October 20, 2014 / 26 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Orthodox Women May Stand to Lose Under Sharansky’s Proposal

If it is the sole solution to women's rights at the Kotel, an egalitarian section at the Kotel will ultimately make things harder for Orthodox feminists who are trying to assert their rights within a Halachic framework.
hasidic women

Fourthly, attempting to set up a women’s only group in a larger egalitarian space, even if theoretically viable, would presumably be incredibly uncomfortable in terms of constantly having to explain that men are not welcome, that no devarim she b’keduhusha may be said, that we are not a minyan, and that we toe a Halachic line which nobody else there does. And lastly, though the men at the Kotel and everywhere else may think that the mechitzah is there for them, in truth it is there for me as a woman. Or at least just as much for me as it is for them. I don’t want men wandering around in my prayer space any more than they want me wandering around in theirs, they serve as a distraction and interfere with my kavanah (concentration during prayer).

The first time I visited Israel, about 15 years ago, I davened Shachris at the Kotel, wore my tefillin, pulled my coat hood up over them, and didn’t really think much of it. I got a few strange looks but was basically left alone. On a Friday night a number of years ago I can recall dancing at the Kotel, in a circle with a number of other singing women, after about 15 minutes one women suggested we were getting a bit loud and disruptive, not the best feeling in the world, but a far cry from getting arrested or having a chair thrown at us. Today I would be terrified to wear tefillin at the Kotel. And I am honestly not sure if that is because of the rightward trend in Israel in general, or because WoW has politicized these actions to such an extent that at the Kotel there is now zero tolerance for them, maybe a bit of both.

Having experienced firsthand this shift what I wonder is this: if Sharansky’s plan is implemented what will happen in the future when I go to Kotel with my lulav and esrog on Sukkos? In the past nobody has cared and women have even asked to shake it. Will I now be told to go to the egalitarian section if I want to daven with them? I won’t even bother to ask about davening with my tefillin in the women’s section, that ship has clearly sailed. My genuine concern is whether this plan, which asserts the rights of the liberal denominations, will ultimately lead to a backlash that completely erodes the rights women do have in the women’s section today? And what will that mean for those of us who call the women’s section home?

I understand the decision WOW made in supporting the Sharansky proposal, however in so doing they have chosen solidarity with the liberal denominations and have betrayed the Orthodox women, who were, and are, huge supporters of the organization and for whom an egalitarian section does absolutely nothing. In the frequently asked questions section of the WOW website, WOW says,

The women are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, and self-defined Jews. WOW is unaffiliated with any group, religious or political, and is the only group in the Jewish religious world that brings together Jews from across the religious spectrum for the purpose of prayer.
In accepting this compromise WOW has forged an alliance with the progressive denominations over their allegiance to the sisterhood of women, resulting in factionalism within their own support base and thus cannot assert that statement anymore. An egalitarian section will do much to grant comfortable access to many people, but if it is the sole solution to women’s rights at the Kotel, it ultimately will make things harder for Orthodox feminists who are trying to assert our rights within a Halachic framework. While this proposal may be a victory for many Jews I love, and I am joyful for them, it comes at the expense of my rights and my freedoms.

About the Author: Shayna B. Finman is a graduate of the Drisha Scholars Circle, studied in the Pardes Kollel and at Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo in Jerusalem. She served as the first female Congregational Intern at Ramat Orah on Manhattan's UWS, taught Jewish Law in Israel and worked at JOFA and DOROT, both in Manhattan. Growing up she was a student of the late Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach z"l. She currently works as a personal chef and boutique caterer in NYC focusing on Farm to Table organic kosher cuisine.

11 Responses to “Orthodox Women May Stand to Lose Under Sharansky’s Proposal”

1. Charlie Hall says:

I'm glad someone is finally pointing this out!

2. Charlie Hall says:

I'm glad someone is finally pointing this out!

3. I feel as if the concerns of WOW are going unnoticed; these women want the right to daven as women, with other women, in tallitot and tefillin, which are mutar. I don't get it.

