An Egyptian Court on Saturday postponed the hearing of an appeal by deposed president Mohamed Morsi, the Anadolu Agency reported. Morsi appealed his sentence of 20 years in prison, along with eight co-defendants. The nine men had been convicted of incitement to violence and killing protesters outside the presidential complex.
An anonymous source inside Egypt’s judiciary told Anadolu that the Court of appeals postponed the hearing to Oct. 22, in response to a request by Morsi’s defense team, which said it needed the time to study the prosecution’s memorandum rejecting their appeal.
The case emanated from the bloody clashes on Dec. 5, 2012, in front of the Presidential Palace, between supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi’s opponents. Those clashes resulted in the deaths of 10 people. In April 2015, the Cairo Criminal Court found Morsi guilty, along with 14 other defendants, six of them in absentia.
Morsi was also sentenced to death in April 2015, over a 2011 jailbreak. In June 2016 he was given a life sentence for passing state secrets to Qatar.