November 24, 2014 / 2 Kislev, 5775
News & Views
IDC Herzliya Campus A Day on Campus

To mark IDC Herzliya’s 20th anniversary, we spent a day following Prof. Uriel Reichman, IDC’s founder and president, and Jonathan Davis, VP for External Relations, around its delightful campus.

Suha: I Tried to Leave Yasser Hundreds of Times

Her mother was against the marriage, Suha said.
Suha (L.) and Yasser Arafat

Suha (L.) and Yasser Arafat

Suha Arafat, the widow of Yasser Arafat, said she tried to leave him “hundreds of times, but he wouldn’t let me.”

Arafat also told the Turkish newspaper Sabah that she would not have married the Palestinian leader had she known how difficult life with him would be.

“My life with him was hard. However, my life without him is even harder,” she said. “It is as if I am walking in a field covered with mines and I have no idea when one will go off. We were married for 22 years; however it felt like it was 50.

“If I had known what I would have to go through; I definitely would not have gotten married. I was with a great leader, but I was also all alone.”

Yasser Arafat died in November 2004. His body was recently exhumed from its crypt in Ramallah in the West Bank at the request of his wife to test his remains for traces of radioactive poisoning.

Suha, who was 33 years younger than her husband, with whom she eloped on her 27th birthday, converted from Christianity to Islam. She said she believed her marriage to Yasser Arafat was her “fate.”

Her mother was against it, Suha said. “Later I understood why. Had I known what I would endure, I clearly wouldn’t have married him … True, he was a great leader, but I was lonely.”

Since Yasser’s death, Suha has received dozens of marriage proposals, but rejected all of them. She now lives in Malta with her 17-year-old daughter Zahwa, on a Palestinian Authority pension of €10,000 ($13,371) a month.

Suha told the newspaper, “Everyone knows how he wouldn’t permit me to leave. Especially those in his servitude, they know very well what it was like.”

JTA content was used in this report.

About the Author:

8 Responses to “Suha: I Tried to Leave Yasser Hundreds of Times”

1. Yehuda Cohen says:

Yes, who would want to stay with someone when there was a real fear of getting aids?

2. Alan Kardon says:

In 2010 the average income in Malta was just below $1800. She gets 13,371 per month. Malta has very low taxes. I have no sympathy for this anti-semite.

3. Tim Upham says:

She left Yasser, when she was holed up in a luxury penthouse in Paris. It was paid for by all the millions he siphoned off in international aid.

What a self-pitying wimp of a human being. She is living in wealth and comfort; on money stolen from illiterate 'palestinians' by her monster husband. What does she mean he wouldn't permit her to leave? Was she threatened with assassination? Why does she not disclose the reasons? It's called 'having your cake and eating it' – why does she not come out with it and expose the monster with whom she.

5. Finally Free says:

Suha the beard had no idea that Yasser Archbandit preferred to play tiger and hyena with his (male) bodyguards ;-).

6. Finally Free says:

The reasons? Well, there was this Egyptian joke "why does the whole Arab world stand behind Arafat? Because none want to stand in front of him ;-)" Suha was Arafat's alibi/beard/"lavender marriage".

And yes, she knows Arafat died of too many injections — of what bodily fluid and up which orifice I don't have to spell out ;-)

7. Harriet Hume says:

Is that true? Please tell me what the evidence is !

8. Harriet Hume says:

Is that true? Please tell me what the evidence is !

View from a section of the Old City of Jerusalem.
2 Jews Stabbed by Arab Terrorists in Old City of Jerusalem
Latest News Stories
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel (L) meets with Israel's Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon in Halifax, Canada on November 22, 2013.

Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon maintains that outgoing US Defense Sec’y Chuck Hagel is a ‘true friend.’

US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel with Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel handed in his resignation Monday to President Barack Obama.

stogether jeep

At one point, one of my platoon mates told me I was hit. I reached back to feel liquid dripping out of my vest…

The weekly cabinet meeting, at PM Netanyahu's office in Jerusalem, on Sunday, November 23, 2014.

Fierce debate, both inside Israel and abroad, has been raging over a piece of legislation that would become a Basic Law. This legislation, dubbed “the Nationality Bill”, would enshrine in law the definition of Israel as a state of the Jewish people.

Two Jews are wounded after being stabbed by Arab terrorists early Monday evening in the Old City of Jerusalem.

Glick said, the Arabs who are sanctifying Al Aqsa and Islam are those Arabs who are saving lives, like those on the hospital staff who treated him.

Lapid has everything to lose and Livni has nothing to lose.

Iran wants to buy more time and Israel, not Kerry, may have to pay the price.

Sometimes we get what we pray for.

Bnei Sakhnin vs. Beitar Jerusalem last night at the Doha Stadium in Sakhnin. Sakhnin won 1-0.

Iran says it won’t make a deal with world powers over its nuclear development program by the Nov. 24 deadline.

Security leaders re-activate a special unit in Israel as Arab rioters injure four police officers in Jerusalem.

The doctors completed their surgery and accomplished what they set out to repair.

Israel’s cabinet decides to clear obstacles for employment of immigrating professionals.

Sheikh Samir Aasi says “I Was Attacked Because Of What I Stand For. These Extremists Don’t Want Relations Between Religions”

More Articles from Jewish Press Staff
Arab butchers in the Har Nof massacre left Canadian-Israeli Howie Rothman in a coma. Above: Rothman and two of his children.

A Toronto synagogue issued a rare Shabbat appeal to help the family.

A new App lets children and adults become virtual archaeologists.

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1)

The new case of a 5-year-old makes it more difficult to fight NY and NJ quarantine policies.

Hamas is still in the mode of “give us a finger and we will take the whole hand.”

The Rabbinical Council of America said that since the arrest last week of Rabbi Barry Freundel of Washington, DC, it has been working assiduously to address the many challenges that its members and their communities now face.

The exhibition includes the largest gold medallion with Judaic symbols known in existence.

The soft-glove approach to campus anti-Zionists is more like a pat on the back.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/suha-i-tried-to-leave-yasser-hundreds-of-times/2013/02/11/