web analytics
December 11, 2016 / 11 Kislev, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘bombing’

Biden Attacks ‘Overwhelmingly’ Frustrating Israel Hours after Bus Bombing

Tuesday, April 19th, 2016

Vice President Joe Biden attacked time and again the Netanyahu government which he said causes the White House “overwhelming frustration,” in a speech at the leftwing J Street organization’s annual gala dinner on Monday. “The present course Israel’s on is not one that’s likely to secure its existence as a Jewish, democratic state— and we have to make sure that happens,” Biden said.

Biden recalled his recent meetings with both Netanyahu and PA Chairman Abbas, concluding that “there is at the moment no political will that I observed among Israelis or Palestinians to move forward with serious negotiations. The trust that is necessary to take risks for peace is fractured on both sides.”

According to Politico, the tone and direction of that Biden reference and his overall speech “seemed to rule out the chances of a final year peace push from the Obama administration.” Perhaps.

Biden acknowledged the attack on a Jerusalem bus by Arab terrorists that took place on the same day he was sharing his frustrations regarding the Netanyahu government’s lack of willingness to pursue the two-state solution. Biden condemned the bombing, saying it had been done by “misguided cowards.” He offered prayers to the injured and their families. Which is probably more realistic at this point than anything else the administration could do to promote its goals in the region. That should be frustrating indeed.

Biden began his speech with praise for another guest of honor, young, first-term MK Stav Shaffir (Zionist Camp – Labor), who reminded him, he said, of the time he had run for the Senate at the age of 29. “May your views once again begin to have a majority opinion in the Knesset,” Biden said.

Not likely. In fact, if Labor ever wants to be a contender in Israeli coalition politics, it’ll have to move to the center—as the majority of its members have been advocating—which could mean the dropping of needless indulgences like Shaffir.

Towards the end, Biden said, “We are Israel’s maybe not-only friend, but only absolutely certain friend.” That statement will be tested in November, after the elections, when the US Administration will have to decide whether or not to veto a UN Security Council resolution unilaterally declaring a Palestinian state.

JNi.Media

3 Wounded in Central Istanbul Bus Stop Bombing

Sunday, April 10th, 2016

At least three people were wounded Saturday night after a bomb detonated at a bus stop in the Mecidiyeköy neighborhood of the Şişli district, in central Istanbul. It is one of the more prominent business quarters of Turkey’s largest city.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. Earlier in the day, Turkish police discovered a suspicious bag at another bus stop. The security forces deployed a bomb squad robot to safely detonate the bomb within.

The blast came just hours after a ‘credible threat’ alert from the U.S. embassy in Turkey, warning citizens to stay away from tourist sites and crowded areas in Istanbul and Antalya.

The American alert followed a renewed “high concrete threat” warning on Friday by Israel to its citizens. Israel’s National Security Council Counter-Terrorism Bureau urged Israelis to leave Turkey at once, and advised those who were planning to travel to the country to postpone their trips for now.

Emergency response teams sealed off the area as Turkish police and security personnel swarmed in to determine who was behind the bombing.

Hana Levi Julian

27 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Ankara Terrorist Bombing

Sunday, March 13th, 2016

At least 27 people are dead and 75 are wounded after an explosion rocked the Turkish capital of Ankara shortly before 7 pm Sunday evening near the Justice Ministry.

The blast was caused by a bomb-laden car that reportedly exploded between two passenger buses in Ankara’s Kizilay Square, the Ankara Governorate announced in a statement Sunday evening.

Numerous vehicles were ignited and burst into flames at the scene. Several buses also were partly burned or completely incinerated.

The area was quickly evacuated as a precaution against a second attack, according to the Turkish Hurriyet Daily News site.

Wounded victims were rushed to 10 different hospitals across the city, according to CNN Türk.

Smoke could be seen rising above the city from a distance as far as 2.5 kilometers away, according to witnesses quoted by the Daily Sabah news site.

Kizilay Square serves as the city’s main square and main transportation terminus, where approximately 10 bus stops converge in one site.

It is known as the heart of the city’s commercial and entertainment center. The site is only one kilometer from the site of last month’s attack by PKK terrorists.

The government-controlled Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) declared a broadcasting ban on images of the scene and victims.

This is the third major explosion to hit Ankara since last October.

Last month on February 17, a suicide car bomber targeted a military shuttle bus carrying recruits to a facility in central Ankara near the parliament building. At least 29 people lost their lives and 81 others were wounded.

On October 10, 2015, at least 103 were killed in an attack by alleged Da’esh operatives from the ISIS terrorist group who bombed a peace rally near the Ankara Railway Station.

Hana Levi Julian

Danish Girl Turns Teen Terrorist, Plots Bombing With Older Man Against Jewish Schools

Wednesday, March 9th, 2016

It’s not only in Judea, Samaria and Gaza that radical Islamist leaders have succeeded in twisting adolescent angst for killing campaigns against Jews and Israel.

Police prevented untold tragedy at two Jewish schools in Denmark this year with the arrest of a teenage Danish girl and an older man.

The 16-year-old and her 24-year-old suspected accomplice were indicted this Tuesday in Denmark (March 8) on charges of planning a terrorist operation against two Jewish schools in Denmark.

Their remand has been extended by the court until March 30. Neither was identified by name.

The girl was arrested in January in the small Denmark village of Kundby on the island of Zealand. She was alleged to be only 15 when she and the older man formulated their plot.

The two had planned to attack the Carolineskolen Jewish private school in Copenhagen, and the Sydskolen public school in the western Zealand town of Fårevejle.

The case will remain behind closed doors as officials continue their investigation, trying to determine whether others were involved in the planned terrorist operations. Prosecutor Peter Ahleson did release some information, however: He told Denmark’s The Local the pair attempted to create TATP (also known as acetone peroxide) for their planned bombing of Carolineskolen.

TATP is the same explosive that was used in the November Paris attacks.

Prosecutor Kristian Kirk added following the hearing that the pair attempted to create the explosives for their planned attack on Sydskolen out of fertilizer, petrol, diesel and other chemicals. Kirk added that police foiled their plot by arresting them, but gave no further details.

In a joint statement, Mid and West Zealand Police and the Danish Security Intelligence Service (PET) said the targeted schools had both been contacted.

The girl is described by Danish media as a recent convert to Islam and reportedly a member of the radical Islamist Hizb ut-Tahrir (Party of Liberation) group. The local BT tabloid reported that she made it clear on her Facebook page she hoped to convert other Danes as well.

Hizb ut-Tahrir is not a new organization. The group was founded in 1953 as a Sunni Muslim organization in Jerusalem and today has an estimated worldwide membership of one million. Led by Ata Abu Rashta, the group is particularly active in Western nations and supports the re-establishment of the Islamic Caliphate, or Islamic State, as does ISIS.

It is not clear whether the two are linked.

The organization is outlawed in Turkey and Germany, which recognized the group’s lethal potential.

Turkish American scholar Zeyno described the organization in 2012 as a “conveyor belt for terrorists.”

Oddly, the group is legal in Australia, the UK, the U.S., Denmark and myriad other Western nations. Hizb ut-Tahrir promotes the overthrow of democracies and dictatorships alike, arguing they are un-Islamic.

As all the others, Hizb ut-Tahrir is also anti-Zionist and calls for the “illegal entity” of the State of Israel to be “dismantled” or “destroyed.”

The group’s Australian leader, Ismail al-Wahwah, called for a jihad against the Jewish people in July 2014, referring to Jews as a “cancerous tumor” that must be “uprooted and thrown back to where it came.”

Hana Levi Julian

Argentina Spymaster Testifies Fernandez Govt Involved in Death of Prosecutor Alberto Nisman

Thursday, March 3rd, 2016

The most famous spy chief in Argentina told a local judge this week that he believes prosecutor Alberto Nisman was murdered by someone linked to the government of former President Cristina Fernandez.

Santiago Blanco, attorney for Jaime Stiuso, told the Vorterix radio station on Wednesday that his client does not have “direct proof” that Nisman was murdered. “He is interpreting the precedents and motives that might have led to Nisman’s killing,” Blanco told the station.

Nisman was found dead of a gunshot to the head at his apartment on Jan. 18, 2015, just before he was to publish the findings of an investigation of the deadly July 18, 1994 bombing at the AMIA Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires.

On October 25, 2006, Nisman and a colleague had formally accused the government of Iran of having directed the bombing, and the Lebanon-based Iranian proxy Hezbollah terror group with carrying it out.

But according to a report by the New York Times, Nisman was holding a warrant for the arrest of Fernandez. Had he lived he would have presented his findings the next day to the court, including a claim that Fernandez had conspired to derail his investigation and had conspired with the Iranians to protect them from implication in the bombing. After his death the case against Fernandez was dismissed.

But his evidence did not die with him, as many probably hoped.

Just days before Nisman was found dead, he took measures to make sure his research into the bombing and high-level conspiracy didn’t disappear with him, according to a Makor Rishon report.

Nisman sent an email to three friends with a backup of his research and report. One of them was Israeli-Argentine writer and educator, Gustavo Daniel Perednik.

A month before, Perednik met with Nisman in a cafe, where Nisman told him about what he was working on. Nisman told Perednik, “In case someone murders me, all the data is saved.”

The emails were sent from Nisman’s private, secure account in the prosecutor’s office. It was the last email from Nisman Perednik received.

Another recipient is believed to be Jaime Stiuso, the country’s former chief of counterintelligence. Stiuso was fired last year by then-President Cristina Fernandez.

Attorney Federico Casal, representing Nisman’s family, was present in the courtroom for Stiuso’s testimony. He told local media the former intelligence director directly blamed the former president for the prosecutor’s death. Stiuso also reportedly implicated Fernandez administration officials in Nisman’s death, including former Cabinet chief Anibal and former legal secretary Carlos Zannini.

It was Ricardo Sáenz, the prosecutor at the Buenos Aires Criminal Appeals Court who insisted that the probe into Nisman’s death be handled by federal judicial authorities.

Sáenz also confirmed Nisman’s death was a homicide, the Buenos Aires Herald reported last week.

In a ruling presented to the Appeals Court, Sáenz supported the hypothesis of the plaintiffs in the case, Nisman’s daughters, his ex-wife Sandra Arroyo Salgado, and his mother and sister, arguing the case could no longer be handled by Judge Fabiana Palmaghini, who took over the probe from prosecutor Viviana Fein last December. He insisted the investigation required a federal magistrate.

“The procedural action in this case according to the evidence produced until now is the hypothesis that Alberto Nisman was the victim of a homicide,” the prosecutor said. Sáenz raised the issue of Diego Lagomarsino, the IT engineer who worked with Nisman at the AMIA special unit, and was the source of the .22 caliber Bersa gun that ended Nisman’s life.

The 1994 attack killed 85 people and left hundreds wounded. It was the deadliest bombing in the history of the country. Argentina is home to 200,000 Jews – the largest such community in Latin America and the sixth largest Jewish community outside the State of Israel.

Hana Levi Julian

Russia Resumes Bombing in Syria, Ceasefire is Shaky

Monday, February 29th, 2016

The cease-fire in Syria that is just two days old may already be gradually grinding to a halt.

Russia has resumed its bombing operations and the regime has launched a new offensive against Homs. Other breaches have been reported as well.

Contrary to the general international perception, the arrangements worked out with the regime of President Bashar al-Assad and “moderate” opposition leaders by the United States and Russia do not apply to the entire geographic area of the country.

Thus Russian warplanes were in the skies across Syria on Monday, particularly in northern Aleppo, an area not included in the cease-fire.

“Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) reportedly continue to advance south of Shaddadi and toward the ISIS-held town of Markadah,” reported the Levantine Group think tank. The opposition forces were reported to be “clearing ISIS villages along both of the banks of the Khabour river,” the military analysis think tank reported.

Several breaches to the current cease-fire were reported and levels of violence correspondingly have increased.

Local sources reported on Twitter that Russian planes bombed six Syrian towns around Aleppo, and areas north of Homs. Thousands of Syrian refugees were reported to be stranded at the Turkish border after fleeing the northern commercial hub.

However, other news services such as Al Arabiya continued to report the truce “seems to be largely holding, though rebels report what they describe as occasional government violations.”

Hana Levi Julian

No Jews or Israelis Missing in Massive Bangkok Blast

Monday, August 17th, 2015

At least 15 people are believed to have been killed and 25 injured in a massive bombing attack that rocked the city of Bangkok, Thailand on Monday.

Many Jews and Israelis frequent the city as tourists, and a number of others visit for work in kashruth supervision and other industries. However, none are believed to have been present at the time of the blast, a local source told JewishPress.com .

Police said explosion left a huge crater close to the Erawan shrine in the center of the Thai capital.

The attack took place at about 7 pm local time in the central Chidlom district, next to a five-star hotel and near three major shopping centers, The Telegraph reported. Among the hotel chains in the area are the Holiday Inn, the InterContinental, Renaissance and Grand Hyatt.

Foreign tourists may have been among the casualties, according to a report by the BBC.

At least one more bomb has been discovered and defused by police officers thus far in the Ratchaprasong area, the news service reported.

The reason for the attack is not clear, and no terrorist group has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/no-jews-or-israelis-missing-in-massive-bangkok-blast/2015/08/17/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: