web analytics
August 21, 2014 / 25 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event



Demolition Showdown Not Averted in Gush Etzion

Two other communities, in Samaria, still face demolitions this week.
Demolition in the Samaria Jewish town of Yitzhar, April 2014.

Demolition in the Samaria Jewish town of Yitzhar, April 2014.
Photo Credit: Flash 90

UPDATE: 11 buildings in Maaleh Rahavam were destroyed.

Settlers in Gush Etzion were preparing to face down government forces over demolitions of homes in their area; a Supreme Court order allegedly stopped them Wednesday morning

But a reporters from the Tazpit news agency tells The Jewish Press tractors are still on site at Ma’aleh Rehavam at this hour. Some 250 security forces are still evacuating people from their homes, while Arab contractors pack up their belongings.

Soldiers lined up to destroy Jewish homes in Maaleh Rehavam.

Soldiers lined up to destroy Jewish homes in Maaleh Rehavam.

By Tuesday night, settler youths had already gathered around Ma’aleh Rehavam in anticipation of a confrontation with IDF and other security forces over the impending demolitions.

A High Court of Justice order to demolish 28 buildings in Judea and Samaria by May 18 that were said not to be constructed according to code or built “on private Palestinian land” was stayed in the case of Ma’aleh Rehavam, according to a post on the Arutz Sheva website.

“To our great joy, at this stage the forces have received instructions backed by a Supreme Court ruling to cancel the evacuation due to a claim by residents and presentation of the concrete evidence that they have purchased the land,” said David Perl, head of the Gush Etzion Regional Council.

However, two other Samaria communities still are at risk, with structures in Ramat Gilad near Shechem (Nablus) and in Givat Asaf in the Binyamin region both on the agenda for demolition.

The leftist Peace Now organization, which in the past received funds from the European Union, has been the driving force behind court orders to evacuate and demolish Jewish homes and community structures in Judea and Samaria.

Similar demolition orders are rarely issued, let alone carried out against the thousands of illegally-constructed Bedouin and Arab structures dotting the Israeli landscape within the 1949 Armistice lines (known as the “pre-1967 lines.) They are never carried out against the hundreds of thousands carpeting the hillsides in the  territory of Area C.

About the Author: Hana Levi Julian began her career in journalism out of boredom while earning a BA in Mass Communication, creating a news department at SCSU's radio station because all the disc jockey positions were filled. In addition to her former position as a Jewish Press columnist and senior correspondent and editor at Arutz-7, Ms. Julian has written for Babble.com, Chabad.org and numerous other media outlets.


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

No Responses to “Demolition Showdown Not Averted in Gush Etzion”

Comments are closed.

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Current Top Story
An IDF patrol along the Gaza border.
Ground Op on Horizon with Emergency Orders to 10,000 IDF Reservists
Latest News Stories

The White House has unblocked the weapons shipment to Israel that they had recently blocked.

Rocket remainder

10:58pm Negev 10:32 pm Eshkol 9:38 pm Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ashkelon Coast 8:47 pm Modiin-Maccabim-Reut, and area. Iron Dome Interception. 8:46 pm Beit El 20:00 pm  Iron Dome downs two rockets over Be’er Sheva; three others explode in open areas. 19:42 pm     Two warnings of rockets in Be’er Sheva, warnings of rockets Hatzerim , site […]

An IDF patrol along the Gaza border.

The IDF readies what it does not want unless there is no alternative – a deep ground invasion of Gaza. Hamas also is ready.

If “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” Diaspora Jews are in big trouble.

The security cabinet authorised Thursday the emergency call-up of 10,000 IDF reservists. Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Israel would continue to pursue Hamas leaders anywhere and at any time, and added that the current campaign would “take time.” Ya’alon called on the Israeli public to display patience and strength while the army deals with the […]

The Jewish community in Belfast, Northern Ireland is bracing for violent backlash as the city prepares for an appearance by radical British MP George Galloway on Saturday night. Last month, Palestinian supporters smashed windows twice at the Belfast Hebrew Congregation following a pro-Palestinian demonstration in the city. Now, representatives for Galloway say the 1,000-seat Ulster […]

Israeli school year will begin as planned, and schools “are prepared for any security-related events.”

Gaza workers continue to search for the body of Hamas military chief Mohammed Deif after an IAF air strike August 20.

PA Arabs stoned an Egged bus near Halhoul, north of Hebron Wednesday. The attack took place near the site where the bodies of Eyal Yifrah, Gil-Ad Sha’ar and Naftali Fraenkel were discovered on June 30. No injuries or property damage were reported.

Non-stop rockets on south; Yadlin: Hamas rocket stockpiles dwindling.

Prime Minister Netanyahu praised joint IDF, Shin Bet efforts ending in terror deaths.

Three more terrorists killed in IAF air strike on Sheikh Radwan section of Gaza City Thursday.

One Israeli man was wounded Thursday making sure children escaped rocket fire in time.

Raed al-Attar was an extremely dangerous, sophisticated Hamas terrorist. But he is dead.

Royal Jordanian Airlines has again canceled flights to Tel Aviv over fears of rocket fire from Hamas.

More Articles from Hana Levi Julian
Rabbi Shai Piron (L) and Yair Lapid, Yesh Atid party chairman. (archive)

Israeli school year will begin as planned, and schools “are prepared for any security-related events.”

Site of IAF air strike on Mohammed Deif, chief of the Izz a-Din al-Qassam military wing of Hamas, who was meeting August 20, 2014  at the al-Dalou home in Gaza City with two commanders.

Gaza workers continue to search for the body of Hamas military chief Mohammed Deif after an IAF air strike August 20.

Prime Minister Netanyahu praised joint IDF, Shin Bet efforts ending in terror deaths.

One Israeli man was wounded Thursday making sure children escaped rocket fire in time.

Raed al-Attar was an extremely dangerous, sophisticated Hamas terrorist. But he is dead.

Royal Jordanian Airlines has again canceled flights to Tel Aviv over fears of rocket fire from Hamas.

Three top Hamas military commanders were killed in overnight air strike by the Israel Air Force, the Shin Bet has confirmed.

Ramallah-based PFLP head Khalida Jarrar was “deported” to Jericho by IDF troops on Wednesday for incitement against Mahmoud Abbas.

    Latest Poll

    Do you think the FAA ban on US flights to Israel is political?






    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/demolition-showdown-averted-in-gush-etzion-or-not/2014/05/14/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: