web analytics
July 30, 2016 / 24 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘bomb threat’

Breaking: Bomb Threats Lock Down 8 Schools Northern New Jersey

Wednesday, April 13th, 2016

Students in several northern New Jersey high schools were forced to leave their classrooms due to a bomb threat Wednesday.

Bomb threats were reported Wednesday at eight schools in New Jersey, according to local media. North Jersey schools received bomb threats in an automated call on Wednesday morning, according to the NorthJersey.com website. Not all were in session: some are on spring break this week.

New Jersey has received threats several times before; in January 11 schools received robo-call messages routed through California that made references to explosives or mass shootings.

Among the schools targeted Wednesday morning were Fair Lawn High School (spring break); Midland Park Junior/Senior High School (in session); Hawthorne High School (in session); Lodi High School (in session), Paramus High School (in session), Dwight Morrow High School in Paramus (spring break) and Passaic Valley High School in Little Falls (in session).

The threats came a day after a presentation at Passaic High School warning students about the consequences of calling in fake threats. There have been eight bomb threats called in to that school so far this year. Wednesday was not one of those days, however: on Tuesday, sappers from the Passaic County Sheriff’s office met with half of the school, and were scheduled to meet with more students on Wednesday.

Schools in Bergen and Passaic counties have been targeted with bomb threats in recent months as well.

Last month classes were interrupted in nine Bergen County districts after schools received bomb threats that turned out to be fake. At least one school was evacuated and several others received “shelter in place” orders. In February five New Jersey schools received bomb threats and at least two were evacuated.

There’s been a rash of bomb threats robocalled into dozens of schools in the eastern United States this week, closing classes and forcing authorities to evacuate schools. Some schools were located as far west as Indiana.

Several schools in Massachusetts also received bomb threats this week. On Monday (April 11), State Police spokesperson David Procopio said “numerous “ threats were received at schools in Hudson, Hopkinton, and Leominster. Cambridge, Marlboro and Brookline high schools also received automated robo-call bomb threats. The schools were evacuated and police swept the buildings. Melrose high school and middle school were also threatened, and faced a temporary “shelter in place” order.

A similar string of robo-call bomb threats were recorded on voice mail in Lake County, Indiana Monday night, prompting the closure of nine schools in Lake County, Indiana for Tuesday. But by the afternoon an unidentified suspect was in custody. The school superintendent said in a statement released later in the day, “It is important to share with everyone that the individual who is in custody did not have the capacity to carry out the threats that were made on the 911 calls.”

Hana Levi Julian

NYPD Evacuates 770 After 911 Gets Bomb Threat

Wednesday, December 9th, 2015

A bomb threat called in Tuesday night to New York’s 911 emergency switchboard forced a complete evacuation of “770” — the World Headquarters of Chabad-Lubavitch, based in Brooklyn’s Crown Heights neighborhood.

The call was allegedly traced back to a “psych ward,” according to a police source quoted by COLLive.com, but “we’re still taking all precautions,” NYPD reportedly said.

Just a few hours earlier, police and counterterrorism experts had met with the heads of Jewish schools and organizations in the neighborhood for precisely this reason: to talk about potential terrorist scenarios and the measures that were in place to prevent and deal with them.

Around the same time, “770” had been filled with senior citizens for a “Chanukah Hakhel” program to celebrate the holiday. (This year Chanukah falls on the year of Hakhel, when Jews of old were commanded to gather together for a special reading of the Torah by the king of Israel himself.)

The local Crown Heights civil Shomrim security patrol assisted with the evacuation, working together as translators in some cases with members of the NYPD Emergency Services Unit.

The officers were needed to explain the urgency of the situation to non-English speakers in various languages: what needed to be done, and why, as quickly as possible. “Everyone cooperated and the building was successfully evacuated in quick and orderly fashion,” according to CrownHeights.info.

People were allowed to re-enter the building after police completed a walk-through and inspection.

Hana Levi Julian

Bomb Threat Clears Out FIFA Congress (for Lunch)

Friday, May 29th, 2015

Zurich police have confirmed there was a bomb threat to blow up the FIFA congress, but they have since allowed the annual convention to continue following a search. The police received the threat by telephone on Friday morning.

FIFA general-secretary Jerome Valcke said: “In consultation with FIFA, the local authorities decided as a precaution to search the premises during the lunch break.”

The threat temporarily postponed the vote on a Palestinian Authority imitative to expel Israel from FIFA, unless a compromise is reached first.

Delegates and journalists were allowed back into the hall once police officers cleared the premises for a search, according to a Zurich site, The Local.

FIFA official Jérome Valcke said when the delegates returned to the meeting hall that they had received an anonymous threat and that the police had searched the premises during the meeting lunch break before saying all was clear.

“FIFA and the authorities immediately evaluated the situation,” Valcke said.

“The premises have been cleared now by the authorities. The Congress can start again.”

“So you have again my smile,” FIFA president Sepp Blatter responded.

