December 19, 2014 / 27 Kislev, 5775

8000 meals Celebrate Eight Days of Chanukah – With 8,000 Free Meals Daily to Israel’s Poor

Join Meir Panim’s campaign to “light up” Chanukah for families in need.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Must Jews Dislike the Christians who Like Them?

evangelicals and orthodox jews

Now do you love me? Do you love me in a future in which Jesus doesn’t come, and you continue to hold on to your faith, and I to mine?

Or, at least, can you keep the narrative about my seeing your light to yourselves?

That’s we’re really asking. As far as Orthodox Jews are concerned, Evangelical Christians are to be envied with their serious approach to God and to the Scriptures. We like very much your acts of charity, we admire your political stubbornness – even if we disagree, and we do, about abortion being murder. It’s still heart warming to see religious people willing to give up a lot, for the most part in non-violent ways, to abide by their faith.

There’s so much over which we could collaborate. I’d like us to establish together banks without usury. Religious humane societies to protect animals from cruel treatment, humans from insane government food policies, citizens from a political system gone cynical and vicious. Of all the gentiles in the world, I’d rather work together with you than anyone else.

But you must keep your missionary urges to yourselves. You can even lie to me and say you don’t have them – I’ll accept it. I’ll lie to you in return and say that my tradition says your teachings have value. We can co-exist this way for generations, bettering our societies and contributing good to the world.

Just do something about your impulse to convert me.

About the Author: Yori Yanover has been a working journalist since age 17, before he enlisted and worked for Ba'Machane Nachal. Since then he has worked for Israel Shelanu, the US supplement of Yedioth, JCN18.com, USAJewish.com, Lubavitch News Service, Arutz 7 (as DJ on the high seas), and the Grand Street News. He has published Dancing and Crying, a colorful and intimate portrait of the last two years in the life of the late Lubavitch Rebbe, (in Hebrew), and two fun books in English: The Cabalist's Daughter: A Novel of Practical Messianic Redemption, and How Would God REALLY Vote.

127 Responses to “Must Jews Dislike the Christians who Like Them?”

1. I always live with the threat of others proselytizing

2. I treat people the way prople treat me ….. is never wrong . :)

3. "…who I am includes a thorough rejection of the essence of your ideology, all of it, completely, I hold that there’s no truth to it whatsoever."

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You share with them an underlying belief in a living God, in a divinely inspired bible, and in doing acts of charity.

4. love your fellow man, love thy enemy and have patience for all of man, where evil may work in the heart of.

5. Allen Brandt says:

I, as a Christian, was told by a Messianic Jew that if I did not preach the gospel to Jews, that I was an anti-Semite. The articles I read like this only make me sad, because it becomes very apparent how much “misunderstanding” there is amongst Christians and Jews alike. People need to read the bible (which includes the Torah) instead of spreading misinformation like this.

6. Moishe Pupik says:

Moshe Z. Matitya · I believe you're wrong. Christians believe in a universe in which Man is at the center. Indeed, their Jesus fantasy is the story of Prometheus who came to redeem human misery with the gift of fire and was punished for eternity.

God who is beyond fdefinition, with Whom we communicate strictly through the mitzvot is utterly foreign to Christians.

7. David Robert Grate says:

I think your over-exaggeration is tainted by too many people shoving Christ in your face. As a Jew (though raised traditionally, not religiously, I never consistered Christ. When I realized He was more than just a nice Jew, I was able to find more of the Tanakh in the Apostolic texts, and further understand and obey Torah because of my new found faith. Yes, my sins are forgiven, but I still must obey Torah as much, if not more, than I must obey civil laws of my state and country. The only difference is that I truly enjoy obeying all aspects of Torah.

8. Moishe Pupik says:

David Robert Grate · Are you saying your sins were forgiven because you admitted them, worked to fix the damage you caused sinning, and resolved never to repeat them — or because you accepted Jesus as your savior?

9. Jim Copenhaver says:

I am a Christian who fervently supports Israel and Jews wherever they may be. I am not evangelical and do not believe that Christians should be shoving their faith in Jewish faces. The problem with evangelicals is that they believe they have been given a command by Jesus to do just that. Perhaps they have but I do not read it that way. The Christian Bible teaches me that the Jews are God's chosen and he will deal with them in his own way. And to my mind, the Great Commission, which states Go to all nations making disciples of them, does not include the Jews. I am, perhaps, wrong in my interpretation, but both Christians and Jews need to realize that they are related to each other, almost in a family way. Surely, if any two groups of people on the earth ought to get along, it is us.

10. I’m Christian my great grandfather and those before him were born Jewish my great grandfather converted to Christianity for what reason i don’t know

11. Felix Acosta says:

Yori look I have read some of your articles about my Christian faith and your Jewish faith. Do not bundle together all Christians
    Under one banner. My fellow believers and in Love the jewish people and Israel not because of people like you. We were warned by A Former Jewish Pharisee
    Name Saul of Tarsus about people like you, who do not recognize true love when they see it, besides we were also warned by Torah also How hard headed the Jewish people, but we still love israel, we still gonna pray for Jerusalem
    We still believe the land was giving to the descendant
    Of Abraham for ever(jacob). Yeah we could be annoying at sometimes but that what love does it change you Heart. And Yes Yeshua Ben David was from Israel.

12. And so, while I appreciate your support of Israel and my people, I cannot help but wonder if that support is based upon your mistaken notion that, in doing so, you will eventually help me to see the error of my ways and accept your religion as correct. No thanks, we have survived these thousands of years with the world trying to kill us, we will be fine with or without your support.

13. Felix Acosta says:

Excuse Jim "The problem with evangelicals is that they believe they have been given a command by Jesus to do just that" excuse me You don't believe your Bible?, do you obey your Lord Commands or not? Go ye into the world did you read that. so u think Paul, Peter James, Matthew (they were all Jews by the way) change Religions or follow their Messiah Yeshua. These man Preach the Gospel where? in what City First? To what People First?…The Jewish People were the first people to hear the gospel, because the Covenant is with them First, then US….That Has Not Change. I am a Christian Evangelical, i believe in a Jewish Rabbi Messiah, Called Yeshua (Jesus). The Bible is a Jewish Book who coimmands us to take the Good News to all people. so are they Jewish People Excluded, JIm?

14. I guess we must be important, otherwise why do Christians want to convert us, save us or (as some do) persecute us? What is it about Jews that bugs other people? I for one (Jew) would just like to be left alone to pray how I want. I'm not bothered what others do as long as they let me live as a Jew. Is that too much to ask for? Apparently yes.

15. Perhaps he means the ideology of Christ, God and the Holy Spirit? Or the Virgin birth? Or the resurrection of Jesus. These things are so incredible that I cannot see how people accept them. Other than to say it is 'blind' faith. And yes, there are stories of resurrections from pre-civilized societies, and female gods worshiped for centuries, so I guess they are just carried on stories.

16. It is always a blessed life if our consciences are void of anything suspicious, but does not imply being tactless, and we know where we stand in our faith. But the underlying circumstances behind our backs would affect good relationship with others.

17. David Moises Malkun Paz says:

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

18. Short answer, no. Long answer, no. Shouldn’t eat at their homes, but it’s because they aren’t required to keep kosher, not that they aren’t decent people. No reason we can’t all have a nice heart clogging pastrami sandwich in a kosher deli together.

19. The truth is you don't stop becoming a Jew… Judiasm is the root to Christianity…and together we become the "new man " described in scripture.

20. Problem is, most Christian folks only like Jews enough to convert them.

no truth to Jesus, however, he did exist. There is no truth in the Exodus as academics will tell you there is no evidence of it occurring. A myth.

22. Moishe Pupik says:

David Moises Malkun Paz – ok, but can you keep it to yourselves?

23. Lisa Liel says:

Dislike them? No. Reject them? Yes.

24. I saw an interview with Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein – he was asked about this problem – he said today there has been a major change in Evangelical circles and many, if not most, have given up on the drive to convert us. But even if they do, they are motivated by love. The big question they have is, if we Jews believe we have the truth, then why are we not trying to convert them. When we ”throw a bone” with Rabbi Schneerson's ”Noahide Movement”, it really comes off as offensive and condescending. When a friend of mine, himself a former pastor who converted to Judaism, suggested a movement to teach the world that conversion to Judaism is possible for every gentile to consider, and only offering the Noahide Laws as bdieved (post facto) – he was told it would increase antisemitism. But, as Dennis Prager pointed out, it is our reluctance to share our faith that increases antisemitism, because it makes it look like we have something to hide, which we don't. There is nothing wrong with Christians sharing their faith with us. They are motivated by love an sincerity. We should be confident enough to return the favor. Rabbi Daniel Lapin often says he doesn't care if a Christian believes he is going to Heaven or Hell, as long as he doesn't do anything to get us there quicker. The Christian community are indeed our friends, and it is time we embrace them just as they embraced us, with love and sincerity. They are good people, and we have much to learn from them.

25. Dear M,

Thank you for pouring out your heart. Please realize that I do not (nor does Yeshua, in my opinion) want you to give up one ounce of your Jewishness, and I do not want you to become a "Christian" nor a member of any denomination. You should go to the head of the stream, where the water is pure.

"Christian" is a greek designation for gentile believers. Yeshua is fully a Jew, and never asked anyone to give up their heritage through Abraham. In fact, to believers, Yeshua is the realization of the promise to Abraham that through his seed all nations would be blessed. I am a Jew by faith and spirit, but not by flesh. You have an advantage of both flesh and spirit, if you come to Yeshua.

If you would communicate with my friend Joseph Shulam, you would learn that he does not want any Jews to become "Christians." You are not called to join a Christian organization, but to establish your own Jewish cell of believers meeting in your home, or with some other group of Messianic Jews. You would continue to observe all of your Jewish traditions of your choosing, but not rely on keeping the Law for salvation. The main thing I want you to consider is the man Yeshua, with the full expectation that when you have met Him, you will fall at His feet.

You know that I have lived and breathed the Ezekiel project since 1993. I count your coming to faith in Yeshua of much greater importance than this project. I know what it will mean to you, your family, and your friends.

Please connect with some of the Messianic Jews in your area. There are many. Just put messianic jews new jersey in google and take a look.

May the blessings of YHWH overflow in your life leading to faith in Yeshua as your messiah.

Your brother in Abraham, you by flesh and me by spirit.

Randolph

26. David Moises Malkun Paz says:

Sylvie Schapira "And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Elijah and the child's soul returned within him, and he lived." 1 Kings 17:22

27. Terry McIntosh says:

A Jewish man, that is Jesus, died for all of us, in order to make peace with God, and Christians are indebted to him for that loving self sacrifice. Christian theology ranges from passive to radical, but the root of Christian love for Israel is based in the love that Jesus exampled on the cross. As a gentile, I am eternally thankful and would love to see all of Israel experience that love, but it can only come from revelation, not coercion. Some Christians may try to convert Jews based on ideology alone thinking they will be blessed, and thereby miss the greater goal of self sacrificing love that wins friends instead of alienating them. It is that same love, however, that compels other Christians to share the faith with Jews. If you truly love someone, you will dare to tell them the truth, even when it hurts and offends, therefore a loving Jewish person should not take offense at a gentile's expression of love, rather embrace that love and return it with respect for each other.

28. I don’t trust Christians at all. I was one. There is always an ulterior motive no matter what they say. And I know the history, the shameful, evil, underhanded history.

29. I don’t trust Christians at all. I was one. There is always an ulterior motive no matter what they say. And I know the history, the shameful, evil, underhanded history.

30. Wrong at least six million times.

31. how is that wrong when it is written?

32. And it does not matter if a Christian is nice, etc. That is human in spite of Christianity. It is the Christian religion itself that is bad.

33. Karen Bryant says:

I am a Christian and have a strong love for the jewish people and Israel . I never knew any until i was in my 20′s. So what i feel had to have been a gift to me from god. My love for them doesn’t depend on their following my belief as a Christian . We all have to walk our own path,and their loving me or being afraid of my intentions will be up to them. I fully understand the lack of trust issues.

34. Karen Bryant says:

35. Abraham has lots of servants and there’s no words written in the bible that he abuses any of his servants.

36. Moishe Pupik says:

Terry McIntosh – If you truly love someone, and they ask you to leave them be, and you insist on loving them, that's not love, that's rape.

37. Alex Rivera says:

Thank G-d Yori does not speak for the 100 percent of all Jewry.

38. Alex Rivera says:

Thank G-d Yori does not speak for the 100 percent of all Jewry.

39. I know where the author is coming from. Because evangelicals are instructed to preach the gospel to keep people from burning in hell forever, they are compelled to preach the word. Most believe you're going to hell if you don't believe the same way they do, and because the Jewish people are marked and protected by G-d, many evangelicals feel they have a duty to save or protect G-d's first nation. The reason you may not like them is because no matter how nice they are to you, you know they think you're going to hell. Don't feel bad though, because they think everybody's going to hell, and they try to convert them too.

40. Stuart Kaufman says:

Mr. McIntosh: I say this to you with all due respect. If you proselytize to a Jew, knowing he is a Jew, it is an insult and we will take it as such. Now you are on notice. It is all very nice that you have found happiness and peace within the arms of your faith. If you preach it to me, it will be treated as an insult. There are enough gentiles who are in need of your comfort. Leave us Jews alone.

41. Stuart Kaufman says:

No! What you are preaching is super cession – that somehow the covenant between G-d and the Jewish people has been superseded because we have rejected your messiah. I have news for you. Regardless of all the propaganda, you cannot be a believing Jew and believe that Jesus is messiah. I'm not on my way to "becoming" a Jew. I am a Jew.

42. Herman Christoffel Kuun says:

While Christians downplay the fact that Jesus is the English name of a Jew and insist that he came to get rid of the Law Jews have every right to feel insulted. Many today believe that the New Testament is misunderstood by Christians and insist that Jesus actually preached Torah and that gentiles must become part of Israel.

43. Terry McIntosh says:

To Moishe Pubik and Stuart Kaufman: Thank you for sharing your concerns, but you have apparently missed the heart of my comment. Unconditional love means that love abides even when it is rejected. My comment clearly stated that coercing or forcing yourself on someone against their will is wrong, therefore the "rape" reference is not applicable here. Mr. Kaufman, you missed it altogether. I suggested that Christians love Jews and want the best for them from our perspective, and that a loving Jew will respect that and reciprocate in friendship. What is to keep you from sharing your faith in Judaism with the Christian? And I don't intend to sound cruel, but who appointed you as spokesman for the entire Jewish race? There are those Jews who appreciate the Christian love even though they don't believe the story. There are those Jews who embrace Jesus as the Messiah, so for you to assume authority to speak for all Jews is a little over the top, and I say that with respect and love for your well being.

44. Michael I’m one of the Christians who will not covert you if you dont want to convert I know my boundaries brother I’m sorry if I offended you i hope god almighty blesses you and your family

45. Matt Porter says:

I am a Oneness Christian who has a deep love and respect for the Jewish people. They are to this day that apple of G-d’s eye; for the covenant He made with Abraham was an everlasting covenant.

46. Jesus said that He did not come to do away with the Law, but to fulfill it.He said not one jot or tittle would pass away from the Law until all was fulfilled, and that those who taught people to obey the Law would be the greatest in heaven, and those who taught people to ignore the Law would be the least in heaven.

47. Dawn Yonah says:

Your tone sounds much too hostile. And who is "trying" to convert you? If a Christian wants to share their religious beliefs with you, just say, "Thank you, but no thank you." They're not about to slice off your head like a radical Muslim would. No one is putting a gun to your head! I find it embarrassing when you insult them and their beliefs! If you want to do a mitzvah, enlighten your readers about how Islam always has to be superior and will NOT live peaceably in a sovereign Jewish state. Now there's a real threat, even as Kerry and company are arm twisting our government..

48. Evangelical Christians love the Jewish people because we seek to have the heart of God.

49. Dear Stuart (may I call you by your 1st name, please?) I thank you for your honesty; it is GOOD for us evangelicals to hear the Jewish Heart and then to respect it. However, I admit that I do not understand it in MY heart why a Jew feels insulted. In my lifetime I have listened to many different religious opinion in various degrees of strength and persuasion, but I never had a need or urge to feel insulted.

50. I do love Jews, I have several friends in Portugal, my country, and abroad that are Jews, and I must say Yory that you are very difficult to love, but sitll, I love you. Will you hate me for that? Where does all that fear and hate come from ?

51. Stuart, isn't it good that people share with one another what is dearest to their hearts? I am fascinated and so very grateful for all the Jewish comments on this forum because it teaches me so much about The Apple of His Eye – The People of The Book – who preserved the Word of The Almighty even at the cost to their very own lives so that I have the privilege to get to know and to follow Hashem in my own, little, no doubt incomplete, way.

52. Stuart, would you agree with my mental groping, trying to grasp and understand this Jewish abhorrence to having to hear, to listen to Christian expression of their Love for the Jewish G-D and His People, that it has it's roots in the abominable 2000-years-long history of 'Christian' dealings with the Jewish people? THIS I can totally, fully, wholly, understand – and I am equally totally, fully, wholly, S O R R Y for it all!

53. Vicky Cheatham says:

I wouldn't care if the Jewish people hated me for being a Christian, I love them very much because if it were not tor them Jesus would not be here for me. I love Israel and all Jewish people.

54. Stuart Kaufman says:

Ms. de Kroon: my religion cannot exist in the context of yours, regardless of the hocus pocus of those who call themselves "Messianic Jews." When you proseletyze me, you are telling me that you know the "truth" and I don't when, as a Jew, I reject your "truth" and don't want anything to do with it. Just let me be. That's all that I ask.

55. Stuart – in closing even though there is still so much I wish I could express with the right kind of words – before Hashem I just wish to make this deeply honest statement that all 'true' Christians love you, love Eretz Israel, and that we wish you no harm on any level even if our insufficient words cause you to feel 'insulted' at times. Shalom – B.

56. Moishe Pupik says:

Fernando Soares Loja · He didn't say he hated you, he said you annoyed him, and if you kept your beliefs about Jews to yourselves, we could do great things together.

57. Stuart Kaufman says:

By the way, Ms. de Kroon, I am exceptionally grateful to those Christians who give such support to Israel and to the Jewish people. I work side by side with many of them. I just don't want to be proseletyzed. That's all.

58. Moishe Pupik says:

Susan M Khaury · And Jews believe God is entirely formless. So we can co-exist nicely, but we shouldn't talk.

59. Moishe Pupik says:

Dawn Yonah · It's just very annoying, and it limits our ability to communicate. Why must you share your belief with me? I have no urge to do the same to me. Are you so uncertain of you faith that you must have a Jewish person's confirmation before you can live in peace with your god?

60. Moishe Pupik says:

Terry McIntosh – I don't want your perspective. Honestly, I ask you not to share your religious perspective with me, as a show of respect to me. I wouldn't dream of sharing my faith with you. Have you ever been approached by a Jew looking to make you Jewish because he loved you? You need to see that we are upset by your approaches and that they make us unavailable as your friends, when we could have done great things together if only you kept Jesus to yourself. You take Jesus, I'll take God, we should both be happy.

61. Moishe Pupik says:

Herman Christoffel Kuun · Which is the essence of the replacement ideology taht swept the world in rivers of Jewish blood.

62. Moishe Pupik says:

63. Butch Protacio says:

Respect and love yourself then extend to all human and species in
    this planet earth.It feel so gggggoooooodddddd try it…

64. Stuart Kaufman says:

Mr. McIntosh, if anything that I wrote indicated to you that I don't have great respect and affection for those Christians who have given such wonderful support to us, than I did not communicate properly, and I apologize for that miscommunication. What I meant to write was that most Jews whom I know (you are correct, I don't speak for all) do not want to be proselytized – i.e., do not want to be the objects of a conversion attempt. If my Christian friends don't try to convince me to accept Jesus as my savior then all is good.

65. Moishe Pupik says:

Susan M Khaury – But then came Paul and invented the idea of "Carnal Israel" vs, the Church. or Spiritual Israel, and Christians stopped eating kosher, circumcising their children, observing Shabbat, and, most importantly, invented the idea of original sin from which only embracing Jesus can save you.

We don't have original sin. we are born pure and innocent. And we atone for our own sins, by fixing what we damaged.

66. Stuart Kaufman says:

Dawn: believe it or not, I agree with you completely. The first attempt at conversion is met with a polite "no thank you." Anything thereafter is an insult.

67. Moishe Pupik says:

Roasted Locust · You'll be surprised to find out that we spnd no time at all worrying about what you think about us. It's ok, as long as you don't do major pagan stuff, we're good. In synagogue we never discuss you or your religion — we think it's silly. You only bother us when you can't have a normal conversation or debate with us without sticking in how much happier we'd be if only we embraced Mary's kid. well, we don't want to, Live with it.

68. Moishe Pupik says:

David Moises Malkun Paz – Ms. Shapira is wrong, we do believe in the resurrection of the dead, we repeat it as a regular prayer three times a day, four times on Shabbat. We believe it is actually hinted at in the Torah.

69. Stuart, yes, Thank You! Lots of Love from Cape Town!

70. Terry McIntosh says:

Stuart Kaufman: Email is not the best communicator ever invented. I appreciate your response, and further respect your right to chose how and what you believe.

71. Rabbi Joseph – oh, I SO appreciate your comment – Many thanks! Rabbi Daniel's comment made me grin and giggle – ain't it the truth!

72. Sylvie – oh YES – You ARE important – The Bible says so, again and again! Through You, the nations have received the knowledge of The Almighty – and I am one of them. THANK YOU – I love you – B.

73. Jim, WOW!!!! This is EXACTLY how I understand the command of JC! HELLO STUART >> I penned likewise to you but got interrupted each time – grrr!

74. Terry McIntosh says:

Moishe Pupik: Thanks for sharing your perspective and best wishes from here.

I fully support your perspective on this subject! I also do not believe evangelism :)

76. Russ Stern says:

As Tennyson wrote in his 'Vastness':

MANY a hearth upon our dark globe sighs after many a vanish’d face,
    Many a planet by many a sun may roll with a dust of a vanish’d race.

Raving politics, never at rest—as this poor earth’s pale history runs,—
    What is it all but a trouble of ants in the gleam of a million million of suns?

77. Chris Downie says:

…just as there is no truth to your "claim" to Palestine, eh?

78. Hector Ramos says:

“You can’t say you love me for who I am because who I am includes a thorough rejection of the essence of your ideology, all of it, completely, I hold that there’s no truth to it whatsoever.”
    What is “truth,” it’s a simple term to describe. For instance, God is truth. And, is it not true that God commanded the high priest to sacrifice – for the sins of Israel? He said this sacrifice was perpetual for all generations. If this is true, why has the high priest stopped sacrificing for the sins of Israel?
    This is not an “ideology” that can be rejected altogether, completely, is it?
    Does this sacrifice has any truth to it, or is it false and a lie.
    You speak eloquently about the Torah, does it mean Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezequiel, and Daniel lied about what they spoke about? Why, if we know the Torah is the Word of God, why is it that the Talmud overrides it?
    Yes, if you talk about your traditions, I can understand them because it is what the Talmud teaches, but, why is God ignored altogether?
    I was never there when the Talmud was written, nor when Isaiah prophesied to Israel, what I know for sure is that what the Torah says it’s true because I believe it in my heart to be true. Likewise, I never met Jesus in person, nor can I say I met those who wrote about Jesus and his salvation, I was never there, but, if Jesus has no validity in your eyes or of Israel, how can we know for sure of the legitimacy of the Talmud and the Septuagint.
    Furthermore, if what the prophets spoke about is not true, how are we going to prove that the Talmud is also the word of Jehovah Lord of Hosts?
    Every person has the right to draw their own conclusions about what they perceive to be accurate or deceiving, but, can Israel say for sure that God’s word is not his? Can anyone say that the covenant made with Abraham, Moses, and Jacob is not true? And, if it is, why is the Law of Moses invalidated; for, it if it had meaning, why is Israel not following the sacrifices of animals as God commanded them.
    I think your emotion is articulated well, and is also highly expressed “You can’t say you love me for who I am, because who I am includes a thorough rejection of the essence of your ideology, all of it, completely, I hold that there’s no truth to it whatsoever.” But, the “there’s no truth to it whatsoever” leaves an abyss full of doubts.

