web analytics
August 1, 2014 / 5 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
News & Views
Sponsored Post
Visiting IDF bases and receiving briefings from IDF officers. Ultimate Mission – November 2014

Don’t miss this opportunity to explore Israel off the beaten track, feel the conflict first hand, understand the security issues and politic realities, and have an unforgettable trip!



New Yorker Suing Munich Collector for Return of Nazi-Looted Art

By: JTA

A New York man has gone to court for the return of several Nazi-looted artworks from the controversial collection of Cornelius Gurlitt in Munich.

David Toren, 88, whose father and uncle were art collectors in the pre-war German city of Breslau, sued in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., earlier this month to demand the return of the 1901 paintings “Two Riders on the Beach” and “Basket Weavers” by the German-Jewish artist Max Liebermann.

Gurlitt’s father, Hildebrand, purchased the ”Riders” painting in 1942 while working for the Nazis, according to news reports. Hildebrand Gurlitt had told post-war American military authorities that it had been in his family since before the Nazis came to power.

Documents show the painting was among those confiscated by the Nazis from Toren’s great-uncle David Friedmann in Breslau — today Wroclaw, Poland — in 1939. Toren, an attorney, is Friedmann’s only surviving heir. The Nazis noted the Liebermann painting in the collection and in recent years it was listed in German’s Lostart database.

While the younger Gurlitt still possesses the “Riders” painting, he sold “Basket Weavers” at auction to an unnamed Israeli collector in 2000 for about $92,300, Haaretz reported.

Toren, a native of Germany, also is suing Germany and the state of Bavaria for having failed to inform his family of the find after they confiscated more than 1,400 works from Gurlitt in 2012 in the course of an investigation for tax evasion. He had inherited the art from his father, a dealer hired by the Nazis to buy art for its museums, as well as art that it considered ”degenerate” that could be sold for profit.

The “Riders” painting was among those works shown to the public at a news conference in Augsburg last fall, after Focus magazine revealed the find.

According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper, Toren was 14 years old in August 1939 when his parents sent him to safety in Sweden. His entire family, except for one aunt and one brother, were murdered in the Holocaust. Toren immigrated to the United States in 1956 with $100 and a photograph of his parents, the report said.

A task force has been established to research the provenance of all works in Gurlitt’s collection, and Gurlitt’s attorney recently announced that he would cooperate with heirs making legitimate claims.

About the Author:


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

2 Responses to “New Yorker Suing Munich Collector for Return of Nazi-Looted Art”

  1. The Nazis were not only murderers, they were also thiefs and thugs.

  2. Makes you wonder just how many wealthy families in Europe still benefit from the nazi thefts. I'd also like to know just how many Russian billionaires accumulated their wealth by pillaging what was left of the Soviet Empire or how Chinese communist party members used their power to become rich. Seems like the world is full of rich people with unearned wealth. It's time to take inventory and to balance the books.

    I'd like to see this Basket Weavers painting. The depth of meaning in such a simple task would be lost on most audiences. At the very least, it should be in the hands of the rightful heirs.

Comments are closed.

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Current Top Story
caveman cease fire
72 Hour Cease Fire Declared for 8:00AM
Latest News Stories
caveman cease fire

Anyone taking bets on how long this cease fire will last, and how many rockets will be fired up to the last minute?

A site where a rocket hit in Ashdod, July 14, 2014.

As Gaza terrorists continue to ‘carpet-rocket’ Israel, UN chief Ban Ki-moon and US Secy of State John Kerry plan another cease fire.

A mikvah in the archaeological excavation of the ancient ascetic Jewish sect that once made its home at Qumran.

Shuka Dorfman, head of the Israel Antiquities Authority, has passed away at 64 after a serious illness.

There can only be a finite number of tunnels, but the IDF keeps finding more of them…

Israel’s Chief Rabbis give ruling exempting IDF soldiers from fasting on Tisha B’Av.

8:00pm In the mortar attack on the Eshkol region, 10 people were wounded by a Gazan mortar, 6 in serious condition.

Life Lesson #1: Don’t go outside to photograph the Iron Dome system overhead if you don’t have to…

Obama has chosen shaky ally on the way out over strong ally solidly in the American orbit.

“Pro-Palestinian” activists continue to target Jews around the world; Aussie commentator: Where outrage about beheadings in Syria?

An Israeli-Arab Bedouin Sheikh arrives at Beer Sheva Saroka hospital yesterday to distribute flowers to wounded IDF soldiers. Each flower had a note attached to it, “We’re all in this together”.

Tourism Minister Dr. Uzi Landau likens Hamas and Israel with Al Qaeda and the United States; says “no talks with Hamas.”

Video: Residents of Ma’aleh Adumim catch Palestinians illegally entering Israel, report incident to police.

Eight were wounded midday Thursday when Hamas shelled the Eshkol district near the Gaza border.

Tourism Minister Uzi Landau compared Israel’s relationship with Hamas to America’s relationship with Al Qaeda.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu promised Israelis the IDF would destroy all the Gaza terror tunnels “with or without a cease fire.”

More Articles from JTA

A chief rabbi of the Netherlands said unidentified individuals hurled stones at his home in what he said was the second anti-Semitic attack on him in a week. Rabbi Binyomin Jacobs said the latest attack took place at 5 a.m. Thursday, when two stones were hurled through a window of his home in Amersfoort. An earlier incident outside his home […]

Wave of anti-Semitic graffiti, physical attacks spreads, this time to University of Oregon

Police in Berlin say about 1,000 demonstrators, most of them Palestinian, held an unregistered march protesting Israel’s actions in Gaza. Up to ten demonstrators were arrested for breach of the peace and for trying to forcibly free others already arrested in Saturday’s melee, a police spokesperson said. Rocks were thrown during the disturbance and a police officer was struck but […]

Leftists talk “peace” in Tel Aviv, but Arab family won’t accept condolence visit from Peres

38 year old man beaten with metal bars; Third of Malmö residents from Muslim-majority countries

A Jewish-Muslim family from Syria escaped from the country’s civil war to Israel.

From Australia to Argentina, Jewish communities mourn latest Palestinian atrocity.

    Latest Poll

    Do you think the FAA ban on US flights to Israel is political?






    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/new-yorker-suing-munich-collector-for-return-of-nazi-looted-art/2014/03/13/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: