Latest update: July 14th, 2014
A sampling of his prescient remarks:
1990 – “Iraq has developed a chemical weapons capability, and is pursuing a nuclear weapons development program.” (In 1991 Senator Kerry was in the minority of senators who voted against the Persian Gulf War.)
1997 – “Should the resolve of our allies wane, the United States must not lose its resolve to take action.” He further warned that if Saddam Hussein were not held to account for violation of UN resolutions, some future conflict would have ‘greater consequence.’
1998 – “I think there is a disconnect between the depth of the threat that Saddam Hussein presents to the world and what we are at the moment talking about doing … we have to be prepared to go the full distance, which is to do everything possible to disrupt his regime and to encourage the forces of democracy….
“I am way ahead of the commander in chief, and I’m probably way ahead of my colleagues and certainly of much of the country. But I believe this. I believe that he has used these weapons before. He has invaded another country. He views himself as a modern-day Nebuchadnezzar. He wants to continue to play the uniting critical role in that part of the world. And I think we have to stand up to that.”
2002 – “I would disagree with John McCain that it’s the actual weapons of mass destruction he may use against us, it’s what he may do in another invasion of Kuwait or in a miscalculation about the Kurds or a miscalculation about Iran or particularly Israel.
“Those are the things that – that I think present the greatest danger. He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat.”
2003 – “If Saddam Hussein is unwilling to bend to the international community’s already existing order, then he will have invited enforcement, even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act.”
2004 (January) – “Saddam Hussein took us to war once before. In that war, young Americans were killed. He went to war in order to take over the oil fields. It wasn’t just an invasion of Kuwait. He was heading for the oil fields of Saudi Arabia. And that would have had a profound effect on the security of the United States.
“This is a man who has used weapons of mass destruction, unlike other people on this Earth today, not only against other people but against his own people. This is a man who tried to assassinate a former president of the United States, a man who lobbed 36 missiles into Israel in order to destabilize the Middle East, a man who is so capable of miscalculation that he even brought this war on himself.
“This is a man who, if he was left uncaptured, would have continued to be able to organize the Ba’athists. He would have continued to terrorize the people, just in their minds, because of 30 years of terror in Iraq.”Michael Ashbury
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.
Imported and Older Comments:
- Minor Earthquake Near the Kineret
on December 2, 2016 12:27 PM
- T’shuva Movement Pioneer Rabbi Mordechai Goldstein Dead at 82
on December 2, 2016 11:46 AM
- Shaked: Court’s Intervention in Knesset, Government Work Distorts Democracy
on December 2, 2016 10:39 AM
- Armored Troops, Border Guards, Furious at Amona Assignment: We Didn’t Enlist to Evict Jews
on December 2, 2016 9:14 AM
- USMC General (ret.) James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Reported to Be Next Secy of Defense
on December 2, 2016 2:22 AM
- Power Outage in Jerusalem As Storm Snaps Trees, Damaging Cars
on December 2, 2016 12:47 AM
- Celebration, Challenges as Ethiopian Community Celebrates Sigd Festival
on December 2, 2016 12:16 AM
- Internet Consortium at TAU to Invest in Next-Generation Internet of Things
on December 1, 2016 10:54 PM
- Obama Renews Presidential Waiver Keeping US Embassy in Tel Aviv
on December 1, 2016 10:15 PM
- More Israeli Arabs Who Planned to Join ISIS Sentenced to Prison
on December 1, 2016 8:16 PM
- Israeli Minister Yuval Steinitz: Abu Mazen is Israel’s “Number One Enemy”
on December 1, 2016 7:02 PM
- Israeli Ambassador to Turkey Arrives in Ankara
on December 1, 2016 5:44 PM
- Israeli Border Guard Officers Hurt in Stoning Attack
on December 1, 2016 5:16 PM
- Netanyahu Thanks Uruguayan Foreign Minister for Nov. 29 Vote
on December 1, 2016 4:28 PM
- Ancient Inscription Identifies Gargilius Antiques as Roman Ruler on Eve of Bar Kochva Revolt
on December 1, 2016 4:06 PM