The halachic questions I’ve personally received, as well as the issues that come to the Brooklyn Jewish Xperience helpline are shocking and sad.
The yetzer hara is out of control. Young, precious minds have become almost irreparably polluted and marriages and families are being destroyed. Almost every day there is another harrowing chillul Hashem reported in the media.
What’s going on? Why is this happening now?
Works of Kabbalah mention that our entire generation may be a reincarnation of a past generation, so perhaps we are a reincarnation of the generation that lived at the close of the First Temple, which committed unprecedented immoral sins. As the last generation before the rebuilding of the Beis Hamikdash, it is critical therefore, that we rectify these sins and maintain our moral purity.
Rav Chaim Vital said that a single mitzvah performed by the smallest and most spiritually-compromised person in our generation outshines the greatest mitzvah performed by the holiest person of a previous generation. According to the Chidushei Harim, a person from our generation who doesn’t capitulate to temptation brings greater simcha to Hashem than people who acted similarly in previous generations.
We seem to be an unholy generation. Yet, we are living in the most spectacular of times. We – a generation surrounded by unbridled licentiousness – are about to witness miracles and wonders that our holiest ancestors could only dream of.
Rav Chaim Kanievsky has reiterated numerous times that Moshiach is already here, waiting to reveal himself. For reasons unbeknownst to us, our generation was chosen by Hashem to bring the geulah. It may be difficult for us to understand how, but there is something exceedingly unique, extraordinary, and holy about each and every one of us.
We are witnessing age-old prophecies enfold before our very eyes. The following sampling is based on numerous sources, including Navi, Gemara, Medrash, Zohar, Ramban, Rabbeinu Bechaya, Abarbanel, Arizal, and Ohr HaChaim.
- There will be an Islamic revival in the world. Islam will become the fastest-growing religion.
- The Sunni and Shiite split will intensify and cause violence. The Sunni nations will forge an allegiance with America.
- Radical Islam will be led by non-Arab countries, Iran and Turkey.
- Iran will be the greatest threat to peace and be the leading supporter of terror.
- Eretz Yisrael will be the nexus of a world war and be severely threatened. Those residing in Eretz Yisrael will experience tremendous trepidation. However, with Hashem’s help, they will be saved.
- The great war will be a showdown between Iran and America.
- America and the Christian Right will strongly come to the defense of Israel. The Christian Right will rectify the misdeeds of its ancestors and champion the rights of the Jewish people. It will ultimately realize the one G-d and be present for Moshiach.
- The mostly Catholic European countries (i.e., the European Union) will defy America and ally with Islamists. They will support Iran and other enemies to the detriment of Israel.
- The Christian leader of the free world will rectify the heinous sin of destroying the second Beis Hamikdashand be the Koresh of his day, restoring the glory of Yerushalayim and precipitating Moshiach’s arrival.
In short, we are clearly very close to the coming of Moshiach. The Baal Shem Tov said that Moshiach will catch us by surprise. No one wants to greet Moshiach with his “hand caught stealing the cookie from the cookie jar.” We want to greet Moshiach with pure minds and clean souls.
So let’s double down and strengthen ourselves. Let’s take the following steps:
- Stop going through the motions. Don’t be satisfied with being an FFB (Frum From Birth). Become an FFC (Frum From Choice).
- Get a rebbe who loves you.
- Feel connected to Hashem. Daven in a shul that gives you inspiration.
- Connect to the Divine. Learn Torah. Finish as many mesechtos as possible.
- Involve yourself in chesed and kiruv.
- Be there for others who are struggling.
- Make sure to have the Internet filtered in your home and office.
Remember, we are the greatest generation that ever lived! May everyone achieve their tikun and may we be merit to see the glorious days of Moshiach, speedily in our days.