Julio Acevedo, who had been arrested in connection with a car crash that killed a Stamar husband and wife and their unborn baby was charged Thursday with criminally negligent homicide, as well as three counts of assault and leaving the scene of an accident. Acevedo’s driver’s license was suspended.
Acevedo was arraigned in state Supreme Court in Brooklyn and was ordered held without bail.
State Supreme Court Judge Stephen Antignani granted an order of protection to the livery driver in whose car Nathan and Raizy Glauber were sitting at the time of the crash.
Acevedo had been brought to New York from Pennsylvania earlier on Thursday, after surrendering to police in the parking lot of a Bethlehem convenience store.
Acevedo is accused of speeding down a Williamsburg, Brooklyn street at 60 mph past midnight last Sunday, and crashing into a car service carrying Nathan and Raizy Glauber to a hospital.
Both husband and wife, 21, died on Sunday. Their son, delivered by cesarean section, died Monday. His mother was seven months pregnant and was thrown from the car, the NYC medical examiner’s office stated.
The car service came to a stop sign, and not clear if the driver stopped.
A hit-and-run driver killed a 21-year-old Satmar couple around midnight Sunday as they rushed to the hospital because of a problem in the mother’s seventh month of pregnancy, and the baby was delivered but in serious condition.
Based on image by James Keivom/New York Daily News
Doctors said the baby, “Tinok ben Raizel.” probably will survive. Already termed a “miracle baby,” he will be named after his father, according to friends of the family.
The tragedy has stunned the Satmar community in Williamsburg, where Nachman and Raizel Glauber were expecting their first child. Raizel complained that she could not feel her unborn baby’s movements, and the couple hired a cab to rush them to the hospital.
They never arrived alive.
A BMW crashed into the taxi and fled the scene, leaving the couple dead and the cab driver injured but in stable condition.
The impact of the crash threw Raizel out of the vehicle. Rescue workers had to cut open the cab in order to extricate the father, and only afterwards did they notice the mother lying under a parked tractor trailer. Medics rushed her to the hospital, where doctors delivered the baby boy from the womb of the mother, who was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.
The death of a baby is tragic, always. But for the terrorists in Gaza and their supporters, the death of a child provides an irresistible public relations bonanza. Even when the killer of the baby isn’t their enemy, but their own weapons.
So when the Egyptian Prime Minister, Hesham Kandil, paid a visit to Gaza as a show of support for his fellow Islamists, a dead four-year-old child, Mahmoud Sadallah, was furnished for the photo opportunity. The staging was perfect: Kandil, gently laying a kiss on the dead child’s forehead, while Ismael Haniya, a Prime Minister of Hamas, holds the child aloft, as dozens of concerned men look on in the background.
Kandil fought back tears as he said to reporters gathered to record the moment, “What I saw today in the hospital, the wounded and the martyrs, the boy … whose blood is still on my hands and clothes, is something that we cannot keep silent about.”
CNN referred to Mahmoud as the “symbol of the war in Gaza.” Kandil told the cameras,”I saw the child who was martyred,” and called on Israel to halt “the offensive.”
CNN, The Mirror (UK) and other media, including Norway’s Dagbladet showed the touching scene.
But there is one problem: Israel isn’t responsible for Mahmoud Sadallah’s death. Hamas is.
Sadallah was brought to Shifra Hospital in Gaza City after having been struck while playing outside of his home. Although his family members told reporters that Mahmoud was killed in an airstrike from Israel, the facts don’t add up.
Israel agreed to a ceasefire during the time the Egyptian Prime Minister was in Gaza. Terrorists from Gaza continued firing during Kandil’s visit, but Israel held back, and certainly did not fire anywhere near where Kandil was visiting.
In addition, no one saw the strike, although there were reports that an explosion was heard. The damage was consistent with that of a much smaller weapon, such as a qassam or morter shell.
But what really seems to point away from Israel having been responsible is that although there was evidence of what caused the explosion, that evidence was immediately removed from the area and has not been seen since.
Mahmoud’s family said the boy was in an alley close to his home when he was killed, along with a man of about 20, but no one appeared to have witnessed the strike. The area showed signs that a projectile might have exploded there, with shrapnel marks in the walls of surrounding homes and a shattered kitchen window. But neighbors said local security officials quickly took what remained of the projectile, making it impossible to verify who fired it.
But the pictures have been taken and the CNN video has aired. Hamas now has its own Mohammed Al-Durah-style fake martyr with which to demonize Israel.