web analytics
September 2, 2015 / 18 Elul, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘bombing’

Canada Foils Terror Plot Against US Consulate in Toronto

Thursday, March 12th, 2015

Canadian authorities nabbed a potential terrorist before he could carry out a plot to bomb the U.S. Consulate in Toronto, CTVNews reported Wednesday.

Jhanzab Malik, a Pakistani national holding permanent resident status in Canada, also allegedly planned to attack targets in the city’s financial district as well.

He was arrested on suspicion of “engaging in terrorism and being a danger to national security.” The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is claiming Malik has a “violent and extremist mindset” but has not charged him.

The suspect was ordered to be held on “security grounds” pending deportation following an immigration hearing on Wednesday. He appeared via video link from Lindsay, Ontario; it is not clear why he is being held for deportation rather than being charged under the country’s anti-terror laws.

The CBSA alleged that Malik befriended and attempted to radicalize an undercover RCMP officer; he showed him videos of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) beheading captives. He also claimed to be a friend of American-born Al Qaeda imam Anwar al-Awlaki, killed in Yemen by the U.S. in a 2011 air strike, according to CBC.

Malik originally entered the country on a student visa in 2004 but gained permanent status via his wife’s sponsorship five years later.

The CBSA has been tracking the suspect for some time; in 2013, he was questioned by Canadian border guards and then by intelligence officials at Pearson International Airport upon arrival from Libya, where he said he had been teaching.

Malik also claimed during that questioning to have been visiting Saudi Arabia – but it is now believed he received weapons, landmine and combat training at a terrorist camp in Libya.

The government is working to pass a new anti-terror bill that is expected to put teeth into Canada’s law enforcement abilities. The country is still on high alert following two terror attacks that took the lives of two Canadian soldiers.

ISIS Claims US Female Hostage Killed in Jordanian Air Strike – But Shows No Proof

Saturday, February 7th, 2015

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed Friday that an American female hostage being held by the group is dead. The group said 26-year-old Kayla Mueller, a humanitarian aide worker, was killed when a Jordanian air strike hit the building in Syria where she was being held hostage, the SITE Intelligence Group reported.

ISIS said on Twitter that Mueller was buried under the rubble of a building near Raqqa, the group’s de facto capital. “The failed Jordanian aircraft killed an American female hostage,” the message said. “No mujahid was injured in the bombardment and all praise is due to Allah.”

A State Department spokeswoman said the U.S. was investigating the claim but could not confirm them.

“We are obviously deeply concerned by these reports,” National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan told Business Insider. “We have not at this time seen any evidence that corroborates ISIL’s claim.”

Mueller, a native of Prescott, Arizona, was captured in August 2013 after leaving a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Aleppo, Syria. She is the last known American hostage being held by ISIS.

If the reports turn out to be true, Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) will likely step up its attacks against the group as they will no longer pose danger to any Americans. Some plans to strike at the group until this point were rejected on the grounds “these things would be too risky to Kayla” said a military official interviewed by Foreign Policy magazine, on condition of anonymity.

The terror group demanded a ransom of more than $6 million in exchange for her freedom, according to The Daily Beast.

Jordan stepped up its own attacks last week after the video announcement by ISIS that it had executed a Jordanian pilot being held hostage by burning him alive in a cage. Amman has since intensified its bombing raids daily in retaliation against the group.

Jordanian Warplanes Fly Over Pilot’s Hometown on Return from ‘Mission’

Thursday, February 5th, 2015

Jordanian pilots honored their dead wing man Thursday in a flyby over his hometown as they returned from an unnamed “mission,” Jordan state-run television reported.

King Abdullah II was visiting the pilot’s family in Karak also on Thursday, just two days after the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terror group released the barbaric video showing the captured pilot being burned alive in a cage.

Jordan’s military vowed to take full revenge on the group. The force is participating in the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS.

The Hashemite monarch asked the Obama administration earlier this week for more “sophisticated air-to-ground weaponry, ground-to-ground weaponry, weapons like anti-tank [and] spare parts,” said Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) Chairman Senator John McCain. Abdullah II managed to submit his request just prior cutting his visit short and flying back to Amman to deal with the murder of his air force pilot.

The senator told media that committee members from both sides of the aisle agreed to sign a letter to President Barack Obama to fast-track deliveries. He added that if the administration did not act immediately in response to the letter, “which every member is going to sign on this committee, we will then introduce legislation direct to the floor.”

Media reports in Arab and Kurdish news outlets reported overnight Wednesday that Jordanian Air Force fighter pilots struck dozens of ISIS fighters in Mosul, Iraq. An unconfirmed report claimed an ISIS commander for the Ninveh area, Abu Obeidah El Tunisi, was killed in the air strike.

Jordan threatened to avenge the death of its pilot at the hands of ISIS; on Wednesday two imprisoned Al Qaeda terrorists were hanged at dawn. Both were on death row and awaiting execution for multiple murders.

Remember the Terror Attack on Jerusalem’s Supersol Agron

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

The family of a victim of terror fears Israelis will forget their loved one who died to give life to the Jewish State in 1969.

“Very few people are aware of this terror attack that took place in Jerusalem forty-six years ago, on Feb. 2, 1969,” Michael Jankelowitz wrote in an email marking the anniversary of the bombing at Jerusalem’s Supersol Agron – the supermarket on Agron Street in the capital.

Two Hebrew University students were killed that day: Eddie Joffe, formerly of Capetown, South Africa and Leon Kanner.