4. Sadly, one is reminded of the old joke about the shipwrecked Jew found on an island who has built more than one shul so that he would have at least some synagogues he would never attend. One can almost picture more ways to slice the Kotel space. We Jews are oh so famous for divisiveness.

5. WOW' agenda is very radical. Anat Hoffman, WOW leader says she wants the Mechiiza down and convert the Wall in to a National Monument. Does the write support this proposal.

6. Charlie Hall says:

The Kotel was not a place for communal prayer until 1967. Dismantle the mechitzah and return it to the status it had prior to 1948. If someone wants a minyan, let them go to one of the many synagogues in the Old City.

7. Stephen Leavitt says:

Or Har HaBayit

8. Shayna, I was wondering if you wrote this post before the Jerusalem District Court decision on April 26, 2013? If so, would that decision change your opinion? Thank you.
    Joel Alan Katz.

(See: Women of the Wall Win Major Victory in District Court.
    Police Appeal Rejected, Women’s Prayer Does Not Disturb Public Order, Does Not Violate Law http://ow.ly/kpzll ).

9. Rachel Cohen says:

well put. a sound and clear viewpoint. taking everyone into consideration.

10. Ahron Ebert says:

Why pray with a group? I would perfer to daven alone. What is this need you have to wear tafillon. My life would be easieer if I did not have to put them on every day. It is traditonall Orthodox who have made the Kosel a place to pray shouldn't they have a say in its rules? Also, you think it is good to associate with people who do not observes Judaism. Why don't you also invite Christion woman to come pray with you. Other than Orthodox you list of different religions are no diffirent than Christiany. You are williing to give up your frumkeit by associate with these deniers of Torah me Sinai so you can have a pray goup. I laugh at your describeing the moser nefesh these woman go throught to be at The Wall by 7am once a monthh.Miss feminist men do this every day and do not think it is a hardship.

Agam Luria, from a kibbutz in the Jezreel Valley, was identified as one of the four Israelis killed in the Nepal blizzard.
Israeli Sherpa ‘Pony Express’ Saved Hundreds in Nepal Blizzard
Map of Syria-Turkish border area, pinpointing Kurdish border town of Kobani, just taken by ISIS terror forces Oct 7, 2014.

Turkey and Iran the 2 regional powers surrounding the ISIS conflict gain from a partial ISIS victory

The Rosenstrasse area of Berlin, where Jewish husbands of non-Jewish German wives were held.

Emigration from Israel is at an all-time low, far lower than immigration to Israel from Europe.

NY rally against Met Opera's 'Death of Klinghoffer' opera. Sept. 22, 2014.

Leon Klinghoffer’s daughters: “‘Klinghoffer’ is justified as ‘a work of art’…This is an outrage.”

Guess who's behind the door?

Do you seriously think that as you kidnap our children we should medically treat and help yours?

Sometimes collective action against the heinous acts of the majority is not enough. The world should not only support the blockade of Gaza; it must enforce the dismantling of Hamas.

The Arab Spring has challenged Jordan with the task of gradual reform with regard to its monarchy.

Israel offered Syria the entire Golan Heights, only to find that the Syrians were demanding MORE!

Israeli hasbara too can be described at best as pathetic, at worst non existent.

A ‘good news’ story from the Nepal avalanche disaster to warm your heart. Take out your Kleenex.

Journalists see the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as morality play: Israel=evil; Palestine=innocent

Warsaw Ghetto: At its height, the Nazis walled in some 500,000 Jews within the1.3 square mile area.

While police officers face dangers every day on the job, Jews also face danger in their daily lives.

Carter developed a fondness for Arafat believing “they were both ordained to be peacemakers by God”

If Hamas is ISIS, the world asks, why didn’t Israel destroy it given justification and opportunity?

That key is the disarming of Hamas and the demilitarization of Gaza – as the U.S., EU, and others agreed to in principle at the end of Operation Protective Edge.

We have no doubt there are those who deeply desire to present themselves as being of a gender that is not consistent with their anatomy, and we take no joy in the pain and embarrassment they suffer.