Israel provides new proof that cigarette smoking has a bad effect on children.
A woman took her baby, age 18 months, to the Rambam Medical Center in Haifa Saturday night after the toddler chewed up and swallowed two cigarettes.
The mother had left the room and left a package of cigarettes on the table. When she returned, she discovered two filters on the table.
The doctors examined the baby to make sure there were no ill effects from the nicotine, and the baby was released from the hospital after several hours.
“Chewing tobacco can cause vomiting, changes in blood pressure, rapid pulse, incapacitation and even death, said Prof. Yedidya Bentor of the Rambam Institute on Poison. He said eating cigarettes by children is not common.
It is not known if the mother decided to give up smoking following the incident.Jewish Press News Briefs
About the Author: JewishPress.com brings you the latest in Jewish news from around the world. Stay up to date by following up on Facebook and Twitter. Do you have something noteworthy to report? Submit your news story to us here.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.