The Celebrate Israel Festival on May 31 at Pier 94, slated to be the largest gathering to date of Israeli-Americans in New York.
JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to propose a phased withdrawal from large portions of Judea and Samaria as well as a series of “quality of life” initiatives designed to improve the lives of Palestinians who live in the West Bank and Gaza.
The moves are part of a package, meant to underscore Israel’s seriousness about arriving at a final peace accord with the Palestinians, to be presented later this week when direct negotiations resume in Washington.
Though a majority of Netanyahu’s government coalition members, including Yisrael Beitenu party leader and foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman, do not expect any positive results from the renewed negotiations, Netanyahu has received tacit support from his own Likud Party to offer Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas a comprehensive peace plan.
According to a report last weekend in Yediot Aharonot, President Obama will prod Netanyahu and Abbas this week in Washington and during an upcoming visit to Israel and the Palestinian Authority, to reach a peace agreement in the next 12 months, details of which would be implemented over a 10-year period.
Israel’s Channel 10 News reported Sunday that Netanyahu is likely to offer to withdraw from about 90 percent of Judea and Samaria, nearly 4 percent less than what Israel offered Yasir Arafat in 2000 and about 6 percent less than what Abbas was offered in 2008. Arafat and Abbas rejected the offers.
Both Yediot Aharonot and Channel 10 reported that Netanyahu will offer to swap 3.9 percent of Israeli territory, including portions of the Southwestern Negev near Gaza and perhaps a strip along the banks of the Northern Dead Sea near Jericho, in order to make up the difference offered by previous Israeli administrations.
Netanyahu will also propose a 5-10 year phased withdrawal from portions of Judea and Samaria in order to prevent civil strife with Jewish settlers and test the security arrangements between the IDF and Palestinian forces.
According to the newspaper Yisrael Hayom, one of the more interesting bargaining chips Netanyahu will offer Abbas is the creation of a new direct rail link between Ramallah, Ben-Gurion Airport and the Gaza Strip.
Haaretz reported that Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz had already received initial government funding for restoring and upgrading a pre-state rail link that would run between Jenin, the Jezreel Valley (near Afula) and Jerusalem.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak met with Abbas Sunday night in Amman, hours after meeting with Jordan’s King Abdullah at his palace. Barak returned to Israel to brief Netanyahu between the meetings.
Barak and Abbas reportedly discussed an Israeli easing of security measures in the West Bank, and Barak reiterated Israel’s commitment to the success of the renewed peace talks.
Meanwhile, even as Netanyahu prepared to leave for Washington Tuesday morning, Foreign Minister Lieberman continued to voice skepticism about the likelihood of any meaningful peace agreement – particularly with the Palestinians demanding an indefinite extension of the freeze on settlement construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.
“It’s clear that the two sides are so different – in content, in approach – that it’s hard to talk about a peace agreement within a year,” Lieberman said during a radio interview.
“What have we been doing for the 17 years since Oslo?” Lieberman asked rhetorically. “Suddenly we’re going to reach a peace agreement within a year? I think that the more we can lower expectations the healthier it will be.”
Lieberman said warnings by Palestinian officials that negotiations will proceed only if Israel extends the 10-month building freeze, due to expire Sept. 27, probably doomed the talks before they even began.
“Anyone coming with an ‘all or nothing’ attitude will end up at the end of the day with nothing,” he said.
(Supplemental reporting from INN and JTA)
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Comments are closed.
Rabbi Riskin believes the Rabbinate must be prepared to accept Halachic decisions that aren’t Ultra-Orthodox.
The case also called for banning the sale of French satire magazine Charlie Hebdo and the Liberation newspaper in Egypt over “blasphemy against Prophet Mohamed.”
The Palestinian Authority and its superior PLO organization have totally dismissed Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s overture to sit down and discuss new borders that would leave several settlement blocs under Israel sovereignty. Haaretz headlined on Tuesday a report that Prime Minister Netanyahu told European Union foreign policy adviser Federica Mogherini last week that he wants […]
“In the chaos of the conflict… Hamas…granted its security forces free rein to carry out horrific abuse, amounting to war crimes.”
The Israeli Air Force responded to a rocket attack from Gaza by striking terrorist sites within the Strip.
Information on more than 100,000 US taxpayers was stolen by hackers who breached the IRS.
Hamas terrorist leaders are hiding again as Israel considers a response to Tuesday’s rocket attack.
Efrat Chief Rabbi Shlomo Riskin plans appeal to Supreme Court over fight to stay in his position; city’s mayor also vows support.
European leaders warn that “no deal” is likely between the US-led world powers and Iran by the time talks reach the June 30 deadline.
An Arab vehicle terror attack at the Gush Etzion junction was foiled by Israel Police on Tuesday evening; the terrorist fled towards Beit Fajar, leaving some damage behind.
9:43 PM Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon is currently moving patients to the bomb shelters, just to be safe. 9:37 PM The army has officially confirmed one rocket hit in Gan Yavne. Islamic Jihad has taken credit for the launch, and it was the result of internal fighting within that terror group in northern Gaza. 9:17 […]
The number of Syrian refugee schoolchildren is going to outstrip the number of Lebanese students, a UN envoy warns.
Bomb threats hampered travel for six international flights to Boston, New York and New Jersey over US Memorial Day weekend.
As of Tuesday, all IDF forces operating in Gaza withdrew and redeployed to holding positions around Gaza.
The sophisticated cement tunnels, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, were reportedly built with Qatari government funds.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the nation on Tuesday afternoon that if the rocket fire did not stop by Tuesday evening, he would order “an even harsher” military response.
“They were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Netanyahu said shortly after the bodies were found.
Awad had been released as part of the Gilad Shalit kidnapping deal. Mizrachi’s widow, Hadas, told Israeli reporters that she had opposed the release of murderers as part of any kidnapping deal, and that Awad “deserved the death penalty so he wouldn’t kill again.”
If the abductors’ goal was to force Israeli authorities to release long-serving Palestinian prisoners, the effort backfired as Israeli forces are quickly rolling up what was left of Hamas in the West Bank and are reportedly contemplating the overthrow of the Hamas leadership in Gaza should harm come to the three teenagers.
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/global/bibi-determined-to-show-hes-serious-about-peace/2010/09/01/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: