Student Union opens ‘hasbara’ room in effort to fill public diplomacy vacuum.
A Nazi-crimes agency in Germany will launch an investigation of 50 alleged former Auschwitz guards living in the country.
Following a precedent set by the successful case in 2011 against John Demjanjuk, the Central Office for Clarification of Nazi Crimes will begin reviewing cases in the coming weeks, according to reports from the German WAZ media group. The aim is to prosecute the individuals on charges of accessory to murder.
The alleged guards, all about 90 years old, live throughout the country, the reports said.
“The renewed effort to bring camp guards to trial is a very positive step, which hopefully will yield positive practical results,” Efraim Zuroff, chief Nazi hunter for the Simon Wiesenthal Center, told JTA in an email. But given the age of the suspects, he added, “the legal process will have to be expedited to the extent that that can be done.”
The Simon Wiesenthal Center’s Operation Last Chance, which has been stepped up again in Germany as a result of the Demjanjuk verdict, offers rewards for information leading to the conviction of Nazi war criminals.
Kurt Schrimm, who heads the Ludwigsburg investigative agency, recently told Oberfalz.net that the Demjanjuk case boosted efforts to find former camp guards. Demjanjuk, who was convicted in 2011 as an accessory to the murder of nearly 29,000 Jews at the Sobibor death camp in Poland, was sentenced to five years in prison. The case was on appeal when he died in March 2012.
The Demjanjuk case allowed courts to go after war criminals who enabled others to commit murder. There were no direct witnesses to Demjanjuk having physically committed murder himself.
Schrimm told reporters Sunday that now “any job in a concentration camp is sufficient evidence towards a conviction as accessory to murder.”
Zuroff told JTA he had met with representatives of the Central Office for Clarification of Nazi Crimes in Ludwigsburg and they agreed that the Demjanjuk case “should be the basis to bring death camp guards and members of the Einsatzgruppen [mobile killing squads] to trial.”
The Ludwigsburg office conducts investigations and presents evidence to the court but does not file charges.
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Comments are closed.
Bibi’s cabinet unanimously rejected Kerry’s ceasefire proposal, but still considering 12-hour break.
Hamas exploited the fog of war: they did not kidnap Shaul Aron, he was killed in action.
1st Sgt. Yair Ashkenazi, Reserves, (36) HY”D, was killed this morning during operations in northern Gaza.
11:45am Rocket alerts, including Tel Aviv and Lod. The smell of a Cease fire is in the air. 11:47am 07-25-2014 Ramla, Lod 11:47am 07-25-2014 Tel Aviv – Yafo , Bat Yam, Bnei Brak / Givaatayim / Petach Tikva, Dan coastal plain, Kiryat Ono, Elad, Rosh Ha’yin, Ramla, Lod, Shoham, Kfar Chabad 11:47am 07-25-2014 Tel Aviv […]
Chabad has provided a list of all the soldiers injured so far in Operation Protective Edge, so you can add them to your prayers.
We’re waiting to hear back if there will be a cease fire this afternoon. The terms grant Hamas political legitimacy.
11:10am Massive number of rocket alerts: 11:10am 07-25-2014 Herzliya, Raanana, Emek Hefer, Kfar Saba, Sharon / Gaash 11:09am 07-25-2014 Herzliya, Raanana, Emek Hefer, Kfar Saba, Sharon / Gaash, Ashkelon 11:09am 07-25-2014 Herzliya, Raanana, Ashkelon, Emek Hefer, Kfar Saba, Sharon / Gaash, Ashkelon 11:09am 07-25-2014 Herzliya, Raanana, Ashkelon, Emek Hefer, Kfar Saba, Sharon / Gaash, Zikim […]
The IDF has released a list of senior Gazan terrorists who have been taken out…
Thousands of Israelis in Turkey have been trapped there due to the war with Gaza.
Abbas faces the acid test of his clinging to power, but he is forced himself into a lose-lose-corner.
Golani 12 Platoon commander, Shai Siman-Tov, was seriously injured yesterday,
The IDF has begun to systematically tear apart the roots of the Hamas terrorist infrastructure
Amb. Ron Dermer takes on CNN’s coverage of Hamas, and wins.
A chief rabbi of the Netherlands said unidentified individuals hurled stones at his home in what he said was the second anti-Semitic attack on him in a week. Rabbi Binyomin Jacobs said the latest attack took place at 5 a.m. Thursday, when two stones were hurled through a window of his home in Amersfoort. An earlier incident outside his home […]
Wave of anti-Semitic graffiti, physical attacks spreads, this time to University of Oregon
Police in Berlin say about 1,000 demonstrators, most of them Palestinian, held an unregistered march protesting Israel’s actions in Gaza. Up to ten demonstrators were arrested for breach of the peace and for trying to forcibly free others already arrested in Saturday’s melee, a police spokesperson said. Rocks were thrown during the disturbance and a police officer was struck but […]
Leftists talk “peace” in Tel Aviv, but Arab family won’t accept condolence visit from Peres
38 year old man beaten with metal bars; Third of Malmö residents from Muslim-majority countries
A Jewish-Muslim family from Syria escaped from the country’s civil war to Israel.
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/german-office-to-investigate-50-suspected-auschwitz-guards/2013/04/08/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: