web analytics
July 29, 2016 / 23 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Belgium’

Belgium Charges Third Suspect in French Terror Plot

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016

Belgian authorities are continuing to find new suspects as they track down operatives in the tightly-woven terrorist network that criss-crosses the European Union.

A third suspect, Y.A., 35., was charged with terrorist activities Saturday in a Belgian court, federal prosecutors said, according to the Belgian Le Soir newspaper.

The suspect was charged along with two others – Abderamane Ameroud, 38, and Rabah M., 34, both Algerian citizens – in connection with an imminent terror plot foiled last week in France.

All three were linked to terror suspect Reda Kriket, 34, who was arrested in a Paris suburb.

French citizen Anis Bahri, 32, is being held in the Netherlands after being arrested in connection with the same alleged plot, according to USA Today. Bahri is currently fighting extradition to France, AFP reported.

Both weapons and explosives were found at Kriket’s apartment, according to Paris prosecutor Francois Molins, who said at the time “no specific target” had been identified.

However, the large amount of weapons and explosives that were found made it clear that an imminent plot involving “extreme violence” was being planned, he said.

Hana Levi Julian

Sky News: ISIS Plots ‘Imminent’ Attack on Turkish Jewish Children

Tuesday, March 29th, 2016

Da’esh (ISIS) terrorists have moved ahead with a plot to attack Jewish children in Turkey, according to a report by Sky News.

Turkish intelligence has warned of an “imminent” attack by the terror group, targeting schools, youth centers and kindergartens. The information was gleaned from six ISIS operatives arrested last week.

In Istanbul, the most likely target is said to be the synagogue in the Beyoglu district, which includes a Jewish school and community center. This synagogue is located close to the site where a suicide bombing by a Da’esh operative took place just 10 days ago, near the popular Taksim tourist area.

Three Israelis and an Iranian national died in that attack and dozens were wounded, including 11 Israelis. It is still not clear whether the bomber was targeting the Israeli tour group that was in the area at the time, or not, but at least one report claims the group was tracked by the bomber from the time they left their hotel.

A similar bombing, albeit on a larger scale was carried out by Da’esh last week in the Belgian capital of Brussels. Two suicide bombers blew up the departure hall at Saventem International Airport and another bomber blew up a metro station close to the headquarters of the European Union. At least 35 people were killed and more than 300 people were wounded in the multi-site attack.

“In light of these circumstances, extraordinary security measures are being taken above and beyond the high alert level already in place by the Turkish police, as well as vigilance within the Jewish community,” an intelligence source told Sky News.

“Undercover and other covert counter-terror measures are being implemented around the clock… This is a more than credible threat,” the source added. “This is an active plot.”

In light of the current threat, Israel has issued a Level 2 terror alert, urging its citizens not to travel to Turkey right now and those who are already there to leave as soon as possible.

Hana Levi Julian

3 More Terrorists Charged in Brussels Airport, Metro Attacks

Sunday, March 27th, 2016

Officials say three more terror suspects were charged in the Islamic State (ISIS) attacks on Zaventem Airport and the metro station near the headquarters of the European Union in Brussels last week.

Faycal Cheffou, the man in the light vest and dark hat seen in the airport CCTV video footage last week was arrested Thursday. The Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s Office said he was charged with “involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder,” according to Fox News. Belgian media said Cheffou was a local activist known to police as an agitator who tried to convert local homeless and asylum-seekers to radical Islam.

Two other suspects arrested Thursday, Raba N. and Aboubakar A., were both charged with “involvement in the activities of a terrorist group.”

On Sunday, police in Italy arrested an Algerian suspect in Bellizzi in the Salerno province, according to the ANSA Italian news agency.

The Algerian suspect is wanted by Belgian authorities on suspicion of producing fake residency documents linked to the Brussels Attacks, Italian National Police told CNN. In addition, he is also wanted in connection with the Nov. 13 terrorist massacre in Paris, police said in a statement on Twitter.

An American couple has been identified among the dead from last Tuesday’s attack in Brussels.

Justin and Stephanie Shults, ages 30 and 29 respectively, were missing since last Tuesday. Both were graduates of Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management. They were dropping off Stephanie’s mother at the airport when the bombers detonated their explosives. The mother emerged unscathed.

Officials revised the death toll from the Brussels attacks to 28, removing the bodies of the three suicide bombers from the count. Thus far, 24 of the victims have been identified by Brussels officials.

Hana Levi Julian

Belgian PM Cancels Event With US Secy of State Due to Terror Operations

Saturday, March 26th, 2016

Belgium’s Prime Minister Charles Michel canceled a planned event with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday as a sting operation to grab a “big fish” got underway in the Schaerbeek neighborhood in Brussels. Police captured Abderamane A. near a tram stop with a backpack that looked “suspicious.”

Witnesses who were in their homes near the scene at the time told The Wall Street Journal they heard two gunshots. Police shot the suspect in the leg when he refused a directive to hand over his backpack and lie down. The suspect was arrested and taken into custody, the witnesses said.

The backpack was detonated by a bomb-disposal robot, which produced a small a small bang, they said. A girl who was with him was unharmed. Her relationship was unclear.

Another suspect shot by Belgian police, Tawfik A. had resisted arrest during a house raid on Friday. He was connected to 34-year-old Frenchman Reda Kriket, a terrorist arrested a day earlier in France. A second suspect connected to Kriket, Rabah N., was also arrested Friday, without gunfire. Tawfik A. was reported released on Saturday, WSJ reported.

Kriket was linked to Abdel-hamid Abaaoud, suspected ringleader of the Nov.13 Paris massacre. Kriket had been convicted in absentia in Belgium last year along with Abaaoud.

Kriket was also allegedly in the advanced stage of planning another attack when he was captured last week . Police said they discovered weapons and explosives in his suburban Paris apartment.

Authorities said they have identified 24 of the 31 victims of last week’s attacks in Brussels; of the 340 wounded, 101 are still hospitalized.

Hana Levi Julian

Paris Terror Suspect Salah Abdeslam Claims He ‘Didn’t Know’ About Brussels Attack Plan

Thursday, March 24th, 2016

The sole Da’esh (ISIS) terrorist suspect who remained alive after the Nov. 13 Paris massacre, Salah Abdeslam, claims he knew nothing about the plan by an ISIS terror cell to attack the Brussels airport and metro system.

Even though the DNA from one of the killers was found in the same apartment in which he himself stayed for months, until he was taken into custody just four days prior to the Brussels attacks.

But attorney Sven Mary insists that his client, Abdeslam, did not know about the plot to attack Zaventem Airport and the metro system this past Tuesday in Brussels. The casualty numbers following the atrocity are rising: 31 people have been confirmed dead, 300 are wounded, including nearly 70 in critical condition, and several are still missing.

The attorney also told reporters in a briefing on Thursday that Abdeslam no longer plans to fight extradition to France for trial over the Nov. 13 massacre, in which 130 people lost their lives, and hundreds of others were wounded. Mary said his client wants to return there as soon as possible.

Abdeslam refused to cooperate with Belgian authorities Wednesday immediately following the attacks at the airport and metro system. His attorney told Europe 1 Radio he believed Abdeslam “wanted to see me first… I wouldn’t want him to clam up over lots of things. If he stopped talking it would run the risk of more Zaventem and other Bataclans. Perhaps that is what I want to avoid,” The Telegraph reported.

The attorney added that he would petition the investigating magistrate “so that she doesn’t oppose him leaving. He has understood that here is only a small part of the dossier. He wants to explain himself in France – that’s a good thing.”

Hana Levi Julian

Casualty Numbers Rising After Brussels Terror Attacks

Thursday, March 24th, 2016

The number of casualties confirmed in the Brussels terrorist attacks on Tuesday is rising.

So far authorities report that 31 people have been confirmed to have died in the two attacks on the Zaventem Airport and the metro station near European Union headquarters in the city.

In addition, a number of people are reported missing, including a British citizen and a person from India.

At least 300 people were wounded in the two attacks; 150 are still hospitalized, including 61 patients who are critically injured. Four patients are still unidentified, according to The Guardian newspaper.

The two suicide bombers who blew up the departure hall at the airport and the bomber who blew up the metro station are all dead. The Da’esh (ISIS) terror organization claimed responsibility for both attacks.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu offered Israel’s assistance to his Belgian counterpart, Prime Minister Charles Michel, and said the Jewish State had much to offer Belgium in its battle against terrorism.

Hana Levi Julian

UK Anti-Terror Video Advises, ‘Run, Hide and Tell’ [video]

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016

The British government is keeping its threat level at ‘severe’ in the wake of Tuesday’s attacks in Brussels — indicating a terrorist attack is highly likely.

To help its citizens, British Prime Minister David Cameron is releasing regular updates via Twitter and other media.

But there is also the special anti-terror video that was created and released by the National Police Chief’s Council in December 2015, in the wake of the November 13 massacre by Da’esh (ISIS) in Paris.

The video advises, “run, hide and tell.” The video tells British citizens to put their mobile phones on silent and plan for an attack at work or in a public place, among other things, according to Sputnik.

“If you hear gunshots, the best option is to evacuate, but only do so if it won’t put you in greater danger. First, consider your route. Act quickly and quietly, leaving your belongings behind. Insist others come with you, but don’t let their indecision slow you down. Once you have identified a safe route, run. Consider your route as you leave. Will it place you in the line of fire? Is it safer to wait for the attacker to move away before you continue? If you can’t move to safety, hide.”

Cameron also chaired a second meeting of the UK government’s emergency COBRA committee (Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms), the British crisis management center.

“Let me update you on the #Brussels terrorist attacks,” Cameron tweeted following the second meeting. “Details are still emerging but at least 34 were killed; many others injured. “

The UK has increased border controls and screening; extra police have been deployed, Cameron told media. “The terrorists want to destroy everything our two countries stand for but we will never let them.”

The UK Foreign Office has also dropped its previous warning against travel to Belgium. A cautionary statement urging people to remain “vigilant” and stay away from crowded places was issued by the Foreign Office.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/uk-anti-terror-video-advises-run-hide-and-tell-video/2016/03/23/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: