For One Day Only: $1=$4, Thanks to Matching from BIG Donors
JERUSALEM – Despite prolonged diplomatic efforts by much of the international community to convince Iran to halt its uranium enrichment program, a prominent former member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), along with a respected think tank, have confirmed what Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told the U.S., EU and UN: Iran has essentially “passed the point of no return” and is only weeks away from assembling a nuclear weapon.
Former IAEA deputy director-general for safeguards Olli Heinonen, a senior fellow at Harvard University’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, said this week that Iran had passed the point of no return “in a certain way.” During a conference call initiated by the Israel Project, Heinonen added, “But we have to remember the capabilities of Iran. People have slightly different definitions of what constitutes breakout capability. However, you still don’t have a nuclear weapon. Preparing the highly enriched uranium for a nuclear bomb would take another month or two, assuming that someone has all the knowledge.” And even if the Iranians have “all the knowledge,” Heinonen stressed that it would take the Iranian Revolutionary Guards nearly a year to perfect its attachment to a ballistic missile.
Last week, a website news report issued by the Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) said that Iran currently possessed enough uranium to assemble one atomic bomb if it converted all of its 20-percent enriched hexafluoride stockpile within a four-to-six-week time frame.
Diplomatic negotiations with Iranian interlocutors are expected to resume in Vienna late next week. High-ranking Israeli and Saudi government officials have warned the White House that unless the Iranians are presented with an ultimatum to halt its uranium enrichment program and ship it out of the country, Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, would give a green light to assembling a nuclear weapon.
Prior to a phone conference with President Obama on Monday evening, Netanyahu told his cabinet that he wasn’t “impressed by the discussion surrounding the issue of 20-percent enrichment.”
Iran, he added, is “intentionally focusing the discussion on this issue. It is without importance. Its importance is superfluous as a result of the improvements the Iranians have made in the past year, which allows them to jump over the barrier of 20 percent enrichment and proceed directly from 3.5 percent enrichment to 90 percent within weeks – weeks at most. Therefore there is no significance to the discussion about 20 percent, which Iran seemingly will not give in on…. It has no importance; it is a tactical move. In effect, Iran, which has violated all Security Council decisions on preventing it from enrichment at any level, has no right to enrich.”
Netanyahu said Israel was “willing to stand alone in the face of world opinion or changing fashion. But in fact we are not alone because most, if not all, leaders, those with whom I have spoken, agree with us. There are those who say so fully, and there are those who whisper, and there are those who say so privately. But everyone understands that Iran cannot be allowed to retrain the ability to be within reach of nuclear weapons.”
Meanwhile, IDF Gen. Ido Nehushtan, a former Israel Air Force commander in chief, told a public forum in Beersheba last weekend that if Israel had no choice but to attack Iran’s various nuclear and missile facilities without the assistance of the United States and Western allies, the IAF had the capability to seriously cripple the Iranian nuclear program but not destroy it. “Israel could set back the Iranian program by several years,” he said. Rumors circulating in the Israeli media said that Netanyahu could order a lightning attack against Iran as soon as January if diplomatic efforts by the West fail.
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Comments are closed.
US alone voted no on UNHRC Resolution condemning only Israel for wrongdoing in last summer’s conflict.
Sinai terrorists expanded their range of attack Friday, aiming rocket fire at southern Israel as well.
5:21 PM The rocket landed in a field in the Eshkol region. Apparently from Sinai. 5:06 PM Channel 1 reports that citizens say they saw the rocket fly over from Sinai. 4:49 PM IDF Spox says they believe only 1 rocket was launched. The IDF is examining if the rocket was launched from the Sinai. […]
Nothing like a Kosher frank for the 4th of July, even if this year, you have to cook it before Shabbat.
Nothing quite like Hamas terrorist supporters on the Temple Mount openly waving their flags..
Machsom Watch women came to harass IDF soldiers in Hebron but embarrassed themselves instead.
A Palestinian Authority Arab was shot and killed after he attacked an Israeli army commander driving in near Jerusalem.
The US Mennonite church votes to table an anti-Israel BDS resolution for two years.
Israel has tightened security and is on high alert for Friday Ramadan prayers.
An Arab man was caught by Border Police on his way to committing a terror attack in Hebron on Thursday night
PM Binyamin Netanyahu warns that Israel now faces a double threat: from ISIS and Iran.
The closing of the highway, comes after Israeli security officials voiced concern that Waliyat Sinai, the ISIS-affiliated terror group responsible for the attacks, may be planning to strike Israel as well.
Jerusalem’s Light Rail was attacked at least twice Thursday by Arabs hurling rocks in Shuafat — again.
Neo-Nazis who planned to march July 4 through London’s Golders Green section must now relocate to the city center.
As of Tuesday, all IDF forces operating in Gaza withdrew and redeployed to holding positions around Gaza.
The sophisticated cement tunnels, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, were reportedly built with Qatari government funds.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the nation on Tuesday afternoon that if the rocket fire did not stop by Tuesday evening, he would order “an even harsher” military response.
“They were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Netanyahu said shortly after the bodies were found.
Awad had been released as part of the Gilad Shalit kidnapping deal. Mizrachi’s widow, Hadas, told Israeli reporters that she had opposed the release of murderers as part of any kidnapping deal, and that Awad “deserved the death penalty so he wouldn’t kill again.”
If the abductors’ goal was to force Israeli authorities to release long-serving Palestinian prisoners, the effort backfired as Israeli forces are quickly rolling up what was left of Hamas in the West Bank and are reportedly contemplating the overthrow of the Hamas leadership in Gaza should harm come to the three teenagers.
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/netanyahu-iran-past-point-of-no-return/2013/10/30/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: