web analytics
December 26, 2014 / 4 Tevet, 5775
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘cabinet’

20 Years for Stone Throwers as Cabinet Stiffens Punishments for Rock Attacks, Road Terror

Sunday, November 2nd, 2014

Israel’s government this morning (Sunday, Nov. 2) approved an amendment to the penal code that will stiffen punishment for throwing stones at motor vehicles.

At its weekly cabinet meeting, the cabinet decided to add an amendment to the current penal code allowing judges to imprison a convicted terrorist for up to 20 years for throwing or casting stones or other objects at a motor vehicle.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, called for the legislation in recent discussions on the disturbances in Jerusalem.

“Israel is taking vigorous action against terrorists and those who throw stones, fire bombs and fireworks,” Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said at the start of the cabinet meeting.

“We will also pass stronger legislation on the issue. All of this is in order to restore quiet and security throughout Jerusalem.

“I have ordered that massive reinforcements be brought in and that additional means be used in order to ensure law and order in Israel’s capital,” Netanyahu added.

Unprecedented NIS 2b Development Plan for Southern Israel Gets Green Light

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014

Israel’s Cabinet today approved a proposal by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to invest NIS 2 billion in a long-term socioeconomic development plan in southern Israel.

The proposal is intended to upgrade civilian infrastructure in the fields of energy, industry, employment, health, agriculture, transportation, housing, social welfare, education, environmental protection, the economy and tourism, according to a statement released by the prime minister’s office.

The proposal comes in addition to one already approved Sunday by the Cabinet that included a detailed development plan for Sderot and communities along the Gaza border.

At the start of Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said that this plan “includes building an additional hospital in Be’er Sheva, paving roads, assisting small and intermediate businesses, and developing tourism enterprises in the south and around the country in the wake of Operation Protective Edge.”

The prime minister underlined the fact that the proposal came in addition to “the decision we made on Sunday to add over NIS 1 billion for Sderot” and communities in the Gaza Belt area.

“I told the mayors and local council heads that I met with yesterday at the Eshkol Regional Council that the State of Israel was not making these unprecedented investments just for show,” Netanyahu continued.

“We are doing so with a two-fold goal – investing in and deepening our hold on all parts of the country but also as a message to those who seek to uproot us, that they will never succeed in doing so. We are all responsible for this.

“I would like to wish all citizens of Israel a good and happy New Year. I would also like to wish ministers a good and happy year. We are working together in order to ensure the future of the State of Israel and the people of Israel. May we all have a good, prosperous, safe and quiet year.”

Gush Etzion Fence Vote Delayed

Sunday, September 21st, 2014

PM Netanyahu postponed today’s cabinet vote over the very controversial security fence between Gush Etzion and Jerusalem.

Out of the blue, last week Netanyahu said there would be a cabinet vote on the fence on Sunday.

After a lot of resistance from Jews and Arabs in Gush Etzion, as well as environmentalists, the plans to continue building the fence was frozen years ago. Residents were very surprised and angry when the issue suddenly came up again.

The Jerusalem segment of the fence would separate Gush Etzion from Jerusalem, and other segments of the fence would split Gush Etzion in half, as well as block it off from the areas around it.

There are long term plans to build a highway from Gush Etzion to the Dead Sea, which would cut the trip down to approximately 20 minutes. This fence could kill that plan too.

Netanyahu delayed the discussion in the cabinet until next week.

Cabinet to Vote Sunday on Cutting Gush Etzion Off from Jerusalem

Thursday, September 18th, 2014

PM Netanyahu’s Cabinet is set to vote on Sunday on part of the path of the Gush Etzion security barrier, according to an IDF Radio (Galei Tzahal) report on Thursday night.

For years, Arab and Jewish residents of Gush Etzion have strongly protested against this security fence, as both sides are against its construction. They managed to get the construction of the fence frozen until now.

In 2006, radical leftwing groups filed petitions to have the path of the fence moved onto the pre-67 side of the 1949 armistice line, rather than including Gush Etzion.

The entire fence, besides being an eyesore on some of the most pristine and beautiful landscapes in Israel, would cut off Gush Etzion from Jerusalem, and part of the fence would split Gush Etzion in two.

It would also potentially cut off the planned road from Gush Etzion directly to the Dead Sea, which is only 20 minutes by car.

Gush Etzion Mayor David Perl told Galei Tzahal that Netanyahu previously promised him that the fence was frozen and would not advance further.

Perl promised to continue to fight the fence construction.

Efrat activist Nadia Matar spoke with JewishPress.com and said, “We are very shocked. It is not logical that after the past war this summer, when it was proved that in no way should we ever create a PA state in our heartland, nor should we have fences – that now they are going to vote on this. It’s insanity! We call upon all the cabinet ministers to vote against it.”

It is not clear why the vote is being brought up in the cabinet at this time.

Israel Govt: ‘Operation Continues Until Quiet and Security Restored’

Sunday, August 10th, 2014

Palestinian Arab factions are growing impatient waiting in Cairo but Israel says truce talks are over until the rocket fire stops.

After a weekend in which Gaza terrorists fire more than 100 rockets at Israel, representatives of the Palestinian Arab factions in Cairo say they will leave on Sunday, because Israel refuses to negotiate under fire.

At 12:44 pm Sunday afternoon, a Code Red alert was flashed to residents of the Kerem Shalom community and surrounds, giving them 15 seconds to find shelter. It was the seventh such attack since midnight.

“Operation Protective Edge continues,” Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu stated as he opened Sunday’s weekly cabinet meeting at the offices of the defense ministry in Tel Aviv.

“We have not, at any point, said that it ended, and it will continue until it has achieved its goals. This will take time,” he said. “Israel will not conduct negotiations under fire and will work to change the reality to return security to its citizens.”

Because Hamas flatly refused to extend the cease fire, and Gaza terrorists began shelling southern Israeli communities four hours before the truce officially was set to end Friday morning, the Israeli delegation left Cairo. Representatives of the various Palestinian Arab factions – and those of Hamas as well, apparently – remained in Cairo, believing Egypt could persuade the Israelis to return.

But Jerusalem and Israel’s citizens have had enough of the incessant rocket attacks raining down upon civilian families, and no one is willing any longer to live their lives under fire. By Sunday morning, those factions were “threatening” to leave Cairo if the Israelis “don’t return to the table in the next 24 hours.”

The threat has moved no one in Israel, especially since Gaza terrorists had already fired six rocket attacks at Israeli civilians early Sunday morning.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said bluntly that he expected little, if anything, to result from such talks. “From the beginning I said that our goal should be to defeat Hamas… their minimal demands are beyond Israel’s maximal position. This situation cannot continue. If my recommendations had been accepted we would not be in this situation.”

Liberman’s view was supported by Interior Minister Gideon Sa’ar, who agreed that Israel needs to “destroy Hamas’s military power in Gaza. It was true in the past, and it is true now, in order to allow residents of the south to return home.”

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon vowed to silence the rocket fire – as he has in the past – addressing the growing outrage from southern residents who were told just three days ago that it was now “safe to go home.”

“If Hamas thinks it will exhaust us, it is wrong,” Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said. “We will not negotiate under fire. We entered talks in Cairo in good faith, and Hamas decided to renew its rocket fire on Israel.” The IDF responded with air strikes that destroyed a number of terrorist targets in Gaza.

“We will not compromise until rocket fire and terror completely stop,” Ya’alon promised. “We see the greater political and military picture, and we will not end the operation until quiet and security are returned to Israel’s citizens.”

Cabinet Decides Against IDF Gaza Op

Monday, July 7th, 2014

The Cabinet decided to not do an IDF op in Gaza, despite the escalation in rocket attacks.

The Cabinet did decide to respond more forcefully.

Cabinet Meeting Moved to Tel Aviv

Sunday, June 15th, 2014

The Sunday morning Cabinet meeting has been moved to Tel Aviv from Jerusalem this week.

The move was made to make it easier for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and other top officials to move quickly between that meeting and the Kirya IDF headquarters as the search continues for three yeshiva boys kidnapped by a terrorist organization as they were traveling home for the Sabbath last Thursday evening.

More than 30 such attempts have been foiled in 2013, and 14 so far in this calendar year thus far, the prime minister revealed in an address broadcast to the nation on Saturday evening after the Sabbath ended.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/cabinet-meeting-moved-to-tel-aviv/2014/06/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: