web analytics
June 30, 2015 / 13 Tammuz, 5775
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post


U.S., Israeli Officials Blast Media Reports Claiming Obama-Netanyahu Rift

JERUSALEM – White House and Israeli government officials criticized Israel’s Yediot Aharonot newspaper for publishing what they described as two patently false stories during the past week.

The paper alleged that the relationship between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Obama has significantly deteriorated over the issue of a possible Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Yediot Aharonot reported in a front-page story that U.S. Ambassador to Israel Daniel Shapiro reprimanded Netanyahu in a private conversation – saying “enough is enough” regarding ongoing Israeli warnings about a preemptive strike – while the White House asked Iranian officials not to attack American installations in the Persian Gulf region if the IDF launches a preventive strike against Iran.

On Monday White House spokesman Jay Carney said that Yediot’s report that the Obama administration had secretly negotiated with Iranian officials about keeping the U.S. out of any armed conflict between Israel and Iran was “false and completely incorrect.” Carney told the Reuters news agency, “We don’t talk about hypotheticals.”

Yediot Aharonot’s publisher, Arnon Mozes, who also controls a substantial share of Israel’s Channel 2 TV network, has made no secret of his antipathy toward Netanyahu. This became evident after American business mogul and philanthropist Sheldon Adelson launched the pro-government Yisrael Hayom in 2007. That free daily paper has overtaken Yediot in circulation.

In an attempt to buttress Yediot’s story about the alleged verbal spat between Netanyahu and Shapiro, Channel 2 News anchorwoman Yonit Levi interviewed Shapiro. When pressed about the alleged verbal row, Shapiro smiled and pointedly told Levy, “I’m sorry to disappoint you, but it never happened.” The ambassador also said that he had a positive relationship with Netanyahu and that the White House and the Israeli government are constantly updating each other and coordinating their efforts regarding the Iranian nuclear issue.

Earlier this week Netanyahu publicly called on the world’s powers, including the U.S. and EU, to delineate a clear “red line” to the Iranian regime, whereby the Iranians would understand that it would suffer devastating consequences if they continued to enrich uranium as part of their effort to build a nuclear bomb. Within the past month, Israeli intelligence officials have informed Defense Secretary Leon Panetta that Iran would have enough enriched uranium by early 2013 to build a nuclear bomb.

Reflecting on the debate of whether Israel should bomb Iran, with or without American support, veteran Israeli TV news anchorman and Yisrael Hayom columnist Dan Margalit wrote in Monday’s edition, “As an ordinary citizen, I do not know which opinion to express. Both sides make convincing arguments, and only someone who has all the information can make a decision. But it is also clear to the ordinary citizen that Israel has been forced to spill its hidden secrets in the city square, a process started by former Mossad chief Meir Dagan’s ‘freak show,’ so the question must be considered as it is.”

Margalit added, “The choice is not between an Israeli attack or international action, but rather between these two possibilities and a third option: the acceptance of a nuclear Iran. Opponents of Netanyahu and [Defense Minister] Ehud Barak are hiding their support for this option.”

About the Author:


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

No Responses to “U.S., Israeli Officials Blast Media Reports Claiming Obama-Netanyahu Rift”

Comments are closed.

Current Top Story
Tzvi Fishman at Cemetery of Mount of Olives
Jewish Press Blogger Stoned on Mount of Olives!
Latest News Stories
Jewish mother and child walk through a field in the town of Haditch, Ukraine.

Jews in Ukraine are without one of their life-saving Hatzolah ambulances after an arsonist targeted the vehicle Sunday.

Terror Attack near Shvut Rachel

Four Israelis hurt Monday night in a driveby terror attack by terrorists near Shvut Rachel.

Egyptian soldiers stand guard on the Egyptian side of the Rafah border with Gaza.

Egypt’s Attorney General Hisham Barakat was assassinated Monday in a car bombing in Cairo.

Ashdod Port

The boat was boarded by Israel’s Shayetet 13 special forces after it refused to turn away from breaching the blockade on Gaza.

Rabbi Riskin is pleased and honored to continue to serve the residents of Efrat…

Some 1,000 rally Monday at the UNHRC offices in Geneva to show support for Israel.

If the wind blows in the wrong direction, Israelis will need gas masks to stay alive.

Israeli PM Netanyahu warns nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers is going from bad to “worse.”

The OU respects the process which led to the Obergefell decision, but prays religious liberty won’t be sacrificed.

Led by the Chief Rabbi of Turkey, Ishak Ibrahimzadeh, the Jewish community in Edirne host a public iftar meal.

With all the talk about Ashdod Port this morning, here are some photos of the port.

Israeli physician Dr. Yuval Rabinovich reviews possible reasons ‘why we have never met aliens.’

The “occupation” was the most popular word in today’s session.

One of those “degrading” inspections at a checkpoint may have foiled a mass murder.

The Shayowitz family went up to the Mount of Olives on Monday morning to visit the graves of their father and brother, and were shocked to discover that the gravestones were destroyed. The Mount of Olives is one of the oldest surviving Jewish cemeteries in the world, going back thousands of years. Arabs have been […]

More Articles from Steve K. Walz
: Israeli soldiers leave Gaza late Monday. A three-day cease-fire brokered by Egypt put an end, at least temporarily, to the fighting. See story, above.

As of Tuesday, all IDF forces operating in Gaza withdrew and redeployed to holding positions around Gaza.

Walz-080114-Map

The operation against the tunnels is a first and necessary step in the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.

The sophisticated cement tunnels, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, were reportedly built with Qatari government funds.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the nation on Tuesday afternoon that if the rocket fire did not stop by Tuesday evening, he would order “an even harsher” military response.

“They were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Netanyahu said shortly after the bodies were found.

Awad had been released as part of the Gilad Shalit kidnapping deal. Mizrachi’s widow, Hadas, told Israeli reporters that she had opposed the release of murderers as part of any kidnapping deal, and that Awad “deserved the death penalty so he wouldn’t kill again.”

If the abductors’ goal was to force Israeli authorities to release long-serving Palestinian prisoners, the effort backfired as Israeli forces are quickly rolling up what was left of Hamas in the West Bank and are reportedly contemplating the overthrow of the Hamas leadership in Gaza should harm come to the three teenagers.

Netanyahu brushed aside Lapid’s political threats, saying that he was either too politically inexperienced or unaware of the true nature of the peace negotiations with Abbas.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/u-s-israeli-officials-blast-media-reports-claiming-obama-netanyahu-rift/2012/09/05/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: