Student Union opens ‘hasbara’ room in effort to fill public diplomacy vacuum.
The estate of convicted Nazi war criminal John Demjanjuk again has asked an appeals court to help posthumously restore his U.S. citizenship.
In a filing Monday, Demjanjuk’s estate asked the full 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati to take up the case. In June, a three-judge panel of the court ruled that Demjanjuk’s U.S. citizenship cannot be posthumously restored and that his death made the case moot.
Demjanjuk, a former Ohio autoworker, died in southern Germany on March 17 at the age of 91.
The defense said the American government withheld potentially helpful material and said that the full court must take up the matter.
The defense claimed that U.S. District Judge Dan Polster in Cleveland violated basic fairness by ruling against Demjanjuk’s citizenship appeal without holding a hearing on a 1985 secret FBI report uncovered by The Associated Press. The document indicates that the FBI believed a Nazi ID card purportedly showing that Demjanjuk served as a death camp guard was a Soviet-made fake.
“Fraud is fraud. It does not die” with the death of parties involved, the defense said in its latest filing, reported The Associated Press.
The government argued that the earlier defense filings contained no new information in the matter.
“Over three decades, we have repeatedly rejected Demjanjuk’s challenges to the authenticity of the Trawniki card and fraud on the court,” the court said last June.
Restoration of his citizenship would have enabled his widow to seek Social Security benefits.
A Munich court convicted Demjanjuk last year on 28,060 counts of being an accessory to murder at the Sobibor death camp in occupied Poland. Demjanjuk, who maintained that he had been mistaken for someone else, died while his conviction was under appeal.
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Comments are closed.
10:03am Multiple Rocket Alerts Gush Dan…
The IDF is determined to destroy as many tunnels as possible, eliminating this imminent threat to the citizens of Israel. 23 terror tunnels have been uncovered by IDF forces since July 17th.
IDF operations move forward as more tunnels and rockets are found and destroyed…
Members of congress should experience Israelis’ lives. Bomb Shelter Museum will be in D.C. July 22.
There was concern, since Carmeli was a lone soldier, that not many people would show up for his funeral. But more than 20,000 people showed up.
A 25 year old Israeli was severely injured in a drive-by shooting near Rechalim Junction just after midnight.
US Secy of State arrived in Cairo tonight to pressure Israel into a premature ceasefire with Hamas.
The IDF has released the names of the soldiers killed in today’s attacks.
7 IDF soldiers were killed in battles with Hamas since last night.
Palestinian Authority President Abu Mazen met Monday with his senior coalition partner, chief Hamas Terrorist Khaled Mashal, to discuss ceasefire options in Gaza. Meeting in Doha, Qatar, Israel Radio reported that Abu Mazen told Mashal that Hamas should accept the Egyptian ceasefire proposal. The report cited the Palestinian Ma’an newswire, which suggested the international community […]
Gen. Sami Tourjeman, commander of the IDF Southern Command, said Monday the tunnels from Gaza represent an existential threat to Israel, and that a country determined to survive must fight this infrastructure. According to a report on Israel Radio, Tourjeman added that soldiers have no “Iron Dome” to protect them, and that they must rely […]
Security forces continue to destroy Hamas infrastructure, unearth preparations to murder Jews
Nothing infuriates Palestinian supporters than the suggestion that anti-Israel sentiment is fueled by anti-Semitism. Truth hurts, sometimes.
Netanyahu said: “The IDF is making progress in the field according to plan and the operation will be expanded until the goal is achieved – restoring quiet to the citizens of Israel for a long period.”
Rwandan Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation Louise Mushikiwabo toured the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council Monday, accompanied by Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman. The foreign ministers visited the situation room at the regional council, observed the Iron Dome missile defense system in action, met with soldiers at Kibbutz Zikkim, and visited a home damaged several days […]
A chief rabbi of the Netherlands said unidentified individuals hurled stones at his home in what he said was the second anti-Semitic attack on him in a week. Rabbi Binyomin Jacobs said the latest attack took place at 5 a.m. Thursday, when two stones were hurled through a window of his home in Amersfoort. An earlier incident outside his home […]
Police in Berlin say about 1,000 demonstrators, most of them Palestinian, held an unregistered march protesting Israel’s actions in Gaza. Up to ten demonstrators were arrested for breach of the peace and for trying to forcibly free others already arrested in Saturday’s melee, a police spokesperson said. Rocks were thrown during the disturbance and a police officer was struck but […]
Leftists talk “peace” in Tel Aviv, but Arab family won’t accept condolence visit from Peres
38 year old man beaten with metal bars; Third of Malmö residents from Muslim-majority countries
A Jewish-Muslim family from Syria escaped from the country’s civil war to Israel.
From Australia to Argentina, Jewish communities mourn latest Palestinian atrocity.
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/demjanjuks-estate-bids-again-to-restore-his-citizenship/2012/08/16/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: