July 4, 2015 / 17 Tammuz, 5775

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

I Slept in Hitler’s Room and Germany Went Ballistic

Germany, I sadly found out, was obsessed with Jews.
Jewish bestselling author Tuvia Tenenbom is obsessed with the German obsession with Jews.

Standing before the people who demanded honesty, it soon became very clear that my staunchest critics assailed the book without actually reading it.

Happily, other critics took a closer look at the book and published glorious reviews. Tens of thousands bought the book, sending it to the top 10 of Spiegel magazine’s best sellers list (equivalent to the New York Times best sellers list in the U.S.), and thousands of the book’s fans attended public readings across Germany.

At its conclusion, I ended my journey into Germany having many more friends than when I started it.

This makes me happy, as having new friends is always good, but this doesn’t mean that I’m not worried. I am, and much more than I ever was.

Germany is a wonderful, beautiful country, its society one of the more sophisticated of our time. Germany’s cultural institutions, such as museums, theater and journalism, are the most advanced in the Western world — which probably explains why its society’s stars are not movie actors but intellectuals.

To me, and as far as I could witness, most of those intellectuals are pseudo intellectuals: they are brainy beyond repair, full of themselves, have a very narrow view of the world, lack a healthy sense of reality and, worse yet, suffer from acute anti-Semitism. Again and again, history teaches us where this senseless hate will lead.

Before WWII, just as now, Germany was very advanced for its time, proudly holding one of the best human rights records. But then as now, the people had hate inside their hearts at the same time their mouths were uttering the loveliest words of freedom.

It was Adolf Hitler who knew to their deeper thoughts and he turned them into the most sadistic known to humanity.

If today Germany doesn’t wake up to its inner hate, a more sophisticated Adolf will appear and nobody will be powerful enough to stop him.

It is time to tell Germany, in the clearest of words: People who suffer from cancer can’t afford to ignore it. Germany must wake up to its cancer, before it will be fatally consumed by it.

Telling Germans the truth is not hate but the purest form of love. I deeply love them, and therefore I deeply care.

Tuvia Tenenbom is a Spiegel bestselling author and columnist for Die Zeit, Germanys prestigious weekly newspaper. He is the author of “I Sleep in Hitler’s Room: An American Jew Visits Germany”which was published in Germany as “Allein Unter Deutschen.” In addition to his work for Die Zeit, his writings have been published in newspapers such as Corriere della Sera of Italy and Yedioth Ahronoth of Israel. He holds advanced degrees in both fine arts and science and is the founder and artistic director of The Jewish Theater of New York.

About the Author:

20 Responses to “I Slept in Hitler’s Room and Germany Went Ballistic”

You better look a little farther into the beginning of Anti Jewism. With the literal loan sharking in the east Europe and Russia for ages against the peasants. Also dragging Pagan Europe into Christ-insanity backfired on jews.

2. Gil Gilman says:

This is too-too ridiculous. Were you in the book? If not you should be added to the appendices in the 2ND edition.

3. Eva Feld says:

I was in Germany twice. I had encounters with lots of born, bred, educated and fully informed Germans, or so they thought. "Why do you speak English to your daughter but to the waitress good German." "I am a Jewess. I am a survivor." Silence. This happened a few times to the point that my husband felt embarrassed. For Germans it is second nature to hate everything that isn't either Catholic or Evangelic. Jews is a relatively new term for them. Don't know Jews, they meet very few of them – relatively speaking. To know Jews they fly to Israel either with church groups or as an "adventure before or after Abitur – The equivalent of University entry exams. Some even stay and work in a kibbutz as volunteers, but most go back to say ""Aber Fabelhaft" – it is wonderful. The Germans are an insular society.

4. …and Jews DO NOT GET IT.

5. Alana Ronald says:

When I lived in Israel I met a German couple who came to Israel out of curiosity, didn't come as part of any group, did love what they experienced, and invited me to visit them in Dusseldorf. They actually said, "Jews remind us of Germans. Their work ethic is unsurpassed, what they did to build this country is like what we had to do to rebuild our own after the 2nd WW, and you love art and culture, as we do."

6. Mr, Tenenbom you R a hero to me as you didn't obey them just for the sake of publishing the book and thank you for not stopping there, the liberalism world of to day R not interesting with the truth, their only interest is money.

7. It is very good that the US is spying over Germany it looks very nice but behind is the devil, don't forget the two WW.

