This is extensively used as a meal accompaniment in many Sephardic Jewish households, as it goes with most dishes. For a dairy meal, serve a sauce of yogurt with herbs.
This recipe serves: 6 people
3 cups frozen broad (fava) beans
2 cups basmati rice
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons fresh dill
Garnish: 2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
1. Rinse the rice several times and then leave to soak for 2 hours.
2. Defrost the broad beans and remove the outer skin.
3. Drain the rice. Place in a saucepan and add sufficient water so that it covers the rice by the length of your thumbnail!
4. Add the salt and begin to heat. Once the rice starts to swell and comes to the surface, add the broad (fava) beans. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes or until soft.
5. Place the lid on the saucepan, turn the heat off and leave for 8 minutes.
6. Stir in the dill and drizzle a little vegetable oil on top.