FIFA president Blatter is seeking re-election amid a scandal after seven top FIFA officials were arrested this week on charges of racketeering involving millions of dollars of bribes and corruption charges.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Weekend Bomb Threats Tail Flights to Northeastern US

Tuesday, May 26th, 2015

While Jews in the Diaspora were in synagogues celebrating the second day of the Shavuot holiday (known in English as the “Festival of Weeks”) others who were heading for Boston, New York and Newark, New Jersey found they were facing more excitement than they might have bargained for.

A rash of bomb threats tailed at least six passenger planes into northeastern U.S. airports over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Three of the threats targeted planes heading for JFK Airport in New York City, including Air France Flight 22 from Paris, escorted by two Air Force jets scrambled “just to make sure.”

The FBI, called to the scene, later said “no incidents or hazards reported on board the flight by either the passengers or its crew,” ABC News reported.

The decision to send an Air Force escort followed an anonymous call received by Maryland State Police McHenry Barrack in Garret County, warning of a “chemical weapons threat” aboard the aircraft.

A Saudi Airlines flight from Saudi Arabia was also escorted and later cleared.

The third threat, to an American Airlines flight from Birmingham, England, was quickly determined to be not credible and the aircraft cleared to go straight to the terminal.

Two of the threatened planes were heading for Newark Airport in New Jersey. The two flights involved a Delta Airlines flight from London and a United Airlines flight from Madrid. Neither required an escort and both threats proved not credible.

Likewise, a third threat proved not credible for a Delta flight heading from Paris to Logan Airport in Boston, officials told reporters.

Hana Levi Julian

Credible Bomb Threats Ground Two US Airliners in Atlanta, GA

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

Two F-16 fighter jets were scrambled to escort two passenger jets into Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport – one of the largest airports in the world — at 3 pm local time Saturday.

The move came in response to what was deemed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to be “credible” bomb threats on the Twitter social media site.

Airport spokesman Reese McCranie told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “We believe the threats to be credible,” but declined to explain why.

“While authorities have not yet released information on the Twitter account responsible for the specific threatening tweets, someone calling himself ‘King Zortic’ first posted messages to Delta on Twitter around noon that said, ‘I have a bomb on one of your planes, but I forgot which one when I left the airport. Can you help me find it?,’ and ‘It was from Portland to Atlanta, I forgot the flight number, though. It was something like DL156 or DL1556 I forgot the order.’

“Another tweet read, ‘It was smuggled through one of the back entrances because the airport didn’t have much security around one of the entrances so the bomb is at the back of the plane. Everyone will know when it’s detonated.’

“Messages later were sent to Southwest Airlines from the same Twitter account read (sic), ‘A bomb was placed on SWA2492. It will be detonated at a random time of my choosing,’ and ‘If anything happens to me I’ll make sure that more flights are targeted. I strongly suggest you don’t try anything stupid,’” the newspaper reported.

In Atlanta, the two targeted flights taxied to a remote area once they had landed. Southwest Airlines Flight 2492 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Atlanta and Delta Flight 1156 from Portland, Oregon to Atlanta were then both swept by bomb squad units and K-9 teams after passengers deplaned.

Passengers from the two flights were questioned and their luggage was searched by bomb-sniffing dogs.

The two fighter jets that were scrambled from McEntire Joint National Guard Base in South Carolina returned to base after the planes landed.

Following extensive searches and screening, airport officials wrote in a tweet: “All clear for both aircraft & normal airport operations have resumed. Thank you for your patience. Safety & security are our top priorities.”

Britt Johnson, Special Agent in Charge of the Atlanta FBI Field Office told media the FBI will “absolutely be doing everything we can to identify who made the initial threats and track them down.”

Bomb threats that turned out to be false alarms were also made in recent days against Delta flights headed for Tel Aviv and for Raleigh, North Carolina.

Hana Levi Julian

Hadasim School in Sharon Region Evacuated

Monday, June 2nd, 2014

The Hadasim school in the Sharon region was evacuated late this morning after a suspicious item was spotted in the building.

Security and police forces were alerted and arrived immediately to check whether or not the object is a bomb.

Staff and students were quickly and quietly removed from the building and currently are waiting for further instructions. No further details were made available.

Hana Levi Julian

Bomb Threats Close Classes at Two Houston Synagogues

Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

Bomb threats on two Houston synagogues Wednesday closed classes, one day after a similar threat on a court forced a quick evacuation.

The synagogue bomb threats were called in to called in to Congregation Beth Israel, a Reform temple, and the Conservative Congregation Or Ami on Wednesday afternoon.

Both synagogues canceled Hebrew school classes for Thursday but said they would reopen Friday with more security. Officials searched the buildings and did not find anything suspicious.

The Houston Police Department, Anti-Defamation League, FBI and Department of Homeland Security all were notified about the threats, Congregation Beth Israel told the Houston Chronicle.

A message on the Beth Israel website said that a congregational dinner scheduled for Friday night was canceled; it did not say if the cancellation was related to the bomb threat.

Tuesday’s bomb threat on the HoustonMunicipalCourtsBuilding resulted in the evacuation of several courtrooms.

No explosive device was found.

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/bomb-threats-close-classes-at-two-houston-synagogues/2013/05/02/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: