web analytics
August 29, 2015 / 14 Elul, 5775
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post


Holder of Possible Nazi-Looted Art Treasure Trove Now Cooperating

The son of a dealer in Nazi era looted "degenerate art" has agreed to cooperate with a commission investigating whether much of his huge trove or artwork was stolen from Jews and other victims of the Nazis.
"Berlin Street Scene," by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, is one of the more than 1000 allegedly Nazi-looted paintings found in 2012 in the apartment of  Cornelius Gurlitt.

"Berlin Street Scene," by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, is one of the more than 1000 allegedly Nazi-looted paintings found in 2012 in the apartment of Cornelius Gurlitt.
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

The man who hoarded hundreds of objects of art allegedly stolen from Jews by the Nazis has reportedly agreed to comply with an investigation, and to relinquish ownership of any art demonstrated to be stolen.

Cornelius Gurlitt was discovered to be hoarding in excess of 1000 pieces of artwork on his property, more than half of which the German government believes may have been stolen by Nazis from Jews during World War II. Gurlitt, whose father, Hildebrand, was a notorious dealer in Nazi-looted art, claims that only perhaps three percent of his artwork might have been stolen.

The entire collection was removed from Gurlitt and is currently in the possession of a special task force assembled to determine whether the art was stolen.

“He is committed to the voluntary return of any looted art,” German Culture Minister Monika Grütters told German broadcaster 3sat. “We are very pleased that we were able to reach an agreement with Mr. Gurlitt and his lawyers, regardless of the ongoing criminal proceedings.”

A joint statement issued Monday, April 8, by the Bavarian Minisry of Justice, the German Culture Minister’s Office and a Gurlitt representative said that Gurlitt has agreed to cooperate with the authorities in an effort to determine whether Nazi-looted artwork is in his collection, reported the German news source Deutsche Welle.

The treasure trove was discovered in 2012 when the German authorities were investigating tax irregularities of the 81 year old Gurlitt. After the initial tranche was discovered, a second one was found on another property owned by Gurlitt. The collection includes works by Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Paul Klee and Max Beckman.

During the Second World War, Gurlitt’s father was permitted to trade in what was then known as “Entartete Kunst“(degenerate art), that is, modernist art which was considered “un-German” or Jewish Bolshevik in style.

The huge collection of art was seized by authorities in 2012 who were investigating a tax case, but the incident only became public last November. The trove included works by Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Franz Marc, Paul Klee and Max Beckmann.

In February, the now-elderly Gurlitt filed a lawsuit against the German commission tasked with making a determination of the legal status of the artwork. Gurlitt claimed his privacy and other rights were violated by the investigators and also that they and no one else had any legal right to the artwork but him.

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools. You can reach her by email: Lori@JewishPressOnline.com


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

5 Responses to “Holder of Possible Nazi-Looted Art Treasure Trove Now Cooperating”

  1. great kirchner painting.

  2. great kirchner painting.

  3. JoAnn Morris says:

    It’s about time.

  4. Yechiel Baum says:

    What about those which he sold? How to trace it and get it back?

  5. Gary Harper says:

    At least they were never burned. They look well taken care of. It would have been a catastrophe for mankind if these works had disappeared. I saw photos of the official state-approved Nazi art exhibition. It was lacking in interest. This stuff (Jew and Russian untermensch-inspired degenerate works) is the real deal. When the Nazis displayed it to try to disparage it, it was one of the greatest and best-attended exhibitions of its time. Nothing like angst to bring out the true artist.

Comments are closed.

Current Top Story
Swiss Amb. to Iran Giulo Haas presents his credentials to Iranian Pres. Rouhani
‘US and Iranian Cartoon Doves’ Shown Defecating on Bibi by Swiss Amb to Iran
Latest News Stories
Swiss Amb. to Iran Giulo Haas presents his credentials to Iranian Pres. Rouhani

Swiss Ambassador Portrays U.S. and Iran as doves of peace defecating on Netanyahu.

Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton.

He will arrive Sunday and will be “updated on strategic issues,” meaning Iran.

Orthodox Jews fixing an eruv pole in Israel.

The boundary, enabling Jewish students to carry on Shabbat, will be made of plastic “lechies” on utility poles.

The former "Shanghai Ghetto" area, where Jewish refugees lived, in 1943.

The café opened in 1939 and was closed n 1949.

A growing number of Arabs in Gaza are calling on people to burn down Hamas institutions.

An Oxford University professor’s new book uncovers what most Israelis know – that the Americans are not “Wild West” cowboys.

A report by the entity responsible for ensuring the peaceful development of nuclear energy worldwide and the one upon which the world depends for monitoring Iran’s nuclear activity revealed that over the past few months Iran has been working on and adding to a building at its Parchin site. Parchin is an Iranian military complex located southeast of Tehran. It […]

Israeli artists build an ice wall at the Davidson Center, near the Kotel in Jerusalem. The wall was based on a piece by American artist Allan Kaprow who built something similar in Israel, in 1980, perpendicular to the Temple Mount. Photos by Yonatan Sindel / Flash90.

About 30 protesters from the Jewish Defense League on Wednesday evening stood at a picket line holding Israeli and Canadian flags outside billionaire Bernard (Barry) Sherman’s north Toronto home during his cocktail fundraiser for the Liberal party.

Mughassil, 48, is believed to be the leader of the Iran-supported Hezbollah Al-Hejaz group.

The Donald and the Cruz together against Iran on Sept. 9 at D.C. rally.

Iranian born Tennor Ramtin Ghazavi, a frequent performer at Italy’s La Scala, on Tuesday told San Jose Mercury News that the Islamic revolution that removed the Shah in 1979 “takes a dim view” of most musical forms, including opera.

For a state that goes out of its way to discriminate in favor of one group, Israel receives high grades in treatment of immigrants of all colors and creeds, beating out the UK, the US and Saudi Arabia.

If the administrative orders weren’t undemocratic enough, police raided a conference discussing those orders, arresting a number of the participants.

DM Ya’alon advises “zero tolerance” in dealing with violence against hareidi-religious IDF soldiers.

Maloney said that despite the administration’s diplomatic efforts, she could not support the Nuclear Iran Deal.

More Articles from Lori Lowenthal Marcus
Swiss Amb. to Iran Giulo Haas presents his credentials to Iranian Pres. Rouhani

Swiss Ambassador Portrays U.S. and Iran as doves of peace defecating on Netanyahu.

State Department Spokesperson John Kirby. Aug. 27, 2015.

A report by the entity responsible for ensuring the peaceful development of nuclear energy worldwide and the one upon which the world depends for monitoring Iran’s nuclear activity revealed that over the past few months Iran has been working on and adding to a building at its Parchin site. Parchin is an Iranian military complex located southeast of Tehran. It […]

The Donald and the Cruz together against Iran on Sept. 9 at D.C. rally.

Maloney said that despite the administration’s diplomatic efforts, she could not support the Nuclear Iran Deal.

190 military officers signed a letter to the Congressional leadership, warning against the Nuclear Iran Deal.

Billboards up in Baltimore calling on Maryland Senators Cardin and Mikulski to vote against the Nuclear Iran Deal.

Tehran ‘rejects the existence of any Israeli on Earth’ and told the P5+1 that during JCPOA negotiations.

How they vote in September (on the Iran deal) will be remembered in November, is the message to US legislators.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/holder-of-possible-nazi-looted-art-treasure-trove-now-cooperating/2014/04/08/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: