March 27, 2015 / 7 Nisan, 5775
News & Views

Suha: I Tried to Leave Yasser Hundreds of Times

Her mother was against the marriage, Suha said.
Suha (L.) and Yasser Arafat

Suha (L.) and Yasser Arafat

Suha Arafat, the widow of Yasser Arafat, said she tried to leave him “hundreds of times, but he wouldn’t let me.”

Arafat also told the Turkish newspaper Sabah that she would not have married the Palestinian leader had she known how difficult life with him would be.

“My life with him was hard. However, my life without him is even harder,” she said. “It is as if I am walking in a field covered with mines and I have no idea when one will go off. We were married for 22 years; however it felt like it was 50.

“If I had known what I would have to go through; I definitely would not have gotten married. I was with a great leader, but I was also all alone.”

Yasser Arafat died in November 2004. His body was recently exhumed from its crypt in Ramallah in the West Bank at the request of his wife to test his remains for traces of radioactive poisoning.

Suha, who was 33 years younger than her husband, with whom she eloped on her 27th birthday, converted from Christianity to Islam. She said she believed her marriage to Yasser Arafat was her “fate.”

Her mother was against it, Suha said. “Later I understood why. Had I known what I would endure, I clearly wouldn’t have married him … True, he was a great leader, but I was lonely.”

Since Yasser’s death, Suha has received dozens of marriage proposals, but rejected all of them. She now lives in Malta with her 17-year-old daughter Zahwa, on a Palestinian Authority pension of €10,000 ($13,371) a month.

Suha told the newspaper, “Everyone knows how he wouldn’t permit me to leave. Especially those in his servitude, they know very well what it was like.”

JTA content was used in this report.

About the Author:

8 Responses to “Suha: I Tried to Leave Yasser Hundreds of Times”

1. Yehuda Cohen says:

Yes, who would want to stay with someone when there was a real fear of getting aids?

2. Alan Kardon says:

In 2010 the average income in Malta was just below $1800. She gets 13,371 per month. Malta has very low taxes. I have no sympathy for this anti-semite.

3. Tim Upham says:

She left Yasser, when she was holed up in a luxury penthouse in Paris. It was paid for by all the millions he siphoned off in international aid.

What a self-pitying wimp of a human being. She is living in wealth and comfort; on money stolen from illiterate 'palestinians' by her monster husband. What does she mean he wouldn't permit her to leave? Was she threatened with assassination? Why does she not disclose the reasons? It's called 'having your cake and eating it' – why does she not come out with it and expose the monster with whom she.

5. Finally Free says:

Suha the beard had no idea that Yasser Archbandit preferred to play tiger and hyena with his (male) bodyguards ;-).

6. Finally Free says:

The reasons? Well, there was this Egyptian joke "why does the whole Arab world stand behind Arafat? Because none want to stand in front of him ;-)" Suha was Arafat's alibi/beard/"lavender marriage".

And yes, she knows Arafat died of too many injections — of what bodily fluid and up which orifice I don't have to spell out ;-)

7. Harriet Hume says:

Is that true? Please tell me what the evidence is !

8. Harriet Hume says:

Is that true? Please tell me what the evidence is !

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.
Netanyahu to Release Frozen Palestinian Authority Tax Revenue
Latest News Stories
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.

The PA hasn’t changed anything on their end, so why did Netanyahu suddenly change his policy?

Netanyahu and Saudi King Salman.

Obama’s “two-state” phobia shows how much he and his experts do not understand the Middle East.

Rice

Kosher for Passover? Depends who you ask.

The main suspect confessed to passing on information to Syria through the Internet.

Has anyone asked Obama why Netanyahu should even think about agreeing to a Palestinian Authority country?

A U.S. Air Force F-15 warplane dropped approximately 60,000 leaflets over the Syrian city of Raqaa to discourage people from joining the Islamic State (ISIS), the Pentagon revealed Thursday. The “Military Information Support Operations,” propaganda campaign was carried out last week and was the first time the United States has used the tactic in Syria. […]

Israel reportedly wants to change the names to Hebrew, which would affront Muslim sensitivities.

The non-binding vote approves funds for imposing sanctions if Iran violates a deal.

Congress is ‘fed up’ with being left in the dark on the Iran negotiations

While there’s not much snow left, there are bike trails, hiking trails and extreme mountain sleds.

The White House says another foreign policy failure proves Obama is doing something right, but it not clear exactly what.

Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas said Thursday he supports Saudi Arabia’s attack on Iranian-backed Huthi rebels in Yemen Saudi Arabia has been joined by other oil-rich states, including Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the Gulf States, all of whom said that “they “have decided to answer the call of President Hadi to protect Yemen and his […]

The former US envoy to the United Nations writes in the NY Times that bombing Iran is the only way to stop a nuclear arms race.

More Articles from Jewish Press Staff
Officials of the Israel Antiquities Authority and members of the Israeli Caving Club search for finds in the cave.

Three Israeli Caving Club hikers found the cache in a stalactite cave in northern Israel.

Americans have a more favorable view of Netanyahu than they do of Obama.

Israel’s PM Netanyahu was interrupted 40 times with standing ovations in his 40 minute historic speech to the US Congress on Tuesday. Transcript here.

As Purim approaches, thousands of Israeli children and families grapple with poverty

“Israel is the home of every Jew,” the Prime Minister told the Cabinet Sunday.

Rabbis and Jewish leaders soon will take self-defense courses to protect themselves against terrorists.

Most Swedes have never realized that one minority group may expose another minority group to violence and intimidation.

Pres. Reuven Rivlin launches joint project with ‘Collective Impact’ to integrate Israeli Arab workers into private business sector.

Eulogies for the fourth Jewish victims at the attack on a kosher deli in Paris last week were held in Bnei Brak Tuesday.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/suha-i-tried-to-leave-yasser-hundreds-of-times/2013/02/11/