we had to be able to explain to them WHY observant Jews wear those items. There is non kosher food so we had to explain to them the beauty of kashrut. So many things they (and we) took for granted had to be handled directly. How are we different than non Jews? Why does Hashem care if we do mitzvot? And most importantly, who is Hashem and why are we meant to have a relationship with Him? Having worked with “off the Derech” kids for over 10 years, I have found that when the Torah we teach is a living Torah, meaning that all the stories and mitzvot are directly meaningful to the STUDENT and their own unique relationship with Hashem, then the natural result is a healthy Jew that has a meaningful relationship with God. Someone that is just told what he/she must do, usually is either robotic or disconnected from the essence of what they are actually trying to achieve (been in most shuls lately :)). In my opinion the system works for a few and they thrive, but for most it’s an expensive and negative man-made Jewish bubble.

While it is true that schools have much to be desired, the real failure is in the home. If a parent is really committed to their children's success, they CAN find a qualified school, with good mechanchim, and with good middos. Most parents simply don't care enough and would rather complain than do make any accommodations. Choosing the closest school to one's home, or one that is convenient, or one that costs less, is simply irresponsible. If you want to have successful children who make good choices and have Derech Eretz, then you need to lead by example. School's can and will adapt if parent make good choices. Then can and will improve – but only if the parents demand it.

22. this is an amazing article, a must read!!! Lets be part of the revolution for creating the needed change in Jewish Frum Community life…especially the chinuch and school system…

23. Chanie Katz says:

You and Rabbi Wallerstein are definitely on the money but the truth is that many in the frum and nonfrum Jewish community buy in to the theory that their child has to be a top lawyer,doctor or Talmud chochumm-the professions are different but the attitude is the same and until that attitude changes and children are respected for whom they are and not their iq's, I don't know how much any yeshiva can do-the mentality that is ingrained in most people is that you have to be the best or else you're not worth much-if the parents'attitudes change,maybe yeshivas will grab on to the "new wiorldview" and change too."-we can only hope and pray….

24. Jennifer Meltzer says:

Amen. And the mentality in some ways is even worse in Israel, from what I hear among the Hareidi community. And as my son-in-law would say, the rest are burning garbage cans in Meir Shearim.

25. Jennifer Meltzer says:

26. Gary Pickholz says:

one of the most fundamental flaws in American education is the complete mismatch of hashkafa and fundamental beliefs between the community and those appointed to positions of chinuch, which is invariably significantly wiiiiiiiiiide to the right of the community. As a result, our children rapidly learn the fraud of our lives, and the subtle message of "play along with them even though we don't really share common beliefs", while the Rabbonim look down on our children for pursuing hashkafot we truly believe in for their future. This is madness, and societal suicide. Job one is to remove the faculty and Rabbonim out of sync with the communities they service.

27. So now we know and now the Rabbonim know what are they going to do about it ???????

28. Jackie Wolf says:

Thank you for this article.

29. Tracy Steele says:

Thank you for this. For what its worth, in my effort to understand my place in the observant community, and to make choices that are not fear driven I have simplified the equation to 2 questions:
    1. Is honoring HaShem and doing His will at the top of the priority list?
    2. Are people coming before things?
    If the answer is yes, then I feel good about moving forward. When confused, we seek das Torah for help. My goal is no longer to fit in per se, but things are easier when that happens to work out. I don't go against the trend just for the sake of statement making….only for the sake of being true to the most real me I can be.

30. For someone that preaches this you sure are quick to judge people who always grew up in pants, hung out with boys, and went to public school where it is normal to smoke marijuana. Hanging out with boys does not aways mean sex unless doing it to rebel and even talking to a boy means going to hell. As for marijuana many people experiment or use it recreationally it is not an issue till people are doing harder stuff. PAnts are many times way more tzniut then the mini skirts girls wear. Instead of worrying about elbows showing kets worry about knees being covered. A vagina and butt is way more attractive to guys then an elbow. Just saying.

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
Prime Minister Netanyahu surveys the Gaza Strip from Sderot, 2010
Netanyahu Slams Security Council
Young children 'recruited' by the Al Qaeda-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and al-Shams (ISIS) terrorist group for a Shari'a jihadist army in Iraq and Syria.

ISIS poses a great threat to the entire civilized world in general and liberal democracies in particular.

kerry clown

Kerry is preoccupied with pressuring Israel, notwithstanding the transformation of the Arab Spring .

journalism

With no shortage of leftist media that seek to distort the news, what should our Torah response be?

Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett

Because let’s face it: Hamas obviously can’t defeat the IDF in the field, soldier against soldier

As Peres retires, Israel fights sour legacy: Insistence on setting policy in line with hopes, rather than with reality.

Our capital was not arbitrarily chosen, as capitals of some other nations were.

UNHRC High Commissioner Navi Pillay accuses the IDF of possible war crimes in Gaza again, cutting slack to Hamas.

People test Israel every day to see how serious we really are in knowing when we are right.

Should Jews in Europe take more responsibility in self-defense of community and property?

It is time for a total military siege on Gaza; Nothing should enter the Gaza Strip.

Germany’s The Jewish Faith newspaper ominously noted, “We Jews are in for a war after the war.”

The truth is we seldom explore with kids what prayer is supposed to be about.

Almost as one, Jews around the world are acknowledging the day-to-day peril facing ordinary Jews in Israel and the extraordinary service of the IDF in protecting them.