web analytics
August 30, 2014 / 4 Elul, 5774
At a Glance
Sections
082914 FINAL
click for
eEdition
Loving Israel as a Christian, The Blessings and Curses (Guest Tommy Waller)

Updates from Kuneitra, Syria [video]

August 29, 2014 - 4:14 PM

Joan Rivers in Critical Condition

August 29, 2014 - 1:08 PM

Soldier Dies from Wounds in Rocket Attack

August 29, 2014 - 12:33 PM

A Grand Total of 50 Muslims in Michigan Condemn ISIS

August 29, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Funeral Begins from Lakewood Yeshiva Student Aaron Sofer

August 29, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Dutch Pension Fund Rejects BDS

August 29, 2014 - 10:37 AM

Al Qaeda and ISIS are Israel’s New Northern Neighbors

August 29, 2014 - 9:38 AM

Netanyahu Meets with House Armed Services Members

August 28, 2014 - 11:49 PM

Mashaal Vows Cease-Fire a Step to New ‘Resistance’ War against Israel

August 28, 2014 - 11:00 PM

ISIS Slaughters 450 Captured Syrian Soldiers Since Wednesday

August 28, 2014 - 8:37 PM

Update: Lakewood Confirms Sofer’s Body Was Found in Jerusalem Hills

August 28, 2014 - 8:31 PM

Comedian Joan Rivers in Critical Condition

August 28, 2014 - 8:09 PM

Run Away… Run Away… [photos]

August 28, 2014 - 7:28 PM

Echoing Cease-fire, Britain’s Jews and Muslims Call for Peace

August 28, 2014 - 6:56 PM

27 Israelis Arrested for Drug & Weapons Trafficking, Helping Hezbollah

August 28, 2014 - 6:38 PM

Israeli Arabs Arrested for Lebanon Ties

August 28, 2014 - 3:39 PM

Erdoğan Sworn in as Turkish President

August 28, 2014 - 3:26 PM

IDF Fires Warning Shots Near Gaza Fence

August 28, 2014 - 2:51 PM

Shaath: US Pressured Israel to Drop Demilitarization Demand

August 28, 2014 - 2:49 PM

PLO Calls for War Crimes Investigations

August 28, 2014 - 2:39 PM
Sponsored Post
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

Community

Posted on: April 22nd, 2009

SectionsCommunity

The shul was packed for Yizkor service. For Mr. Reuven Black this year was particularly poignant; it marked the tenth Yahrzeit of his father, who had passed away shortly after Pesach. He had decided to do something special in memory of his father.

Posted on: April 14th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

As the freight train rumbles down the tracks running along East Cary Street in the historic Shockoe Bottom district of Richmond, Virginia, it passes by a former tobacco warehouse. Parked conspicuously in front of the massive building stands a train car that once carried a different kind of freight. Step inside and you discover you're in a cattle car used to transport Jews to the death camps that sprang up like poisonous mushrooms, throughout the European landscape. This is your entrée to the Virginia Holocaust Museum.

Posted on: April 1st, 2009

SectionsCommunity

Three-and-a-half years ago, the Israeli government expelled 8,800 Israeli residents from Gush Katif and destroyed their homes. Despite the residents' sadness and anger, they thought the worst was behind them; that they would have a chance, should they desire it, to start anew in communities and homes the government promised to provide them.

SectionsCommunity

I do not remember where I was or what I was doing just 40 minutes ago. But it is with crystalline clarity that I remember exactly where I was four decades ago.

SectionsCommunity

The 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was a frightening time. U.S. President John F. Kennedy confronted Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev on the missile bases that Khrushchev was building in Cuba. The rockets were aimed at America.

Posted on: March 26th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

Have you ever wondered what a real korban Pesach looked like, or what the original appearance was of the kosher and non-kosher animals mentioned in Parshas Shemini? One need not travel far from home to get a glimpse of Torah wildlife. Preserved animals provided by renowned taxidermists are now on display at the Torah Zoo, an adjunct branch of The Living Torah Museum located at 1601 41st Street in Boro Park, in Brooklyn, New York.

Posted on: March 26th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

"My mother always made the Jewish holidays lots of fun when we were growing up, so is it any wonder I started my own Judaica business?"

Posted on: March 18th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

The term caravan often evokes images of weary travelers on camelback, nomads crossing through endless desert with no particular aim, and drifters and loners with regard for no one but themselves and the open road.

Posted on: March 18th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

I was driving home from New York with my family at the end of our vacation when my cell phone rang. Since we were in Tennessee and I wasn't sure if it was legal to talk on the phone, my wife picked it up and said, "Hello."

Posted on: March 4th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

Florida Governor, Charlie Crist, seems to be delighted with federal stimulus money given to the state. However, other Florida officials are not so comfortable with the windfall. They warn of long-term consequences to the short-term solution.

SectionsCommunity

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School (WYHS), a Religious Zionist Jewish high school in Boca Raton, is participating in the B'Lev Echad Memorial Program for the eight students who were murdered during last year's massacre at Yeshivat Merkaz HaRav in Jerusalem, Israel.

SectionsCommunity

Through rain, sleet, and snow . well maybe just snow, Jews from all over made it their business to attend this past Sunday night's Big Event at the WaMu Theater in Madison Square Garden. Lipa Schmeltzer, along with other great Jewish entertainers, performed to an energized crowd of men, women, and children.

SectionsCommunity

Twenty-four hours of tragedy turned to joy. A true v'nahapoch hu story for the month of Adar.

Posted on: February 18th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

The local Jewish community recently received a shock. Many that attended rallies and protests regarding the Gaza War were stunned. Counter-demonstrators made egregious and hateful statements, some referring to the Holocaust. They were physically violent. The actions did not seem to cause any outrage in the general community.

SectionsCommunity

Last week Hershel Puretz paid 50,000 shekels [almost $13,000] in bi-monthly heating bills to the Israel Electric Corporation. Does he own several windswept mansions? A large factory? A hotel? No, Hershel, originally from Brooklyn, lives in a modest apartment in Jerusalem's Mattersdorf neighborhood. A full-time yeshiva student, he is 30 years old, married, and has three children. The heating bills are not his at all. They belong to a couple hundred destitute Israeli families.

SectionsCommunity

Last week Hershel Puretz paid 50,000 shekels [almost $13,000] in bi-monthly heating bills to the Israel Electric Corporation. Does he own several windswept mansions? A large factory? A hotel? No, Hershel, originally from Brooklyn, lives in a modest apartment in Jerusalem's Mattersdorf neighborhood. A full-time yeshiva student, he is 30 years old, married, and has three children. The heating bills are not his at all. They belong to a couple hundred destitute Israeli families.

SectionsCommunity

Students from several Queens' yeshivas joined forces in two back-to-back bake sales, and raised over $5,000 to help feed the poor in Israel through the Chickens for Shabbos program.

SectionsCommunity

Students from several Queens' yeshivas joined forces in two back-to-back bake sales, and raised over $5,000 to help feed the poor in Israel through the Chickens for Shabbos program.

Posted on: February 11th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

The loneliness is overwhelming. Yoel G., Yaakov Yosef G., and Yossi B. have spent ten months in solitary confinement, sitting on a hard concrete floor, their mobility severely restricted.

Posted on: February 11th, 2009

SectionsCommunity

The loneliness is overwhelming. Yoel G., Yaakov Yosef G., and Yossi B. have spent ten months in solitary confinement, sitting on a hard concrete floor, their mobility severely restricted.

Page 46 of 125« First...102030...4445464748...607080...Last »

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/sections/community/community-currents/community-currents-march-22-2013/2013/03/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: