UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon) announced Wednesday afternoon it is trying to arrange a return to the ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon that Hezbollah broke with its attack earlier in the day.
One UNIFIL soldier from Spain was killed as a result of the battle launched against Israel from Lebanon by Hezbollah.
Israeli leaders have been discussing how to respond to the attack, termed a “severe” violation by all.
Five injured soldiers were evacuated to Ziv Medical Center in Tzefat, four with light wounds and one in fair condition. Four others were taken to Rambam Hospital, condition unknown, including one civilian. A number of civilians were also being treated at a clinic in Kiryat Shmona for trauma and severe anxiety.
IDF tanks and armored personnel carriers (APCs) were being trucked up to the north by mid-afternoon, local sources reported.
Heads of all security and defense departments are meeting with the prime minister and IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz at the Kirya army base in Tel Aviv. All domestic flights within Israel have been grounded in accordance with security protocols.
Gunfire continues to be exchanged sporadically between IDF and Hezbollah forces across the northern border, although by 3 pm government sources said the situation had “calmed.”
Hezbollah-linked Al Manar TV officially announced the terror organization was responsible for the multi-pronged attack on northern Israel.
While Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned Hezbollah to “look at Gaza” before continuing its attacks, opposition Labor party chairman Isaac Herzog expressed his support for decisions being taken by the security establishment. He told media the terrorists should not make the mistake of thinking that upcoming elections could divide the people of Israel at the bottom line.