“Together with the Joffe family we are requesting the Jerusalem Municipalty and Supersol [together] place a plaque by the pavement near the entrance to Supersol on Agron Street in Jerusalem to mark the murder” of the two men, so their memories will be perpetuated.

On the lovely road that winds down to the Dead Sea from Be’er Sheva and Arad, one can see numerous memorials to those who have died in traffic accidents. They dot the landscape on each side of the narrow highway with various types of sculptures, each bearing a plaque with the name of the departed and the date he or she died.

This should not seem so difficult and one has to wonder why after nearly half a century that it has not yet come to pass. And yet, upon reflection, it is also true that generally within a short time after any terror attack, the scene is spotlessly cleaned and as if born anew; no trace of the tragedy remains.

Perhaps this is the way of Israel not to allow our enemies any way in which to gloat over our losses; our grief remains our own, private and within our hearts forever. If one cannot find evidence of terror, then can one say a scar on the nation exists? No victory to the terrorist…

Rest in peace, victims of terror. We remember you forever.

NYT: Dead Argentine Prosecutor Drafted Warrant to Arrest President Fernandez

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

The federal prosecutor who died under suspicious circumstances in Argentina last month had drafted a warrant for the arrest of President Cristina Fernandez, the New York Times reported Tuesday.

The lead investigator into the massive 1994 terrorist bombing of a Jewish center in Buenos Aires, Alberto Nisman was found dead in his apartment just one day before he was set to appear in court.

Nisman would have presented his findings in the probe had he lived, including a claim that Fernandez had conspired to derail his own investigation. The prosecutor had drafted the warrant for her arrest on suspicion of trying to protect Iranian officials from being implicated in the bombing, according to the report.

Not unaware of the danger around him, Nisman had already sent his findings and conclusions to the judge in advance of his appearance in the courtroom, a day before his death.

Although police and Fernandez initially claimed that Nisman had committed suicide, forensic results made it clear the prosecutor’s gunshot wound was not self-inflicted.

Forensics Prove Jewish Center Bombing Case Prosecutor Alberto Nisman Murdered

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

The plot thickens in the shooting death of Argentina’s federal prosecutor, Alberto Nisman, as the first journalist to report on the case flees the country.

The investigator – who four days earlier had given a judge a report on a government deal to prevent prosecution of former Iranian officials over the 1994 bombing of the Buenos Aires Jewish center – was shot from a distance of at least 15 centimeters (6 inches).

That’s no suicide, as government officials such as President Cristina Fernandez Kirchner initially claimed.

Forensic examination also showed the bullet wound to Nisman’s head had no exit wound – which it would have, had the gun been pressed to his skull as in a suicide.

The 10 police officers assigned to protect him have been suspended and are under investigation, according to The Associated Press. Lead investigator Viviana Fein questioned the two officers assigned to the door of Nisman’s building and will ultimately decide whether to try them, and on which charges if so.

The prosecutor was found in his bathroom Sunday night with a .22 caliber handgun next to his body – making it appear to the untrained eye as if he committed suicide – the day before he was to testify at a congressional hearing over the Jewish center bombing case.

Diego Lagomarsino spoke with authorities soon after Nisman’s death, saying he had given the .22 to the prosecutor because he wanted it for protection. He is not named as a suspect. However, justice officials say he now cannot be located. They have ordered that he be barred from leaving the country – if he hasn’t already skipped town – without first securing permission from the authorities.

Well aware of his risks, Nisman took precautions and had already handed the judge in the case his 289-page report. Nisman had alleged that President Kirchner had secretly cut a deal to prevent the prosecution of former Iranian officials who were accused of being involved in the 1994 car bombing that killed 85 people and wounded more than 200 others.

Argentina allegedly agreed to withdraw the “red notices” on Interpol seeking the arrests of former and current Iranian fugitives in the unsolved case, in exchange for exporting grain to Iran, who would pay with oil.

Initially Kirchner posted a letter on social media saying she was convinced Nisman had killed himself, but quickly reversed that stance as evidence began to flow in. Her second posting asserted that she was convinced it was no suicide.

Instead, the president wrote that Nisman’s allegations were based on “false information” given to him by the former head of intelligence services. This second letter, published Thursday, avowed that Nisman’s death was a deliberate attempt to damage the credibility of her administration.

Meanwhile, Damian Pachter, a journalist for the English-language Buenos Aires Herald, is on his way to Israel.

Pachter, who is Jewish and is an Israeli citizen, was the first to report the death of Alberto Nisman. He told several Israeli publications he was planning to seek refuge in the Jewish State.

“I left because my life was in danger. My phones were being monitored. I intend to return to Argentina when my sources tell me conditions have changed. I don’t think that will happen in the term of this government,” he told a local internet site.

His employer said in a statement the newspaper was willing to help him in any way possible and that he had not expressed his concerns at the time.

Pachter left Argentina on Saturday, according to Foro de Periodismo Argentino, the local journalism group, which added the reporter had said he was being followed on Friday and felt unsafe.

Argentine Special Prosecutor Alberto Nisman

Monday, January 19th, 2015

Over the years, Argentine Prosecutor Alberto Nisman made some powerful enemies from Iran to his own country’s president.

He was set to testify this morning on a cover-up connected to Iran’s Buenos Aires Jewish Center bombing that reached the highest levels of his own government.

Nisman’s body was found, shot dead, in his home.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/tv/video-picks/argentine-special-prosecutor-alberto-nisman/2015/01/19/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: