web analytics
August 21, 2014 / 25 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event



Home » News & Views

Twelve Killed in Shooting Spree at US Navy Base (Video) UPDATES

Two or three gunmen went on a shooting spree at the US Navy Yard in Washington, killing at least four people and wounding 8 or 10 others including two police officers.
Police take positions after the massacre at the US Navy Yard at Washington D.C.

Police take positions after the massacre at the US Navy Yard at Washington D.C.

UPDATE: 3;30 p.m. Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, Texas has been identified as a suspected shooter. Alexis was a civilian contractor. He reportedly used the identification card of a former Navy Yard employee to gain entrance to the complex and the building.
UPDATE:
3 P.M. et – Police now say that at least 12 people were killed. Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said that no motive has been found for the murders but that the massacre was a terrorist attack.

“This is not over,” Rear Admiral John Kirby, the U.S. Navy’s chief spokesman, told reporters. “The building is still in lockdown, as are other buildings. Still being treated as an active search. No one is moving right now.”

UPDATE: 1:30 p.m. ET – D.C. police are searching for possibly two additional shooters at large, one described as a black male wearing khakis, a beret and carrying a handgun, the other a white male dressed in olive drab military style uniform, carrying a long gun.  Authorities are saying that although the possible shooters are dressed in military style clothing, they are not believed to be members of the military.

UPDATE: 11:40 a.m. ET – there are multiple reports that a shooter is dead.

UPDATE: 11:20 a.m. ET at least eight people are confirmed dead by two police sources.

Washington and federal police reportedly have shot and wounded two gunmen and looking for a possible third attacker after they killed at least four people and wounded 8-10 others at the Washington Navy Yard in the capital late Tuesday morning.

One of the gunman, dressed in black and armed with an AR-15 assault rifle, had been holed up inside Building 197, the Naval Sea Command Headquarters. Approximately 3,000 workers employed in the complex rushed to shelters during the shooting. At least one of the shooters reportedly was wearing army fatigues.

The Associated Press reported that an eyewitness said the gunmen began shooting at the first-floor cafeteria from the fourth floor that overlooks the area.

Authorities shut down Ronald Reagan Airport as a precautionary measure, but flights since have been resumed. Area schools were placed on lockdown.

The Navy Yard  hosts one of the Navy’s five system commands and builds ships and submarines.
The White House stated, “The President directed his team to stay in touch with our federal partners, including the Navy and FBI, as well as the local officials. We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site.”

The Navy Yard hosts one of the Navy’s five system commands and builds ships and submarines.

Read more at: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/gunman-escapes-after-shooting-spree-at-us-navy-base-video/2013/09/16/

About the Author: Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu is a graduate in journalism and economics from The George Washington University. He has worked as a cub reporter in rural Virginia and as senior copy editor for major Canadian metropolitan dailies. Tzvi wrote for Arutz Sheva for several years before joining the Jewish Press.


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

15 Responses to “Twelve Killed in Shooting Spree at US Navy Base (Video) UPDATES”

  1. Westly Walker says:

    I believe he is Barricaded !

  2. I believe he is Barricaded !

  3. YehudaAlan says:

    a muslim?

  4. Ronnie James says:

    The Pres. knows everything going on here, but was totally lost over Benghazi?

  5. Anonymous says:

    You are a soul-less hate-filled idiot. A tragedy like this strikes and your first thought isn't for your suffering fellow human beings––but how can I score a cheap, stupid political point off this. Well, congratulations! You've achieved your ambition to burrow lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

  6. benakiva37 says:

    Do not jump to any conclusions regarding the number of alleged assailant(s),number of people killed and wounded and faith of the alleged killer(s). These shootings are truly a nightmare in our region.

  7. Ronnie James says:

    electricbook so you don't give a crap about what he does. No wonder the country is in such bad shape.

  8. apparently, the obamas are hosting a latin festival tonite. sure hope this terrorist act that killed (now 12 people confirmed dead) and maimed dozens of others won't interfere with the bumbler-in-chief and his merriment. the guy is like prince prospero. only dumber.

  9. apparently, the obamas are hosting a latin festival tonite. sure hope this terrorist act that killed (now 12 people confirmed dead) and maimed dozens of others won't interfere with the bumbler-in-chief and his merriment. the guy is like prince prospero. only dumber.

  10. jgray1 says:

    there are 12 people confirmed dead now. the white male has been cleared. they are still looking for the black male with the handgun. i am sure when the motive is discovered it will be no surprise except to obama and his minions.

  11. James Johnston Ferguson says:

    my deepest sympathy goes out to everyone involved in Washington !

  12. ButterflyQueen says:

    Wasn’t it just yesterday or the day b4 that Obama was once again calling for confiscation of guns? .. and right on cue they have another killing spree.  Rather obvious.

  13. Anonymous says:

    surely military people must always be on alert as there might be some other individual or group who will attempt in some other military base. Never forget that there is always an enemy within.

  14. Éva Cornides says:

    …miért történhet meg ilyesmi egy olyan bázison, melyet (elvileg) szigorúan védenek?

  15. How many more gun-downs do we need to realize that freely handing out weapons to our citizenry is NOT the best idea? For those who need more convincing, here's a more personal account of the Washington Naval Base incident: http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=IH1Q30KD6DX4&preview=article&linkid=4a8005ba-90ce-4093-ab4e-7dc94806516e&pdaffid=ZVFwBG5jk4Kvl9OaBJc5%2bg%3d%3d

Comments are closed.

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Current Top Story
An IDF patrol along the Gaza border.
Ground Op on Horizon with Emergency Orders to 10,000 IDF Reservists
Latest News Stories

The White House has unblocked the weapons shipment to Israel that they had recently blocked.

Rocket remainder

10:58pm Negev 10:32 pm Eshkol 9:38 pm Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ashkelon Coast 8:47 pm Modiin-Maccabim-Reut, and area. Iron Dome Interception. 8:46 pm Beit El 20:00 pm  Iron Dome downs two rockets over Be’er Sheva; three others explode in open areas. 19:42 pm     Two warnings of rockets in Be’er Sheva, warnings of rockets Hatzerim , site […]

An IDF patrol along the Gaza border.

The IDF readies what it does not want unless there is no alternative – a deep ground invasion of Gaza. Hamas also is ready.

If “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” Diaspora Jews are in big trouble.

The security cabinet authorised Thursday the emergency call-up of 10,000 IDF reservists. Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Israel would continue to pursue Hamas leaders anywhere and at any time, and added that the current campaign would “take time.” Ya’alon called on the Israeli public to display patience and strength while the army deals with the […]

The Jewish community in Belfast, Northern Ireland is bracing for violent backlash as the city prepares for an appearance by radical British MP George Galloway on Saturday night. Last month, Palestinian supporters smashed windows twice at the Belfast Hebrew Congregation following a pro-Palestinian demonstration in the city. Now, representatives for Galloway say the 1,000-seat Ulster […]

Israeli school year will begin as planned, and schools “are prepared for any security-related events.”

Gaza workers continue to search for the body of Hamas military chief Mohammed Deif after an IAF air strike August 20.

PA Arabs stoned an Egged bus near Halhoul, north of Hebron Wednesday. The attack took place near the site where the bodies of Eyal Yifrah, Gil-Ad Sha’ar and Naftali Fraenkel were discovered on June 30. No injuries or property damage were reported.

Non-stop rockets on south; Yadlin: Hamas rocket stockpiles dwindling.

Prime Minister Netanyahu praised joint IDF, Shin Bet efforts ending in terror deaths.

Three more terrorists killed in IAF air strike on Sheikh Radwan section of Gaza City Thursday.

One Israeli man was wounded Thursday making sure children escaped rocket fire in time.

Raed al-Attar was an extremely dangerous, sophisticated Hamas terrorist. But he is dead.

Royal Jordanian Airlines has again canceled flights to Tel Aviv over fears of rocket fire from Hamas.

More Articles from Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu
Islamic State terrorists start out young.

The Islamic State is getting a lot of bad publicity lately, which actually proves how successful they are.

Islamic terror coming soon to your favorite neighborhood street theater.

Netanyahu, Ya’alon and Gantz’s comments: War until there is total quiet and everyone can sleep at night.

Longshoremen pulled a fast on anti-Israel picketers and are unloading the Zim ship that was blocked from unloading last week.

Deif may, or may not, have escaped the bombing raid. His wife, at least one of them, was killed. Is Haniyeh next?

“Seeing the Bible come to life is quite remarkable” – Rick Santorum

The United States holds Hamas accountable for all rocket attacks on Israel, U.S. State Dept. spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters at the daily oppress briefing Tuesday. Asked if the rockets that broke the cease-fire were launched from Gaza, she said, “It came from Gaza, and Hamas has responsibility for Gaza.” Harf also that there has […]

    Latest Poll

    Do you think the FAA ban on US flights to Israel is political?






    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/gunman-escapes-after-shooting-spree-at-us-navy-base-video/2013/09/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: