web analytics
July 30, 2015 / 14 Av, 5775
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post


Poll: Israelis Doubt Abbas, Support Settlement Construction


JERUSALEM – A pre-Rosh Hashanah New Wave poll commissioned by Israel’s Channel 10 TV News found that Israelis are not only skeptical about the renewed peace process, they are demanding that Prime Minister Netanyahu renew settlement construction throughout Judea and Samaria when the building freeze comes to an end later this month.

Some 38 percent of those who were polled want Netanyahu to renew settlement construction “everywhere” across Judea and Samaria, while 25 percent want construction to resume only within the major settlement blocs (large settlements such as Efrat and Modiin Illit that would be kept as part of any final deal with the Palestinians).

Just 21 percent of those Israelis who were polled want the settlement construction freeze to continue.

The poll found 60 percent of Israelis believe Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas is not interested in finalizing a peace deal with the Jewish state, while 50 percent believe Netanyahu is sincere in his efforts to make peace with the Palestinians.

“These results are somewhat surprising, because they indicate that the Israeli public does not like the settlement freeze at all, and could create a real problem for Netanyahu, who has relied on right-wing constituents for support,” said Channel 10 TV News senior political analyst Raviv Drucker.

Drucker acknowledged that the murder last week of four Israelis near Kiryat Arba by Hamas terrorists – which occurred hours before the New Wave poll was completed – might have impacted the seemingly hard-line results.

Meanwhile, several members of Netanyahu’s cabinet, led by Vice Premier Silvan Shalom, openly criticized the Israeli leader on Sunday for not revealing to Likud Party members the contents of his secret talks in Washington last week with President Obama and Abbas.

“We don’t know where we stand. Doing things without discussions is inappropriate,” said Shalom.

Later in the day, Yisrael Beitenu Chairman and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman told faction members at a pre-Rosh Hashanah gathering that a “general peace agreement is unattainable – not next year and not within the next generation.”

Senior Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat reiterated to both the Israeli and Arab media earlier this week that if Netanyahu does not extend the settlement freeze the renewed peace process will come to an abrupt end.

While Netanyahu has publicly stated he will not extend the freeze, there are indications that U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton intends to pressure the Israeli leader into doing just that during next week’s second-round of scheduled peace talks in Sharm-El Sheikh, Egypt.

One of the points both sides agreed to at last week’s summit was that Israeli and Palestinian leaders would meet every two weeks to advance peace talks.

George Mitchell, the senior U.S. envoy to the region, said the sides agreed to meet in the region Sept. 14-15. In the first stage, Mitchell said, the sides would work toward a framework agreement ahead of a comprehensive agreement, which the United States wants to see within a year.

“The parties themselves agreed that the logical way to succeed, to tackle them, is to reach a framework agreement first,” Mitchell said.

“It is less than a full-fledged treaty. Its purpose is to establish the compromises necessary to enable an agreement and to flesh out the issues.”

Netanyahu has suggested that he does not want to make substantial concessions until an agreement is in place and security mechanisms exist that protect Israel from rocket attacks and terrorism.

Working on a framework agreement first would allow Netanyahu the room to postpone territorial concessions.

On Saturday, Palestinian Authority leaders slammed Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, accusing him of seizing power illegitimately and oppressing the Iranian people. Their condemnation followed Ahmadinejad’s criticism of the PA over negotiations with Israel.

“He who does not represent the Iranian people, who forged elections and who suppresses the Iranian people and stole authority, is not entitled to talk about Palestine, or the president of Palestine,” said PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh.

Countering claims that Abbas is not authorized to negotiate with Israel, Rudeineh said, “President Mahmoud Abbas came to power through free, democratic, authentic elections.”

Ahmadinejad said Friday that talks between Israel and the PA will fail. “The fate of Palestine will be determined on the ground in Palestine. Not in Washington. These talks are death, there is no reason to hold talks,” he told a large crowd at Tehran University.

Regarding the PA, he said, “Who gave them the right to sell a piece of Palestinian land? The people of Palestine and the people of the region will not allow them to sell even an inch of Palestinian land to the enemy.”

Iran and the PA usually appear supportive of one another. However, there has been tension between Iran and the Fatah-led PA based since 2007, when Fatah battled with former coalition partner Hamas in a mini-war that led to Hamas’s seizing control of Gaza. Iran backs Hamas and provides the group with both training and weapons.

(With supplemental reporting from JTA and INN)

About the Author:


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

No Responses to “Poll: Israelis Doubt Abbas, Support Settlement Construction”

Comments are closed.

Current Top Story
Talks between Iran and the P5+1 were likely to be extended beyond Obama's self-imposed deadline.
The Iranian Nuclear Program and the Final Solution
Latest News Stories
Pope John Paul II and Chief Rabbi of Rome Elio Toaff

The exhibition “A blessing to one another: Pope John Paul II and the Jewish People,” opened on Tuesday in the Vatican.

Best Western Eretz Copacabana

Rio De Janeiro’s Jewish community will open two synagogues to accommodate Jewish visitors at the 2016 Olympics.

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin

Israel said the report is “fundamentally flawed in its methodologies, in its facts, in its legal analysis and in its conclusions,” and one-sided, bringing “into serious question Amnesty’s professional standards.”

Donald Trump

“I think what Mike has done has hit a nerve and he’s made people think a little bit.”

The Prime Minister approved construction of the homes after the High Court ordered demolitions of homes under construction.

The White House said Pollard’s serious crimes’ preclude his being allowed to travel abroad.

“Those who were highly connected to Israel were more likely to perceive their campus environment as hostile toward Jews and Israel and to report being blamed for Israel’s action.”

In explaining the confidential agreement between the IAEA and Iran, Moniz recalled a similar one between the agency and South Africa in the early 1990s.

Israel’s Air Force allegedly eliminates child-killer Samir Kuntar in Syrian Golan Heights.

The film will be based on Martin Blank’s play “The Law Of Return,” about Pollard’s work for the US Navy, and the process of his becoming a spy.

Dreinoff House, Beit El, July 29, 2015. Photos by Hillel Meir / Tazpit News Agency.

The solar energy field of at Kibbutz Ketura cost $79 million and consists of 140,743 solar panels.

The suspects belonged to an infrastructure that tried to disrupt the May 2014 visit of Pope Francis.

At least two reliable sources reported that Mullah Omar, one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, has died.

By noon Wednesday, Israeli forces were demolishing two buildings in Beit El.

Israeli, Lithuanian and American researchers have tracked down the remains of the Great Synagogue of Vilna.

More Articles from Steve K. Walz
: Israeli soldiers leave Gaza late Monday. A three-day cease-fire brokered by Egypt put an end, at least temporarily, to the fighting. See story, above.

As of Tuesday, all IDF forces operating in Gaza withdrew and redeployed to holding positions around Gaza.

Walz-080114-Map

The operation against the tunnels is a first and necessary step in the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.

The sophisticated cement tunnels, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, were reportedly built with Qatari government funds.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the nation on Tuesday afternoon that if the rocket fire did not stop by Tuesday evening, he would order “an even harsher” military response.

“They were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Netanyahu said shortly after the bodies were found.

Awad had been released as part of the Gilad Shalit kidnapping deal. Mizrachi’s widow, Hadas, told Israeli reporters that she had opposed the release of murderers as part of any kidnapping deal, and that Awad “deserved the death penalty so he wouldn’t kill again.”

If the abductors’ goal was to force Israeli authorities to release long-serving Palestinian prisoners, the effort backfired as Israeli forces are quickly rolling up what was left of Hamas in the West Bank and are reportedly contemplating the overthrow of the Hamas leadership in Gaza should harm come to the three teenagers.

Netanyahu brushed aside Lapid’s political threats, saying that he was either too politically inexperienced or unaware of the true nature of the peace negotiations with Abbas.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/global/poll-israelis-doubt-abbas-support-settlement-construction/2010/09/07/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: