Posts Tagged ‘body’
Last week the Israeli Supreme Court issued a decree to show cause against the state prosecution, to explain why it would not release for burial the bodies of terrorists who committed violent crimes in Israel. Recently the Netanyahu government has adopted a policy whereby those bodies are not released automatically and are being kept at the Institute of Forensic Medicine in Abu Kabir.
This renewed demand by the high court came following an earlier ruling where the court had ordered the bodies of terrorists be released in exchange for families’ commitment to conduct quiet funerals, without anti-Israeli incitement. The judges approved of the requirement seeing as the hearing was held during the holy month of Ramadan, when Arabs have customarily expressed their religious feelings through rioting in the streets and throwing stones and firebombs at innocent civilians.
But the reality of those cases has been a complete reneging of every commitment made by the families in almost every instance. A funeral that was conducted for terrorist Ala Abu Jamal from Jabel Mukaber, who carried out a bloodthirsty attack on Malkhey Israel Street in downtown Jerusalem, quickly deteriorated into a massive riot. As Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan later put it, “The terrorist families simply lied to the high court. It’s a shame that the court chose to believe them and pressured police to hand over the bodies before Ramadan.”
Interestingly enough, the terrorists’ families are using exactly that argument in their newest appeal to the high court, saying that since Ramadan is long over, there’s no more justification to release the bodies. Essentially, the Arab petitioners are saying that Arab funerals have always been huge and riotous, rife with incitements against israel, so why stop now?
According to NRG, Jerusalem Police this week approached the family of Baha Alyan, who carried out a murderous attack on a bus at the Armon Hanatziv neighborhood, to negotiate the body’s release. Police offered to hand over the body in exchange for a late night funeral, with only 15 people present. The family eventually refused those terms and police pulled back their offer.David Israel
Thousands of Arabs attended the funeral of the car-ramming terrorist who deliberately ran over three IDF soldiers on Tuesday at the HaParsa Junction near the Jewish community of Dolev, according to Arab media.
The terrorist who struck the three soldiers, 36-year-old Riyad Shehada, was shot and killed by other soldiers nearby. Shehada, a resident of Qalandiya, was living temporarily in Beitunia, according to local sources.
The packed funeral procession began at the Ramallah governmental hospital and made its way to the Shehada family home in Beitunia, according to the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news agency. “Following final farewells, his body was taken to a mosque in Qalandiya… for funeral prayers,” Ma’an reported.
The three soldiers who were hit by the terrorist were targeted as they were conducting an unannounced security check on vehicles at the entrance to the Arab city of Beitunia, a suburb of Ramallah.
Weeks ago, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed that bodies of Arabs who were killed during terror attacks against Israelis would not be released to their families or to the Palestinian Authority.
He explained at the time that the large funerals that followed such returns had become major incitement and recruitment ceremonies to encourage further terror attacks.
Shortly after, however, Israeli media learned the body of a terrorist had been returned to a family in the Palestinian Authority. After numerous calls to various ministries, the IDF and police, JewishPress.com was told “it was a mistake.” Other media were told the same.
Earlier this week, the prime minister’s office released a statement that the return of the terrorist’s body was carried out per the exclusive decision of Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon. The PMO said in the statement the discretionary power over this issue had been restored to the defense minister on Sunday.
One of the Kefir Brigade soldiers hit by the terrorist is hospitalized in the intensive care unit at Tel Hashomer Medical Center’s Sheba Hospital. He is in very serious condition, currently on life-support.
The two others are hospitalized in fair condition at Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem.
Hana Levi Julian
The body of axe-wielding Arab terrorist Ibrahim Baradiyeh has somehow been returned to his family, despite a direct order from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu prohibiting the return of any more terrorist bodies to their families.
Baradiyeh attacked an IDF soldier in Judea Thursday afternoon in the Arab village of El Aroub, located along Highway 60 between the Gush Etzion junction and Kiryat Arba.
The terrorist was hiding in the bushes and ambushed the soldier as he passed by, swinging the axe at his head. The soldier was protected by his helmet and sustained minor injuries. The terrorist was shot and killed by a second soldier.
Sources in the Palestinian Authority told the Hebrew-language Ynet site that the body was returned by Israel on Friday. A few hours later, the IDF Spokesperson said in a statement that “due to a misunderstanding” the terrorist’s body had been returned. “The return of terrorists’ bodies is carried out in accordance with the decisions of the political echelon,” he said.
Baradiyeh was a member of the Hamas terrorist organization who served time in an Israeli prison.
Netanyahu ordered Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon last month not to allow the return of any more terrorists’ bodies to their families or to the Palestinian Authority. The order was confirmed March 29 by sources in the Prime Minister’s Office.
Ya’alon, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eizenkot and Maj.-Gen. Yoav Mordechai, Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) have strongly disagreed with this position of holding terrorists’ bodies, which is one that supported by Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan.Hana Levi Julian
Israel has returned the body of Jerusalem Arab terrorist Musab Razali to his family. Razali was involved in a terror attack in December 2015.
This is the second body to be returned to Jerusalem family members during the current escalation, according to officials, who say eight bodies are still in custody.Jewish Press News Briefs
The mountain trek of a lifetime has ended for Israeli hiker Michal Gili Charkesky, whose lifeless body was recovered today from the Himalayas.
Israeli and Nepalese searchers found the body of the missing 36-year-old woman on Monday, according to Israel’s Foreign Ministry, who said her family has been informed of her demise.
Charkesky disappeared in the Himalayas last week along with dozens of other hikers who were caught by surprise in one of the massive snow storms for which the mountain range is well known. The storm and a subsequent avalance so far has claimed the lives of 40, including four Israelis. At least 12 other Israelis were injures.
Israel’s Foreign Ministry told journalists on Monday that its embassy in Kathmandu is in the process of arranging for Charkesky’s body to be returned to Israel.
Keshav Pandey of the Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal said today (Monday, Oct. 20) was the last day of the search and rescue operation. “After this we can only hope that those who are missing will establish contact with us or with their families,” Pandey said.
“We don’t think that any tourist is missing now. I am getting reports that some local porters and tour guides who were on the trek have not been traced so far,” Pandey added. The search team has rescued more than 250 people.
Among the casualties were hikers from Canada, Israel, Japan, India, Nepal, Poland and Slovakia. Many died while trying to descend in freezing “whiteout” conditions from the highest pass of the 240-kilometer (150-mile) trail around Annapurna, survivors said.
Annapurna is known for its especially dramatic views of scenery that includes crags and hamlets for miles around.Hana Levi Julian