April 20, 2014 / 20 Nisan, 5774
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

When Yeshiva Day School Is No Longer A Viable Option

Brooks-071312

Share Button

Our community rabbis need to step up and be rabbis to the entire community, not just the wealthy. They need to help those who are distressed financially – not by giving money, but by guaranteeing that there are options for the children of financially struggling families to continue to learn.

Our rabbis publicly decry those who put their children into public schools. They continue to preach from the pulpit that we need to give up everything in order to keep our schools afloat, and don’t forget to contribute to the latest Yizkor appeal, and make sure you donate money to Israel, and can you sponsor this program and…well, it just never ends, does it?

But they won’t organize local after-school Judaic programs for the children of their own communities. Do they fear that financially comfortable families will be lured away from increasingly expensive day schools into the public school system? What about “veshinantam levanecha”?

Here you have parents who want to give their children a Jewish education one way or another, and Jewish religious leadership is standing in their way. Not every parent has the background to teach his or her own child. We have a large contingent of families in which one or both parents are first-generation frum Jews. These are the families at the highest risk of being lost if nothing is done.

At the end of the day, it is the responsibility of every Jewish parent to guarantee a Jewish education for his or her children. If parents are able to provide this through paying tuition at a Jewish day school, gezunteheit. But the reality is that this is becoming more and more of a challenge for a growing number of families.

Families unable to give their children an ideal religious education should not be made to feel inferior. On the contrary, we should honor their honesty, respect their desire not to be a burden on other Jews, and help them in every way possible to find a solution so that their children receive a good Jewish education outside the day school system.

Share Button

About the Author: Vanessa Brooks is a frum-from-birth mother of three in Boca Raton, Florida. After years of struggling to pay for day school, she and her husband have made the difficult decision to put their children in a Ben Gamla charter school. She blogs on Jewish education and other topics at www.vanessaceo.wordpress.com.

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

31 Responses to “When Yeshiva Day School Is No Longer A Viable Option”

1. Rabbi's can afford to go away all summer on vacation to Israel. Something we can't afford to do. Disney is full of Rabbi's on Chol HaMoed and Yeishva Break. Rabbi's don't live from hand to mouth, without retirement savings, without vacations and without a life. Perhaps if they lived like us tuition would be more affordable.

2. Stephen Leavitt says:

There's always Israel.

3. As a 22 year old student who attended yeshiva's most my life. It's a very sticky subject on one hand I agree with you and the other hand I don't. Yeshiva instills values and morales but lacks education for the real world. Public schools are wild and a easy place to get lost in. It's very tricky as future parents we will be contemplating theses choices. ( I can assure you that I WILL NOT be sending my children to yeshivas. I will opt for a Hillel/Hebrew academy type schools. There they have successfully created a good balance of secular and judaic studies. Which I believe are both VERY important. Yeshivas focus way to mch on Judaic studies which does not give it's students a fair chance in the "real" world unless there Rich or VERY smart.

P.S if u pay tuition, your always accepted Into yeshiva. Another huge problem.

4. Mark Kahn says:

While I don't disagree that there are problems, Prosper, I too spent a large portion of my life in Yeshiva. And while I did not necessarily fully apply myself while in yeshiva, am not rich, and am not outstandingly smart, I have managed to succeed in the "real" world. I therefore don't think the problems lie in the schooling systems as much as they lie in a child's upbringing and community.

5. Mark Kahn says:

Look at yourself; you succeeded!

6. Vanessa Gross Brooks says:

Moving to Israel because of tuition is not the right reason to make Aliyah!

7. I work in an environment,that has nothing to do with my schooling. I found something that works for me, and took advantage of it! MANY of my friends are not so lucky and are years behind in there schooling.

8. Daniela Kaplan says:

The problems lie in the schools that are not accredited, be they art schools or Yeshivas.. If a school is not pushed to maintain a certain level of academic excellence.. They will not and leave the kids attending this school with limited abilities and skills that are necessary to succeed in the "real world" aka business world/ college etc.. It is important to set a high standard for both Judaic studies as well as academic studies ,in order for students from all financial situations and intelligence levels to find ease in future careers and what not.

9. Daniela Kaplan says:

Lye* * And without skills

10. Stephen Leavitt says:

Hardly the reason.
    Definitely a benefit.

11. Rachel Bat Chava Miriam says:

In Ohio, as in most states, it is possible to have Public School "Released Time", where the students can get religious instruction during the secular school day. http://www.releasedtime.org/sitert/lawsdb/state.cfm?State=OH
    Usually it consists of a small building next to the school property where classes are taught by non-school teachers chosen by the parents. It is especially good for grade-school students.

There are also vouchers available for families in "distressed school districts" that can be used for Day Schools. As a result, some Jewish families have moved to areas with bad public schools so they can get the vouchers.

If we could somehow physically separate specific religious education from the general education topics, the day schools could be set up as "Charter Schools" which do receive state monies.

12. Sadly, we know Vanessa's story. She's been telling it on her blog and in the community for years. There is no question there is a high cost of raising a Jewish family in Boca Raton. Living on "the circle" and sending your children to a Jewish day school requires a significant income. In Vanessa's case, the school was ready to come forward with scholarship monies to insure her children to not lack a Jewish education. Unfortunately, she has chosen to send her children to a public school maintaining that it didn't affect her – 30 years ago.

This public school, Ben Gamla, adds Hebrew to the public school curriculum. There is no mention of anything Jewish as there are many non-Jewish children in the school.

There has yet to be a single child that has emerged from this school and maintained any level of Jewish observance and yet, Ben Gamla is being offered as a solution for Jewish parents. It is not. Just this year, a young boy in Ben Gamla committed suicide. Another was arrested (in school) for drug possession.

If I suggested that you take your entire income and travel to Las Vegas and place a bet on the roulette wheel, you would look at me as if I was crazy.

But if I take my children's future and put it on the spin of an unproven public school with no Jewish education, she would say, there is no other answer.

The tuition crisis is nothing new. It's been covered in the Jewish Press for years as have been the alternatives. What is new is the idea that you can turn down generous assistance and still play martyr.

And for the sick individual who took time to attack the Rabbi's in Boca Raton, as being responsible for this crisis, shame on you.

13. Vanessa Gross Brooks says:

You know nothing about me, other than what I have chosen to put on my blog.

"In Vanessa's case, the school was ready to come forward with scholarship monies to insure her children to not lack a Jewish education. Unfortunately, she has chosen to send her children to a public school maintaining that it didn't affect her – 30 years ago."

I don't know where you got this from. I did not go to public school, I just did not go to a yeshiva, and it certainly was not 30 years ago. In addition, the school has not come forward and offered me money to keep my children there.

The boy who committed suicide, for your information, was a former student at BG, and had already left at the time of his death. I doubt highly that the school was responsible for his suicide, no doubt there were many issues. As for drug possession, at least in a public school environment it is dealt with properly, as are other issues that you might come up with, whereas in yeshivas these problems are often driven under the carpet as if they never happened. Take a good look around at many of the local yeshiva kids, you will see plenty abusing drugs and alcohol.

"Let no person think the Jewish community in Boca drove this family to the public school. She went out banners waving to let everyone know about it."

I have never suggested that the Jewish community in Boca drove my family to public school, only that the high cost of living an orthodox Jewish life has left us with little choice, and that a little less pressure from the pulpit would be beneficial to everyone. At the most, I talked about the reluctance of those who are better off to help those who are in need.

14. It's okay if you contradict what you wrote a year ago. No one on the Jewish Press will note it. The President of the School bent over backwards and did handstands to keep your children in the school.

15. Vanessa Gross Brooks says:

Again, your information is wrong. The president of the school did nothing other than say he hoped our children could remain in the school. We did handstands, and sacrificed further in order to keep them there for one more year. We went through the same channels as every one else who applied for assistance. Not sure why you think otherwise. The issue was the school claiming that they would not allow families back to the school who owed money from previous contracts. When they realized that they would have almost no students if they carried out this threat, they figured out a way to add back owed money into new contracts. That is what happened. Nowhere in my blog does it say otherwise.

16. "Your are making a big deal over one person who made the poor choice to attack the rabbi of our shul, and yet, you apparently have no problem with attacking me, my family and the choices that we have made quite publicly. Shame on YOU."

Now you're blaming me for taking this public? I suppose the Jewish Press FORCED you to take this public so you could be the poster child for parents justifying taking their kids out of yeshiva? For two years you pointed your finger. Imagine if you spent a fraction of that time working towards a solution!

17. Vanessa Gross Brooks says:

You are so not worth a moment more of my energy.Anyone who googles your name, and your alter ego, Tsvi, can see what a nasty piece of work you really are.

18. Interesting that you can't respond in an intelligent fashion. And to think I once offered you a job. What was I thinking? I knew you had money problems but of course, did you accept the simple job? No. Would you have made money? Yes.

19. Vanessa has chosen to block me rather than deal with the frustration of questions she can't answer.

20. First I wasn't attacking the Rabbi of Vanessa's shul. Vanessa and I are members of different shuls and I wasn't even thinking of him.
    at the time I wrote.

I was thinking of the time I was standing behind a good friend of mine who is a Rabbi in the local Kosher market and watched.
    with jealosly as he received his discount on Kosher food because he is a Rabbi.

My Rabbi friends don't every have to pay a nanny on Chol Hamoed when the schools are closed. They don't even pay for a nanny.
    when the schools close a day or a week before a Jewish holiday or when it takes a few days for the school to reopen.

They never go to a job interview and find out Shabbos is a problem. They never have to work to 4:00 on a Friday. Or scramble for.
    a Friday afternoon nanny because school closes at 2:00 on Fridays.

My Rabbi friends can afford to go away for summers to Israel and Chol Hamoed to Disney because they don't ever use vacation time.
    for a Jewish holiday. And they all get more than the two weeks a middle class Jew gets.

When I talk to them it often seems like we talk past each other rather than to each other. Often my Rabbi's friend parent are also.
    a Rabbi and Rebbetzim as is most of their extended family and children. And most of their working friends are not middle class like.
    me but the wealthier set that generously donates to their schools and shuls. And while I certainly am greatful for the tzedekah they.
    give that financially supports the Torah community, their lives don't have the same challenges as the middle class Jew.

I'm glad Vanessa opened up this conversation. And I hope we make it a conversation and not a fight. If anything I wrote gave the impression.
    I was attacking anyone I apoligize as that was not my intention.

21. Sara Farber says:

No, this is not a new problem at all! As a former Yeshiva student, and Boca Raton day school parent, I can vouch for that. And yes, the scholarship system, as part of the global economy, is surely broken in communities across the U.S. Prosper, this includes "Day school/Hillel/ HA as well as "Yeshivot"! This is just one more of the challenges facing Religious families trying to raise their children in the diaspora. Stephen, you are absolutely right! While the cost of Jewish education is not the reason to make Aliyah, being able to raise and educate your family among Jews in our homeland is! Aliyah certainly should at least be part of any discussion related to this, and other challenges facing Jewish families! TIME TO COME HOME!

22. And besides… Now with Syms closed and Daffy's closing — there is less of a reason to LIVE in the States!!!

23. Gail Kowal says:

You are correct Michael, the Rabbis don't have the same challenges as the non rabbi folks…they have different ones. Perhaps a day or two in their shoes would really open up this conversation. Truth be told I am one of those people who can't afford kosher food anymore, heck I can barely afford food at all. I can't afford new clothes for yom tov we manage to get a few new things once or twice a year, and many years ago when I divorced I could no longer afford to send my kids to Jewish day school. Thankfully they have done well in public school but I regret that decision to this day. I know exactly what you mean about talking past each other…

24. Gail Kowal says:

Even without money for the religious lifestyle- I still have unshakable emunah in Hashem.

25. For anyone at least in Boca who has issues affording food BRS has a program for the community called Tomchei Shabbos that delivers food to people in honerable way.

Otherwise we need to work on ways of helping people find employment who need it. If self employment isn't working out get the resume out there. If it needs tweaking tweak it.(I've tweaked a few for friends and they all got jobs) We all need to remember the best way to give tzedakah is to help someone get a job. So networking in the community is a mitzvah

26. wow i hope i am not one of your rabbi friends.

27. You better not be because you'd be responsible for the tuition crisis. Reb Zalman Bukiet, it's all your fault. What a moroff!

28. Kevin Dawson says:

This whole thing reminds me of when we sent our son to a special private school because of his symptoms of Autism and ADHD. 10 years ago, it was quite a hit to pay out 12K a year. Yet we sacrificed what we had to in order to make it happen.

29. Gail Kowal says:

Thank you for that information, I'll look into it.

30. Rabbi Zalman Bukiet I hope you still are my friend. One of the hardest part of dealing with issues like this is how to have an honest and frank conversation about this issue without offending each other. For both Rabbi's and lay people this is a highly sensitive issue. Obviously Rabbi's especially in the field of chinuch are sensitive not only to the implied criticism of how they work but also the discussion of their salary, and lay people are frantic about the crushing expense of supporting the current educational system. There is not a easy, simple or obvious solution to this issue and we will need to continually remind ourselves of the mitzva to judge others favorably when feeling inadvertently get hurt as we go over this issue

Rabbi you have known me enough years to know I am not always the most eloquent speaker but I hope you also know that I am sincere

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
BDS targets Zabar's; Carole Zabar promotes BDS proponents.
All in the Family: BDS Protests Zabars; Carole Zabar Promotes BDS
Imam Suhail Webb who boasted his Muslim community persuaded Brandeis President Fred Lawrence to withdraw an invitation to Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

At Brandeis, much of what counts as Western civilization got cold feet and won’t stand with Hirsi Ali.

Text of anti-Semitic flyer distributed to Jews in Donetsk, Ukraine on Passover 2014.

But the lesson from this meditation is that hidden behind the anti-semitic act is the greatest light.

Yossi Klein HaLevi

As support of their messianic dream, Halevi and Antepli approve dishonoring Hirsi Ali as a ‘renegade.’

matza

If itis a mitzva to eat matza all Pesach, then why is there no berakha attached to it?

When we are united with unconditional love, no stone will be raised against us by our enemies.

The reporter simply reports the news, but it is greater to be inspired to better the situation.

The Big Bang theory marked the scientific community’s first sense of the universe having a beginning.

Freeing convicted murderers returns the status of Jewish existence to something less than sanctified.

“The bigger they are the harder they fall” describes what God had in mind for Olmert.

We, soldiers of the IDF, who stand guard over the people and the land, fulfill the hopes of the millions of Jewish people across the generations who sought freedom.

How much is the human mind able to grasp of the Divine?

Jews have brought the baggage of the galut (exile) mentality to the modern state of Israel.

The Haggadah is an instruction manual on how to survive as strangers in strange lands.

It’s finally happened. New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan reported on her blog that “many readers…wrote to object to an [April 2] article…on the breakdown in peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians,” claiming “[they] found the headline misleading and the article itself lacking in context.” Ms. Sullivan provided one such letter, quoted the […]

Nor did it seem relevant that according to widely circulated media reports, Rev. Sharpton was caught on an FBI surveillance video discussing possible drug sales with an FBI agent.