79. You are totally correct sir! Hebrew Christians and "Completed Jews" are just terms coined by Evangelicals to deceive unlearned Jews. And Judaism is not the single root to Christianity. Not remotely.

80. Martin Luther had designs on converting the Jews with his theology because he thought our rejection had to do with Catholic doctrine. When he found that wasn't the case, he became the biggest anti-Semite. Hitler even took some of his suggestions as he confiscated all Jewish property. So what I'm saying is that some of these Christians start out loving us because they think we're just not informed of the truth. When they discover we are quite aware of their theology and reject it still, the anti-Semitism comes out.

81. David Ben-Zion says:

A beautiful exposition as always Rabbi. :)

82. I thought the Jewish nation was chosen because they were few in number and G-d heard their cry while slaves in Egypt. Also because the Lord made a covenant with Abraham, that in Isaac his descendants would be name. and the Messiah would come forth out of the tribe of Israel. Is it not also true that the Lord G-d drove out other nations before them, as those nations practiced detestable and abominable things, which the Lord G-d for Israel not to practice. We christians dont believe in homosexual relations as they are an abomination, yet I hear some rabbis actually practice this, so where is the strict adherence to the Torah and the laws? Christ came to fullfill the laws, we believe that condoning homosexual relations are mocking Christ sacrifice which He did once, so that we could gain eternal life. when we come before the throne of mercy and acknowledge our wrong doing and we ask forgiveness in the name of Christ, and we are forgiven solely for the redeeming work which Christ did for us while we were yet sinners at Calvary. G-d bless.

83. herman you are right though, as when we believe in Christ our hearts are circumcized and God sents His holy spirit into our hearts which convicts us of sin, and of judgment, and points us to the grace which is in Christ Jesus our Lord, who makes the Lord G-d of Israel known to us. shalom

84. roasted that is not true for all of us as we are not to say who is going to hell and who is not as we do not know the hearts of mankind, Only Christ knows what is within your heart, and therefore circumcizes our hearts, as G-d chastises everyone whom He receives to show what is not good within us.

85. Stuart Kaufman well you either believe Christ and His Word or you reject Him and His Word, do you also reject the prophets of old, like Jeremiah chapter 31 verse 31, and I would like to ask you what Isaiah meant by the "preserved" of Israel in chapter 49 verse 6. you sound like the pharisees who constantly tried to entrap Christ in His message. shalom

86. well yes you are important, and no one is asking for you to change your Jewishness. I dont think I would want others to change the nationality into which I was born either. It is a matter of the heart, Christ put a love for Israel into our hearts, as their rejection became our salvation, therefore I guess some of us like to share the joy of His salvation with you and others.

87. Sylvie then why would David say "Though I walk through the valley of death I shall fear no evil, thy staff and thy rod comfort me." Christ compares Himself to the Good shepherd who conquered death for us, the last enemy to be destroyed. who will lead you through the valley of death if you do not believe that Christ is the Resurrection and the Life?"

88. I will not keep my faith to myself. Christian s are called by Jesus the Christ to tell and make disciples. So there is you reason why! PS there a lots us Christian s who are Hebrew that placed trust in Jesus. We don't lose our ethnic identity because you do not like that…..

89. moishe pupik says that when you ask someone to leave you alone and they tell you they love you just the same that is a form of rape. I intend to agree, I have a friend who someone turned into a christian but I learn more from him, when he speaks about his Jewish heritage then when he pretends to be a christian. To force someone to become a christian I am not for it, as the Lord G-d knows who are His.

90. Bruce Killey says:

I think Terry McIntosh said it best. Our job as Christians is to love Jews, and the rest of humanity in the name of Jesus. There is undoubtedly a special place in all our Christian hearts for the Jews and for Israel. That's why we get on this forum. Not to say that Israel always does right with minorities in Israel. Christians need to engage intelligently with these difficult issues.

91. Bruce Killey says:

92. Koshiro Seki says:

The thing is whether you think Christians are idol-woshippers or not. I think that worshipping Jesus Christ is idol-worship and therefore it is against the Noahide Laws. I don't hate Christians, but I am against Christianity.

93. Good read. I’m just gonna say it: all they care about is bringing back JC and converting the heathens. As frustrated as I am with liberals, I’ll never trust the evangelicals.

94. To all the Christians who love Israel, demonstrate that love. Help build and protect the Jewish State by volunteering in VOLUNTEERS FOR ISRAEL. http://www.vfi-usa.org

95. Moishe Pupik says:

James Arthur White II ·Which means you're a rude person. You don't love me, you don't even know me, you certainly don't care what I think or want. In short, just another white dude. we've seen your kind since the first Greek set foot in Israel. This is why God invented that wonderful, scared phrase, to be used only when the occasion truly calls for it: "Go f*** yourself." And I mean it in a good, loving way.

96. Joseph Sanchez says:

I'm a CHRISTIAN and I love ISRAEL unconditionally. I can only pray that ISRAEL loves me that way too! But is it not a fact that in the end ALL will come to know THE ABSOULTE TRUTH no matter how we feel or what we think See heaven is a wonderful place that my family and I pray that we spend eternity there!. ARE WE NOT WELCOMED?.

97. Moishe Pupik says:

Joseph Sanchez · If we'll come to know everything in the end, how can you already know heaven is a wonderful place? Did you hear from anyone who's been there and brought with them evidence?

What's wrong with just living a decent life here, on earth? Here is where the biggest adventure is — God has gone into all this trouble, to create a universe where there's the possibility of evil, so we get a chance to live a moral life — and all you want to do is check out?

98. Moishe Pupik says:

Sientje Seinen · In the eyes of the Torah, homosexual sex between men is equal to the desecration of Shabbat, which is Saturday. If you drive your internal combustion vehicle (fire) on Shabbat, the sin is EQUAL in punishment to having homosexual sex in the city square. Look up the story of the man who collected wood on Shabbat, in the Torah. he gets killed, but there's no story of a homosexual getting killed.

In other words, before you ask Jews questions about their law, you need to familiarize yourself with it to the point where you can carry an informed discussion of it.

Why not simply avoid a discussion of our religion with us, and let's talk about things that we can accomplish together, as moral people, for our communities? Instead of chasing after homosexuals to stop them from doing this or that to each other — chase after the homeless to give them a dollar or two. and so on.

99. Moishe Pupik says:

Hector Ramos · To say "God is truth" is as meaningful as to say "Kabachanka is truth." You don't know a thing about God, not an itzy bitzy tiny thing. Now, i don't begrudge you your ignorance, but why must you heap it on me? Why do you wish to drag me into conversations about things you do not understand at all? Can't you just accept that I don't want what you're offering, keep it all to yourself, enjoy it in good health, and let's remain friends?

How insecure can these people be, that only if a Jew tells them they're right do they find rest.

100. Joseph Sanchez says:

Who can go to heaven and who will not???
    That answer and authority is strictly reserved for GOD and not man! PERIOD!
    Time to pray, shall we my brothers and sisters. Amen

101. Bill Wingard says:

Jews don't believe in heaven, you can keep my share for yourself.

102. Joseph Sanchez says:

Did not Enoch bring back wonderful news about heaven? Jesus said so too but you don't like Jesus! BECAUSE the word of GOD tells me that heaven is so! Is not heaven the destination of every Jew and Christian? How can you think that you can think for me, that is far from the truth No one mentioned checking out. It is apparent that you make friends far and few! Do you not understand that jealousy and envy is a curse brought on by a ill heart, which causes a man lack of sleep and impairs ones judgment. Let us pray for GODS LOVE and not argue! Are you even capable of that. My words are not harsh but loving, now who is GOD pleased with?

103. Hector Ramos says:

Moishe Pupik, I am not the one who offered the discussion about "Must Jews Dislike the Christians who like Them?" It was you. Certainly as you express your ideals and beliefs with complete freedom, so am I, when I commented on your article. And, how did you come to the conclusion that my intention was to drag you into a conversation you choose not be part of; I am not offering you anything at all. Why would I impose my opinion on you for? It serves me no cause; however, I felt compelled to make certain points — that, you, completely ignored. Be that as it may, I would like to clarify that I am not interested in offering you what Evangelicals offer, or are trying to give. The eloquent way that you, however, wrote your article, does ask for your readers for a rebuttal. I'm sorry that I was not able to express my understanding of the Torah as you would have expected – due to my "ignorance" as you pu it. But, in good health, would you be kind and just explain why there are no more sacrifices, when, God said it would be perpetual for all generations? I'd actually like to know this. And, may I recommend and invite you to, avoid certain words, like "IGNORANT." We could have a much better dialogue — without them. I don’t think I have been disrespectful, so, a certain level of decorum would be much appreciated.

104. Shalom I agree with what you have said. I am an ex-christian and since I am learning Hebrew and understanding what the little i do They dont understand what this language means.. When I started to see and understand the difference I choose to go the Jewish way. I Love the Chummash, It explains very clearly the difference between the the christian way and the truth of the Torah.

105. do you realy think that the christians are your friends that just want your best ??? they are fullfleged ovdei avodah zara al pi rambam. they pray to a pessel of a human that died and call him their eternal creator…. there is no end to this vomit…. this ain`t just avodah zara ba-****uf like some want to put it , but avodah zara mamash ! ok, they can do this outside of eretz israel but that doesn`t change the fact; even if they do it out of ahavah. their love for you is in reality the love of hate like the love of a crimainal for crime. they don`t want you but want to change you into them because they don`t love you as you are (before they kill you like in the inquisition) i realy don`t see the difference between the christaians, real islam and the zionists.their hate/sina comes from the hate against Torah at kabbalat ha-Torah at sin-ai and its kedusha and can just be cleaned (like the yetzer hara and the clipot shel tuma) by their hurva (from herev, har horev) by din .the onliest thing that we can do to have a shield is limud ha-Torah and to be shomer Torah we-mitzwot and not behaving like them.

106. Ursula Groom says:

I am saddened to see that the person before me refers to my beliefs as "vomit". The problem in the world today and forever is that people do not know how to fully respect eachothers beliefs because everyone wants to have the right way and believe it is the only way. Why can't we pass on the street and greet each other? Why is there so much judgment ? Perhaps we could all respect each other and have faith that the way we live our lives is good enough to get us where our beliefs say we will end up.
    If no one tries…nothing will change

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear

God Bless!

107. Moishe Pupik says:

Joseph Sanchez – are you familiar with the concept of projection?

108. i`m sorry. i wasn`t attacking you personally , but those that are on a holy missionary war against all other religions. you are free to do what you want as long as you don`t want to impose your ideas on others.

109. Scott Baum says:

I doubt the author really knows many Evangelical Christians. I have been fortunate to work with many at Memphis Friends of Israel, http://www.memphisfoi.org
    They are all genuine friends of Jews and supporters of israel. I have spoken with many Jewish friends who are uncomfortable with Christian support. Their explanations of why they reject Evangelicals is always unfounded and illogical. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it should be an informed one. I suggest reading "Standing with Israel' by David Brog. This book systematically debunks all of the perceived problems Jews have with Christian support. There may be many issues on which we disagree but why not agree on the things we have in common and accept support from people that are on our side? Are we that shallow that if we disagree on several issues we have to disagree on the areas where we have common ground? I hope not

110. Colette Brownell says:

Thank you for this article.

111. Joseph Sanchez says:

Being in GODS favor is the best that a man can ever be, but, nevertheless he will always be just a man. Let us celebrate this good news, let us pray that this be the goal of every man. May the LORD our GOD be with us all. Well wishes to you, your family and all men.

112. Moishe Pupik says:

Scott Baum · I highly recommend reading the article above, now that you've entered your comment.

113. Sientje Seinen, I like you. You're kind. But even if we don't say we know who's going to hell, we think it. If you don't believe a person has accepted Christ, you believe they're going to hell. Of course, what a person thinks doesn't necessarily determine how they treat others, but you could see how our beliefs about others could affect the way we treat others. Then again, if we think others are going to hell, we should be extra nice to them in the here and now. It would be just wrong to mistreat others when you know they'll get it even worse down the road. Compassion comes in many forms though I guess.

114. Joseph Sanchez says:

My friend, many mountains can be moved with kindness and unity. I believe that a arrogant heart destroys this vital necessity. If we are to obey GODS commandments, have we not sinned for not loving our neighbors. As I wake in the morning, I gladly find myself on my knees in prayer, for I believe that prayers on knees are received as priority. As night falls and I fall asleep, there too I must get on my knees and pray, yes there too, in my dreams, there where the desires of my heart dwell, so that my desires of my heart are PLEASING to GOD. Come join me and let us pray for pleasing and unselfish desires, without arrogance and any prejudice nor ill thought.

115. You sound positively idiotic. He tells you he doesn't like you yet you still lick his boots?

116. Well, at least the truth comes out. Nothing that already didn't know. But despite this revelation that Jews in fact don't like Christians, just their money, I see the boot lickers (Shabbos Goyim) are out to worship their masters.

117. Roy Neal Grissom says:

You have some problem with Shabbos, Wulfric? You an evolutionist or something, O great defender of Xians?

118. Chelsea Playcharacter says:

It is only the last 60 years that Christians were our friends. What happened before that?

119. Actually, Rabbi, that would be perfect. Since "evangelical Christians" loyalties lie with you and not their own kind, they might as well convert. As far as the rest of us are concerned, they are already Jews, just not Jews on equal footing.

120. Actually, Rabbi, that would be perfect. Since "evangelical Christians" loyalties lie with you and not their own kind, they might as well convert. As far as the rest of us are concerned, they are already Jews, just not Jews on equal footing.

121. Roy Neal Grissom says:

I was near the end of a marvelously witty, erudite, and irrefutable response to the author when the page hiccuped and I lost everything. I doubt this attempted recreation will come anywhere near to making the points my original attempt did.

1)Evangelical and Fundamentalist Xians like the Jews for the simple reason of BIBLICAL SENTIMENTALISM. While there are no Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, or Assyrian Nestorians in the Bible, there are certainly Jews. The Jews therefore possess an irrefutable Biblical authenticity that no other religion does or can possess. To love the Bible is therefore to love the Jews, the only undisputed Biblical people and religion. What's so hard to understand about that?

2)Jews are not the only people who object to Evangelical/Fundamentalist proselytization. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and members of the ancient ethnic churches of the Middle East are every bit as opposed. Indeed the way some of them react when they find an Evangelical tract under their windshield wiper is quite something to see. Like Yori, they boast of their “ancient heritage” and the bigotry of “fundies” who don't recognize their legitimacy. Of course, these same people turn around and defend Evangelical proselytization of Jews, which logically destroys their own anti-proselytization arguments, but they never quite see it this way for some reason.

3)I note that the same Jews who disdain American-style Fundamentalist Protestants are nevertheless addicted to somehow earning the good will of the Vatican and of Catholics—this despite the fact that the Catholic Church (and all the ancient churches) have always denied that the Jews would return to their Land and have always (and still to this very day) support the PLO and the Arabs. Now, in light of this the Jewish attachment to the “respectable” Xians seems most unusual indeed. However, I understand that there are “reasons” for this.

3a)One is that the ancient churches do not proselytize. True, they no longer do this because they long ago degenerated into purely ethnic religions and no longer believe anything. But they still oppose Israel at every turn, and they tell their members that their ecumenical “dialogues” with Jews is for the purpose of converting them to Xianity. Are their Jewish admirers aware of this? Or do they not even care? Also, some Jews see the "indigenous" Xians of the Middle East as fellow victims of islamic intolerance. However, those fellow victims have never returned any support and are in fact the most anti-Semitic Xians in the entire world.

3b)The other reason is that the ancient churches subscribe to modern Biblical criticism and Jewish ecumaniacs believe that by associating with such people they will hide the dirty little secret that Orthodox Judaism has a fundamentalism of its own (thanks to JP for making this knowledge public via the give and take over Rabbi Meiselman's book). After all, let's admit it: the notion of Jews being identical to the people who invaded and massacred whole populations at the express commandment of G-d has long been superseded by the modern Jewish mystique as a nation of free-thinking, irreverent intellectuals who divide their time between winning Nobel physics prizes and performing dirty standup routines. By avoiding people who still see Jews as Biblical Hebrews and hanging with Biblical skeptics many Jews hope to hide their own fundamentalism and affirm the modern Jewish stereotype. Though with the Meiselman controversy and others like it, one must wonder how long Orthodox Jewish fundamentalism will remain hidden.

4)But then we come to the root of the whole problem. Mr. Yanover resents the fact that Evangelicals won't pretend that they don't believe their religion is true (like everyone else does) and don't pay obeisance to post-enlightenment liberalism and “democracy” as the be-all and end-all of everything (er…except when it comes to moslems, in which case Evangelicals become Thomas Jefferson's most enthusiastic disciples). He defends Torah-observance as a lifestyle choice which must be protected from the very notion of an objective religious truth and which can only exist in the sewer of modern democracy. Why else does he make such a big deal of the Evangelical position on abortion (which, by the way, is not the original Evangelical position on abortion but which has been absorbed from Catholicism). Yori, my friend, you don't have a “right” to observe Torah. You have an obligation to observe it. And the Jewish mission was never at any time to secularize the world so that the Torah could be defended as though (lehavdil) it were some sort of de-criminalized deviancy. Their mission has always been to bring the world to HaShem and His Laws. And those laws, Yori, defines when and under what circumstances abortion is a crime or an obligation. Yet you implicitly call for the continuation of the current status quo in which there must never be a single restriction on abortion because (supposedly) if they can tell you you can't kill your baby whatever the circumstances, they can tell you you can't lay tefillin. Do you have the slightest idea of how such an argument sounds? Try saying it to your mirror sometime.

Judaism is not secularism. It is not enlightenment religious liberty. It is a Theocratic State in exile. True, it is not medieval Xian Europe, but it isn't Hellenistic democracy or Bill of Rights America either. It is something else altogether, absolutely unique in all the world and throughout all history.

Conclusion)The only Jewish response to the current precarious situation is Torah observance and spreading devotion to HaShem, the only True G-d. And why does such a policy seem so “un-Jewish?” Precisely because of the adoption of the secularist/religious liberty ideology as THE justification and even the raison d'etre of the practice of Judaism. I believe that the adoption of this enlightenment ideology as the quasi-official ideology of the Jewish exile is leading to tragic consequences for everyone.

And Israel itself is far from perfect. Do you think the fact that Halakhah doesn't determine who is a Jew or when one can have an abortion is something to be proud of? Or the fact that Israel is the most “gay” friendly country in the Middle East (which doesn't change the fact that radical homosexuals continue to support their fellow “oppressed” Arabs rather than the country that seemingly gives them everything they want)? How do you know that some of the trials Israel experiences aren't Divine punishment for these very things? I suppose making Israel more Jewish is also “un-Jewish?”

I'm so disappointed, Yori.

122. Barbara Foerster says:

Wow!

123. Moishe Pupik says:

Roy Neal Grissom · I think you're dumping on Yori Yanover a lot of stuff he never said here. Yori is definitely an Orthodox Jew, lives in Israel and believes in turning Torah law into the state's legal system. He thinks that would liberate the country and permit people to pursue their individual goals without the repression of a secular government.

Yori's views on abortion and gay marriages and Shabbat and all the other issues you mentioned start from the approach that halacha is always a process that begins with the individual. One person who isn't certain what to do in a given case, and he or she approach their teacher, master, the person they've adopted as their spiritual and religious guide, and they ask them. Jewish halacha is not a fatwa imposed from above.

Yori has been an advocate of getting Muslim and Jewish men of the cloth to discuss how to calm the tensions between their faithful in the region. He believes that while politicians can't possibly do much good, men who truly love god and human beings should be able to communicate, with God's help.

I think Yori also admired the Evangelicals for their good contributions to this world, and would like nothing more than to cooperate with them for the good of all of society. He doesn't even begrudge them their demonstrations outside clinics, etc. He just thinks their time could be better used building something or feeding someone, or adopting children who are born into depressing situations. And he knows Evangelicals do probably more than most in these areas, too. He'd like to see even more.

The only thing, really, Yori is asking for is to be left alone on the Jesus thing. Please, be his friend, love him, and listen to him when he tells you that He's turned off by your relentless preaching. How hard is that?

124. Scott if you don't understand why Jews distant themselves from evangelical Xtians then you really don't understand or know anything about Judaism. Jews do NOT have "common ground" with Xtians. Evangelical Xtians may "like" Jews, but it's only so that they can befriend and inevitably proselytize upon them. Xtians "like" Israel and support it because they believe that if enough Jews return to their homeland in addition to converting Jesus will return and "finish the job". Xtians have become so desperate in converting Jews that it has spawned off a new cult of Messianic "Jews" (ultimately Xtians) in which case Xtians will disguise themselves as Jewish so that they can infiltrate Jewish communities and seek after poor educated Jews and get them to believe that they can accept Jesus and still remain "Jewish". EVILgelical Xtianity is Spiritual Terrorism.

125. There is no truth in Xtianity. Nice to see so many Xtians on a Jewish news website.

Posted to Twitter in Ferguson, MO by St. Louis County Police: "Bricks thrown at police, 2 police cars burned, gun seized by police. Tonight was disappointing."  Their motto is, "To protect and serve."
Prosecutor in Ferguson Case: ‘Witnesses Lied Under Oath’
The annual  Chabad menorah lighting in Sydney has been called off this year because of the murders in the Lindt cafe.

The decision to not publicly light the Menorah in Sydney, epitomizes the eternal dilemma of Judaism and Jews in the Diaspora.

Greiff-112814-Men

Am Yisrael is one family, filled with excruciating pain&sorrow for losing the 4 kedoshim of Har Nof

Two dreidels from the author’s extensive collection.

What is its message of the dreidel?” The complexity and hidden nature of history and miracles.

Keeping-Jerusalem

Police play down Arab terrorism as mere “violence” until the truth can no longer be hidden.

The 7 branches of the menorah represent the 7 pillars of secular wisdom, knowledge, and science.

Obama obtained NO verifiable commitments from Cuba it would desist from acts prejudicial to the US

No one would deny that the program subjected detainees to less than pleasant treatment, but the salient point is, for what purpose?

For the past six years President Obama has consistently deplored all Palestinian efforts to end-run negotiations in search of a UN-imposed agreement on Israel.

It’s not an admiration. It is simply a kind of journalist fascination. It stands out, it’s different from more traditional Orthodoxy.

For Am Yisrael, the sun’s movements are subservient to the purpose of our existence.

Israelis now know Arab terrorism isn’t caused by Israeli occupation but by ending Israeli occupation

Anti-Semitism is a social toxin that destroys the things that people most cherish and enjoy.

Amb. Cooper highlighted the impact of the Chanukah/Maccabee spirit on America’s Founding Fathers

Zealousness has its place and time in Judaism; Thank G-d for heroic actions of the Maccabees!