1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- Soak wood plank in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat gas grill to medium-low heat (160-180 degrees).
- To prepare dry rub, combine salt, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and mustard seeds.
- Place salmon, skin side down, on soaked plank and work in dry rub,
- Place plank in a covered grill and smoke for at least 2 hours, checking after 60-90 minutes for doneness. Fish is done when it flakes with a fork, and it should not be too salty. As fish smokes, the salt content reduces. Adjust the cooking time and salt to your taste.
Note: Smoking fish can take between 2-6 hours, depending on personal taste, the size of the fillet, and the fat content of the fish.
* * * * *
Egg-free. This is a fabulous cake to make even when your guests can eat eggs – it’s beautiful, flavorful, and a little zesty. Variation: Use vanilla or almond extract in place of lemon extract and leave out orange zest for a subtly different flavor.
¼ cup silken tofu
½ cup water
¾ cup fresh orange juice
½ cup canola oil
1 tsp lemon extract
2½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest of 1 orange or 1 lemon
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil Bundt pan.
- In a blender, combine tofu, water, orange juice, oil, and extract; blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and zest. Pour dry ingredients into wet. Stir until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake 50-60 minutes in preheated oven.
- To prepare glaze, mix ingredients and pour over cooled cake. Garnish with fresh orange slices and blueberries.
About the Author:
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.