March 26, 2015 / 6 Nisan, 5775

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Orthodox Women May Stand to Lose Under Sharansky’s Proposal

If it is the sole solution to women's rights at the Kotel, an egalitarian section at the Kotel will ultimately make things harder for Orthodox feminists who are trying to assert their rights within a Halachic framework.
hasidic women

Fourthly, attempting to set up a women’s only group in a larger egalitarian space, even if theoretically viable, would presumably be incredibly uncomfortable in terms of constantly having to explain that men are not welcome, that no devarim she b’keduhusha may be said, that we are not a minyan, and that we toe a Halachic line which nobody else there does. And lastly, though the men at the Kotel and everywhere else may think that the mechitzah is there for them, in truth it is there for me as a woman. Or at least just as much for me as it is for them. I don’t want men wandering around in my prayer space any more than they want me wandering around in theirs, they serve as a distraction and interfere with my kavanah (concentration during prayer).

The first time I visited Israel, about 15 years ago, I davened Shachris at the Kotel, wore my tefillin, pulled my coat hood up over them, and didn’t really think much of it. I got a few strange looks but was basically left alone. On a Friday night a number of years ago I can recall dancing at the Kotel, in a circle with a number of other singing women, after about 15 minutes one women suggested we were getting a bit loud and disruptive, not the best feeling in the world, but a far cry from getting arrested or having a chair thrown at us. Today I would be terrified to wear tefillin at the Kotel. And I am honestly not sure if that is because of the rightward trend in Israel in general, or because WoW has politicized these actions to such an extent that at the Kotel there is now zero tolerance for them, maybe a bit of both.

Having experienced firsthand this shift what I wonder is this: if Sharansky’s plan is implemented what will happen in the future when I go to Kotel with my lulav and esrog on Sukkos? In the past nobody has cared and women have even asked to shake it. Will I now be told to go to the egalitarian section if I want to daven with them? I won’t even bother to ask about davening with my tefillin in the women’s section, that ship has clearly sailed. My genuine concern is whether this plan, which asserts the rights of the liberal denominations, will ultimately lead to a backlash that completely erodes the rights women do have in the women’s section today? And what will that mean for those of us who call the women’s section home?

I understand the decision WOW made in supporting the Sharansky proposal, however in so doing they have chosen solidarity with the liberal denominations and have betrayed the Orthodox women, who were, and are, huge supporters of the organization and for whom an egalitarian section does absolutely nothing. In the frequently asked questions section of the WOW website, WOW says,

The women are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, and self-defined Jews. WOW is unaffiliated with any group, religious or political, and is the only group in the Jewish religious world that brings together Jews from across the religious spectrum for the purpose of prayer.
In accepting this compromise WOW has forged an alliance with the progressive denominations over their allegiance to the sisterhood of women, resulting in factionalism within their own support base and thus cannot assert that statement anymore. An egalitarian section will do much to grant comfortable access to many people, but if it is the sole solution to women’s rights at the Kotel, it ultimately will make things harder for Orthodox feminists who are trying to assert our rights within a Halachic framework. While this proposal may be a victory for many Jews I love, and I am joyful for them, it comes at the expense of my rights and my freedoms.

About the Author: Shayna B. Finman is a graduate of the Drisha Scholars Circle, studied in the Pardes Kollel and at Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo in Jerusalem. She served as the first female Congregational Intern at Ramat Orah on Manhattan's UWS, taught Jewish Law in Israel and worked at JOFA and DOROT, both in Manhattan. Growing up she was a student of the late Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach z"l. She currently works as a personal chef and boutique caterer in NYC focusing on Farm to Table organic kosher cuisine.

11 Responses to “Orthodox Women May Stand to Lose Under Sharansky’s Proposal”

1. Charlie Hall says:

I'm glad someone is finally pointing this out!

2. Charlie Hall says:

I'm glad someone is finally pointing this out!

3. I feel as if the concerns of WOW are going unnoticed; these women want the right to daven as women, with other women, in tallitot and tefillin, which are mutar. I don't get it.

4. Sadly, one is reminded of the old joke about the shipwrecked Jew found on an island who has built more than one shul so that he would have at least some synagogues he would never attend. One can almost picture more ways to slice the Kotel space. We Jews are oh so famous for divisiveness.

5. WOW' agenda is very radical. Anat Hoffman, WOW leader says she wants the Mechiiza down and convert the Wall in to a National Monument. Does the write support this proposal.

6. Charlie Hall says:

The Kotel was not a place for communal prayer until 1967. Dismantle the mechitzah and return it to the status it had prior to 1948. If someone wants a minyan, let them go to one of the many synagogues in the Old City.

7. Stephen Leavitt says:

Or Har HaBayit

8. Shayna, I was wondering if you wrote this post before the Jerusalem District Court decision on April 26, 2013? If so, would that decision change your opinion? Thank you.
    Joel Alan Katz.

(See: Women of the Wall Win Major Victory in District Court.
    Police Appeal Rejected, Women’s Prayer Does Not Disturb Public Order, Does Not Violate Law http://ow.ly/kpzll ).

9. Rachel Cohen says:

well put. a sound and clear viewpoint. taking everyone into consideration.

10. Ahron Ebert says:

Why pray with a group? I would perfer to daven alone. What is this need you have to wear tafillon. My life would be easieer if I did not have to put them on every day. It is traditonall Orthodox who have made the Kosel a place to pray shouldn't they have a say in its rules? Also, you think it is good to associate with people who do not observes Judaism. Why don't you also invite Christion woman to come pray with you. Other than Orthodox you list of different religions are no diffirent than Christiany. You are williing to give up your frumkeit by associate with these deniers of Torah me Sinai so you can have a pray goup. I laugh at your describeing the moser nefesh these woman go throught to be at The Wall by 7am once a monthh.Miss feminist men do this every day and do not think it is a hardship.

Jon Karl of ABC asks White House Press Secretary, "Yemen is a model of US strategy?"
White House Insists Chaotic Yemen a ‘Model’ for Obama’s War on Terror
Safran-032715

Too rarely appreciated for its symbolic weight; it can represent freedom and independence.

Erica Pelman is a spiritually-driven woman. She is founder and director of “In Shifra’s Arms” (ISA), an organization that offers aid to pregnant Jewish women of all religious backgrounds practically, financially and emotionally. Its arms are open to any pregnant woman in need whether single, divorced, separated, or from a financially-strapped family. “Presently, we are […]

Gerstenfeld-032715

Many so-called “humanitarian NGOs” frequently abuse Israel by applying false moral equivalencies

Bibi0303.jpg

Israeli history now has its version of “Dewey Defeats Truman” with headlines from 2 anti-Bibi papers

In God’s plan why was it necessary that Moses be raised by Pharaoh, away from his own family&people?

In their zechus may we all come to appreciate that life is a fleeting gift and resolve to spend every precious moment of it as if it were the last.

In any event, Mr. Netanyahu after the election sought to soften his statement on Palestinian statehood and apologized for what he conceded were remarks that “offended some Israeli citizens and offended members of the Israeli Arab community.”

A worthy idea any way you look at it.

There is something quite distinctive about the biblical approach to time.

The Waqf kept control of the Temple Mount due to Dayan’s “magnanimity in victory” after 6 Day war

The event promotes “1 state” solution (end of Israel as a Jewish State), BDS, lawfare against Israel

I rescued you?! You’re doing me a favor letting me help you!

“Tzedakah tatzil mi-mavet: Charity saves from death”; No death & a tax break? Where do I sign up?

InsideIL targets MBA students at 12 of America’s top programs for its paid Israel summer internship