8. The Germans are jelous to the Jews they know that we are much better than they, we survived all the empires, monarchies and goverments, and still we are here with all together if they like or not.

9. Ivo Brncic says:

My own experience tells me is that there is no more antiSemitism in Germany today than in Sweden or Norway. And by far less than in Poland, Russia, Hungary etc.

10. What a candid discourse. Very few would venture there.

11. Shockingly revealing article. I know we cannot condemn a whole nation for the sins of their fathers, but my encounter with many Germans was a testimony to a culture that is inherently anti-semtic in its core. One example that came into mind was when I was a teacher at Bellaire High School in Houston Texas. We had an exchange programme with a German school. I entered a conversation with of of the German teachers once and we discussed Yiddish and its Germanic origins. To my questions as to whether German adopted any iddish words,, the teacher told me, "Yes, we use the word 'ganove'" For those of you who do not know, the word means "thief" and it is Hebrew in origin. In y Israeli Chutzpah, I turned to him and said, "Of ALL the beautiful words that exist in Yiddish, it is a shame that your language chose to adopt that one!" I turned and walked away!

12. Cody Flecker says:

The Jews are the smartest people on earth. The German Jews were even smarter. Germans today know that fact and are really embarrassed to admit the fact that they and their ancestors tried to kill that intelligence now and in the past. Anti semitism is rampant all over the world. In the USA, and in the former Soviet Union. The Jewish People know this and when things get too "hot" for them, they just move on, as well as they should. As a society, the Jews truly advanced in Germany much more than in the USA. It is hard for Germans to explain just why the Jews were so successful in Germany, as it is for Americans to explain the reasons why the Jews achieved so much, yet the Jews make up such a small percentage on the overall population. For the Germans, this is a baffling proposition.

13. Philip Ziosa says:

I'm german and I have to agree that there arel horrible antisemitic mechanisms in this country. I spoke a lot with my jewish, german and turkish friends about it and we tried to analyse why there is no progress. When I was in Israel for three months I spoke to the people there and we had conversations full of emotions, it was hard for both sides, but neccessary. We have to ask more. Inform ourself. I think we need to distance ourselves from the intolerant hater-concept and I have to say for sure we are not reaching there with some comments below. "Germans will for sure go there again…" and so on. This in not helping! Think about it.

14. Rose Galston says:

…back in 1975 I was in Munich on business with 3 other men….the first evening the 3 Jews went for a walk to the town square…there as we watched… along with a large crowd…the little figures came marching out of the clock tower….and then the crowd joined hands in a circle and began to sing…"Deutschland Uber Allus"….we quietly moved back to the buildings behind us and silently escaped into the night!
    No German Nationalism? My Ass!
    NG

15. Jenni Jenx says:

ah ok you 're from quito, equador, one of the most corrupted country in the world ?

UN Human Rights Council
UN HRC Condemns Israel (But Not Hamas) for War Crimes
Jelgava Synagogue, Latvia

Latvia, July 4, 1941 they forced many Jews in the shul putting it on fire; everyone was burned alive

United Nations Building, New York City

There’s blood on the reporters’ hands AND New Israel Fund for funding groups feeding lies to the UN

Zuckerman-070315

Respect & appreciation for our country is not only a civic value but an essential Jewish one as well

wedding cake

When words lose meaning, the world becomes an Orwellian dystopia; a veritable Tower of Babel

Israel, like the non-radical Islamic world. will be happy see the ISIS beheaded for once.

Kids shouldn’t have “uninstructed” Internet access, better to train them how to use it responsibly

What if years from now, IS were to control substantial territory? What world havoc would that wreak?

Rambam writes the verse’s double term refers to 2 messiahs: first King David; 2nd the final Mashiach

The Gaza flotilla has been rightfully and legally blocked by Israel’s Navy, with greetings from Bibi

The president described the attack as “an act that drew on a long history of bombs and arson and shots fired at churches, not random, but as a means of control, a way to terrorize and oppress…”

“The only [candidate] that’s going to give real support to Israel is me,” said the 69-year-old Trump.

And whereas at the outset the plan was that Iran would have to surrender most of its centrifuges, it will now be able to retain several thousand.

Now oil independent, US no longer needs its former strategic alliances with Gulf States-or Israel

In addition to the palace’s tremendous size it was home to the “hanging gardens,” which were counted among the seven wonders of the ancient world.