JERUSALEM – Several terror incidents were registered over the weekend throughout Israel.
Israeli security forces continued to operate over the weekend in the Judea and Samaria region as part of Operation ‘Brother’s Keeper’ to locate the three abducted boys. The forces continued to target Hamas operatives and the organization’s terrorist infrastructure in connection with last week’s abduction.
IDF soldiers have detained ten Hamas operatives and searched approximately 146 locations since Friday morning. Over the past two days, the troops carried out extensive search and rescue missions in the western Hebron area. In addition, security forces conducted operations targeting 15 Hamas institutions throughout Judea and Samaria. Some 200,000 NIS were uncovered at one location, suspected as funding for terror activity.
Arab sources report that two Arabs were killed by IDF fire during the searches. One of them was reportedly mentally ill. He did not heed the call to stop approaching the Border Policemen patrol and was shot – suicide by cop.
Since the beginning of the operation, IDF forces have searched about 1,350 locations for terrorists, illegal weaponry and the abducted boys. The soldiers arrested about 340 terrorist suspects, of which 250 had associations with Hamas. More than 50 of the detained suspects are terrorists released during the Gilad Schalit prisoner exchange in 2011. In total, security forces have operated against roughly 45 Hamas establishments.
“Our activities are ongoing,” said IDF Spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner. “We are combining actions on the ground aimed at locating Eyal, Gilad and Naftali, and systematically targeting Hamas’ terrorists and its ‘Dawa’ civilian support system.” Lt. Col Lerner stressed that the IDF remains determined to bring the boys home while striking the Hamas terrorist organization on all levels. “Hamas’ attack is an attempt to undermine the security and stability of our region,” he said. “They will bear the consequences of their actions.” On Saturday night shots were fired at an IDF post near Adam, north of Jerusalem. No injuries were reported. Late last night IAF forces responded to ongoing rocket fire from Gaza by attacking terror targets. Three terror activity sites in the southern Gaza Strip and one terror activity site in the central Gaza Strip were targeted. Accurate hits were registered. Three rockets fired from Gaza exploded in open areas in the Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council on Saturday night. No injuries or damage was recorded. Since the beginning of Operation ‘Brother’s Keeper’ over 20 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel. Early this morning an Arab terrorist armed with a grenade was captured on the outskirts of the town of Yated, in the western Negev. The terrorist, who infiltrated from the Gaza Strip, was captured by IDF forces who were alerted to the scene. This is the first time in more than a year that a terrorist from the Gaza Strip penetrated into Israel.Aryeh Savir, Tazpit News Agency
About the Author: Aryeh Savir is director of the International division of Tazpit News Agency.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.