web analytics
August 21, 2014 / 25 Av, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘abduction’

Following Abduction, PM Netanyahu Speaks with US Secretary of State John Kerry

Friday, August 1st, 2014

Released by Prime Minister’s Office:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, this afternoon, spoke with US Secretary of State John Kerry and told him that despite his joint statement with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, according to which assurances had been received from Hamas and the other terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip regarding a ceasefire from 08:00 this morning, the Palestinians had unilaterally and grossly violated the humanitarian ceasefire and attacked our soldiers after 09:00.

As a result of this attack, two IDF soldiers were killed and another soldier is suspected to have been abducted; this was after the ceasefire had taken effect.

Prime Minister Netanyahu told US Secretary of State Kerry that Hamas and the other terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip will bear the consequences of their actions and that Israel would take all necessary steps against those who call for our destruction and perpetrate terrorism against our citizens.

Abducted IDF Officer Identified

Friday, August 1st, 2014

3:00pm The abducted IDF soldier has been identified as:

Hadar ben Hedva Leah

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin (23), Givati, From Kfar Saba

Hamas Abduction Attack Mirrors Hezbollah Training

Friday, August 1st, 2014

Hamas has become Hezbollah. The Islamist terrorist group has learned well from its Iranian proxy benefactor, a fact Israel’s military leadership must adapt to quickly if they are to win this war.

For war it is.

At 9:30 am Friday, less than two hours after the start of a 72 hour humanitarian truce agreed to by both sides – arranged by the United Nations and the United States – Hamas violated the cease fire.

That is not news, because Hamas has violated every cease fire since the war began.

But this time, Hamas terrorists opened fire on IDF troops in the southern Gaza border town of Rafah and then succeeded in kidnapping one of the soldiers during the attack.

It was a classic Hezbollah move, similar to that carried out by the Lebanese terrorist group in the cross-border raid that launched the 2006 Second Lebanon War. Two IDF reservists, Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, were abducted and murdered in that attack, but it took two more years to learn about their deaths.

Two years, a German negotiator, a prisoner swap, thousands of hours of agony and talks and a nation torn apart. During that entire time, no one knew the status or condition of either one until the day their bodies crossed the border back into Israel, in two metal coffins.

The price was the release of one of the most savage terrorist child-killers Israel had ever imprisoned, Samir Kuntar, in addition to four other live terrorists and the remains of 199 dead Lebanese and Palestinian Arab terrorists.

A third IDF soldier, Gilad Shalit, had also been abducted — by Hamas — and spirited away to Gaza just a few days earlier. But that terror group eventually made it known that he was alive, at least. For Shalit, the price was even higher; more than 1,000 Palestinian Arab terrorists, including hundreds with ‘blood on their hands,’ were freed in exchange for his return to his family.

Hamas has learned a lot from Hezbollah since 2006. The Lebanese terror group has served as the conduit for generous patronage from Iran in the form of funding, equipment, weapons and special training.

From Hezbollah, Hamas learned how to create its underground bunkers and terror tunnel network, which now honeycombs the entire Gaza region. It’s a little bit like the New York subway system, except that it benefits only terrorists.

Mostly, it facilitates various forms of attacks on Israel, especially abductions of soldiers.

U.N. special envoy Robert Serry told reporters early Friday afternoon in a statement that two IDF soldiers and a number of Palestinian Arabs were killed during the attack by Hamas, which he referred to as a “serious incident.”

Serry added in his briefing, “The United Nations is not in a position to independently confirm these reports,” but added that if true, “this would constitute a serious violation of the humanitarian cease fire in place … by Gazan militant factions, which should be condemned in the strongest terms.”

Updates on IDF Actions in Gaza (Last Update 3:31pm)

Friday, August 1st, 2014

3:31pm IDF Spox notifications:

Hamas terrorists killed two IDF soldiers during the suspected kidnapping of 2nd Lt. Goldin this morning.

We suspect that a group of Hamas terrorists, including a suicide attacker, kidnapped 2nd. Lt. Goldin at 9:30AM & dragged him into a tunnel.

If our suspicions about today’s events are accurate, Hamas took advantage of the latest ceasefire in order to kidnap an IDF soldier.

 

3:15pm Released for Publication – 2 soldiers were killed this morning in battles with Hamas. Their families have been informed.

3:00pm The name of the kidnapped soldier has been released for publication by the IDF:

Hadar ben Hedva Leah

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin (23), Givati, From Kfar Saba

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin

2:21pm The IDF is continuing to stream forces to the area of the alleged kidnapping and has surrounded the entire area.

The IDF is continuing in full force to ascertain the safety of the soldier and his return….on both the operational and intelligence areas.

IDF Soldier Kidnapped in Battle During Cease Fire

Friday, August 1st, 2014

Updated: An IDF soldier was kidnapped this morning in Rafah (Rafiach) at 9:30am.

Hamas terrorists attacked IDF troops this morning during the cease fire, a fierce battle ensued, at it is believed they managed to kidnap a soldier. CNN reports that a suicide bomber was used.

They have made numerous attempts, since the war began, to abduct soldiers, and this may have been their goal all along.

The soldier’s family has been notified.

3:00pm The soldier has been identified as:

Hadar ben Hedva Leah

2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin (23), Givati, From Kfar Saba

Third Terror Group Says it Kidnapped Israeli Teens

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

A new, previously unmentioned group says it is responsible for kidnapping three Israeli teens on June 12.

Identifying itself as the Hezbollah Brigades, this is the third such group to say it abducted the boys while hitchhiking home from yeshiva in Gush Etzion on June 12.

If in fact the claim is authentic, this cell may be part of the larger global jihad group of the same name that operates in Syria and in Iraq.

The Israeli government continues to insist the Hamas terrorist organization that rules Gaza — and which in recent years has infiltrated Judea and Samaria — is responsible for the abduction.

The so-called Hezbollah Brigades, or “Kata’ib Hezbollah” is a Shi’ite milita group active in Iraq and Syria tied to, but not formally a part of the Lebanon-based Hezbollah terrorist organization.

According to U.S. military sources the group is linked to a cluster of special groups which receive funding, training, logistics and materiel from Iran’s Quds Force, despite official denials from the Iranian government. The Lebanon-based Hezbollah terrorist organization also is backed by Iran, as are the Islamic Jihad and Hamas terrorist organizations that operate in Judea, Samaria and Gaza.

The U.S. State Department has also said in the past that the Kata’ib Hezbollah has received weapons and training from Lebanese Hezbollah. Both groups appear on the U.S. State Department List of Foreign Terrorist Organizations.

A message from someone who claims to be a member of this group was posted Thursday on the Arabic-language Gaza-based Sahafa website, linked to Amad Press.

The message, printed in Arabic, was also made available in audio, read by a man.

However, the Hezbollah-controlled Al-Manar broadcast stations in Lebanon did not post anything on the new claim, nor were there any other reports about it in Lebanon media.

This raises questions as to whether in fact the group is truly connected with the kidnapping. Hezbollah secretary-general Hassan Nasrallah has never been shy about claiming responsibility for terrorist attacks, nor has he ever hesitated to comment on the attacks of others associated with his organization.

Nevertheless, it is still possible the attack was carried out by the group. In past years there have been several international terror attacks carried out by Hezbollah cells that were not mentioned by Nasrallah; only later did the connection come to light.

Multiple Terror Incidents Over the Weekend

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

JERUSALEM – Several terror incidents were registered over the weekend throughout Israel.

Israeli security forces continued to operate over the weekend in the Judea and Samaria region as part of Operation ‘Brother’s Keeper’ to locate the three abducted boys. The forces continued to target Hamas operatives and the organization’s terrorist infrastructure in connection with last week’s abduction.

IDF soldiers have detained ten Hamas operatives and searched approximately 146 locations since Friday morning. Over the past two days, the troops carried out extensive search and rescue missions in the western Hebron area. In addition, security forces conducted operations targeting 15 Hamas institutions throughout Judea and Samaria. Some 200,000 NIS were uncovered at one location, suspected as funding for terror activity.

Arab sources report that two Arabs were killed by IDF fire during the searches. One of them was reportedly mentally ill. He did not heed the call to stop approaching the Border Policemen patrol and was shot – suicide by cop.

Since the beginning of the operation, IDF forces have searched about 1,350 locations for terrorists, illegal weaponry and the abducted boys. The soldiers arrested about 340 terrorist suspects, of which 250 had associations with Hamas. More than 50 of the detained suspects are terrorists released during the Gilad Schalit prisoner exchange in 2011. In total, security forces have operated against roughly 45 Hamas establishments.

“Our activities are ongoing,” said IDF Spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner. “We are combining actions on the ground aimed at locating Eyal, Gilad and Naftali, and systematically targeting Hamas’ terrorists and its ‘Dawa’ civilian support system.” Lt. Col Lerner stressed that the IDF remains determined to bring the boys home while striking the Hamas terrorist organization on all levels. “Hamas’ attack is an attempt to undermine the security and stability of our region,” he said. “They will bear the consequences of their actions.” On Saturday night shots were fired at an IDF post near Adam, north of Jerusalem. No injuries were reported. Late last night IAF forces responded to ongoing rocket fire from Gaza by attacking terror targets. Three terror activity sites in the southern Gaza Strip and one terror activity site in the central Gaza Strip were targeted. Accurate hits were registered. Three rockets fired from Gaza exploded in open areas in the Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council on Saturday night. No injuries or damage was recorded. Since the beginning of Operation ‘Brother’s Keeper’ over 20 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel. Early this morning an Arab terrorist armed with a grenade was captured on the outskirts of the town of Yated, in the western Negev. The terrorist, who infiltrated from the Gaza Strip, was captured by IDF forces who were alerted to the scene. This is the first time in more than a year that a terrorist from the Gaza Strip penetrated into Israel.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/multiple-terror-incidents-over-the-weekend/2014/06/22/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: