September 4, 2015 / 20 Elul, 5775
News & Views

Forget the Borscht Belt – Go to Monticello, THE Bagel Capital!

Monticello, NY is staging a comeback as The Bagel Capital with a Bagel Festival Aug. 16 - 17 - this effort is the model for how to revive a comatose resort town
The Borscht Belt turns into the Bagel Belt on August, 17, 2013

The Borscht Belt turns into the Bagel Belt on August, 17, 2013

It would be nice to see a severely economically depressed community come back to life.  Throw them a life preserver, in the form of a bagel, and check it out.

Here is the promotional video created for Monticello’s First Annual Bagel Festival:

And Good Morning Monticello!

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools. You can reach her by email: Lori@JewishPressOnline.com

8 Responses to “Forget the Borscht Belt – Go to Monticello, THE Bagel Capital!”

1. WHERE IN MONTICELLO?

2. Lori Lowenthal Marcus says:

Right on Broadway – go to the Bagel Festival link in the story, it will take you to the website for the Festival.

3. Keengz Plaza says:

Oy gevalt? I vant a bialy vith cream cheese. I guess this is the closest I could get to Jewish foods as Kaplan's Delicattessen closed many years ago.

4. Keengz Plaza says:

Vat about some cheese bilintzes? How about some noodle pudding or potato pudding? Zo gut.

5. Alan Kesten says:

But you didn't tell readers that Lori Lowenthal grew up in Monticello! IT WAS A FANTASTIC DAY! Great weather, GREAT PEOPLE! Thank you Lori!

6. I was there for a little while on Saturday…looked like there was a great turnout! Who knew!

7. Perri Boshes says:

wow how cool, I remember great times in monticello, ny where I grew up and lived on broadway in monticello, ny where my dad dr.jack boshes practiced chiropractic in our home office where I worked with my mom and dad and lived with my sister tammi. we ate lots of bagels from monticellos bagel bakery.

8. Jbernie Jones says:

Yea, and the only time I got to see Monticello was when I passed through driving OTR in my truck!

U.S. Senator Ben Cardin (D-DE)
Cardin to Introduce New Legislation to Strengthen Insupportable Iran Deal

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/forget-the-borscht-belt-go-to-monticello-the-bagel-capital/2013/08/14/